Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    No no that's 100% fair.I was way too... passionate about the issue and that's not healthy or fun for anyone.Just feel like if they are gonna give Ben his chance then they should stop using that time for other character like Daughter of the dragons.

Agreed on the latter as well
    Just out of curiosity, how did you take the superior era?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how did you take the superior era?
    I liked the concept but the execution wasn't it

It had been a long while of dealing w/ Slott's Peter so I was happy that he would be spared so there's that

I mean once Ock s*xually assaulted MJ I kinda lost hope, and they made everyone loose 100IQ points for the concept to work anyway.And MJ's character assasination was the worst I read in a long while

In comparison I'm liking Beyond quite a lot, even though when I heard of it I was far more excited for Superior in comparison

Astonishing Member

It had been a long while of dealing w/ Slott's Peter so I was happy that he would be spared so there's that

I mean once Ock s*xually assaulted MJ I kinda lost hope, and they made everyone loose 100IQ points for the concept to work anyway.And MJ's character assasination was the worst I read in a long while

In comparison I'm liking Beyond quite a lot, even though when I heard of it I was far more excited for Superior in comparison
    That's so true

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    If a couple months ago someone told me I'd see this post coming from you I'd honestly have a hard time believing that. (Please don't misunderstand, not giving you crap, just legit surprised your outlook on Ben-centric issues did a 180º).

As for this issue proper, it's a pretty nice Peter/MJ oneshot, but it has no business being a Beyond tie-in. It's so detached that they basically had to go "Oh right, this is still happening" in the last two pages. If Beyond is sending this guy after Peter (and maybe did something to Morbius as well, etc.) then it's high time they give us something more concrete instead of just "really makes you think" when we're at... I dunno, halfway point by now?

Did Beyond send this guy? I only read the issue once and I was a bit distracted because I did it on my commute to work (sitting on the train, don’t worry I wasn’t driving ), but I didn’t see any connection. He just seemed like a random baddie who was killing patients there. I guess I’ll reread it. On my first read I liked it a lot more than many posters here, so maybe a second read will also enlighten me about some of the problems others have with it.

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

What if…

What if Ben is actually totally wise to Beyond’s nefariousness and is playing the clueless poster boy to take them down from the inside?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Spider View Post
    What if…

What if Ben is actually totally wise to Beyond’s nefariousness and is playing the clueless poster boy to take them down from the inside?
    That could actually work. Given his own experiences, it shouldn't be much of a stretch for him to not be onboard with Beyond, regardless of what they've been offering him, especially with the very strong implication that they could just as easily take it all back if they so choose or please. We've already seen some welcome signs of rebellion with him hacking his suit to give himself some privacy when he needs it and most recently refusing Beyond's demands to "enforce their trademark" by beating up the "unauthorized" Spider-Man from Brooklyn. And for what it's worth, Janine's experiences would give her even more of a foundation to distrust Beyond, so she could very well be supporting Ben in undermining Beyond from inside.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    If a couple months ago someone told me I'd see this post coming from you I'd honestly have a hard time believing that. (Please don't misunderstand, not giving you crap, just legit surprised your outlook on Ben-centric issues did a 180º).
    Honestly, I don't really care about Ben and the way he disappears in this is annoying, this is supposedly his chance to show up in ASM, and we have annoying patterns that we could make a game of bingo out of (Or a drinking game if you hate having a functional liver), stuff like:

*Ben being incompetent.

*Ben not being in the comic.

*Rushed pacing.

*Daughters of the Dragon nonsense in general.

*Ben suddenly changing personalities.

*Mini arcs starting cool but ending meh.

*Janine staying in the apartment doing nothing.

*Beyond being shitty and Ben disobeys them.

I'm probably forgetting other stuff, but, for something that has Ben in it supposedly taking over ASM temporarily, he's... Not doing good to put it nicely, he's basically doing a BND speedrun.

As for this issue proper, it's a pretty nice Peter/MJ oneshot, but it has no business being a Beyond tie-in. It's so detached that they basically had to go "Oh right, this is still happening" in the last two pages. If Beyond is sending this guy after Peter (and maybe did something to Morbius as well, etc.) then it's high time they give us something more concrete instead of just "really makes you think" when we're at... I dunno, halfway point by now?
    It actually would fit more as a tie-in since this story looks so, inconsequential, meanwhile, some stuff that ends up as tie-ins are actually important, like the issue where Daughter of the Dragon chicks find out something important and tell Monica about it, or the fucking issue where Peter wakes up and Otto finds some stuff about Beyond.

Thining of it, it feels like Ben is the least important part in the Beyond arc, he's having random adventures while other characters are actively investigating Beyond.

We weren't even spared of that, 'cause Ghost Peter was around being annoying, not as annoying as Otto, but, still .

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Did Beyond send this guy? I only read the issue once and I was a bit distracted because I did it on my commute to work (sitting on the train, don’t worry I wasn’t driving :P), but I didn’t see any connection. He just seemed like a random baddie who was killing patients there. I guess I’ll reread it. On my first read I liked it a lot more than many posters here, so maybe a second read will also enlighten me about some of the problems others have with it.
    He's not saying Beyond sent the guy, he's saying that if Beyond is involved with this guy and Morbius, then they should do more than just that at this point.

What if…

He's playing it so well he's even looking like a moron to fool the reader, genius .

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That could actually work. Given his own experiences, it shouldn't be much of a stretch for him to not be onboard with Beyond, regardless of what they've been offering him, especially with the very strong implication that they could just as easily take it all back if they so choose or please. We've already seen some welcome signs of rebellion with him hacking his suit to give himself some privacy when he needs it and most recently refusing Beyond's demands to "enforce their trademark" by beating up the "unauthorized" Spider-Man from Brooklyn. And for what it's worth, Janine's experiences would give her even more of a foundation to distrust Beyond, so she could very well be supporting Ben in undermining Beyond from inside.
    As early as the second issue (ASM#76), he was rebelling against them too, so he never trusted them that much, at least, when it comes to Peter's secret identity.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member

What if…

What if...

What if Marvel actually respected the Spider-characters.C'mon obsidian that's crazy

The only character who gets treated w/some decency is Miles.Rest keep getting screwed over lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    We weren't even spared of that, 'cause Ghost Peter was around being annoying, not as annoying as Otto, but, still .
    Oh yeah, and then he picked a fight w/ Otto who was about to start surgery on a girl and then "lost".Yeah I wiped that from my mind

What if…

What if Beyond gets sick or Ben’s disobedience in the field and remotely shuts down his suit and Ben is unable to stop something tragic from happening and that’s what the previewed cover of him looking devastated is really about?

Astonishing Member

What if…

What if Beyond gets sick or Ben’s disobedience in the field and remotely shuts down his suit and Ben is unable to stop something tragic from happening and that’s what the previewed cover of him looking devastated is really about?
    That’d be really cool and interesting (which probably means it won’t happen…)

Astonishing Member

Do you think that creepy monster was actually a pawn of Beyond Corporation? I know this is the kind of things Peter always pass through, but I think this was too much of a coincidence.

Also, MJ was a real hero here. It's clear she doesn't need powers to prove what she's made of, but even so, I think a set of Spider-Powers could help her next time and assure her survival in crazy situations like this.

What if…

This is something I'd like. Very much. It wouldn't be Ben's fault obviously, but knowing him, he would feel so much pain and guilt... Getting him out of there has potential for a really great story. "Spider-Man No More" with Ben as the mc? Sign me in.

It would be even better if Janine did something to help him move, help him overcome that shut down costume, so he could save someone but not everyone. It would tighten their relationship and Ben still would be devastated and feeling guilty.

About the recent chapter...
    Like I've said in the other thread: this chapter feels like a filler and a waste of time. If it was .BEY chapter, then it would be better, imo. It's always nice to see Peter and MJ but not like that. And the biggest thing I didn't like - Ben's absence.
    Other than that, Mary Jane is doing something more than looking through the window which is always a good thing, I guess.

I like the idea of Janine helping him overcome the suit shut down. Give her something useful to do and strengthen their bond. Nice touch.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This was terrible.

As a standalone comic it was fine, but for being part of a limited run that is supposed to focusing on Ben as Spider-man working for an evil organisation with plans to [I bet we never really find out], a story that seems not only stuck in act one but in issue two, this was a complete waste of pages.

I hate being negative but I can't wait for the next Spider-man run and JMD's Ben miniseries that will hopefully have actual stories to tell.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

What if…

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    This is something I'd like. Very much. It wouldn't be Ben's fault obviously, but knowing him, he would feel so much pain and guilt... Getting him out of there has potential for a really great story. "Spider-Man No More" with Ben as the mc? Sign me in.

It would be even better if Janine did something to help him move, help him overcome that shut down costume, so he could save someone but not everyone. It would tighten their relationship and Ben still would be devastated and feeling guilty.

About the recent chapter...
    Like I've said in the other thread: this chapter feels like a filler and a waste of time. If it was .BEY chapter, then it would be better, imo. It's always nice to see Peter and MJ but not like that. And the biggest thing I didn't like - Ben's absence.
    Other than that, Mary Jane is doing something more than looking through the window which is always a good thing, I guess.
    Could work, yeah. And yes, I am also a sucker for MJ getting more to do in these stories, though I do concur that I'd like to see more of what Ben is doing, and will do now that Peter's awake, if not exactly fully recovered. That said, the idea of Beyond destroying a whole bunch of innocent lives by neutralizing Ben's suit to keep him from being able to save them, just so Beyond could teach him a lesson about the price of not being an obedient pawn . . . well, I could see that happening in the middle or end of the impending confrontation with Doctor Octopus. It would definitely show how evil Beyond Corporation really is, that it'd be willing to allow so much death and destruction just to stick it to an "insubordinate employee."
    The spider is always on the hunt.