Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    About the Daredevil cameo. I thought it was just trying way too hard to over play the connection of these characters. I think they should have left daredevil out and just limit things to Spiderman characters only from the sony films. I can imagine a director like James Mangold watching this movie and getting cringe, because he is one those directors who has criticised marvel movies in the past, part of the criticism was that marvel takes trying to connect everything together too far that it can derail many parts of the story and watching this film, I would have to agree with Mangold.

Daredevil's cameo in this film was more of thing Marvel did to get cheers from fans than following up the fact that daredevil is actually meant to be a lawyer, doing lawyer things in a story that has an outcome, but as I said, this movie did not really have any plot in it. So daredevil in the film was pure fan connect connect service.
    I don't get the claim that this movie doesn't have a plot to it. It's a direct follow up to FFH where Peter attempts to recruit Strange to bring back his secret identity but it goes wrong and villains from across the multiverse show up. Yes, it's a celebration of live action Spidey in general but the reason the movie is so good is because all of it contributes to the growth of Tom's character and directly deals with the consequences of the last film and shows him what it means to be Spider-Man

One of the best super hero flicks. Definitely up there with IW and Endgame for me.

I loved the webshooter conversation. Garfield Spidey saving MJ was perfect.

RIP, Aunt May.

Murdock!

Dafoe and Molina were as good as their younger selves.

Post credit scene -- yeah it was basically a trailer for DS2, but I'm fine with that. Elizabeth Olson gets cuter with each new appearance. Must be magic.

Question 1: The mid credit scene with Brock - was that just a small piece of the symbiote? Or did the whole thing stay behind?

Question 2: in the dimensional rifts that Strange was working on, I saw the outline/whatever of Rhino. Who saw any others? the scene was too busy for me to identify any others.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Incredible Member

Saw the movie last night and I agree with most here that it was a good nostalgic movie. However, it did confirm to me that Holland's Spiderman is the worst of the 3 iterations in terms of plot, acting, villians, and closeness to the source material. Not saying his Spiderman is awful because it is popular with its target audience but I think that his films have gotten less criticism because of the mcu popularity. If I'm honest I prefer Andrew Garfield's series over this version and Tobey's is easily the Spiderman GOAT.

Also did they just remove his Spiderman from the MCU? It seems like he's out of the MCU and is going to be just in his own Spiderman universe with Venom, Morbius, and probably his other gallery of villians. If so, I bet it is a quiet separation done because of Disney and Sony revenue sharing.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-17-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Question 2: in the dimensional rifts that Strange was working on, I saw the outline/whatever of Rhino. Who saw any others? the scene was too busy for me to identify any others.
    Kraven appeared to be there as well. Its hard to really see, of course, but next to Rhino there was a guy with a spear and giant head - maybe a head-dress?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Kraven appeared to be there as well. Its hard to really see, of course, but next to Rhino there was a guy with a spear and giant head - maybe a head-dress?
    Good catch. I knew something was there but the scene changed too quickly for me to tell what

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Saw the movie last night and I agree with most here that it was a good nostalgic movie. However, it did confirm to me that Holland's Spiderman is the worst of the 3 iterations in terms of plot, acting, villians, and closeness to the source material. Not saying his Spiderman is awful because it is popular with its target audience but I think that his films have gotten less criticism because of the mcu popularity. If I'm honest I prefer Andrew Garfield's series over this version and Tobey's is easily the Spiderman GOAT.

Also did they just remove his Spiderman from the MCU? It seems like he's out of the MCU and is going to be just in his own Spiderman universe with Venom, Morbius, and probably his other gallery of villians. If so, I bet it is a quiet separation done because of Disney and Sony revenue sharing.
    The post-credit schemes would suggest that Venom is going to stay in his own universe.

There's going to be a new Venom in the MCU universe where Holland's Spiderman is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid;5856446[B
    ]I don't get the claim that this movie doesn't have a plot to it. It's a direct follow up to FFH where Peter attempts to recruit Strange to bring back his secret identity but it goes wrong and villains from across the multiverse show up. Yes, it's a celebration of live action Spidey in general but the reason the movie is so good[/B] is because all of it contributes to the growth of Tom's character and directly deals with the consequences of the last film and shows him what it means to be Spider-Man
    The part I highlighted tends to be more of a weakness of these movies though. you can find it in other films like civil war, black panther and the iron man sequels. usually the or a story starts as something of a deep plot then it just gets pushed away for the more stranded MCU tropes and this movie actually so far did it in intergalactic proportions, you know Spiderman could have dealt with the fall out of FFH without bringing in Tobey and Andrew Spiderman and their villains, but they happened and that is what has become the defining point of the film.

In the coming months, there is a high chance little will remember the plot of the film as a tom holland spiderman film. However they will remember mostly it been the movie that brought in all the spidermans. As we said, it been a celebration of live action spidey, however that is not enough to define a good movie, I think this is why Grace Randolph said it was not a good movie and all the reviews have called it big nostalgia fun, with little artistic real praise, so far this is what is separating the film from Into Spiderverse or Spiderman 2. No Way Home is a big remix of the MCU formula via connecting eras of Sam Rami and Mark Webb films.

I get the Nostalgia and I will admit to some extent I got emotional seeing Tobey Maguire again, but the thing is, I will still remember what made Tobey a great Spiderman and peter parker when he was in the role, Tom Holland's Spiderman has never gotten that. He has never been given a chance to have what Maguire had. Holland was introduced in civil war, kind of been blackmailed by tony stark , then in the first 2 spiderman movies, he was a little iron man , usually just in his own films dealing with some tony stark issues.

Now in his supposedly final film he is sunked and sucked in by other past Spidermans, to the extent he does not even get his own villian in his own movie and the other Spiderman (Tobey and Andrew) steal the show from him with about 2-3 villian each to deal with in a Holland Movie. Yeah, I do think in the coming future some of the issues from Homecoming and No Way Home is going to be brought up again with No Way Home because this movie still had the same problems as the past Holland Spiderman films, but for now, Nostalgia seems to be clouding judgments and thoughts, let the cloud clear a while.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post

I find it hard to call him the worst as I don't blame Holland. I rather say the least favourite compared to the source material but this is because Holland so far has never gotten a chance to shine as Spiderman on its own terms and No Way Home is the least he has gotten so far to do that.

Yeah, it also confirms Tobey is the GOAT, Just the share supremacy of Tobey and his villains in the film to what Holland and Garfield got in the own films is even blowing me away more than I knew. I always knew the Raimi movies were the best but now we can actually match them up side by side in an official film, Raimi movies were comic masterpieces.

We need to start a twitter harsh tag of calling Tobey Maguire. Old Man Peter. He has been just so wonderful in the Spiderman role, I think I may even rank him higher than Hugh Jackman as Logan but then again I as a comic fan like Spiderman as a character more than Wolverine and Tobey just embodied why I loved Spiderman so much growing up.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    One of the best super hero flicks. Definitely up there with IW and Endgame for me.

I loved the webshooter conversation. Garfield Spidey saving MJ was perfect.

RIP, Aunt May.

Murdock!

Dafoe and Molina were as good as their younger selves.

Post credit scene -- yeah it was basically a trailer for DS2, but I'm fine with that. Elizabeth Olson gets cuter with each new appearance. Must be magic.

Question 1: The mid credit scene with Brock - was that just a small piece of the symbiote? Or did the whole thing stay behind?

Seeing Murdock put a smile on my face.

Charlie Cox was too good in that role to just waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    The part I highlighted tends to be more of a weakness of these movies though. you can find it in other films like civil war, black panther and the iron man sequels. usually the or a story starts as something of a deep plot then it just gets pushed away for the more stranded MCU tropes and this movie actually so far did it in intergalactic proportions, you know Spiderman could have dealt with the fall out of FFH without bringing in Tobey and Andrew Spiderman and their villains, but they happened and that is what has become the defining point of the film.

In the coming months, there is a high chance little will remember the plot of the film as a tom holland spiderman film. However they will remember mostly it been the movie that brought in all the spidermans. As we said, it been a celebration of live action spidey, however that is not enough to define a good movie, I think this is why Grace Randolph said it was not a good movie and all the reviews have called it big nostalgia fun, with little artistic real praise, so far this is what is separating the film from Into Spiderverse or Spiderman 2. No Way Home is a big remix of the MCU formula via connecting eras of Sam Rami and Mark Webb films.

I get the Nostalgia and I will admit to some extent I got emotional seeing Tobey Maguire again, but the thing is, I will still remember what made Tobey a great Spiderman and peter parker when he was in the role, Tom Holland's Spiderman has never gotten that. He has never been given a chance to have what Maguire had. Holland was introduced in civil war, kind of been blackmailed by tony stark , then in the first 2 spiderman movies, he was a little iron man , usually just in his own films dealing with some tony stark issues.

Now in his supposedly final film he is sunked and sucked in by other past Spidermans, to the extent he does not even get his own villian in his own movie and the other Spiderman (Tobey and Andrew) steal the show from him with about 2-3 villian each to deal with in a Holland Movie. Yeah, I do think in the coming future some of the issues from Homecoming and No Way Home is going to be brought up again with No Way Home because this movie still had the same problems as the past Holland Spiderman films, but for now, Nostalgia seems to be clouding judgments and thoughts, let the cloud clear a while.
    IMO Tom's best moments in this movie were as good as any Spider-Man actor. His performance was second only to Defoe in this film. Critics are also praising Holland a ton too so I'm not sure why you're inserting your own opinion like it's a consensus. The best moments of the film were his reaction to May, scenes with Goblin, and of course the last section after everyone else has already left. Besides, Tobey was in the best movies but personality wise, he was outshined by both Tom and Garfield in this movie. The latter needed better movies because his short appearance showed he would have been the perfect Peter Parker.

Just to be clear: the film you always bring up, Logan, has a metacritic of 77. It was a great movie but you talk about it like it was a critical masterpiece up there with Citizen Kane and Vertigo. Ultimately, it was also a superhero movie (altho a rated R one) that only ranked about 6 points higher on metacritic than No Way Home.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    Would like to hear how you guys feel about the flashpoint nod in the film and how did you take it?
    I missed the flashpoint nod, likely because it did not stick out as much as the black Spidemerman nod. The black Spiderman nod was a better scene than Endgame's all female assemble scene when it comes to giving a shout out to more diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Seeing Murdock put a smile on my face.

Charlie Cox was too good in that role to just waste.
    It was nice to see his reflexes are still sharp, too

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I'll do a more well thought out post later but here's my immediate reactions:

- MCU Peter starting from scratch (quite literally) was definitely a shocker
    - Given where Peter was left at, I'm interested in seeing the how it plays into the Black Suit
    - Seeing all 3 Spider-men interact was amazing and far better than anything I ever expected
    - This is my new favorite Spider-man movie OAT
    - I cried like 3 times during this stupid thing and I never cry in movies
    - Instead of the Buggle, I hope Pete works at Feast instead as a way to honor May.
    - What if MCU Venom ends up being Flash or Gargan instead of Eddie?
    - I'm satisfied with the portrayals of all 5 villains. To me, those are the MCU versions of those characters and I'm content with this being their only appearance.
    - Peter smacking the **** of Gobby at the end was soooo satisfying
    - Dafoe's Goblin is the best Joker and nobody will convince me otherwise
    - If they turn Ned into Hobgobby (and I kinda feel like that was set up here on the low), going the ultimate gobby route might be better than the conventual one. Would help him be more distinct than all the rest of them

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    IMO Tom's best moments in this movie were as good as any Spider-Man actor. His performance was second only to Defoe in this film. Critics are also praising Holland a ton too so I'm not sure why you're inserting your own opinion like it's a consensus. The best moments of the film were his reaction to May, scenes with Goblin, and of course the last section after everyone else has already left. Besides, Tobey was in the best movies but personality wise, he was outshined by both Tom and Garfield in this movie. The latter needed better movies because his short appearance showed he would have been the perfect Peter Parker.
    I feel Maguire still comes out on top from spiderman fan reactions. He always will because he got the best Spiderman stories. the best way to even see this clearer is how his own villains can still come off as effective in any universe. Holland technically got the weakest spiderman story in any comic spidey film. and this movie keeps that Trend.We realise now that Holland has had 3 ''personal'' Spiderman films and not one villains is of his own primarily. it weakens Holland's Spiderman as Spiderman, unless we want to call JJ Jamerson a villain in No Way Home but remember, even this JJ Jamerson first came from the Raimi Spiderman films that are just so GOAT.

Just to be clear: the film you always bring up, Logan, has a metacritic of 77. It was a great movie but you talk about it like it was a critical masterpiece up there with Citizen Kane and Vertigo. Ultimately, it was also a superhero movie (altho a rated R one) that only ranked about 6 points higher on metacritic than No Way Home.
    I dont look at metacritic even for games or music.lol. while I am trying to be more analytical by bringing up actual premise of movies. also i did not mention logan at least not directly since i think mangold was just like any other director talking about comic books movies regardless of the fact that he made a marvel film but Logan at least did something new with cinemathogprhay in the genre, which should have been a bigger and very uniquely important part of no way home because of the multiverse concept. A lot of directors than have done films like that have played around with a lot of film making technical aspects that suits multiverses stories.

I think No Way Home would have benefited from a similar style like Steven Spielberg's minority report than even nolan's inception that I first thought off, because you would have had emotional depth with technical film depth like Spielberg can do in his films, instead you had reviews like IGN calling No Way Home a Saturday morning cartoon in appearance by the way IGN gave the film an 8/10 because it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    First of all, Foxx was a great Electro. .
    Urrh after this film, my take on Foxx is to be just move away from big hollywood blockbusters. I have noticed as just a random serious film folk that Foxx has no screen presence. This was part of the issue of Amazing Spiderman 2 and also in Django Unchained, he was outshined by Sam L Jackson and Leo Di Capriro , who were in supporting roles. Foxx was lead.

Foxx was a weak point in this film or maybe Dr Orc and Norman were just too good. what they could have done was bring in the Young Green Goblin from Amazing Spiderman 2 played by Dane DeHaan. So Norman maybe can have a connection to his son from an alternate reality and that also would have given the movie more substantial plot because we would be able to say one of the visiting characters from the multiverse still had some kind of personal stake.

Anyone else hoping that there will be some version of Gwen Stacy in the next Spidey film?