Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

While I love Waid and appreciate how he's writing Dick and the Titans, I don't understand why people is enjoying this title.
    This issue Gotham river final scene is silly as closing the door with the batmobile, for one thing.
    I would really like to have fun but I can't.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Personally, I'm really enjoying that this is a charming and uncomplicated action title that does a great job balancing it's (self-indulgently) large cast of characters I love. The stakes are as high as in any book, but the focus isn't on how many people are dying, a city on fire or how the hero(s) have been brought to breaking point, it's about heroes doing the impossible because it needs to be done. That's the magic of superhero comics.

I have a few gripes here and there but the overwhelming, self-aware fun of it all more than overcomes them.

What are your issues with it?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    No it appears it’s another Nezha situation where a story from the past will come back to haunt in the present.
    I'm hoping for a solo with an adult David. But him popping up as antagonist for Superman or the Titans is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    While I love Waid and appreciate how he's writing Dick and the Titans, I don't understand why people is enjoying this title.
    This issue Gotham river final scene is silly as closing the door with the batmobile, for one thing.
    I would really like to have fun but I can't.
    I just find it a fun title.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-16-2022 at 07:28 AM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Personally, I'm really enjoying that this is a charming and uncomplicated action title that does a great job balancing it's (self-indulgently) large cast of characters I love. The stakes are as high as in any book, but the focus isn't on how many people are dying, a city on fire or how the hero(s) have been brought to breaking point, it's about heroes doing the impossible because it needs to be done. That's the magic of superhero comics.

I have a few gripes here and there but the overwhelming, self-aware fun of it all more than overcomes them.

Well there are some heavy ingredients for my tastes
    1) Batman and Superman working together
    2) Past stories untold
    3) Magic. I hate magic!
    These are not the best of premises for me. But this is just me.

You have been exhaustive and well explained which is the virtue of this title. And I can see it too.
    My issue is that is not enough for my tastes, and maybe I'm expecting too much from Waid.

Incredible Member

Magic, as well as similar "out-there" / undefined concepts, are used because it makes for easier writing when it comes to threats that can believably affect both Batman and Superman. Magic by definition doesn't follow physical rules (even comic book-y ones) so the writer can make a threat that can hurt Superman but doesn't immediately immolate Batman with relatively i¡little difficulty.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

Yeah, I've really been enjoying the silver age tone and the mix of action and coming of age story telling a lot.

I think my only negative is Key...he just doesn't work as a villain. He's not well known, and even to those that do remember him it's not fondly and he doesn't get any development or characterization here so there's nothing to make you interested here either.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #10 Preview
    Writer: Mark Waid
    Artist: Dan Mora

Not sure why Joker cares about the secret identities...

Extraordinary Member

Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #11 Preview
    Artist: Dan Mora

So...Phantom Zone? Some way of taking his powers away?

Taking his powers seems like a viable way to go. Or maybe trying to send him back to his own world, possibly with him ending up on earth-22 (Kingdom Come) instead of wherever he actually comes from (since there's no heroes on his earth)? Or maybe the future with the Legion? They certainly have experience helping kids figure out their powers and being the best version of themselves.

They wouldn't send him to an Oan scien-cell would they?

Enjoying the hell out of the book either way. Best thing I've seen from Waid in a long time.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Issue #11 was Ok, but very fast moving, and David's story wrapped up to easily I think. Mora kills it again on art.

I got the Jack White variant.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member

Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #12 Preview
    Artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

I love how Kara instantly thinks Dick is boyfriend material and back when he wasn't even wearing pants .

Ah, so that's where the Discowing design came from...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Man, how did they miss out on getting this out for valentines day?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!