Super Moderator

Default Garfield & Stone on "Amazing Spider-Man 2's" 'Thrilling and Terrifying' Ending

Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and more weigh in on the shocking ending of Sony's new "Amazing Spider-Man" sequel. Major spoilers ahead!

Full article here.

Cellistic

For Garfield, he believes that the death of Gwen Stacy separates "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" from other comic book movies and big-budget blockbusters because it ups the stakes in a truly tragic way.

Via fridging. I feel that killing Gwen Stacey was one thing but to suggest that you can't retell the story of Gwen Stacey without brutally and pointlessly murdering her feels really reductive. That's obviously not all that there is to the character.

Spidery-Mitchell

This last two movies has been very lukewarm to me. I figure out that her death was coming when they decide to take Mary Jane out of the movie. I feel that the deaths of the Both Staceys in the movies was not handle right in my opinion.

I think Gwen's death was handled fairly well. It was much more impactful than George Stacy, for some obvious reasons. But it would have been nice if we had gotten two whole films with Peter and Gwen and left her death for the third one and use a fourth film as kind of an epilogue to the series.

I think an argument could be made that Gwen falling through a clock tower was a little ham-fisted. It looked like a Gothic Mario game set-up. Whereas in the comics it was a fairly quick and clean push from a bridge. There was more, I dunno, reality to it I guess. But I think for what it was I still felt it.

They could have gone through another Spider-Man movie cycle without killing Gwen but I agree that ultimately this is Peter Parker's story and all characters, male or female, service Peter's overall journey.

They handled the death very well. Even though we all knew it was coming, everyone in the theater still gasped when it happened. They did a good job of setting that scene up.

The moment he finds out she's gone, he did cry, and the scene was well done. But, somehow, they never set the characters up, because you just don't feel for them the way, say, you felt for Spock dying in ST 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    The moment he finds out she's gone, he did cry, and the scene was well done. But, somehow, they never set the characters up, because you just don't feel for them the way, say, you felt for Spock dying in ST 2.
    I thought Gwen's death had a far bigger impact than Spock's "death" in ST2. And that was primarily because Spock was so underwritten and underutilized in that second movie. At least Gwen was well utilized until the end.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The fans knew her death was coming but I think leaving her alive until the third movie would've been better. This generation needs to be exposed to Peter's other love interests. Bring in Anna Maria instead of Mary Jane for 3 and 4.

Emma Stone did a great job and it's sad to see her go.

I think losing Stone is a terrible waste, really. She and Garfield have obvious, clear chemistry that they should have continued to capitalise on; Rather than going one step further than Raimi's films and having the damsel in distress get killed, she should survive. That - to me - would weigh heavier on Peter than a love interest being dead and him inevitably having to protect the next love interest who comes along. I don't really see what this is going to contribute to Spider-Man's character that the death of Uncle Ben didn't. In the books the death of the Stacys came at a time when Uncle Ben's death and his message would at least be a few years old and the deaths would serve as an example to Peter; Here, it's a sequel to a two year old movie and it just feels pointless.

It's a shame. Stone's a great actress, she was a draw for me since she is easily the best 'love interest' character either film incarnation of this franchise has had, and again, she has great chemistry with Garfield - who I don't really consider strong enough to carry the film on his own. Still.. Given Sony seem to have chopped the previous actress playing Mary Jane from the franchise in the wake of Divergent's moderate success, it will be interesting to see how the films proceed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MrStatham View Post
    Given Sony seem to have chopped the previous actress playing Mary Jane from the franchise in the wake of Divergent's moderate success, it will be interesting to see how the films proceed.
    Shailene Woodley's scenes were cut from ASM II before Divergent was even released. If anything, the success of Divergent (and it was more than "moderate," given its budget) would make her an even more attractive asset for ASM III, assuming she's available and under contract to Sony.

Spectacular Member

Let's not forget that Gwen saved the entire city prior to her death. Much like Coulson in the Avengers, Gwen Stacy very much died a hero. Which actually makes this an improvement over the 1973 classic story. But ultimately, all things in the story should revolve around in how they affect Peter, and this death might be the one that affects him the most.

The fact that Stone and Garfield had so much chemistry made this even more tragic, and thus made the story more powerful. Characters in their life should have purpose so that in death there is meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The fans knew her death was coming but I think leaving her alive until the third movie would've been better. This generation needs to be exposed to Peter's other love interests. Bring in Anna Maria instead of Mary Jane for 3 and 4.

Emma Stone did a great job and it's sad to see her go.
    Felicia Hardy is literally right there. And Anna Maria falls in love with Otto Octavius, not Peter Parker. We don't even really know how to feel about each other in the comics yet. I know Superior Spider-Man was awesome but we should wait a little bit at the very least.

I'm very wary of losing Gwen. It is a great moment in comic book history and handled well. I just hope the chemistry of MJ and Peter match the chemistry he had with Gwen.

I liked the movie till the end. I really was hoping they were not going that way. I know gwen's death is important and comics. She died even before I was born and peter and mj were married when I stared reading spidey. I'm just like why of all things they had to keep from comics her fate. I just liked gwen enough even mj being introduced in the next I didn't want to see her go in the movie.

All-New Member

I knew it was coming , even told the better half. But I agree with a lot that the chemistry was there and hoping they would bring it to the third movie or just dont make it happen but i did teared up, it hit me. it was an awesome movie . As for the death of ock it didn't have the same impact.

It should have ended with her death. Hate the tacked-on happy ending. This should have been the franchise's Empire Strikes Back.