Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 137
  1. #16
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    710

    Default

    I'd appreciate some acknowledgement that Uncle Ben played a role in Peter's life. His presence has been conspicuously absent ever since Spider-Man joined the MCU.

  2. #17
    Wayward Member GSman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Within
    Posts
    1,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    I'd appreciate some acknowledgement that Uncle Ben played a role in Peter's life. His presence has been conspicuously absent ever since Spider-Man joined the MCU.
    Thinking on May's role in NWH, I think the lack of mention of Uncle Ben was intentional. They're clearly leaning more on her being the one who influenced Peter's moral compass the most, it's even brought up in the film by Goblin. It's further driven home by...
    spoilers:
    The Great Power and responsibility speech she gives Peter before dying, which means MCU Ben never did that in this version
    end of spoilers

  3. #18
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Mothcave
    Posts
    3,886

    Default

    I think the set-up at the end of No Way Home has legs and I'd be interested to see that continue. spoilers:
    Honestly, I'm cool if they had him reconnect with the existing supporting cast or created an entirely new one. If it's the end of MJ and Ned, it was a good send off. If not, I'd be happy to see them again.
    end of spoilers

    I'd be happy to see Smythe and the Spider-Slayers, Scorpion or Chameleon get shots at headlining a movie.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

    "I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

    "*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

    Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,288

    Default

    Now that the status quo with Ned has changed at the end of the film, what are the odds he becomes Hobgoblin? I still think it's a stretch and people wouldn't take it seriously based on him having been comic relief for three films but if executed well, it would be really emotional

  5. #20
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    114,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    • Watts will be busy with F4. So, who could direct? Would love it if they got Raimi back. Guy is already working for Marvel. I want to see him do a Spidey film where Feige can keep Arad's influence at bay.
    I've been wondering about this if they'll be a clean break between the "high school" and "college era" in terms of directors too.
    Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Thinking on May's role in NWH, I think the lack of mention of Uncle Ben was intentional. They're clearly leaning more on her being the one who influenced Peter's moral compass the most, it's even brought up in the film by Goblin. It's further driven home by...
    spoilers:
    The Great Power and responsibility speech she gives Peter before dying, which means MCU Ben never did that in this version
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I've seen people suggest that May was just reiterating to Peter what Ben always used to say, which is why the line came up.
    end of spoilers

  6. #21
    Wayward Member GSman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Within
    Posts
    1,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

    spoilers:
    I've seen people suggest that May was just reiterating to Peter what Ben always used to say, which is why the line came up.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    That could be an answer, but also as Peter was telling the other Peters the mantra, it really does seem like it's the first time he's heard it in universe, not even a slight mention of his uncle in anything. Kind of basing this on his very first appearance in Civil War, when he's explaining to Tony why he does what he does, he says everything you'd expect him to say but not the classic line, and I always wondered why. If he'd never actually heard it before, that could definitely be the explanation for why the words seem so profound to him now. It would also be weird to think he's been Spider-Man for like 2+ years but not influenced by those words, which I guess would reinforce the thought process of him finally becoming the Spider-Man he's meant to be at the end of the film, complete with his own home made suit to further illustrate that transition, maybe that sense of responsibility was already there courtesy of his upbringing, but the code he just got now, wouldn't be the first time the MCU took liberties. Then again, it's all just a theory, it could very also still be Uncle Ben's thing in universe like you said. Maybe the the cartoon will give us more context.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by GSman; 12-17-2021 at 09:43 AM.

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,347

    Default

    I think NWH does open the doors to exploring eras of Spider-Man's life that previous films and adaptations in general have neglected. In a way, we do seem to be where the Raimi films would have gone barring a reboot.

    Here are a few ideas I have in mind:

    spoilers:
    I think we definitely are getting the Alien Costume Saga, based on that stinger. I hope we actually get to spend time on it this time round. Maybe have the suit stick around for more than one film (or one Spidey film and then an MCU appearance or two). Whether it eventually leads to an MCU Eddie Brock becoming Venom or someone else (Flash Thompson?) remains to be seen. I think the skies the limit, really.

    It might be interesting to see Peter and MJ's relationship play out again at some point, though I do feel it would cheapen the ending of NWH if we don't go at least one film with them separated. Which opens the doors to new love interests. Gwen is a possibility of course (maybe MCU Peter, realizing that Webb-verse Peter's love was his Gwen, feels that this Gwen may well be the love of his life?). The problem with Gwen is, where do you go with her when ''The Night Gwen Stacy Died'' has already gotten a big-screen adaptation? Could the MCU Gwen become Spider-Woman? Now that would be interesting! Another option in the romance department is Felicia Hardy AKA Black Cat. Or maybe someone like Carlie Cooper? Or Jean DeWolf? I think it would be great to explore love interests (and characters in general) who aren't tied to the Lee-Dikto and Romita eras that are usually the source material for adaptations.

    I think an MCU Green Goblin would serve no purpose at this point, but an MCU Hobgoblin would. Maybe the Hobgoblin is inspired by media reports of the Green Goblin? The idea of Ned becoming Hobgoblin is a bit out of left field but who knows? Anyway, we have other potential Hobgoblins, like Roderick Kingsley or Jason Macendale...

    In general, Spider-Man as more of a loner and solo superhero who very reluctantly teams up with the Avengers and other heroes would be interesting. I'd love to see him work more with the FF though, and since Jon Watts is handling that reboot, the synergy could be perfect there.
    end of spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    spoilers:
    That could be an answer, but also as Peter was telling the other Peters the mantra, it really does seem like it's the first time he's heard it in universe, not even a slight mention of his uncle in anything. Kind of basing this on his very first appearance in Civil War, when he's explaining to Tony why he does what he does, he says everything you'd expect him to say but not the classic line, and I always wondered why. If he'd never actually heard it before, that could definitely be the explanation for why the words seem so profound to him now. It would also be weird to think he's been Spider-Man for like 2+ years but not influenced by those words, which I guess would reinforce the thought process of him finally becoming the Spider-Man he's meant to be at the end of the film, complete with his own home made suit to further illustrate that transition, maybe that sense of responsibility was already there courtesy of his upbringing, but the code he just got now, wouldn't be the first time the MCU took liberties. Then again, it's all just a theory, it could very also still be Uncle Ben's thing in universe like you said. Maybe the the cartoon will give us more context.
    end of spoilers
    I broadly agree with you.

    spoilers:
    The impression I seemed to get as well is that we're firmly in ''alternate continuity'' territory with the MCU Spider-Man and Aunt May saying that line before her death was this Peter's moment of learning the lesson which he traditionally learns from Uncle Ben before the latter's death. Which also means that, in a way, this film marks the true end of the ''origin story'' for this iteration of the character.

    I do believe that MCU Peter had an Uncle Ben too, who died at some point before Homecoming (which explains the recent tragedy May faced that Peter very vaguely alludes to in that film). But it's possible that he died in some other way completely different from what we're used to, and that Peter initially became Spider-Man simply because he wanted to help people. It's a radically different take on the origin, but I've kinda accepted the MCU Spider-Man now as being it's own thing and I'm okay with that.
    end of spoilers

  8. #23
    Extraordinary Member Jman27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Now that the status quo with Ned has changed at the end of the film, what are the odds he becomes Hobgoblin? I still think it's a stretch and people wouldn't take it seriously based on him having been comic relief for three films but if executed well, it would be really emotional
    spoilers:
    well they did that joke with Ned saying he wont be a villain so he wont die. So I guessing no evil ned anytime soon
    end of spoilers
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

    "I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

    "My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

  9. #24
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    664

    Default

    I just want Amazing Spider-Man 3 and more movies with Andrew.

    Since day one, Tom’s Spidy has been a hit or miss for me. Mostly miss because I consider him Iron MSN Junior in the movies.

  10. #25
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Swingin' Above Ya
    Posts
    11,895

    Default

    Hopefully Johnny Storm and the rest of the F4 are the only other Marvel superheroes who turn up in the solo Spider-Man films for some time. I wonder if that's the plan anyway with Jon Watts also directing Fantastic Four?

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member Vortex85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I just want Amazing Spider-Man 3 and more movies with Andrew.

    Since day one, Tom’s Spidy has been a hit or miss for me. Mostly miss because I consider him Iron MSN Junior in the movies.
    I'd love a whole new trilogy with Andrew's Spider-Man to run parallel with MCU Spider-Man to

    1) wrap up the parent's plotline
    2) meet and fall in love with Mary Jane which helps to redeem him
    3) finish the story with his Harry Osborn

  12. #27

    Default

    Ned becomes a reporter for the Daily Bugle. He also gets accused of being a supervillian and the Hobgoblin is optional.

    Spidey as a mentor to Miles.

    The Chameleon killed Peter's parents while they were SHIELD agents/researchers.

  13. #28
    Extraordinary Member Jman27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I just want Amazing Spider-Man 3 and more movies with Andrew.

    Since day one, Tom’s Spidy has been a hit or miss for me. Mostly miss because I consider him Iron MSN Junior in the movies.
    yeah movie made the iron man jr joke
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

    "I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

    "My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

  14. #29
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I'd love a whole new trilogy with Andrew's Spider-Man to run parallel with MCU Spider-Man to

    1) wrap up the parent's plotline
    2) meet and fall in love with Mary Jane which helps to redeem him
    3) finish the story with his Harry Osborn
    All of this!

  15. #30

    Default

    I can't imagine a future MCU-Spidey film where Zendaya isn't around. (Though I suppose the real-life Tom Holland-Zendaya relationship, and where it goes, might end up factoring into that...)
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •