Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default The Matrix Resurrections (spoilers)

I'm not sure how I feel about this movie, it seems under and overproduced at the same time.

There's something that I will say though, movies like the original "The Matrix" aren't made anymore. Specifically, mid-budget, semi-experimental, "trippy" action, sci-fi, and horror movies seemed to have died out some years ago, that could be partially due to guys like Joel Silver (who was instrumental in the original Matrix movies being made at all) and the Weinsteins no longer being active in the industry anymore. Hence, I wasn't expecting something close to the original movie, which made the choices in the new movie all the more puzzling.

My thoughts,

1. Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann-Moss slipped back into their roles seamlessly. I was never a big fan of the Neo and Trinity romance but I actually liked the way it was depicted in this movie.

2. The new movie suffers from "The Force Awakens" syndrome, Matrix Resurrections is basically a remake of the first movie. The movie literally showed clips from the original movie and had scenes from it "projected on a big screen". WTF?!! In addition, the movie recreated a TON of scenes and sequences from the first movie and somehow it didn't look as good as it did in 1999! It totally lacked the long action takes and grittiness of the original movie. Just like TFA, the movie basically went back to the end of the Matrix Revolutions to restore everything back to the status quo at the beginning of the original Matrix. It just came across as unimaginative and poorly done.

3. The movie looked a little too shiny and the absence of the green filter made the movie look almost like a direct-to-video action movie.

4. The movie had waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much exposition.

5. The action sequences weren't creative or inventive at all which is something ALL the previous Matrix movies had. On a personal level, that was really disappointing because the Matrix movies are probably the last big-budget action movies that have amazing, extended fight scenes.

6. I didn't get or fancy new Morpheus at all. If the original Morpheus was dead then they should have left it at that. New Smith was OK but ultimately no one could play that role like Hugo Weaving. Although, seeing the Merovingian (albeit looking like a messed up hobo) again put a smile on my face. Neil Patrick Harris has great as the "analyst".

7. Neo and Trinity are "the ones" now. I think that's actually a cool development.

8. The beginning of the movie was far, far, far, far too meta and was trying too hard to be funny. I could have done with about 20 minutes of the opening cut out from the film.

9. The supporting cast in this movie didn't stick out at all. Jessica Hemwick's character was the only one written like a real character, the rest were just...there.

All in all, I can't say I really enjoyed it very much. I'll give it a 5.5/10. It's not terrible but it's not great. It's definitely a watch on HBO Max kind of movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this movie, it seems under and overproduced at the same time.

There's something that I will say though, movies like the original "The Matrix" aren't made anymore. Specifically, mid-budget, semi-experimental, "trippy" action, sci-fi, and horror movies seemed to have died out some years ago, that could be partially due to guys like Joel Silver (who was instrumental in the original Matrix movies being made at all) and the Weinsteins no longer being active in the industry anymore. Hence, I wasn't expecting something close to the original movie, which made the choices in the new movie all the more puzzling.

My thoughts,

1. Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann-Moss slipped back into their roles seamlessly. I was never a big fan of the Neo and Trinity romance but I actually liked the way it was depicted in this movie.

2. The new movie suffers from "The Force Awakens" syndrome, Matrix Resurrections is basically a remake of the first movie. The movie literally showed clips from the original movie and had scenes from it "projected on a big screen". WTF?!! In addition, the movie recreated a TON of scenes and sequences from the first movie and somehow it didn't look as good as it did in 1999! It totally lacked the long action takes and grittiness of the original movie. Just like TFA, the movie basically went back to the end of the Matrix Revolutions to restore everything back to the status quo at the beginning of the original Matrix. It just came across as unimaginative and poorly done.

3. The movie looked a little too shiny and the absence of the green filter made the movie look almost like a direct-to-video action movie.

4. The movie had waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much exposition.

5. The action sequences weren't creative or inventive at all which is something ALL the previous Matrix movies had. On a personal level, that was really disappointing because the Matrix movies are probably the last big-budget action movies that have amazing, extended fight scenes.

6. I didn't get or fancy new Morpheus at all. If the original Morpheus was dead then they should have left it at that. New Smith was OK but ultimately no one could play that role like Hugo Weaving. Although, seeing the Merovingian (albeit looking like a messed up hobo) again put a smile on my face. Neil Patrick Harris has great as the "analyst".

7. Neo and Trinity are "the ones" now. I think that's actually a cool development.

8. The beginning of the movie was far, far, far, far too meta and was trying too hard to be funny. I could have done with about 20 minutes of the opening cut out from the film.

9. The supporting cast in this movie didn't stick out at all. Jessica Hemwick's character was the only one written like a real character, the rest were just...there.

All in all, I can't say I really enjoyed it very much. I'll give it a 5.5/10. It's not terrible but it's not great. It's definitely a watch on HBO Max kind of movie.
    Did they get any of the Stunt people back?I think the Guy behind The John wick films was keanus stunt guy and legendary Yeun Woo Ping was the choreographer. Curious who they worked with on this film

I feel like a third of this movie was really Lana's vision and the rest was studio interference.

I would really like to see the Wachowski Cut of this film.

#ReleaseTheWachowskiCut

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Did they get any of the Stunt people back?I think the Guy behind The John wick films was keanus stunt guy and legendary Yeun Woo Ping was the choreographer. Curious who they worked with on this film
    I’m really curious too because the fight scenes in this weren’t outstanding.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    I feel like a third of this movie was really Lana's vision and the rest was studio interference.

#ReleaseTheWachowskiCut
    I think the absence of Lily Wachowski really affected the movie.

It didn’t feel like the movie had a complete vision.

There’s a lot of stuff that needed to be streamlined or cut out of the movie altogether.

I know right! I said that in the non-spoiler thread. In retrospect, Awakened Trinity's brief fight scenes were good, but everyone's else was meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post

#ReleaseTheWachowskiCut
    I'm not sure how true that is...if it was mainly a studio product I don't think Lana nor Keanu would have been interested.

The problem like everyone is mentioning is Lily's absence. The two siblings apparently balanced the other out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I know right! I said that in the non-spoiler thread. In retrospect, Awakened Trinity's brief fight scenes were good, but everyone's else was meh.
    Exactly.

There were only glimpses during the Neo and New Smith fight.

That should have been the highlight but it was rather short and choppy.

Exactly.

There were only glimpses during the Neo and New Smith fight.

That should have been the highlight but it was rather short and choppy.
    I did like the Force Pushes (folks in the other thread was calling it Air Bending? I need to see that series one day lol). If that's a compromise for fighting since Keanu is 57 now, fine, show more of that. The chase scene at the end at least had a lot of that and I loved it.

Astonishing Member

I kept waiting for the unique "new fight scene" for this generation. I mean it just didn't happen at all. It was all generic action.

As I was watching though I LOVED all the out-LGBT actors that were cast here. And so much of the Sense8 cast.

New Morpheus should force Disney to audition for Tchalla recast. He kept giving me new Black panther vibes

8. The beginning of the movie was far, far, far, far too meta
    Having a character basically look at the screen and say, "Warner Bros. wanted to crank out another sequel, so here we are lol" should have been my cue to turn off the TV and do something else.

2+ hours of meta commentary and callbacks. It felt like a clip-show, just constantly reminding (and showing you) what happened in earlier movies . Reloaded and Revolutions at least had some cool, creative action scenes but Resurrections didn't even have that. In fact, it barely had any action at all.

Let's talk about that a second.

I knew going into this that they simply didn't ask Laurence Fishburne to return. He won't reveal if he would have been game or not, he just says ask Lana cause she didn't ask me.

Ok, and when I'm watching the movie, and they reveal its 60 years after the events of Revolutions, I'm saying to myself, ok makes sense, he would have been dead by then anyway.

Then NIOBE shows up on the screen. 60 years older.

Could the movie have worked with an older Morpheus like it did with an older Niobe?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I kept waiting for the unique "new fight scene" for this generation. I mean it just didn't happen at all. It was all generic action.

As I was watching though I LOVED all the out-LGBT actors that were cast here. And so much of the Sense8 cast.

New Morpheus should force Disney to audition for Tchalla recast. He kept giving me new Black panther vibes
    Agreed with everything here.

The only challenge could be that Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is playing Black Manta and he has a ton of stuff coming up. He could have serious scheduling issues. Although, I’d imagine if he gets offered the BP role, he’d leave the other stuff he’s doing.

Astonishing Member

I liked it in general. At least I respect Wachowski for not running away from making a direct sequel to the divisive Revolutions (even if it might turn out to be commercial suicide) and show what happened afterwards, I liked the real world scenes here more than the other movies.

Hearing beforehand this movie wasn't even trying to reinvent its own action wheel, I still thought it was cool when during the chase scene the Matrix becomes a zombie apocalypse.

Neil Patrick Harris was cool.

I like it on those terms as well. Instead of leaving "what happened after Revolutions" to theory (or fan-fiction), we now know.