Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Did anyone mention Chase yet? That was a fantastic series.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Both were still “Events” in all the stereotypical ways…. But both were managed by great editorial teams and strong stables of writers, which was something that Marvel and Image lacked and part of the reason why people remember their failures much more.
    To be fair to Marvel-a change of ownership derailed some stuff along with the butchering of Ultraverse.

Image was more here is a name and lets toss whatever out there for folks to eat. There is a reason Spawn and Savage Dragon are the only ones still standing (while Witchblade takes a long break). And Image books are still packing bins.

90s gave us the fantastic Louise Simonson / Christopher Priest Steel series so for that alone I gotta love it.
    Green Lantern Mosaic and Black Lightning would have lasted longer if editors left their agendas at the door.

For the anti-diversity crew who screams POC & LGBTQA did nothing in comics.

Priest did 11 different books in the 90s for DC. Steel was the only black lead one.
    Robert L. Washington III
    Ivan Velez Jr. did a lot books for DC (mainly the kids line).
    Jamal Igle's first DC work.
    Daryl Banks.
    Humberto Ramos first work.
    Maddie Blaustein-DC's first transgender writer (Static & Deathwish)

To name a few. And nobody threw fits like they do now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Yes. Got her first appearance and issue number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    To be fair to Marvel-a change of ownership derailed some stuff along with the butchering of Ultraverse.

Image was more here is a name and lets toss whatever out there for folks to eat. There is a reason Spawn and Savage Dragon are the only ones still standing (while Witchblade takes a long break). And Image books are still packing bins.

Green Lantern Mosaic and Black Lightning would have lasted longer if editors left their agendas at the door.

For the anti-diversity crew who screams POC & LGBTQA did nothing in comics.

Priest did 11 different books in the 90s for DC. Steel was the only black lead one.
    Robert L. Washington III
    Ivan Velez Jr. did a lot books for DC (mainly the kids line).
    Jamal Igle's first DC work.
    Daryl Banks.
    Humberto Ramos first work.
    Maddie Blaustein-DC's first transgender writer (Static & Deathwish)

To name a few. And nobody threw fits like they do now.
    I thought Rachel Pollack was DC’s first transgender writer with Doom Patrol.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    1993 was a pretty **** year for DC's main titles

Knightfall
    Bloodlines
    Death of Superman
    Judgement Day
    Emerald Twilight

But nevertheless it was a fantastic decade for the company, and DC hasn't been as consistently as good as it had been since the end of the 90s.
    Have nothing but love for the events above...

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    For me, also, the Team Titans were a lost oportunity:

Attachment 116366
    Not my favorite Titans era. Really, by then, you could feel the book coming down fron the Titans Hunt high (which, IMHO, went on far too long), and hitting rock bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I never tried this series.
    I remember I was reading the Titans book at the time and both Terra and Mirage were a part of Arsenal's team.
    I didn't take to either of them, but then Marv wasn't really doing his best work by then either.
    Minion (ugh), Deathwing (ugh squared), Evil Changeling, Evil Raven - not great.

The roster had promise though!
    Arsenal
    Donna Troy (Darkstar)
    GL (Kyle)
    Impulse
    Damage
    Terra
    Mirage

It just never hit the heights it could have.
    I liked that team, it was a last effort by Marv to recapture lightning in a bottle, but you could feel his heart really wasn't in it. I also think that, since Grumett left, the Titans really lacked a top notch artist. The bar was set pretty high, I'll admit, after Perez, Garcia-Lopez, Barreto and Grumett himself.

Peace

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Yes it was!!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I'm going back to reading 90s DC, and there are a lot of forgotten gems. Steel was damn near perfect as a book, but I also love Eric Luke's run(s) on Wonder Woman. He took a lot of the feminist introspection he perfected on Ghost at Dark Horse and brought it over to Diana and it stands as one of my top 10 comic runs of all time.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Hopefully this counts, but another '90s favorite would be...

Roxy Rocket

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-23-2021 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

DC and Marvel's rush to copyright as many character names as possible in their 1993 Annuals was one of the biggest boosts.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

90s DC will always be the best for me. Triangle era Superman. PAD Supergirl. Dixon Robin. Morrison JLA. Even the 'bad' events were much better reads than most of the 2000s and 2010 events. I'd much rather read Final Night or Zero Hour again than so much of the crap we've seen this century.

One thing about that era, many of the new characters were created organically from the story rather than just because a writer or editor wanted to make a new pet. That's a big part of how the cast of the Superman books could get so wide, why Steel and Superboy sprang from the Death/Return of Superman storyline, and why Stephanie Brown was created - she was created because Dixon had a story where Cluemaster was cured of his obsession with leaving clues and giving him a daughter was how Batman and Robin could solve the crime without Cluemaster leaving clues. Nowadays it's like everyone wants to make a character who's the next big thing, only for that character to be forgotten the moment the a new writer comes in with their own brand new creation.