Amazing Member

Default Red Sonja and Deja Thoris help

I’m trying to start reading both of these characters, but I’m getting a little lost in the weeds trying to figure everything out with Dynamite’s naming conventions.

For Sonja, does the 2005 series recount her origins, or assume you know them from the Marvel period? I’ve also been told that Sonja is only the main character for part of the run, and the rest someone else takes her place, so I’m curious as to whether that would be still of interest of someone focused on Sonja herself. Additionally, there is the Gail Simone reboot- do any series released after that assume that origin story? I’m just trying to get clear on my timelines there.

With Deja, my main focus at this time is her story with John Carter and her solo that spun off of that. What are the correct titles to grab in that case?

I’m also open to suggestions on other stories to read and such. For Sonja, I don’t need info on the Marvel period because that comes pretty clearly to me, it’s mostly the Dynamite period I’m lost on.

Extraordinary Member

If you're looking for some sort of linear continuity read of Red Sonja I think you're in for a disappointment as each new creative is a reboot either explicitly or implicitly by ignoring/not referencing anything that came before. I think you have two choice, read stuff chronologically by release date and accept that it ain't going to fit together or pick stuff to read based by creators you already know and like.

For Dejah Thoris, I believe the original Warlord of Mars series from Dynamite is meant to be an adaptation of the Burroughs novels, everything else is set before, after or in between books.

In terms of recommendations I've read a decent amount of Dynamite Red Sonja and a lot of it runs together after a while, stuff that explicitly stands out: Gail Simone's stuff, Mark Russell's stuff, Red Sonja: The Ballad of the Red Goddess, Red Sonja: Sonja Goes East, Red Sonja/Tarzan and Red Sonja: The Superpowers.

For Dejah Thoris the recent Dan Abnett stuff has been decent, I believe it is set after the books - don't know, never read the novels - and Barbarella/Dejah Thoris, which I adored.
    Last edited by Hypo; 12-21-2021 at 09:43 AM.

Amazing Member

Thanks for the help. A question in case anyone knows- During Amy Chu’s run on Red Sonja, she spends the first two trades stuck in the modern day, but then returns to the Hyborian Age in the third trade. Can I start from the third trade without being lost?