Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    THIS is a shockingly great idea that I'd be totally down for. Batman of the 31st century imagined not as some teched out Robocop, but rather a young man who's so damn good at fighting that it may as well be superhuman. Each new and obscure martial art from across the galaxy may as well be a new gadget. Bat shaped throwing stars? Cute. Try a 25th century air palm technique. Camouflage? How about slowing down your breathing and flow of chi so much that reality has trouble registering you as there!

This could totally be a thing. Plus, as an added bonus it would do away with the charming yet dated and limiting (and likely trademarked) "Karate Kid" name.

I had a similar thought assuming Ultra Boy would be the Superman/Superboy of the 31st century, and that would be the last straw for Mon-El. But I could still see Mon-El finally earning the title and learning some humility. Bendis wouldn't stop talking about how much he was excited for what he had in mind for Mon.
    Senpai noticed me.....

I was hoping JL 3000 would've done that back in the new 52. But it still can as a spinoff comic to Legion/JL. It would help lighten the load so to speak.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-21-2021 at 03:20 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Senpai noticed me.....

I was hoping JL 3000 would've done that back in the new 52. But it still can as a spinoff comic to Legion/JL. It would help lighten the load so to speak.
    I be seeing you out here, don't worry

Wasn't a fan of JL 3000, but I really do think DC needs to stop playing around and expand their Legion line in a similar way to how Marvel did their X books. What you basically have is a setting and concept that is equal parts X-Men and Ultimate Universe. We're talking a House of El or New Krypton book rather than a Superman of the 31st century book, a United Planets book, Planet Gotham book, and Legion of Subs book to name a few. Someone just has to come in and do it. The set up is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Not necessarily. Jon coming out got DC the most mainstream attention they’ve had in a long time. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have him date a male Legionnaire. What if they had Jon date Brainiac 5. A twist on the Bronze Age Supergirl romance.
    I said Jon dating Jay's days are likely numbered, but I never said anything about him being bi going out the window.

I'd be ALLLLLL kinds of down for Jon dating Brainiac 5! I especially liked Bendis' Brainiac as a doofy Superman fanboy who's crazy smart and knows how to get **** done...but then can totally mess up just as easily.

I'd actually bet good money that that's who they go with after Saturn Girl (if that's the order). Bendis did after all link the two in House of Kent when Brainy came back to the present with Jon for a bit, and it was his idea to begin with the bring him to the future.

Plus, Superman kissing a Brainiac has recginizablity to it.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Well, I mean, it's a reboot, so it's new.
    Yeah, but it's using an established characters' name and is portraying itself as the current version of said character, so I can't really disassociate it that much.
    Bendis may do the thing he was setting up in his run where everyone calls him Superman, but Jon keeps asking to be called Superboy because he's too scared to take that leap yet.
    It would be nice to get more Superboy presence in animation.
    "Established"? Established to who? I mean, not only is Legion such a lesser known IP that basically no one that isn't a super knows or cares who Sun Boy has dated in past continuities, but this is also a flat out REBOOT. What's "established" in past continuities matters only as far as a reference or general inspiration goes. Who they "should" end up with is only a suggestion or possiblity.
    Established across most of the Legion's history and for many fans of the properties.

I get that it's based off Bendis' latest reboot but, at the end of the day, it's still adapting the Legion and their mythos and portraying it in the modern day for current audiences and I feel like it has the expectation of conveying what people loved about those older comics in terms of relationships and characters for said audience to invest in. Like I became a fan of Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl through their relationship in the original cartoon. And this is true for a lot of adaptions in my opinion.
    What if they had Jon date Brainiac 5. A twist on the Bronze Age Supergirl romance.
    I wonder if they'd do Brainiac 5 and Dream Girl since I think that was a thing at some point and it's coming off the Supergirl show where the main relationship was Brainy and Dreamer.
    Wasn't a fan of JL 3000, but I really do think DC needs to stop playing around and expand their Legion line in a similar way to how Marvel did their X books. What you basically have is a setting and concept that is equal parts X-Men and Ultimate Universe. We're talking a House of El or New Krypton book rather than a Superman of the 31st century book, a United Planets book, Planet Gotham book, and Legion of Subs book to name a few. Someone just has to come in and do it. The set up is already there.
    I don't think comic sales would justify it (and I don't think Bendis can justify another Wonder Comics at this point) but if the show is a big hit they might at least do some kind of comic expansion. But I think that's a big IF.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but it's using an established characters' name and is portraying itself as the current version of said character, so I can't really disassociate it that much.
    It's unfortunate that you can't, but the vast majority of the people checking this out won't even know or care who Cosmic Boy is let alone who he dated back in the 70s, so it'll be fine.

Established across most of the Legion's history and for many fans of the properties.
    See the above.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

It's unfortunate that you can't, but the vast majority of the people checking this out won't even know or care who Cosmic Boy is let alone who he dated back in the 70s, so it'll be fine.

See the above.
    My point is that this is an opportunity to introduce new audiences to the Legion and their relationships and do them justice. At least that's my preference.

Gonna be honest, I know nothing about Legion and the franchise in general was something I really only knew of tangentially through Superman but I'll definitely check this out. Love HBO Max's focus on animation based on DC properties

Not necessarily. Jon coming out got DC the most mainstream attention they’ve had in a long time. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have him date a male Legionnaire.

It would be kind of funny if Jon comes out to the LoS and they’re like “yeah…and?”. It’s the 31st century. They don’t have all the hang ups of our time.

What if they had Jon date Brainiac 5. A twist on the Bronze Age Supergirl romance.
    Was just about to post this lol. Clark and Brainy had some intentional subtext going on in the old Legion cartoon per Tucker, I could see them making that explicit between Jon and Brainy
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I wonder how much they might stunt cast this.

Remember when Yuri Lowenthal played two versions of Superman? Good times .

Jon & Brainy would be cool. I have a friend who read the Legion way way back and for him, certain characters go together. I guess some of the relationships lasted for years so he could wrap his idea around new pairings. That’s the positive of going into Bendis’ Legion with a blank slate I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Jon & Brainy would be cool. I have a friend who read the Legion way way back and for him, certain characters go together. I guess some of the relationships lasted for years so he could wrap his idea around new pairings. That’s the positive of going into Bendis’ Legion with a blank slate I guess.
    I guess it really goes into what one expects from an adaption.

I guess it really goes into what one expects from an adaption.
    Idk about Legion in general but most comic adaptations make new pairings. Young Justice's main pairings basically have no basis in the comics and were entirely original to the show (Wally/Artemis, Ms. Martian/Superboy, Dick/Zatanna). The MCU made Tony/Pepper the main pairing when they were never like that in the comics and other adaptations make big changes as well (Rachel Dawes, Chase Meridian, etc..)

When you have an adaptation, it is important to get the general characterization on point and then tell your own story with it. If Lightning Lad has more chemistry with another character, it would be poor to force them to match the comics. The comics imo are inspiration, not a template

Essentially I'm just see it as it's own thing. Most adaptations of DC and Marvel tend to be pretty loose and it's all the better for it.

In most cases...except for the Halle Berry Catwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Idk about Legion in general but most comic adaptations make new pairings. Young Justice's main pairings basically have no basis in the comics and were entirely original to the show (Wally/Artemis, Ms. Martian/Superboy, Dick/Zatanna). The MCU made Tony/Pepper the main pairing when they were never like that in the comics and other adaptations make big changes as well (Rachel Dawes, Chase Meridian, etc..)

When you have an adaptation, it is important to get the general characterization on point and then tell your own story with it. If Lightning Lad has more chemistry with another character, it would be poor to force them to match the comics. The comics imo are inspiration, not a template
    Yeah, but they still had Dick with Babs and I would've preferred Wally with Linda in the long run. At the end of the day their most significant relationships in media should be the canon ones in my opinion.

If you're adapting them right then Lightning Lad should have the most (romantic) chemistry with Saturn Girl.

Yeah, but they still had Dick with Babs and I would've preferred Wally with Linda in the long run. At the end of the day their most significant relationships in media should be the canon ones in my opinion.

If you're adapting them right then Lightning Lad should have the most (romantic) chemistry with Saturn Girl.
    I'm a big Dickbabs fan but I still think in YJ, Dick should have stuck with Zatanna or gotten with Artemis after season 2 (seriously don't hate they had a lot of chemistry and it would make for some great angst; Could have been a Peter/Gwen/MJ situation). Him getting with Babs off-screen in a timeskip that only has meaning to people who read comics does nothing to me. I wanna see any romantic development on-screen.

That's only if you're exactly adapting old stories which never happens. It's a new medium. You tell new stories and ones that can explore different concepts using the same characters and then as a writer, you have to see how the characters evolve under your writing and develop them so that it grows organically.

Well technically that relationship between LL and SG isn’t canon anymore, the Jon/Irma relationship is
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/