Page 31 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Cover sketches for issue 1 of WF by Dan Mora:

I love C the most myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    spoilers:
    Damn, I think you nailed it. And Magog and Kingdom Come started as a rebuttal of Silver Age icons as paragons of morality, so it makes sense to present his origin in such a Silver Age-inspired book because he'd be the one be be against the kind of mythology (as it'd be his encounter with the Joker what harmed him).

Plus the obvious, Magog's name is David (Reid), so he probably changed his last name or something.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Oh right I didn’t even notice they had the same first name, good catch! Yeah Waid I’m sure has long wanted Magog to be one of Superman’s ongoing Rogues, and several people have tried, but the problem is that Magog is less a character in KC than he is just a symbol. He’s everything Waid and Ross hated about the 90s antiheroes with the amusing caveat that after they made him, they both ended up actually liking him. Now Waid might be trying to flesh him out to the point that he’s more than that. Not sure if I’ll ever like or care about him to the extent I do Manchester Black, Black frankly is just cooler and is more entertaining to see interact with Superman, but I’ve certainly enjoyed World’s Finest enough to give Waid a chance. I do hope Waid has thought about ways to differentiate between the two since comparisons are inevitable given both Manchester and (if I’m right) Magog are being featured in important stories right now.
    end of spoilers
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Singled out this nugget of a line from Waid in an interview about DC Big Bang:

I'm staying on World's Finest till I die, so there’s gonna be time

Full article:
    https://www.gamesradar.com/dark-cris...to-continuity/
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Singled out this nugget of a line from Waid in an interview about DC Big Bang:

Full article:
    https://www.gamesradar.com/dark-cris...to-continuity/
    Best of both worlds for him, gets to play in the two biggest sandboxes at DC, in a form he prefers over the “present” status quo, and if he just wants to do Superman or Batman solo there’s always BL. Took him over a decade of waiting for Didio to leave but he finally got his dream gig. Hopefully he will get that long run and keep up his current quality level, I want to see him play with all the major Superman Rogues (and see Mora draw them of course).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Best of both worlds for him, gets to play in the two biggest sandboxes at DC, in a form he prefers over the “present” status quo, and if he just wants to do Superman or Batman solo there’s always BL. Took him over a decade of waiting for Didio to leave but he finally got his dream gig. Hopefully he will get that long run and keep up his current quality level, I want to see him play with all the major Superman Rogues (and see Mora draw them of course).
    I hope so

Because I cannot tell you how much I am worried about mark waid as a writer

He seems like another more talented but equally problematic Geoff Johns, a silver age nostalgia addict who will not rest till he erases everything that does not match his silver age headcanon.

He only agreed with Wally West’s existence because Wally west is a silver age character, nothing more.

He wrote the champions, yes, but he also never cared for marvel as much as he does for DC

I cannot tell you how often I’ve seen talent and professionalism fall right out of the window the second a talented writer finally gets to write the characters he always wanted.

Nrama: Were there any particular multiverses that stood out for either of you?

Mark Waid: Yes; Batman Gray and Batman Blue. I cannot wait someday to tell the story of Batman Gray and Batman Blue.
    From the article The Frog Bros posted, I’d wager this is teasing a future WF’s arc.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

More Silver-Age nostalgia to balance out the post-Crisis nostalgia of the other books.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    More Silver-Age nostalgia to balance out the post-Crisis nostalgia of the other books.
    Went full Silver Age fanboy over in the Big Bang issue. Threw in a bunch of obscure Earths from Pre-Crisis that nobody but him will ever care about. That’s why it’s for the best that Waid stick to books where he doesn’t have to deal with present day DC and can just let his inner child run wild. Least the Shazam fans can rest easy knowing Waid is probably pushing hard as he can to go back to “Captain Marvel” and undo all of Johns’ retcons for his run there.

Went full Silver Age fanboy over in the Big Bang issue. Threw in a bunch of obscure Earths from Pre-Crisis that nobody but him will ever care about. That’s why it’s for the best that Waid stick to books where he doesn’t have to deal with present day DC and can just let his inner child run wild. Least the Shazam fans can rest easy knowing Waid is probably pushing hard as he can to go back to “Captain Marvel” and undo all of Johns’ retcons for his run there.
    It's a lost cause, Johns is back at DC and will retcons Waid's retcons as soon he'll find out.

It's a lost cause, Johns is back at DC and will retcons Waid's retcons as soon he'll find out.
    That's the next crisis event.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    That's the next crisis event.
    Dr. Manhattan Strikes Again.

From the article The Frog Bros posted, I’d wager this is teasing a future WF’s arc.
    I'm guessing Batman gets split into Silver Age Bats and Golden Age Bats.

Those two being back at DC at the same time is hilarious, because neither one strikes me as being willing to compromise at this point their careers. Waid is old and wants to touch on all the franchises Didio blocked him from, Johns has the Hollywood gig to fall back on if DC gives him grief. There should not be too much overlap, Johns has his Golden Age books where he’s carving out a little fiefdom for himself, Waid seems more in the center of things but is still mainly keeping to his own “verse” of books that aren’t too involved in the mainline. However they both might be in the Superman sphere, Waid with WF, Johns with LoSH, not directly connected at least, and then there’s Shazam. Glad they pried him out of Johns’ death grip but if Waid flops then I wouldn’t be surprised if Johns snatched him right back. Be a shock if Waid did flop on that premise given how badly he’s wanted it for ages and how suited for him it seems to be.

Those two being back at DC at the same time is hilarious, because neither one strikes me as being willing to compromise at this point their careers. Waid is old and wants to touch on all the franchises Didio blocked him from, Johns has the Hollywood gig to fall back on if DC gives him grief. There should not be too much overlap, Johns has his Golden Age books where he’s carving out a little fiefdom for himself, Waid seems more in the center of things but is still mainly keeping to his own “verse” of books that aren’t too involved in the mainline. However they both might be in the Superman sphere, Waid with WF, Johns with LoSH, not directly connected at least, and then there’s Shazam. Glad they pried him out of Johns’ death grip but if Waid flops then I wouldn’t be surprised if Johns snatched him right back. Be a shock if Waid did flop on that premise given how badly he’s wanted it for ages and how suited for him it seems to be.
    From what I remember Johns and Waid were pretty cool with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    All four of the 52 writers were close at one point. Are they still? Who knows. It’s not that I think there’s bad blood or anything, but both of those two are guys with strong opinions on how things should work. Johns also had a habit of overwriting Waid’s attempts to leave a mark on Superman. Secret Origin replacing Birthright, Waid’s LoSH reboot getting replaced by Johns’ Retroboot. Waid might want to make sure history doesn’t repeat itself there with his final endeavors to work at DC.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Professionalism and talent always fall out of the window when ones favorite characters are on the line