Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    You're in the wrong thread

While I expect at least MJ to get her memories back by the end of the next movie, I could see them trying at least two other love interests. They could use Kitty Pryde, and by doing so introduce Mutants into the MCU; or they could introduce a new Gwen Stacy, and perhaps even have her be Spider-Gwen.
    [Yeah, they may introduce other love interests, but practically speaking Zendaya is probably too popular, and MJ too iconic, for them to let that situation go on permanently. Ned too, probably, as he seems quite a popular character. Don’t know about anyone else, although TBH Happy may be done in the MCU and Strange was really the only other major character left alive who really knew Peter.
    Last edited by Dzetoun; 12-19-2021 at 10:32 PM.

Was not expecting this movie to make me cry multiple times. My wife has never seen the Andrew Garfield films and she cried when he saved MJ. Guess that was just on the strength of Garfield’s acting. She didn’t know any of the subtext. May being this peters Uncle Ben got to me. Then for whatever reason was hit in the feels when Strange didn’t wanna do the spell at the end and let it slip he cared about Peter. Then obviously saying bye to Mj and then running into Happy at Mays grave and he didn’t know who Peter was killed me.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

What's up in the air right now is who remember exactly what. Do the Avengers remember fighting alongside Spider-Man against Thanos? Do they remember Germany? Does Strange still remember who Peter is? He seemed to imply that he cast that spell before, and he knew exactly what he cast it for. That suggests that the caster of the spell could still remember Peter.
    Everyone remembers Spider-Man. And everything they did with him, or he did for them.

Nobody remembers Peter Parker.

So yes, the Avengers still remember everything they did, and that Spidey was there. They just won't remember ever knowing his secret ID or seeing his face. Strange presumably remembers that he cast the spell for Spider-man, but no longer has any recollection of who Spider-man is under the mask. And if he remembers casting the spell, then he knows he did it willingly and won't question it or poke around about it because he knows he did it for a good person, for the right reasons.

Effectively, Peter Parker no longer exists. And needs to be rebuilt from scratch.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Loved the movie and loved going to a movie again in a theater that was at least 2/3 full. It was a matinee so maybe the evening crowd could have been bigger.

I can't remember the last time I heard applause during a movie as when Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield made their appearance.

IMO Tobey McGuire is to Spider-Man what Michael Keaton is to Batman. He's still the one I like the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I think it is going to be Gwen, because Andrew- Spiderman name dropped Gwen, Gwen and Miles Morales are the likely next two characters to show up. however i dont think that will last (perter/gwen). part of the Holland package is to sell the high school sweet heart angle, I still see Spiderman and MJ as the endgame here, even if in real life Holland and Zandaya break up.
    Provided that Marvel can still afford Zandaya. If she wants more cash they might move on.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Swiss army nerd

Saw this last night and really, really liked it. It was a deliberate reclaiming of Peter Parker from the MCU, making him more Spider-Man than an MCU player, which I approve of. While the first two Holland movies set up Tony and his legacy as Peter's mentor and motivator, Peter's mentor in this film is literally other Spider-Men, and Aunt May. Giving May the power and responsibility line was a lovely move, too. Ecstatic Peter is now basically poor, not supported with fancy tech or billionaires etc. He's just more recognisably Spider-Man now.

Holland, Maguire and especially Garfield put in fantastic performances. Likewise Zendaya. And Molina and Dafoe. Just superbly acted all round, honestly.

Very happy Spider-fan.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Decent film a 6 or 7/10. Not worth the hype. Weak writing not as bad as Endgame however (Ned asspull was so ridiculous man can they just write him out of future movies please), best things from the movie were all the non Holland MCU stuff. Dafoe best villain in a marvel movie since Spider-man 2! Not having his helmet on was a genius move!

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    Saw this last night and really, really liked it. It was a deliberate reclaiming of Peter Parker from the MCU, making him more Spider-Man than an MCU player, which I approve of. While the first two Holland movies set up Tony and his legacy as Peter's mentor and motivator, Peter's mentor in this film is literally other Spider-Men, and Aunt May. Giving May the power and responsibility line was a lovely move, too. Ecstatic Peter is now basically poor, not supported with fancy tech or billionaires etc. He's just more recognisably Spider-Man now.

Holland, Maguire and especially Garfield put in fantastic performances. Likewise Zendaya. And Molina and Dafoe. Just superbly acted all round, honestly.

Very happy Spider-fan.
    Absolutely, I hated Spider-man in the MCU. I feel like Batman, Spider-man is better off having self contained movies/universe.
    Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan; 12-20-2021 at 05:35 AM.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

It was crazy seeing my local theaters parking lots packed all around town. Happy to see people deciding to live again and take risks.
    Keep in mind sporting events have been going on all year, both indoor and outdoor. Along with other types of events like concerts, fairs, etc.
    Don't let people crap all over this movie and the people who went to see it. I've already seen people trying to blame this movie on the impending doom due to that virus floating around in the air with all of the other viruses.

Even though I'm not a Spidey fan, all this hype does pique my interest. Happy for all of you Spidey fans, truly.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think all the villains got to shine in this movie. As someone who never really liked the Defoe Goblin this movie really turned that around. Who know just losing that stupid helmet could make such a difference. The biggest redemption has to be Jamie Fox as Electro though. I loved this version of Electro. That little talk he and Garfield had after he was beaten cracked me up too. You help the little guys you live in Queens I just thought you were black and then Garfield saying I'm sure there is a black Spider-Man out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    3. Peter Parker wanting to cure all those guys is one of the most "Spider-man" acts we've seen in the movies.
    When Spider-Man kept insisting on curing the villains, even when Dr. Strange and the villains themselves were against it, at first it made me upset with Spidey and I was thinking he was just wasting his time. Then I remembered where I'd had that feeling before - it was common while reading many of the Spider-Man comic books over the years.

This movie had quite a few of those moments that were true to the heart of what Spider-Man should be.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Glorious and unapologetically silly movie. The number of tongue in cheek references to the bad decisions of the past were surprising and welcome. I don’t really want a superhero movie to take itself too seriously and that was never on the cards here from the opening.

Willem Dafoe stole the movie. I had forgotten how good he was but there were moments here that brought back the character’s stand out moments from comics. The way they handled Garfield was genius. Acknowledging the issues with his movies and actively progressing his character. All in all this was my stand out movie of the year, which isn’t saying a lot because the only other movie I saw on the big screen was Dune.

Fan service, yes. But fun glorious fan service that made me happier than I had any reason to expect.

I know many will speculate on this being a kind of ending for the Sony / MCU partnership, (one more appearance not withstanding), but I see this as a pause. Basically positioning the character such that either studio could do anything at all. Nothing conclusive happens.

Those who know my feelings on this issue will know I believe the relationship between the studios will continue indefinitely because neither side can afford it not to. If anything, this movie will only cement that relationship. It is an unprecedented collaboration that nobody could ever have predicted around the time Sony’s Spider franchise plans were being paper launched. The inevitable success and appreciation that this movie will receive will only motivate the two sides to work closer.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-20-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Incredible Member

So Doctor Strange's spell made everyone who Peter Parker is but not about Spider-Man but does Strange still remember Ned's ability to use the sling ring? Also, when Strange was discussing the memory spell with Wong, Strange implied he remembered an event while Wong did not.

Also, Wong is now the Sorcerer Supreme because Strange blipped. That could be an "out" for Agatha's line in "Wandavision" that Wanda was more powerful than the Sorcerer Supreme (though I doubt it).
    Last edited by raidensix; 12-20-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Mighty Member

Awesome movie. Can't believe they actually killed off an Aunt May.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Awesome movie. Can't believe they actually killed off an Aunt May.
    Adaptations have more balls than the source material

I'm really glad the didn't try and touch on Peter Parker's parents from the ASM movies. That was a huge deal in those movies, and their worst misstep, and there is just no good way to redeem it. Smart. If even Stan Lee couldn't make the parents work, its best not to try!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.