Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    That magneto attack on the forge really doesn't make him look good. It storngly implies his powers are not immeasurable as the other omega mutants as he needed an entire mutant circuit to amp him and he still failed. Smh.

But yes house of M is a good story loved by many it was my first comic of the scarlet with but not my first time seeing her. The first time I met Wanda was in the avengers cartoon where she was dating wonder man and anytime she would use her powers she would say "winds of destiny change" and alter the event or outcome of a situation. I do admit HOM did turn her into your run of the mill op reality warper but it also put Wanda on the map for many. It's just the no more mutants at the end that I didn't understand, till later.
    There's no doubt that some fans came to know Wanda then, but the story itself was destructive for her in many ways. One of the most destructive was that she was pulled from comics for 7 years. And it made the character so that writers didn't want to touch her because that meant they'd have to clean up a huge mess. But it also tacked onto her one of the most damaging tropes. The baby crazy trope. When she was the one that wasn't even sure about having kids at first. Vision was the one that was baby crazy. She went to Doctor Strange to make sure that using magic to create children was safe and he reassured her. What AD/HoM did was take all of that and turn her into someone completely irresponsible and selfish.

It got her magic wrong. It took her remembering her kids and working through that loss and completely binned it. Wanda was a leader and co-leader of a couple teams. Now who would even trust her?

It's not really about how popular the story became. Because I feel it was more infamous than famous in regards to her. And that if HoM didn't involve the X-Men and mutants, not many would even know of it. Which is why it gets mentioned more than AD. And no one really remembers when Vision went insane from the possession of the computer ISAAC and tried to take over the world. No one remembers Tony Stark possessed by Kang to kill Avengers and having to be rebooted by bringing in some teenage version from an alt past.

HoM is only known because of what happened to mutants. And isn't the only Wanda story to have sold well nor sold out. More famous of a story that actually has her narrative and which she has autonomy is Vision and the Scarlet Witch.

HoM itself in it's universe was not even about her. It was a story about Wolverine figuring out that the reality was fake. Wanda was wallpaper in it. And her version outside of that reality was in a coma. If you put the cosmic cube in her place, the story ends up the same. She's the lamp in HoM.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 12-25-2021 at 02:28 AM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    They had a Gay man's daughter die of Aids? Back in the 80's? That seems very poor taste.....
    He found the baby abandoned in a alley. He wanted to adopt her then she died of Aids (all in 1 issue). This prompted Northstar to come out as gay.
    Broken English Spoken Perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    There's no doubt that some fans came to know Wanda then, but the story itself was destructive for her in many ways. One of the most destructive was that she was pulled from comics for 7 years. And it made the character so that writers didn't want to touch her because that meant they'd have to clean up a huge mess. But it also tacked onto her one of the most damaging tropes. The baby crazy trope. When she was the one that wasn't even sure about having kids at first. Vision was the one that was baby crazy. She went to Doctor Strange to make sure that using magic to create children was safe and he reassured her. What AD/HoM did was take all of that and turn her into someone completely irresponsible and selfish.

It got her magic wrong. It took her remembering her kids and working through that loss and completely binned it. Wanda was a leader and co-leader of a couple teams. Now who would even trust her?

It's not really about how popular the story became. Because I feel it was more infamous than famous in regards to her. And that if HoM didn't involve the X-Men and mutants, not many would even know of it. Which is why it gets mentioned for more than AD. And no one really remembers when Vision went insane from the possession of the computer ISAAC and tried to take over the world. No one remembers Tony Stark possessed by Kang to kill Avengers and have to be rebooted by bringing in some teenage version from an alt past.

HoM is only known because of what happened to mutants. And isn't the only Wanda story to have sold well nor sold out. More famous of a story that actually has her narrative and which she has autonomy is Vision and the Scarlet Witch.

HoM itself in it's universe was not even about her. It was a story about Wolverine figuring out that the reality was fake. Wanda was wallpaper in it. And her version outside of that reality was in a coma. If you put the cosmic cube in her place, the story ends up the same. She's the lamp in HoM.
    Yeah, the only real thing anyone can glean from HoM about Wanda is “FEATS!”, but even those ignored her established canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Yeah, the only real thing anyone can glean from HoM about Wanda is “FEATS!”, but even those ignored her established canon.
    And they ended up not even being her feats. And she had better feats before HoM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    And they ended up not even being her feats. And she had better feats before HoM.
    Such as helping Dr. Strange vanishing Set, defeating the Enchantress, defeating a number of high powered opponents.

Defeating Morgan Le Fay in the Busiek era. Combing order and chaos to reform
    the In Betweener and reset cosmic balance. Leading a mission from hell.

BANNED

Cool think about MCU is they remember for decades Dr. Strange has always gone to the Scarlet Witch for help.

And Strange did so in the post credit scenes of Spider Man, No Way Home.

That magneto attack on the forge really doesn't make him look good. It storngly implies his powers are not immeasurable as the other omega mutants as he needed an entire mutant circuit to amp him and he still failed. Smh.

But yes house of M is a good story loved by many it was my first comic of the scarlet with but not my first time seeing her. The first time I met Wanda was in the avengers cartoon where she was dating wonder man and anytime she would use her powers she would say "winds of destiny change" and alter the event or outcome of a situation. I do admit HOM did turn her into your run of the mill op reality warper but it also put Wanda on the map for many. It's just the no more mutants at the end that I didn't understand, till later.
    That's why some people say that for all the hype around the Omega title, if the plot demands you fail then you will fail.

On the other hand, doesn't Magneto have a history of burning out his body by over taxing his powers?

I'd also toss out the thought of why the don't just have someone like Jamie remove the station from existence.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I think you misunderstood what happened.

- Synch maintained his memories of the vault because he didn’t actually die or be resurrected
    He did die, he just happened to have his memories backed up before it happened.

So much for Omega level mutants having an undefinable upper limit, huh? Lol

The problem is that both her powers and her personality in HoM aren't what she's usually like, and even her personality in HoM isn't doing much besides her being crazy.

It may have been a lot of people's first time seeing her, but it's a terrible representation of who she is, it's like how Injustice is a terrible representation of Superman and Wonder Woman, and HoM is arguably far, far worse for Wanda than Injustice is for either of them, 'cause Wanda isn't as known, doesn't show up much outside of comics, it happened in the mainline comics, made her go to limbo and pretty much screwed her role as an Avenger, and considering she's been an Avenger for most of her existence, that's really bad.

Because Wanda isn't that popular as a character, a story like this damages her far more than more popular characters, Wally had a similarly story with Heroes in Crisis, where he killed a bunch of people 'cause he went crazy, that was fixed within two years with two different excuses for what happened(Thawne's asspull hypnosis made him act out of character and cover up the muderers, and Savitar actually was the one who did it), and now Wally will be okay because he's that popular, Wanda has nothing of the like, which's why it took so fucking long for this nonsense to be fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I see this opens it up so multiple magic users can also learn and become adept at chaos magic. Kinda bummed it is a Wanda thing afterall but excited at the possibilities for others with magical potential now.
    As GenericUsername said Dr Strange and other magicians have already used Chaos magic, Wanda is different because she was chosen to be Chthon avatar as a baby so her connection to chaos magic is bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    That's why some people say that for all the hype around the Omega title, if the plot demands you fail then you will fail.

On the other hand, doesn't Magneto have a history of burning out his body by over taxing his powers?

I'd also toss out the thought of why the don't just have someone like Jamie remove the station from existence.
    Magnetoīs powers at their hightest level indeed can burn out his body but this doesnīt kill him either, he just becomes a kind of energy form until he can rearrange his body again. This happened on X-men 1 -3 and X-men The End by Claremont and this also helps to explain other times in which he has "died" and came back later but I donÂīt know if Hickman was thinking of this when he wrote Magneto dying after attaking Orchis, probably not.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-25-2021 at 12:11 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    He did die, he just happened to have his memories backed up before it happened.

The problem is that both her powers and her personality in HoM aren't what she's usually like, and even her personality in HoM isn't doing much besides her being crazy.

It may have been a lot of people's first time seeing her, but it's a terrible representation of who she is, it's like how Injustice is a terrible representation of Superman and Wonder Woman, and HoM is arguably far, far worse for Wanda than Injustice is for either of them, 'cause Wanda isn't as known, doesn't show up much outside of comics, it happened in the mainline comics, made her go to limbo and pretty much screwed her role as an Avenger, and considering she's been an Avenger for most of her existence, that's really bad.

Because Wanda isn't that popular as a character, a story like this damages her far more than more popular characters, Wally had a similarly story with Heroes in Crisis, where he killed a bunch of people 'cause he went crazy, that was fixed within two years with two different excuses for what happened(Thawne's asspull hypnosis made him act out of character and cover up the muderers, and Savitar actually was the one who did it), and now Wally will be okay because he's that popular, Wanda has nothing of the like, which's why it took so fucking long for this nonsense to be fixed.
    WandaVision has made Wanda very popular as a character and the show won two Emmys, 23 nominations, won Golden Globes, etc.

Things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Meh. They can't really have Omega mutants's power really be without limit... how could they be threatened?

If Magneto's power were really without limit he could erase Orchis's Forge by making the electromagnetic bonds between its atoms to cease to exist. He could pluck a moon-sized ball of plasma from the sun and hurl it against the Forge. Or he could hurl one of Mars's moons against it...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Meh. They can't really have Omega mutants's power really be without limit... how could they be threatened?

If Magneto's power were really without limit he could erase Orchis's Forge by making the electromagnetic bonds between its atoms to cease to exist. He could pluck a moon-sized ball of plasma from the sun and hurl it against the Forge. Or he could hurl one of Mars's moons against it...
    Totally right here. It’s childish fanboyism that wants to make someone’s character omnipotent just because it’s their favorite character. But that is terrible storytelling!

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    WandaVision has made Wanda very popular as a character and the show won two Emmys, 23 nominations, won Golden Globes, etc.

Things have changed.
    She is very popular now and that is a good thing. But for many years was not and wasn't at the time of AD/HoM which is how two stories that barely even feature her ended up defining who she was, despite not following previous canon for her at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I liked your alternative story Rev and yes it gets the focus back on Magneto but well I just stopped having any kind of interest in this story beyond hoping it didnīt damage Magnetoīs character, Leah said on an interview she never wrote this with the idea of having Magneto as the protagonist and it shows, she wrote it as part of a longer arc for X-factor so I guess between having to change plot points it ended being nothing of the sort, not a Magneto story, not a X-factor story and not a Wanda story. A mixed bag in all senses. I am just glad it gave some kind of closure to the whole pretender thing and thatīs it. I donīt think this will be relevant besides that. I also agree with Mercury, even if this story was rushed, this version should have had more editing and more scenes changed so it made more sense before being published.
    No this wasn’t written with Mags as the protagonist in mind. He was being used in X-Factor as the domineering dad foil and one could feel the bleed over to some of the early ToM issues. On the plus side the finale did put a band aid on some of those issues and even managed to include Lorna and Exodus on the same page for the first time in forever. She was in Exodus first comic BTW. The bad dad plot line has been an overlay on a floundering relationship that needed retooling though not that way.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Rev, your inbox is full.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247
    No this wasn’t written with Mags as the protagonist in mind. He was being used in X-Factor as the domineering dad foil and one could feel the bleed over to some of the early ToM issues. On the plus side the finale did put a band aid on some of those issues and even managed to include Lorna and Exodus on the same page for the first time in forever. She was in Exodus first comic BTW. The bad dad plot line has been an overlay on a floundering relationship that needed retooling though not that way.
    Agreed, I liked that last issue because of it, them hugging was a nice touch, I just wish their confrontation in the previous issues was done better and more in line with their previous story. I hope Exodus and Lorna get more a chance to interact and Magneto and Exodus as well, I donīt think they have shared more than one word on this whole era and thatīs quite rare.

"To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022