Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AMAZING #81 Review and Spoilers

ONCE AGAIN: IT'S TIME FOR BEN!

Join me, please, as I embark upon my second read-through of the issue!

1) My initial thought about Rhizome: "Oh, cool -- another new villain for Ben's rogues gallery!"

2) Did everybody else see that Beyond health shake and automatically wonder if it's hurting him somehow?

3) The conversations between Marcus and Ben are routinely strong parts of this storyline. Seeing where their relationship ends up will hopefully prove interesting. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing what Marcus is like without the confines of Beyond.

4) "I have my ways." -- what is that supposed to mean? I can't help but wonder whether Marcus is more sympathetic to Janine's plight than we might think. Regardless, her comment that things "have to be okay" is somewhat ominous. Is she feeling forced into a corner? Janine is a runner.

5) On the one hand, Spider-Man doesn't need to fly. On the other hand, I DID appreciate the armpit webs being featured so prominently while in flight. I like seeing those every once in a while.

6) But then -- how is it that Rhizome was already gone if Ben used that jetpack thing to get there faster than usual?!

7) I know some people took issue with the scene of Ben talking to the people searching through the rubble, due to the implication that Miles is the legitimate Spider-Man because he's for the common person on the street. However, I think it merely serves as a reminder for Ben that, to be a hero, he needs the autonomy to make decisions at a moment's notice; this should cause further questioning of his relationship with Beyond, because even if Ben believes them to be benevolent, he might still decide to sever ties and be unaccountable to nobody but his ideas of power and responsibility rather than what the "assignment" is.

8) Also, it IS a fun segue of the people questioning Ben to the introduction of Miles into the issue. I LOVED Ben's angry reply to Miles' accusation that Ben is an imposter. But I also loved that their fight was brief. If the obligatory fight scene before the team-up is necessary, at least make it short and sweet, y'know? I'm pretty indifferent towards Miles, but I wouldn't mind seeing more between him and Ben. I think future conversations between them could prove really fun -- all we got here was, "We both like Peter? Fun! Oh, but we disagree on Beyond! Remember Spiderverse? lolz"

9) The fight against Rhizome was fun. I like the idea that each Spider-Man wanted to impress/show up/show off to the other, and I also liked that it was Ben who suggested the team-up. Very mature of him

10) It's just some dude?! Between Rhizome and Obsidian Star, I feel like the potential of the new villains has been undermined. I hope I'm proven wrong about this -- maybe this Rhizome dude ends up being cool anyway? -- but so far, I've been kind of let down each time.

11) Ben makes the right decision regarding the trademark ridiculousness. I like the irony that Maxine questions Ben's ability to do what's necessary to be a hero, when in fact he has done that very thing by not kowtowing to her.

12) Random Employee #532 lets Maxine Danger know that Doc Ock is looking into their Beyond business. I really can't wait to see Ock in action against Beyond! I'm obviously rooting for Ben, but White Suit Almost Good If You Squint Otto is really fun to read about as well.

13) Apparently the solution to the octopus problem is some squiggly-looking thing in a cannister. Have we seen this before? Was there a scene earlier with Beyond collecting, like, an alien tentacle or something? Am I just mis-remembering the thing with Morbius' arm? Somebody help me out here!

Overall, a quick read but a fun issue. Solid art and writing, but maybe a tad less than sensational. I'm docking points because a) Ben didn't comment on Miles' costume looking like Kaine's, and b) Ben didn't comment on being the originator of Spidey costumes involving leisurewear. But at least it felt like the story progressed a little bit and will hopefully continue to gather steam. My Spidey-Sense tells me these initial two-part stories were just setting the table, and that the sweet meat of the main course is coming soon.

Until next time, this has BEN

-Pav, who looks forward to hearing what others think about the issue...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Glad to see people enjoying this issue, because when the previews came, the reception was negative, but glad it was a pleasant surprised for most. I enjoyed it, this saga drove me to spend my holiday money tracking down floppies of 90s clone saga. doesnt help that I been on a 90s mood ever snice watching Clerks and Mallrats for the first time

Mighty Member

I thought this was really strong. Good character stuff for Ben.

No, it doesn't really move the Beyond plot forward at all. But I feel like this is the first issue since 76 that really had Ben's voice. And Ahmed writes a pretty strong Miles already, so he was in character as well.

The initial reaction from Miles towards Ben felt really believable. First the imposter stuff that got under Ben's skin and started the obligatory pre-team up scuffle and then the Beyond stuff. But the two worked past it quickly and find a groove working together that felt quite natural and fun. The simple, if contrived slip from Ben about Peter's ID was a great opening to cut through the noise.

I love the fact that Miles can tell Peter and Ben apart from their voices. They shouldn't sound exactly alike despite it being the same underlying voice. Different experiences and attitudes. That was a noce touch on terms of differentiating Ben/Peter from each other, but also underscored the way Miles views Peter. I also really liked Miles' reaction to Peter's condition.

But the highlight of the issue for me was Ben's handling of the trademark issue. He did the right thing and even stood up to Maxine in the face of her corporate worldview. The conflict between how much Beyond can, and seemingly has, helped him be a better Spider-Man and the cost of that which he is slowly realizing is the best part of the setup. Ben trying to square the circle and keep their interests aligned as much as possible is a fun dance to watch. I look forward to Ben's realization that Beyond is a more sinister force and grappling with that.

So far this depiction has been quite strong. Ben isn't a sell out, but he's trying to be optimistic about Beyond in a way we the reader know he's going to regret. There is an understandable hesitation to see the cracks in the facade because of his own needs and psychology.

Next issue, Pete is back. How much damage has Ock fixed, and how much lingers? And what does his near death experience herald for his attitude? I'm rather lookong forward to it, though I hope Ben gets a part as well.

Incredible Member

That container that Maxine was holding looked some what like whatever Rhizome was made of.

Spectacular Member

I'm really getting tired of this storyline already. Nothing relevant is happening. Every issue can be summed as "Ben fights someone, gets kicked in the face but manages to win. Beyond gets angry at Ben because he's kind of a rebel and he seeks comfort in Janine". For real, these issues could be read as self conclusive! People love to hate Spencer's run, but that had me on the edge of my seat (even with all its flaws), this is just so average and bland.

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

Does anyone miss Bendis dialogue pages? Sure, there were a lot of talking heads but I like when characters can have actual conversations.

It would have made the interaction with Ben and Miles much more interesting. "You had a clone thing? What a saga they can be"

Speaking of Bendis and Miles, wasn't one of his last storylines about how Miles was considering not being Spider-Man but his own hero? Whatever became of that?

Also, one of the benefits of having a secret identity means that being sued doesn't mean shit. It's like giving a parking ticket to a car with no license plate. Great. Now what? haha.

I could also use some more internal dialogue from Ben to get some insight into how he's feeling about things. Spoken dialogue can work for some storylines but I would argue that this isn't one of them. I want to hear his doubts and questioning things and his theories about Beyond.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    I'm really getting tired of this storyline already. Nothing relevant is happening. Every issue can be summed as "Ben fights someone, gets kicked in the face but manages to win. Beyond gets angry at Ben because he's kind of a rebel and he seeks comfort in Janine". For real, these issues could be read as self conclusive! People love to hate Spencer's run, but that had me on the edge of my seat (even with all its flaws), this is just so average and bland.
    Pretty much how I’ve been feeling. I love Ben. Huge fan of the character. What happened in Clone Conspiracy and then his Scarlet Spider series was absolutely garbage. But this? This is pathetic. Ben looks like an amateur here. And he’s so F’n gullible. My only hope is that Ben does die at the end of this series so that marvel can’t F*** him up anymore.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    ONCE AGAIN: IT'S TIME FOR BEN!

Join me, please, as I embark upon my second read-through of the issue!

1) My initial thought about Rhizome: "Oh, cool -- another new villain for Ben's rogues gallery!"

2) Did everybody else see that Beyond health shake and automatically wonder if it's hurting him somehow?

3) The conversations between Marcus and Ben are routinely strong parts of this storyline. Seeing where their relationship ends up will hopefully prove interesting. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing what Marcus is like without the confines of Beyond.

4) "I have my ways." -- what is that supposed to mean? I can't help but wonder whether Marcus is more sympathetic to Janine's plight than we might think. Regardless, her comment that things "have to be okay" is somewhat ominous. Is she feeling forced into a corner? Janine is a runner.

5) On the one hand, Spider-Man doesn't need to fly. On the other hand, I DID appreciate the armpit webs being featured so prominently while in flight. I like seeing those every once in a while.

6) But then -- how is it that Rhizome was already gone if Ben used that jetpack thing to get there faster than usual?!

7) I know some people took issue with the scene of Ben talking to the people searching through the rubble, due to the implication that Miles is the legitimate Spider-Man because he's for the common person on the street. However, I think it merely serves as a reminder for Ben that, to be a hero, he needs the autonomy to make decisions at a moment's notice; this should cause further questioning of his relationship with Beyond, because even if Ben believes them to be benevolent, he might still decide to sever ties and be unaccountable to nobody but his ideas of power and responsibility rather than what the "assignment" is.

8) Also, it IS a fun segue of the people questioning Ben to the introduction of Miles into the issue. I LOVED Ben's angry reply to Miles' accusation that Ben is an imposter. But I also loved that their fight was brief. If the obligatory fight scene before the team-up is necessary, at least make it short and sweet, y'know? I'm pretty indifferent towards Miles, but I wouldn't mind seeing more between him and Ben. I think future conversations between them could prove really fun -- all we got here was, "We both like Peter? Fun! Oh, but we disagree on Beyond! Remember Spiderverse? lolz"

9) The fight against Rhizome was fun. I like the idea that each Spider-Man wanted to impress/show up/show off to the other, and I also liked that it was Ben who suggested the team-up. Very mature of him

10) It's just some dude?! Between Rhizome and Obsidian Star, I feel like the potential of the new villains has been undermined. I hope I'm proven wrong about this -- maybe this Rhizome dude ends up being cool anyway? -- but so far, I've been kind of let down each time.

11) Ben makes the right decision regarding the trademark ridiculousness. I like the irony that Maxine questions Ben's ability to do what's necessary to be a hero, when in fact he has done that very thing by not kowtowing to her.

12) Random Employee #532 lets Maxine Danger know that Doc Ock is looking into their Beyond business. I really can't wait to see Ock in action against Beyond! I'm obviously rooting for Ben, but White Suit Almost Good If You Squint Otto is really fun to read about as well.

13) Apparently the solution to the octopus problem is some squiggly-looking thing in a cannister. Have we seen this before? Was there a scene earlier with Beyond collecting, like, an alien tentacle or something? Am I just mis-remembering the thing with Morbius' arm? Somebody help me out here!

Overall, a quick read but a fun issue. Solid art and writing, but maybe a tad less than sensational. I'm docking points because a) Ben didn't comment on Miles' costume looking like Kaine's, and b) Ben didn't comment on being the originator of Spidey costumes involving leisurewear. But at least it felt like the story progressed a little bit and will hopefully continue to gather steam. My Spidey-Sense tells me these initial two-part stories were just setting the table, and that the sweet meat of the main course is coming soon.

Until next time, this has BEN

-Pav, who looks forward to hearing what others think about the issue...
    My favorite part of this issue, other than it subverting the expectations and fears from the cover and preview by having Ben and Miles quickly team up over their mutual respect and affection for Peter despite whatever gripes and qualms they might have had about each other, was Miles or Ben referencing Spider-Geddon as "interdimensional Spider-Wars." A homage to Ben Reilly's first (major) appearance in animation during the finale of the 90s Spider-Man animated series, which was titled "Spider Wars," perhaps, or just a coincidence? Either way, I dug it, as well as that Ben remained a good and heroic character and wasn't going to beat up someone trying to do good for their neighborhood over some corporate B.S.

That said, I'm not sure I want to know what Maxine Danger's idea of "discipline" for Marcus is, given what a coldblooded corporate viper she is, and as for whatever became of Rhizome . . . if she plans to weaponize the biotech that went into him against Doctor Octopus for looking into Beyond's schemes, I can see that ending up very, very badly --- for everyone in New York. Also, Ben and Janine's little heart-to-heart about Ben acknowledging and admitting when he needs help instead of pushing it down and acting like he's ok when he isn't . . . that is very much something I like, too, especially since so many of us have difficulty applying that to our real lives. Hoping nothing irrevocably horrible happens to Janine, but given Ben's history . . . I'm sadly not sure I can count on that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    Exactly.Being bland is arguably worse, specially for a supposed fast paced story

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Spider View Post
    Does anyone miss Bendis dialogue pages? Sure, there were a lot of talking heads but I like when characters can have actual conversations.

It would have made the interaction with Ben and Miles much more interesting. "You had a clone thing? What a saga they can be"
    Not me. I actually hate that kinda winking, self-referential dialogue.

I do agree that Ben should have more internal dialogues. I miss thought balloons in comics so much!

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Not me. I actually hate that kinda winking, self-referential dialogue.

I do agree that Ben should have more internal dialogues. I miss thought balloons in comics so much!
    Narration in the form of internal dialogue, if we're not gonna have thought bubbles, would be great, too.

- Janine having her "own ways" is interesting. Did she or Ben hacked her cellphone, so she could be using it without Beyond knowing? Would be cool.
    - Ben being insulted by Miles' "(...)for Spider-Man impostors." is great. He's no impostor.
    - BEN DOES NOT JOB. This was my biggest concern, because similiar things happened before. I'm glad he put a decent fight (if we can call it like that) and he wasn't even trying (Miles' too).
    - I want more Spider-Men team ups with Ben and Miles. I feel they could understand each other really well, none of them being the "real" Spider-Man and all the concerns about it could bond them.
    - I'm glad Ben is finally getting mad at Beyond. Something's not right and things has to be done the right way. Ben and Janine secret investigation? Yes, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    - Janine having her "own ways" is interesting. Did she or Ben hacked her cellphone, so she could be using it without Beyond knowing? Would be cool.
    - Ben being insulted by Miles' "(...)for Spider-Man impostors." is great. He's no impostor.
    - BEN DOES NOT JOB. This was my biggest concern, because similiar things happened before. I'm glad he put a decent fight (if we can call it like that) and he wasn't even trying (Miles' too).
    - I want more Spider-Men team ups with Ben and Miles. I feel they could understand each other really well, none of them being the "real" Spider-Man and all the concerns about it could bond them.
    - I'm glad Ben is finally getting mad at Beyond. Something's not right and things has to be done the right way. Ben and Janine secret investigation? Yes, please!
    Generally cosigned, especially your last two points. Beyond is very damned shady, even without the context of their prior appearances when they were revealed as a front for some kind of interdimensional horror that took sadistic pleasure in "playing games" with mortals, so I'm also glad Ben's getting fed up with being made to dance to their tune. He and Janine going to investigate what Beyond really wants . . . I look forward to that as well. And yes, Ben and Miles bonding over neither of them being the "real" Spider-Man, yet both of them striving to live up to Peter Parker's example . . . more of that, too, please.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I though the thing is the phial at the end was a symbiote?

This issue was meh. Again.

Way too short and shallow a run at what could have been an interesting story. Spider-man meets Spider-man can hold a miniseries, this was bullet points just to say they've met. Heck, it was probably just so they could have both on the cover and boost sales a little.

I'm really happy to have Ben back and in a leading roll but that doesn't overshadow that these aren't particularly good comics and if this were a character I wasn't so nostalgic for I would have a harsher opinion (and certainly wouldn't be buying).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I though the thing is the phial at the end was a symbiote?

This issue was meh. Again.

Way too short and shallow a run at what could have been an interesting story. Spider-man meets Spider-man can hold a miniseries, this was bullet points just to say they've met. Heck, it was probably just so they could have both on the cover and boost sales a little.

I'm really happy to have Ben back and in a leading roll but that doesn't overshadow that these aren't particularly good comics and if this were a character I wasn't so nostalgic for I would have a harsher opinion (and certainly wouldn't be buying).
    I can respect your critique on "short and shallow," which kind of reminds me of Renew Your Vows by Gerry Conway where the really potentially meaty stuff that could (and should) have been expanded on further --- the X-Men team-up and how Spider-Man and his family would fit into their world and the larger superhero community, Mary Jane unwittingly bonding with Venom because she doesn't want to be a literal drain on Peter thanks to her Regent-tech suit drawing on his lifeforce to emulate his powers, even Normie Osborn's vendetta against the man he believes betrayed and killed his father --- was crammed into two or three issues each, feeling rather rushed to me in terms of development. That said, I do hope for a miniseries revolving around both the originator of the Spider-Man mantle (Peter Parker) and those who've gone on to (try to) claim it for themselves over the years and even well into the future --- Ben, Miles, Otto/Superior, and Miguel from 2099 --- ultimately celebrating the legacy of Spider-Man.