Astonishing Member

Default 5 Ways in which you want Affleck's Batman to differ from Nolan's version

We all know that the DCCU Batman is going to differ from Nolan's version...but we do not yet know in what specific ways. All we really know so far about this Batman is that he's got a more 'comic-bookish' suit, and he's going to be significantly older (in his mid 40's) and a veteran crime-fighter. There are also rumors he's an urban myth. Beyond that we know nothing. So what are 5 ways in which you'd like Affleck's Batman (or Bruce Wayne) to differ from Nolan's version. Either for BvS, or any future films.

Here's my 5 points-

1. He should be first and foremost, a detective. That's one aspect which previous films have not really emphasized. Sure, Batman is and always should be a kick-ass fighter...but in a world with flying aliens and an Amazon warrior princess, that alone can't give Bruce the edge. On the other hand, his mind, and especially his keen analytic abilities, certainly gives him a somewhat unique edge over other heroes. Not to mention, the whole 'Batman is an urban myth' narrative only works if he spends less time fighting criminals and more time investigating crime scenes, gathering evidence, and mulling over it in the Batcave.

2. Maybe an extension of the above point, but I think this is a Batman who should be a strategist and tactical genius second-to-none. In Grant Morrison's JLA, Superman once referred to Batman as 'the most dangerous man in the world' - giving the Dark Knight more than enough street cred to stand up alongside the other 'Gods' in the JLA pantheon. Also, I think a Batman who's been active for decades, and who (hopefully) will have eliminated organized crime in Gotham, would have over time become a skilled strategist. Nolan's Batman, as great as he was, wasn't particularly a skilled strategist. He didn't develop complex schemes and plans to trap his foes...he mostly reacted to what they did. The closest he came to being the strategic genius he was in the comics is the end of TDKR, where he organizes the war against Bane's forces...and I'd like to see a LOT more of that in this version.

3. The identity crisis. More specifically a protagonist who's over time become more 'Batman' than Bruce. In the Nolan films, it was always clear that Bruce was the real persona and Batman was the symbol he created to inspire people. Sure, Bruce was desperate to get back to the cape and cowl in TDKR, but that's mainly because he felt he had nothing else to live for...not specifically because he and the 'Batman' were so inseparable. But the DCCU Batman should be a guy who has lived with the cowl for so long that he now truly believes himself to be 'Batman'. Doesn't mean Bruce Wayne is necessarily a cover or false persona...just that 'Batman' isn't just a mask he puts on...its an inseparable aspect of who he fundamentally is as a person.

4. Bruce Wayne as a public figure. Another thing the Nolan films didn't really explore much. In recent comics, Bruce Wayne's importance to Gotham as a prominent citizen, philantrophist and business leader have been emphasized greatly, and I'd love to see more of that with Affleck's version. Indeed, that seems to be par for the course, with Bruce apparently being a rival of Lex Luthor's, and possibly playing a part in rebuilding Metropolis. I like the idea of Bruce serving Gotham in both his identities, making both his lives vital to the mission of helping Gotham. While Batman spends his nights cleaning up the streets, Bruce Wayne works towards long-term solutions to ensuring those streets stay clean, and prosperous.

5. Batman as a leader. Another aspect previous films haven't really touched upon all that much; mainly because of the absence of the Bat-family. Despite ostensibly being a loner, Batman has been long-established as one of the great leaders of the DCU. He has been the de facto leader of various incarnations of the Justice League. He founded the Outsiders. He's the leader of the 'Bat-family', which at various points in the comics canon, has had nearly as many members as any full-fledged superhero team. Sure, we saw Batman as a leader in TDKR at the end, but the point there was more about him being a symbol and inspiration. Well, in the DCCU, Superman is more than capable of being the symbol and inspiration. Batman on the other hand, can be the general who leads the troops into battle.

Astonishing Member

Whether or not he's a detective is more of like "5 Ways in which I want a better writer".

Affleck himself?

1. More Conroy, less GRARRRWHEREARETHEOTHERDRUGGGSGOING GARBLE GARBLE.
    2. No moping, self doubt, despair and sitting in chairs staring at nothing. Seriously I get enough of that in my own life.
    3. I'd say "comic accurate costume", but hey look!
    4. Actually enjoying himself when he's doing the "civic duty"/"philanthropy" thing, even as he's secretly detectiving Luthor and tactically chess-playing his CEO rival.
    5. Lane/Wayne. You know, a woman who isn't an equal to the optimum man, she's superior to him.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Fantastic Member

This wayne is going to look for and teach accountability for actions to Supes. And he is going to teach him the way his parents taught him.

5. More Gothic look and feel for Gotham.
    4. A strong position within emerging superhero community
    3. Varied rogues gallery including more supernatural/super powered villains.
    2. Older/established in Justice League films younger urban legend in solo films.
    1. Extended Batfamily

I also hope for an O'Neil Batman as opposed to Miller but that is more of a similarity to Nolan and likely not going to happen.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 08-29-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus