Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

It's the anti-Rise of Skywalker. It's a satisfying conclusion to the latest trilogy, which ends up elevating some of the weaker films from previous sagas by providing some satisfying payoff. I'm happy to see Jamie Foxx in a good Spider-Man movie, although that's not the best payoff to Amazing Spider-Man 2.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Just got back from it. So glad I could see this in a packed theater- the crowd reactions made everything that much better. And it was nice to know that a new generation still appreciated the older movies, which may have come out before they were born.

And now I feel old.

Is it me, or is Willem Dafoe strangely ageless? He looked younger here than he did in the original Spider-Man.

"I'm something of a scientist myself." got applause from the audience.

Strange was a dick here, but it was understandable. And there was respect between him and Peter that was mutual.

Loved seeing the two other Peters- and I loved the fact that Andrew Garfield got a very excited round of applause. I liked him a Spider-Man. That said- with the exception of Electro, who got a real chance to shine (pun intended), they did make his villains into jokes. (Poor Rhino). And it was shocking that he never directly mentioned Harry Osborne, just that Gwen died.

I loved the interactions between the three Peters- the callbacks to their films, the two Peter's wondering over the first's organic web shooters, the other two Peter's not knowing what an Avenger is. We even got the pointing scene in the lab.

Garfield saving MJ got a major cheer, and I loved how he was near tears when he did. Finally redemption for Gwen.

Raimi's villains were the real heavies, though. I'm glad that Doc Ock was still redeemed, and that Flint's motivation was strictly to get home to his daughter. I'm glad he could speak now, though.

Even now, I'm not sure how much Norman was playing Peter in the end. I suppose the turn was when Peter's spider-sense kicked in, but Norman is a crafty man.

Was Norman this strong in the original Spider-Man? He kicked some serious ass in the condo.

So, why was SWAT already on the way to the condo? This was my biggest sticking point in the whole movie: Spider-Man was an Avenger. He fought Thanos, and helped save the Earth. And okay, Mysterio sent out that doctored video. But are you telling me that none of the Avengers could come to his defense? That they couldn't contact Fury, who had to know the Skrull was impersonating him, to back Peter up? Hell, on the bridge the lady from MIT (who's actress also happened to be the lead in CSI: Vegas) recognized Peter as a hero, and probably all of the other people he saved as well. But those cops at the condo went in shooting. It just didn't play right to me.

I did kind of hope that Peter would hire Matt Murdock (he got a cheer as well) to sue J. Jonah Jameson for slander (it WOULD be slander this time, because it WASN'T in print.

I suppose the big question that will never be answered is- did they survive when they went back to their worlds? Otto was in control again when he pulled his machine into the river, and it seems that he was pulled through moments before that happened. Same thing with Electro. And if Norman is cured when he goes back- does that mean that Harry never takes the serum and becomes the New Goblin?

They pulled the Spider-Man 2 ending here, with Peter walking away from everyone to keep them safe. I wonder how long this will stick for.

It's interesting where they left him- no more Stark tech, no more fancy suits, no more support from the Avengers or his friends. Back to basics in a room very reminiscent of Peter's apartment from Spider-Man 2/3, and a home-made costume (comic accurate, just like most of the costumes of this phase have been).

So now we got the symbiote on Earth. Will we get a more faithful adaptation of the Black suit this time? Will Sony be okay with two Venom's walking around at the same time?

All in all, it wasn't better than Endgame. But I'd give it a close second.

And now I got to go watch What If?, because apparently that will tie into the Doctor Strange movie.

I went in not expecting much as IMO I think the Holland films aren't that good but man did this one hit it out of the Park[er] *lol*
    It's my 2nd favorite Spidey movie after the iconic [imo] first Raimi Spider-Man
    it could've used a tighter edit as some scenes dragged
    The thing that bothered me the most was the after-credits sequence which was basically a trailer for the next Doctor Strange movie. I would've liked a scene that tied into the movie
    So basically MJ & Ned forgot that they went to school with Peter
    Also nice to see JJJ back being his hateful self

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Was Norman this strong in the original Spider-man? He kicked some serious ass in the condo.
    He was strong enough to hold a cable car filled with kids etc suspended with one hand. He did that with ease in the first film. So yeah, I think he was.

So, why was SWAT already on the way to the condo? This was my biggest sticking point in the whole movie: Spider-Man was an Avenger. He fought Thanos, and helped save the Earth. And okay, Mysterio sent out that doctored video. But are you telling me that none of the Avengers could come to his defense? That they couldn't contact Fury, who had to know the Skrull was impersonating him, to back Peter up? Hell, on the bridge the lady from MIT (who's actress also happened to be the lead in CSI: Vegas) recognized Peter as a hero, and probably all of the other people he saved as well. But those cops at the condo went in shooting. It just didn't play right to me.
    They got tipped off by those guys I think. The ones who walked past the FEAST truck with Lizard in it. I think one of them was the same guy who approached Jameson. Maybe Jameson got the tip and alerted authorities so he could be there to broadcast the capture.

They pulled the Spider-Man 2 ending here, with Peter walking away from everyone to keep them safe. I wonder how long this will stick for.
    He will get a new support cast moving forward. I think he will be more cautious now in relation to who he reveals his identity to.

It's interesting where they left him- no more Stark tech, no more fancy suits, no more support from the Avengers or his friends. Back to basics in a room very reminiscent of Peter's apartment from Spider-Man 2/3, and a home-made costume (comic accurate, just like most of the costumes of this phase have been).
    The apartment was a nice touch. It isn't the same layout, but close enough to pay homage towards. I think he took inspiration from the other Spidey's suits when he created his (I'll have to zoom in on the ending footage to see if any of it is reminiscent though).

So now we got the symbiote on Earth. Will we get a more faithful adaptation of the Black suit this time? Will Sony be okay with two Venom's walking around at the same time?
    I think it's a great idea. It's the beauty of establishing a Multiverse. It allows the MCU to have a Brock who is villainous and do the Black Costume Saga again if they want. The MCU gets one and Sony gets one. Same as there is nothing stopping them from using the other Spidey's if they want again in other movies (wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't going through the Sony executives heads at one point when they heard the plot). Either way, Sony makes money.

Incredible Member

Just got back from seeing it, it was incredible.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's the anti-Rise of Skywalker. It's a satisfying conclusion to the latest trilogy, which ends up elevating some of the weaker films from previous sagas by providing some satisfying payoff. I'm happy to see Jamie Foxx in a good Spider-Man movie, although that's not the best payoff to Amazing Spider-Man 2.
    The best possible payoff to the amazing spiderman 2 was Andrew Garfields spiderman saving MJ and not missing the save. I actually teared up at the display of emotion on his face. Andrew was so good in this movie it makes me miss him. And the spiderman bromance between them and the support, if only most of us had that kind of backing in life.

I liked this movie a lot

It was messy but overall was fun and very emotional when it needed to be

Surprised they killed May - it’s something that should have happened in the comics a long time ago, and hit better than Spider-Man PS4 did imo.

Although the multiverse aspects could have been done better, basing it around what it means to be PETER PARKER made it worth it. If Into The Spider-Verse was “anyone can be spider-man” then No Way Home was “No one can be Peter Parker but Peter Parker”, and that interests me more.

It ended really well, with an interesting riff on one more day. MCU is great at taking rubbish storylines and actually making them work (Civil War being the other prime example).

Willem Dafoe was particularly good in this movie and was able to play up his mania and insanity more so than in the Raimi versions

I think Holland’s Peter has become my favourite. Tobey’s is too weird and Andrew’s is too dickish. However Andrew’s in particular was so much more likeable in this film.

I love the main crux of the film being Peter wanting to stop these people from dying.

This film made me want to see more solo Holland films but also a proper team up film for the three Spider-Men where Tobey and Andrew can have more to do!

Don’t care for the symbiote being teased. Venom and joker are the two villains I actively cant bear watching/read anymore.

Doctor Strange looks great, and has Raimi’s stamp all over it

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I liked this movie a lot

It was messy but overall was fun and very emotional when it needed to be

Surprised they killed May - it’s something that should have happened in the comics a long time ago, and hit better than Spider-Man PS4 did imo.

Although the multiverse aspects could have been done better, basing it around what it means to be PETER PARKER made it worth it. If Into The Spider-Verse was “anyone can be spider-man” then No Way Home was “No one can be Peter Parker but Peter Parker”, and that interests me more.

It ended really well, with an interesting riff on one more day. MCU is great at taking rubbish storylines and actually making them work (Civil War being the other prime example).

Willem Dafoe was particularly good in this movie and was able to play up his mania and insanity more so than in the Raimi versions

I think Holland’s Peter has become my favourite. Tobey’s is too weird and Andrew’s is too dickish. However Andrew’s in particular was so much more likeable in this film.

I love the main crux of the film being Peter wanting to stop these people from dying.

This film made me want to see more solo Holland films but also a proper team up film for the three Spider-Men where Tobey and Andrew can have more to do!

Don’t care for the symbiote being teased. Venom and joker are the two villains I actively cant bear watching/read anymore.

Doctor Strange looks great, and has Raimi’s stamp all over it
    Someone else mentioned that destroying the goblin mask was a good choice in this movie. Willem Dafoe has a face that looks like it was engineered in a lab to be menacing and manic with that crazy eyed smile. No mask can do better than showing Willems face with his exaggerated voice as the green goblin.

I liked Andrew so much in this movie I want more of him, pity we probably won't get that. I loved the comraderie and comparing notes from being spiderman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Someone else mentioned that destroying the goblin mask was a good choice in this movie. Willem Dafoe has a face that looks like it was engineered in a lab to be menacing and manic with that crazy eyed smile. No mask can do better than showing Willems face with his exaggerated voice as the green goblin.

I liked Andrew so much in this movie I want more of him, pity we probably won't get that. I loved the comraderie and comparing notes from being spiderman.
    Yeah true, Dafoe is an absolute gem of an actor, and he has such a cinematic look. A great example of this is in The Lighthouse where he absolutely shines. He had so many great, threatening moments in this movie. I actually hoped he’d somehow stay in the MCU and be in a future movie for Holland.

I’m holding out hope for another team up movie down the line!

Also, so glad that they stuck to their guns and still haven’t mentioned Holland’s uncle Ben. I love how Aunt May got that role, and I just wish there was more of her throughout the trilogy

I'll have a bigger review later but I have to say that now I can officially consider Tom to be my Spider-Man. Seeing Tobey again was pure nostalgia and Andrew stole the show in the third act (not surprising since he is easily the best actor of the three). I wish he had been in better movies because from a characterization standpoint, he was amazing. Saving MJ and crying was probably the highlight of the movie as far as I'm concerned

Other quick comment: Green Goblin is now the definitive Spider-Man villain and Dafoe is Norman Osborne. There won't be an MCU GG now because Dafoe has firmly established himself as the only version of that character. Don't want to see Goblin again for another two decades

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I'll have a bigger review later but I have to say that now I can officially consider Tom to be my Spider-Man. Seeing Tobey again was pure nostalgia and Andrew stole the show in the third act (not surprising since he is easily the best actor of the three). I wish he had been in better movies because from a characterization standpoint, he was amazing. Saving MJ and crying was probably the highlight of the movie as far as I'm concerned

Other quick comment: Green Goblin is now the definitive Spider-Man villain and Dafoe is Norman Osborne. There won't be an MCU GG now because Dafoe has firmly established himself as the only version of that character. Don't want to see Goblin again for another two decades
    At this point if Sony wants a new Goblin they have an easy origin for Hobgoblin.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

They can do whatever they want now and I can see them doing a new GG for the MCU…

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    They can do whatever they want now and I can see them doing a new GG for the MCU…
    Nah I think all the villains in this movie aren't showing up in future villains. Not like Spidey doesn't have many more great villains to adapt. But re-using the Raimi and Webb villains felt like Feige acknowledging that they did a great job with their portrayals and that he won't recast them

2 other observations:

1. It took 3 movies, but we finally got 'With great power, comes great responsibility.'

2. Quite possibly the best use of Bluetooth ever in a movie

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    There are several other Goblins out there to adapt. We probably won't get GG again, but there is always Hobgoblin or Demigoblin. Or they could try and adapt the Ultimate Green Goblin (ugh).