Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    “Everything happened” so writers can reference it, but this is explicitly the “retro” book that takes place in the past...Don’t take this book as a signifier of what is and isn’t canon, it’s just DC letting Waid play with the toys how he wants to.
    And thank goodness for that!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mighty Member

Don’t take this book as a signifier of what is and isn’t canon, it’s just DC letting Waid play with the toys how he wants to.
    Yeah, about that....

"What I can say is that the first arc of World's Finest is, was, and always has been, designed deliberately to lead into what is going to be Batman vs. Robin," the writer teases. "What I was trying to do with Batman versus Robin was try to take them into a realm that I'm not used to seeing them in, which is dark magic sorcery, rather than science, rather than logic and detective stuff. We've seen Batman and sort of peripheral magic, but I want to get into the down and dirty of it."
    https://www.thepopverse.com/batman-v...ahmud-asrar-dc

Wasn't expecting Waid to write a "modern" story like this.

Oh it’s in continuity, that’s been known from the start, but if you’re trying to say “Waid used the clay origin so that means the clay origin is canon!” you have to ignore that the recent Cloonrad WW run just reaffirmed the Daddy Zeus origin. Waid gets more freedom in B/S because it’s set in the “past”. And of course “everything matters” so maybe both origins are canon.

Guess DC is happy with how his return has been received and are going to start using him as one of their “big” writers. Interesting that Waid has no problem using Damian, I wonder if he doesn’t mind Batman having a son the way he dislikes the idea of Superman having one? He’s wanted to do more solo Batman stuff for a while, he’s said as much on Word Balloon, so now he gets his chance. I’ve enjoyed his take on a “throwback” Batman, but I am curious how he writes the modern Batman given his own part in creating “Batgod”.

Looks like the second arc will lead to another spinoff too, kinda hoping that will be Superman related, but we do still have that Superman BL book with Hitch coming later in the year.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Oh it’s in continuity, that’s been known from the start, but if you’re trying to say “Waid used the clay origin so that means the clay origin is canon!” you have to ignore that the recent Cloonrad WW run just reaffirmed the Daddy Zeus origin. Waid gets more freedom in B/S because it’s set in the “past”. And of course “everything matters” so maybe both origins are canon.

Guess DC is happy with how his return has been received and are going to start using him as one of their “big” writers. Interesting that Waid has no problem using Damian, I wonder if he doesn’t mind Batman having a son the way he dislikes the idea of Superman having one? He’s wanted to do more solo Batman stuff for a while, he’s said as much on Word Balloon, so now he gets his chance. I’ve enjoyed his take on a “throwback” Batman, but I am curious how he writes the modern Batman given his own part in creating “Batgod”.

Looks like the second arc will lead to another spinoff too, kinda hoping that will be Superman related, but we do still have that Superman BL book with Hitch coming later in the year.
    I'm genuinely surprised Williamson's not involved.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised Williamson's not involved.
    Williamson is still co-ordinating things I think, the solicitations for August reveal Damien and Flatline are gonna implode too

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Williamson is still co-ordinating things I think, the solicitations for August reveal Damien and Flatline are gonna implode too
    I feel like Williamson and Waid would work well together .

Incredible Member

another fan of Superman who uses Superman to get to Batman, I think Superman has plenty of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    another fan of Superman who uses Superman to get to Batman, I think Superman has plenty of fans.
    Why can't he just be fans of both?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Why can't he just be fans of both?
    You can be a fan of both, but when you use one of them just to get to the other, you're no longer a fan of both, you're a fan of one of them.

He literally has a Superman BL book with Hitch coming NaVI. That means he’s writing a Superman mini and a Batman mini in addition to Batman/Superman which is fine. If Waid wanted a Bat book I’m sure he could have one, it’s not like DC is skimpy on the number of Bat books.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-21-2022 at 05:07 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

He literally has a Superman BL book with Hitch coming NaVI. That means he’s writing a Superman mini and a Batman mini in addition to Batman/Superman which is fine. If Waid wanted a Bat book I’m sure he could have one, it’s not like DC is skimpy on the number of Bat books.
    Yeah, especially considering that every talent that walks in and asks for one is getting one. There's no way Mark Waid saying "I want a Batman limited series" doesn't end with him walking out with a green light.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    You can be a fan of both, but when you use one of them just to get to the other, you're no longer a fan of both, you're a fan of one of them.
    Are you not familiar with Waid? He's a big name writer who LOVES Superman, but also the DC universe as a whole, which also obviously includes Batman.

The fact that this will be a separate mini-series and not part of the main World's Finest series, means he didn't use Superman to get to Batman. Whatever that means.