Extraordinary Member

Default Embracer Group to purchase Dark Horse Comics

Dark Horse Comics Will Be Purchased by European Video Game Giant
    Embracer Group, a European holding company with a portfolio of video game development studios and publishers, has entered into an agreement to publish Dark Horse Comics, one of the largest publisher of comics in the United States. Embracer Group announced the purchase today, stating that the sale would be finalized in early 2022. The purchase will include Dark Horse's comics publishing arm, production company, and the comics retail chain Things From Another World. As a part of the purchase, Embracer Group will keep Dark Horse as a separate operating entity, similar to nine other companies owned by the group. Current Dark Horse CEO Mike Richardson will continue to the lead the company after the acquisition. Financial details of the purchase were not disclosed.

So Dark Horse Comics is no longer an independent publisher?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    So Dark Horse Comics is no longer an independent publisher?
    Yes, assuming the deal goes through they will be owned by a parent company.

Here's the press release from Embracer: https://embracer.com/release/embrace...erative-group/

Hoping this leads to DH reviving their superhero books.

So the new set up is not all that different from the situation with Valiant currently, an "independent" wing inside a larger multinational media conglomerate. Oh wait that's the Marvel and Dc set up as well.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Earlier this month Bloomberg reported they were looking to sell to a Hollywood studio, or conglomerate like Viacom. So it's not completely unexpected I suppose.

Looking over Embracer Group's press release is interesting. 80% of shares belonged to an unnamed Hong Kong-based shareholder, and only 20% were owned by the CEO & COO.
    It's also amusing which titles they highlight as Dark Horse owned properties: The Mask, Time Cop, Father’s Day, and Ghost. Presumably because major franchises like Hellboy are creator-owned.

Looks like Embracer/THQ Nordic didn't really buy Dark Horse for their IP, but primarily as a production house. This way they can have merch, comics, and TV pitches of their games getting produced.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Looks like Embracer/THQ Nordic didn't really buy Dark Horse for their IP, but primarily as a production house. This way they can have merch, comics, and TV pitches of their games getting produced.
    Yeah, it does feel like another piece for their big picture puzzle.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Hoping this leads to DH reviving their superhero books.
    I swear if Ghost comes back I will buy 100 copies. She's been my favorite hero since I was a kid.
    PLEASE READ CLOAK & DAGGER IN SAVAGE AVENGERS!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. Marvel: Savage Avengers, She Hulk. Dynamite: Vampirella.
    Support Indie Comics: Coffin Comics, Lion Forge, and so much more!!!
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!