Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Batman/Superman #13 discussion (comics are so fun!)

Greg Pak, what else can Superlad93 say about Greg Pak that he really hasn't already? Not much really. But it's a good thing I don't get tired of repeating myself!

In the sea of "okayness" that is the doomed event (I gave it a good go, really I did and Pak's Action comics book is still bought without fail but yeah) there is Batman/Superman #13 written by Pak and drawn by Lee. THIS. BOOK. WAS. PERFECT. I mean that with all sincerity. It was sharp and punchy with the story and dialog. Didn't hold your hand or pontificate over set up for what could have been a rather monotonous set up. In stead it take you by the hand and bring you back to that feeling everyone must have head with Action comics #1 back in the 30's. It just goes strongly and confidently. Introducing ideas as it plays along. Superman back as the instinct driven man of action, and Batman even using a gun.

Speaking of the old days (and I almost can't hold this in anymore!) but don't think I didn't catch how Mr. Pak took both characters back to their golden age incarnations so seamlessly. It's almost like the idea is that even when their devoid of their memories and lives the revert to what makes sense. That primal action form they had when they first came on the scene. Beautifully done.

I'd like to take a special moment to point out that most writers would have taken the time out to have us gawk at the parallels to the golden age and what they were going for. Almost like a child who used the potty for the first time (it's cute when you're a toddler and not an adult). Pak just did it and had us see the connection on our own. Then at the same time the man is unfolding new story ideas and concepts along with old ones. The final page was a head turner when you stop to think about it. Also the costume is fantastic!

So much to really say about this. I'd love some discussion to see what others thought because I really haven't had this much fun with a comic since Multiverity last week and that is saying something.

Fantastic Member butterfingers158's Avatar

All aboard! The Superman/Catwoman ship is loading up to leave port!

Haha good one! But please no ship war nonsense here. I'd really appreciate this fantastic book stand on it's own.

I REALLY did enjoy their dynamic in this issue. Catwoman as the bad influence who's waving around the biggest gun imaginable. I have to wonder what her end game is? I imagine she knows who Superman is and is just playing dumb to play the role of the "friend who's gonna help you figure this thing out". Pak nicely tied this back to his first arc and recaptured why I loved this book in the first place. The return of Superman and Batman's first foe together was really nice.

While we're speaking on the ladies of this issue, I really enjoyed Pak's Lois here. Most of all I liked how fast he got her in here and how close to the plot he got her too. Taking the "Superman won't hurt me if I have you" thing and playing with it a bit. I also enjoyed that she is investigating Mangubat's case. The whole thing with her felt so classic and fun.

Also, what?! he turned that whole train into a robot?! Sick!
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-28-2014 at 01:16 AM.

There are quite a few moving parts in this comic and I'm so excited to she how the whole thing works in the end! Up next we'll be hitting the town with Superman and Catwoman and Batman and Lois will be hot on the trail.

Anyone think she'll learn who Batman is by the end of this?

This was a really fun issue. It had the same style and appeal as the first arc when Superman and Batman visited Earth 2. This took a more comical approach, having them be amnesiac. It sounds like the plot of a bad sitcom, but Pak makes it work here. It's fun, witty, and entertaining. With all the stuff going on in Futures End and Superman: Doomed, this book was a welcome change of pace. I think there needs to be books like that, even when the others are in the middle of a major event.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Cool

Best episode of Quantum Leap ever!

Batman Superman 13 page 5.jpg
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Spectacular Member

Only thing that was missing from this excellent issue was one more scene with Superman and Catwoman as they're choosing his new costume. They were lacking a slower moment that Bruce had with his return to the mansion.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I couldn't get into this issue at all. Beautiful cover though.

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Best episode of Quantum Leap ever!

Batman Superman 13 page 5.jpg
    As soon as I read this the theme song started playing in my head
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

BANNED

I've never read B/S before but I picked this up for Catwoman and Lois. I was impressed with the art, and the story was new-reader friendly. I'll get the next two issues of this arc for sure. Hopefully there will be some fun Selina/Lois interaction next issue.

I haven't read the book since a bit after the first arc, but this was great. So what did I miss? I read the first few issues of the toyman arc but didn't stick with it, and I know there was the crossover with WF. Its not a bad jumping on point, but anyone care to fill me in on any relevant details?

Fantastic Member butterfingers158's Avatar

Read #12, it will explain pretty much everything and isn't attached to a crossover or anything.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superlad, you have good taste in all things SUPER so I plan on giving this issue another read today.

Why thank you! And please do! I meant ever word of my post and stand by it. It was just damn good comic books from cover to cover. Also really great sub textual nods to the character history done in the most modest of ways that you almost wish Pak would take more "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME" credit for it given it's brilliance. This issue was very nearly perfect.

In Pak we trust.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-30-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Aw man! Awesome issue. This is such a treat. Don't know what I'll do once the guy leaves.