Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Terrific. The first part of the film is essentially a spoof of the idea of making another Matrix sequel (shades of Gremlins 2) that then segues into something new and different. The outrageousness of the final setpiece had me cackling with laughter.

It's like Lana Wachowski spent two decades thinking that, as cool as Neo is maybe Trinity is even cooler? After this film, gotta say I agree!

Mighty Member

Great movie. I loved that hive maneuver where the machines can possess other people in the Matrix.
    Last edited by tabo61; 12-23-2021 at 11:14 PM.

Not what I hoped it would be but still a decent movie.

After the last movie, the machines went to war. Some wanted the way things used to be while others wanted to follow the peace treaty that Neo brokered. The latter faction won, and re-established the Matrix but they tried to make sure that Neo and Trinity were less likely to be freed. So essentially both of them were given completely new identities so they would be hard to find and awaken. The first Matrix Trilogy in this world was a game that Neo designed at his job, so that if he had memories of it he would just attribute it to his memories of the game. And Trinity was married with kids. Neil Patrick Harris, who was the equivalent of the Architect, was Neo's shrink so he could keep very close tabs on him. Clever stuff.

Keanu and Carrie were great. The new cast was great. NPH as the Architect pretty much stole the movie every time he was on screen, the man chewed the scenery easily as good or better than Hugo Weaving in the original trilogy. The Merovingian appears and is the same actor but he is basically a hobo now due to being on the losing side of the machine war, lol.

But a big overall problem with the movie was that it felt too easy for the main characters - the victory at the end did not seem earned at all, the cast just kind of cakewalked to it. Also allegedly Neo and Trinity's real-life bodies in their tubes were super-important to secure but it was ridiculously easy for the people to free them. Nary a sentinel disturbed the process. Plus at times the movie just dragged due to the exposition or pointless sequences of people just running through doors endlessly or pewpewing endless cannon fodder. Nevertheless the end took the story to a new place and the new status quo is interesting:

1) Neo and Trinity are vital to the stability of the Matrix
    2) Neo and Trinity are also what can doom each iteration of the Matrix
    3) Neo and Trinity are making the next version of the Matrix, it seems, even though the Architect is still there

Seems like there are going to be follow-up movies.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 12-24-2021 at 01:05 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Let's talk about that a second.

I knew going into this that they simply didn't ask Laurence Fishburne to return. He won't reveal if he would have been game or not, he just says ask Lana cause she didn't ask me.

Ok, and when I'm watching the movie, and they reveal its 60 years after the events of Revolutions, I'm saying to myself, ok makes sense, he would have been dead by then anyway.

Then NIOBE shows up on the screen. 60 years older.

Could the movie have worked with an older Morpheus like it did with an older Niobe?
    The Matrix Resurrection Stars Talk Fishburne & Weaving's Absence.

Again, they didn't even ask Fishburne, but what is curious the only reason we didn't see Weaving was due to a scheduling conflict.

Moss (Trinity) on both not being there: "It's hard not to think about them because they're so much a part of it. I love both of them, and they're both so talented and such great people. But, there's an evolution that happened for Lana with the story, and we're here serving that, you know?"

I loved the meta first hour. I thought the movie commenting on itself and the reaction to it was both funny and on point. The rest was more straight forward as we found out what happened after Revolutions. But it was sufficiently engaging and the action done well enough to keep me. The Neo / Trinity chemistry clicked and NPH did a nice villain turn.
    No, there wasn't any "never seen before" action scene. But I am not sure we can fault it for that.
    I give it a 7 or 8 out of 10.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

The Matrix Resurrection Stars Talk Fishburne & Weaving's Absence.

Again, they didn't even ask Fishburne, but what is curious the only reason we didn't see Weaving was due to a scheduling conflict.

Moss (Trinity) on both not being there: "It's hard not to think about them because they're so much a part of it. I love both of them, and they're both so talented and such great people. But, there's an evolution that happened for Lana with the story, and we're here serving that, you know?"
    Weaving was still a good enough villain in Mortal Engines.

What was the age difference between Morpheus and Niobe in the original trilogy?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    What was the age difference between Morpheus and Niobe in the original trilogy?
    The actors are 10 years apart.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I would like to see an Animatrix 2 that will fill in the 60-year gap between Matrix 3 and 4.

Small world: Trinity's, or rather Tiffany's, husband is played by John Wick (and it's sequels) director Chad Stahelski, who was also Keanu Reeve's stunt double in the previous Matrix movies. That's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    As I was watching though I LOVED all the out-LGBT actors that were cast here. And so much of the Sense8 cast.
    I found myself pleasantly a little emotional seeing several Sense8 actors reuniting here. And I'm pretty sure the movie marquee said that the movie starred Lito Rodriguez, another Sense8 character.

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed it.

To be honest, I've only watched the original Matrix before this, well over a decade ago. Haven't seen the sequels, though it didn't stop me from understanding the set-up for this film. It's pretty accessible to anyone who's only watched the first one IMO.

I loved the meta-commentary on sequels/reboots/franchising. Honestly, without it, this film is basically just another decent quasi-remake ala The Force Awakens, Jurassic World or Terminator Dark Fate. But all the commentary, from the pitch meeting, to people literally fanboying on Neo and Smith, to the visuals from the original film juxtaposed against parallel moments in this one, to the whole ''White Rabbit'' sequence (and especially the visual of Thomas Anderson on a treadmill) all really elevated the film to something which can at least make a modest but serious contribution to contemporary discource. I suppose once the first film tackled something as profound as the idea that reality could be manufactured to control us, exploring the cynicism behind endless franchise expansion and nostalgia baiting may well be the only potentially profound thing left for the new film to say.

I'm not sure how I felt about this movie. I feel like there are ideas- concepts- here that I liked and I wanted explored, but I don't quite think they nailed the execution.

The fight scenes never really hit me like the original scenes did. I never felt the stakes of the fights, and I never even felt like any of the main characters were in danger. Even during the zombie apocalypse at the end, I wasn't worried that the two trapped in the car would die. During the Neo/Smith fight, I never got excited like I did in their previous encounters. Maybe it was because it wasn't Hugo Weaving. I can't believe it's because Keanu is older, because he is still doing exciting fight scenes in the John Wick movies.

The meta portion of the movie did blow my mind, but probably not in the way that they were expecting. Instead it was "I can't believe Warner Brother's greenlit this." because of how blatantly they were being mocked. I did find the focus group meetings amusing (and really laughed at the post-credits scene).

I think the Merovingian is even funnier with subtitles, because he somehow makes even less sense when you can read what he is saying.

I wasn't sure if they were keeping the online videogame in continuity- I know that Morpheus dies in that game, but I can't remember if he was assassinated or if he went crazy and became a suicide bomber. I do like how they made a new Morpheus, though. That actor and Neil Patrick Harris were the two actors who looked like they were having the most fun.

That was one of those ideas I liked- humans and machines were now working together. If there are sequels, I'd like that explored more. I also noticed that the hovercrafts were different designs, and that Bugs' hovercraft had a tail that reminded me of the Sentinels.

A big point of confusion for me- what the hell happed to Zion? I was listening to Naobi's speech, but I couldn't understand it. I heard the Machines went to war with each other, but I never heard what happened to Zion.

I liked Io, but I wish I knew if they were still at risk of being attacked. It sounded like some machines kept coming after humanity.

NPH was a joy in this movie- I really enjoyed his Analyst.

Neo and Trinity almost felt like they used to- except Neo felt lazy. Trinity really got into her fights, but Neo seemed to rely mostly on telekinesis.

I'll probably watch this again, but this one wont be one I'm eager to go back to.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I wasn't sure if they were keeping the online videogame in continuity
    They're not. This movie effectively wipes out anything that happened in The Matrix Online. However, I think Enter the Matrix is still in continuity.

I know that Morpheus dies in that game, but I can't remember if he was assassinated or if he went crazy and became a suicide bomber.
    He was assassinated because he essentially became a terrorist. The machines refused to give him Neo's corpse, and in retaliation he would place "code bombs" at monuments that would show Matrix code, making blue pills who suddenly saw that question reality if not go mad, destabilizing the Matrix. Instead of caving to his demands, someone named The Assassin killed him. He may or may not have been sent by the machines themselves, which I think was one of the game's first missions in fact, "Who Sent The Assassin?"

A big point of confusion for me- what the hell happed to Zion? I was listening to Naobi's speech, but I couldn't understand it. I heard the Machines went to war with each other, but I never heard what happened to Zion.
    They were very vague about it, other than talking about Zion with...disdain.

The machines were fighting each other over resources, Niobe got word from the Oracle that a "new power was rising" (this "new power" turned out to be The Analyst), Niobe never hears from the Oracle again (cause she got purged once the Analyst deleted the current iteration of the Matrix to upload his own). Niobe took this "new power" to mean the truce is in danger, Morpheus was like "nah what Neo did will always be", she leaves, he stays.

If the Analyst had it destroyed someone would have said so, especially the Analyst himself. I have no choice but to read it as Niobe left Morpheus and the others who thought like him to their own devices and they eventually died out. And she blames their deaths not on the machines but their own stubborn adherence to dogma, hence the disdain. Remember she said Zion was "stuck in a Matrix of its own".

They're not. This movie effectively wipes out anything that happened in The Matrix Online. However, I think Enter the Matrix is still in continuity.

He was assassinated because he essentially became a terrorist. The machines refused to give him Neo's corpse, and in retaliation he would place "code bombs" at monuments that would show Matrix code, making blue pills who suddenly saw that question reality if not go mad, destabilizing the Matrix. Instead of caving to his demands, someone named The Assassin killed him. He may or may not have been sent by the machines themselves, which I think was one of the game's first missions in fact, "Who Sent The Assassin?"

They were very vague about it, other than talking about Zion with...disdain.

The machines were fighting each other over resources, Niobe got word from the Oracle that a "new power was rising" (this "new power" turned out to be The Analyst), Niobe never hears from the Oracle again (cause she got purged once the Analyst deleted the current iteration of the Matrix to upload his own). Niobe took this "new power" to mean the truce is in danger, Morpheus was like "nah what Neo did will always be", she leaves, he stays.

If the Analyst had it destroyed someone would have said so, especially the Analyst himself. I have no choice but to read it as Niobe left Morpheus and the others who thought like him to their own devices and they eventually died out. And she blames their deaths not on the machines but their own stubborn adherence to dogma, hence the disdain. Remember she said Zion was "stuck in a Matrix of its own".
    But then why put up a monument to Morpheus?

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    But then why put up a monument to Morpheus?
    Because he was still Morpheus regardless of how things turned out. He's a part of their history. Plus the disdain I keep mentioning, notice it only came from Niobe, we never got anyone else who mirrored her view point. She's not wrong per se, but her offering it so freely could be her still grieving, and also why she "let" Neo escape to go after Trinity.