Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Are they still making Legends material?

I had read on the Wookiepedia page that they are still releasing some Legends material. Is this new material or is it just reprinting the old material?
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That's the banner they use for releases of old material.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Apart from that The Old Republic MMO still ocassionally has new content and Marvel did make a special 108th issue of their original Marvel Star Wars two years ago. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_(1977)_108
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I had read on the Wookiepedia page that they are still releasing some Legends material. Is this new material or is it just reprinting the old material?
    I do not believe so, and I still contend Disney was stupid for offing it. They should have finished it with a 3 book series at least.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member

There’s also some ambiguous stuff for tabletop games, where they incorporate a few elements of Legends and Disney canon and seem to either maybe or maybe not be canon.

For instance, Kylo Katarn is ambiguously canon thanks to one for those card games, albeit only in a vague, unclear way.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I do not believe so, and I still contend Disney was stupid for offing it. They should have finished it with a 3 book series at least.
    How do you finish something that was just a nebulous collection of comics, books and video games?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

The Star Trek EU did something kind of similar recently; the CODA books. They sort of had this whole bunch of books featuring the continuing adventures of Picard and the Enterprise-E, the DS9 crew, Voyager etc but despite not being canon, it got kind of hard to reconcile when Picard came out, and might've caused some confusion too.

They 'sort of' closed out the post-ROTJ EU with the Crucible novel, I think, as well as wrapping up the Legacy and KOTOR comic storylines. A lot of the last Legends EU, weirdly enough, is mainly stuff that Marvel/Del Rey/Disney+ is doing anyway; adventures set during the OT gaps, Clone Wars/Early empire, Darth Vader focused comics, Aphra is in a few ways similar to Agent of The Empire (Although more Indiana Jones than Bond), focusing on pre-film Republic, inter-trilogy Kenobi and Fett stuff....

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I've read that the Visions anime shorts are sort of stand alone stories that aren't really canon.
    Assassinate Putin!

Yeah, ditto with the Lego stuff. However Legends I think is mainly intended to reference the pre-2014 EU continuity, not necessarily new non-canon stuff going forward unless it's really tied to the old stuff, like that Marvel issue.

They still ocassionally merchandise the stuff. A lot of the Legends novels were reprinted with brand new cover art. Marvel still often reprints the old Dark Horse stuff as well as their own stuff from the 80s, and Hasbro-based on Fan feedback-made figures based on Darth Revan and Jaina Solo fairly recently. Although at least Revan can be re-worked into canon fairly easily; Jaina, far from it....(Especially because of Rey).