Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How does New York in Spider-Man media compare to the real life city?

For a random example, I think the New York featured in the Amazing Spider-Man 2012 game is probably quite a bit more barren in comparison to the real thing.

How close to real life is the city in the comics are? I believe many of the Marvel writers live in NYC, so that probably gives it a bit more authenticity than otherwise, not sure about the artists.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 10-31-2023 at 01:52 AM.

Astonishing Member

I’m a New Yorker. Aside from the obvious additions like the Baxter building or Kingpin’s tower it’s roughly NYC at least in spirit if not exact identical layout. What I mean is not every street block Spidey swings through will look exactly like the real New York. It’s not Google Earth. But if he’s going through SoHo or Midtown or Hell’s Kitchen it has a similar vibe and maybe even a couple real life landmarks peppered throughout like the Empire State Building or even newer structures like the Vessel in Hudson Yards. Other areas like Times Square may be even closer to the real thing since their layout is so iconic.

As for the cultural vibe, the people, the food, the attitude, etc, used to be very authentic in comics from the 60s to the 90s. I feel like it’s more generic in recent years but maybe that’s because New York is more gentrified and Spidey’s writers and artists are more diverse (they were almost all New Yorkers in the 60s, 70s, and 80s).

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Also 616 Manhattan is like quadruple the size, in the comics it feels like it goes on forever but in reality not so much

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Also 616 Manhattan is like quadruple the size, in the comics it feels like it goes on forever but in reality not so much
    In the Spider-Verse movies, its size was also exaggerated IIRC.

I am not a New Yorker, but I gather that the biggest difference is that there is no way Peter as depicted could afford an apartment in Manhattan at the moment.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I am not a New Yorker, but I gather that the biggest difference is that there is no way Peter as depicted could afford an apartment in Manhattan at the moment.
    Rent in 616 New York is probably lower due to all the supervillain attacks.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    Rent in 616 New York is probably lower due to all the supervillain attacks.
    Wasn't that how Nelson and Murdock got started in the Netflix Daredevil series? They were able to get the property cheap due to the Chitauri attack that introduced the Avengers to the world seriously dropping property values in Hell's Kitchen.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Very true. He could probably afford it from the 60s to the 80s, but those days are long gone.

BANNED

I've never lived in New York, but I will say that the first time I ever visited, it felt exactly how Spider-Man comics and movies led me to expect. It's funny. I was staying in Brooklyn and I remember reading Miles Morales' first appearance in my hotel room, since it had just come out. It was kind of cool to be sitting in Brooklyn reading the debut of the Brooklyn Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I've never lived in New York, but I will say that the first time I ever visited, it felt exactly how Spider-Man comics and movies led me to expect. It's funny. I was staying in Brooklyn and I remember reading Miles Morales' first appearance in my hotel room, since it had just come out. It was kind of cool to be sitting in Brooklyn reading the debut of the Brooklyn Spider-Man.
    That type of thing happened to me once as well. I’m originally from NY and lived there during the 1980s In HS math family went on vacation to San Francisco and we stopped at a comic shop. I picked up my usual slate for the week and one of them (can’t remember which) took place in SF when that wasn’t normally the case. It was either WCA, IM, or Solo Avengers. Good times.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    That type of thing happened to me once as well. I’m originally from NY and lived there during the 1980s In HS math family went on vacation to San Francisco and we stopped at a comic shop. I picked up my usual slate for the week and one of them (can’t remember which) took place in SF when that wasn’t normally the case. It was either WCA, IM, or Solo Avengers. Good times.
    I remember being there the first time and passing by Forest Hills and being so jazzed because it's where Peter Parker and the Ramones come from. That's probably the most excited anybody ever was to be in Queens.

There's a picture of me somewhere talking to a Times Square Spider-Man, too. I love New York.

And that's awesome! San Francisco has some really amazing spots.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I remember being there the first time and passing by Forest Hills and being so jazzed because it's where Peter Parker and the Ramones come from. That's probably the most excited anybody ever was to be in Queens.
    Correction: SECOND most excited person ever to be in Queens.

https://youtu.be/mWQH4hUJXzA?si=Kupwkt5SYKJFCufs

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Correction: SECOND most excited person ever to be in Queens.

https://youtu.be/mWQH4hUJXzA?si=Kupwkt5SYKJFCufs
    Ha! Point taken.

Astonishing Member

I stayed in Queens for awhile and visited Peter Parkers house. Its really there at the Ingram Street. I don't know which number anymore.

What I found very funny is that Kingpin and Daredevil fought over Hells Kitchen in the Netflix series....because Hells Kitchen is sooooo big, lol. They made it seem like Hells Kitchen is New York.

https://13thdimension.com/13-real-li...to-spider-man/

This is an interesting article I found on the Spider-Man artist Ross Andru's drawings compared to the real life NY locations he was inspired by.