Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Four votes for Shalla Bal 's Sun Girl

Oh snap, we have a winnah!

Way to go, Shalla Bal!

Congratulations to Shalla Bal!

And thanks to kjn, Catlady in training and Iron Maiden!
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Congrats Shalla Bal! PM on the way. Great entries everyone, thanks to all who participated and/or voted. Merry Christmas all!

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

So close, and yet so far!

Oh well. Congrats to Shalla Bal.

And thanks to everyone who appreciated the combination of the brilliant artistry of Matt Baker, and the strangely sexually charged nature of many 1950s romance covers.

Congrats Shalla Bal!
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Congrats to Shalla on a win in a week with a lot of very good covers.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Congratulations, Shalla Bal! Also, thank you to babyblob for the kind vote.

Great job Shalla Bal! There were really so many great covers this year it was hard to choose. I also really enjoyed Cat Lady In Training cover as well. Ray Also had a great one!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Congratulations to Shalla Bal for a cover with many levels of meta. First, the popularity of the Sun Girl book. Every other passenger is reading it and for a second issue, that's a pretty big claim. Second, Not one of the men are offering Sun Girl their seat. Even in the 21st century, this is not only frowned upon, but actually rare. I guess comic fans need to get some manners, LOL!

As to the peak of the week where the captain goes on about what he's learned from this contest, it's been clear over a few recent themes that comics rely on both the fantastic and the mundane which serves as a link to its readers. An English teacher back in school once told us that most fiction broke down into two groups: the existence of a fantastic item in a normal setting or the existence of a normal item in a fantastic setting. Most comics pretty much follow these groupings.

And I must confess about the votes of Raving Ray and Shalla Bal, "How Sweet They Are!"
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Scott Taylor 'cuz that cover inspired the poster for a Bond film, For Your Eyes Only.

Those are practically the same exact image! Thanks for the vote and humor, Capt. This happens to be my favorite Bond film.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 12-22-2021 at 04:35 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Yay, Shalla Bal!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Congrats to Shalla Bal!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Thank you everyone, this is truly a surprise!
    Special thanks to icctrombone, seismic-2, Riv86672 and Ajax_X.

I'm in the middle of something right now but I will have the new contest up within a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Shalla Bal

I was unacquainted with the Sun Girl comic book, and this cover art makes me want to learn about it.
    @seismic-2: Sun Girl was published by Timely/Marvel back in 1948. Her own comic debuted in mid-1948, as did new series for Namora and Venus. At the time Timely/Marvel was playing up female heroes. Sun Girl's own series lasted a mere three issues, but she continued to appear in Human Torch stories. She was drawn by Golden Age artist Ken Bald; after a long career he passed away in 2019 at the ripe old age of 98!

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Yes, you can. You go in the top menu, click on Forum Actions and then General Settings. And on the left menu, under Miscellanous, you have Attachments. There you can remove attachments.
    Thank you--worked perfectly!!!