Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Overlooked or Unexplored Feats

Let’s have some fun! What are some feats your favorite characters can accomplish that have gone overlooked or unexplored?

This applies to most powerful telekinetics, but Jean can cause strokes, heart attacks, and pneumothoraces and stop someone’s heart and blood flow from reaching their brain. She could potentially blind someone by telekinetically rupturing their pupils. Based on her feat in Planet Size X-Men—achieving/surpassing escape velocity from Mars (11,200+ mph)—theoretically, Jean could create faux tornadoes or cyclones by manipulating the air with circular telekinetic force at very high speeds. Finally, as shown in X-Force, she can atomize, i.e., disintegrate organisms.

Telepathically, she can shut down someone’s brain and instantly kill them, as she did to MeMe. I believe she can do this even to those characters immune to telepathic intrusion because I don’t believe shutting a mind down to the degree necessary to cause death requires probing or intrusion of the mind as much as extreme pressure exerted against the mind. She can also telepathically affect, communicate with, and control most animals, maybe even insects.

I’ll keep adding potential and accomplished feats as they come to mind. So much unexplored potential!

Now, it’s your turn!

I always found Mystique's ability to cha-cha-slide her organs around was a very neat trick that should theoretically allow her to ignore even the most fatal blows.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Definitely, my choice would be Gambit's powers of persuasion (XD)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    I always found Mystique's ability to cha-cha-slide her organs around was a very neat trick that should theoretically allow her to ignore even the most fatal blows.
    Technically yes, although you could kill with a large enough blow that completely destabilized her structure/shattered skeleton. Or blood loss from multiple wounds would eventually do the trick. Honestly Mystique’s Shapeshifting overall is very neat as they decided to bypass a lot of the usual shapeshifter restrictions in fiction. She has no issues with mass, she has fully biological control so she’s technically immune from aging, she can produce inorganic which is typically a shapeshifter no-no. Huh, when you think about she could possibly pull a similar thing to Yaoyoruzu in My Hero Academia and produce objects.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    Mystique should theoretically be able to produce a bone blade from her forearm, and use it to stab someone, then retract / absorb it so fast that nobody knows how the dude got stabbed, only that it couldn't have been the little lady next to him in the teeny cocktail dress screaming. That would be way sneakier than her usual MO of going in guns blazing and seeming to ignore her actual super-power half the time.

If she's not the universal donor, or, even better, has a rare incompatible-with-most-folks-blood type, she could also create a bone syringe and inject someone with some of her own blood, so that they go into shock and (eventually) die from the compatibility reaction, and, again, make the bone syringe she manifested from her hand just disappear, so that she appears unarmed to any later search for 'who stabbed / poisoned that dude?' No weapons. No chemical traces of any toxins. Just some nice lady who was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Growing bone claws a la Wolverine would be gauche. There's already like, a bajillion of those running around.

Sliding under a door by folding her body slowly into a thin sheet, to get into or out of somewhere could also be a sneaky stunt, or deforming to squeeze through a drain pipe that not even a rat could normally fit through...

Astonishing Member

Blatant irrational Iceman stan rant forthcoming! LOL.

My greatest wish is for every writer who thinks the only thing worth exploring about Bobby's character is 'the untapped potential of his powers' to like....actually READ enough of his stories to know what is actually new territory for him. Versus a wheel that's literally been reinvented a dozen times by a dozen writers who each think they're the first to come up with a particular use of his powers. The most recent example of this was in Marauders #26, where Duggan clearly thought he was having Bobby do something new and impressive given the reactions every other character had to him growing to giant-size to fight Fin Fang Foom....except um:

Bobby first did that when Chuck Austen had him absorb a lake and grow to giant size to fight the Collective Man.

And AOA Bobby fought Remender's X-Force lineup as a giant multiple times.

And Sina Grace had Bobby create multiple giant golems the size of Sentinels to fight them.

And Marjorie Liu had Bobby grow big enough to dwarf skyscrapers.

Etc, etc, lol. Its just really frustrating that not only do writers constantly reduce Bobby's character down to just being all about his powers and his untapped potential, but the only reason he never moves PAST that is because none of them bother to notice that writers before them had the exact same idea and have already had him explore the exact same feats they now 'invent' for him!

Like X-writers, please understand......Bobby's been able to come back from being shattered, blown up, or otherwise destroyed in either ice form OR flesh and blood form since before Mike Carey made that a fairly regular feature of his power usage back in his X-Men run ten years ago. The Draco is the first time he built a new body from scratch and he's been coming back from having holes blown through the center of his body since Onslaught. Its not new.

Writers have LONG-since established or explored the idea that he can teleport by stepping into any body of water like the ocean or even just sublimating into water vapor and recreating his body (and those of anyone he teleports with him) from moisture elsewhere like....going back to when Emma hijacked his body and did it in the early nineties. His alternate self did it regularly to transport the whole team in the original Age of Apocalypse, he did it in the X-Men Forever mini that established him and Jean as omegas, and Liu did it in the Dark Iceman arc. Its not new.

He's been making golems of all sizes and shapes for over five years now. Not new. Sina Grace and even Bendis with Battle for the Atom established that they're not always mindless, that he can actually put his consciousness in a second golem body even while remaining in his main one. Claremont's had him freezing the air so cold it basically acts as liquid nitrogen and flash freezes any attack sent his way so bullets and metal shards literally just shatter under their own weight. Austen had him kill someone in the Brimstone dimension by yanking all the moisture out of her body and using it to build his new body. All the way back in Uncanny #300 he was adding mass and spikes to his ice form to go toe to toe with Frenzy and taking out Acolytes by literally just forming vehicle sized chunks of ice way up in the air and dropping them to take out super durable enemies on the ground. Writers still occasionally act like fire is somehow a threat to him and can melt him despite his history of using the fact that his power isn't so much 'freeze things' as 'stop/take energy away' to prevent fire and plasma powered mutants like even SUNFIRE from activating their power at all. Fire and plasma can't melt him when he keeps the the energy of ambient molecules so low they never even get a chance to ignite. And there's like, a ton more because Bobby's powers are actually versatile as hell and every writer who thinks they're the first one to realize this simply never bothered to read some of his most key stories.

LOL. Sorry to be a stereotypical stan obsessed with their fave being the MOST POWERFUL BLAH BLAH BLAH, because tbh, as much as I like Bobby's powers, I reeeeeally hate that they're basically the only thing a lot of writers consider interesting about him, as it limits his characterization so so much. But its like, if you're going to make that the only thing you focus on at least do something NEW with it, instead of just repeating what a dozen people before you have already done. Its like this endless series of writers being like look! A new and shiny gift for Iceman fans! And its the same damn thing regifted over and over again with identical wrapping even lol. We're like yeah no, we've already seen this. We got this already.

And then the rest of the time, writers just treat his character as this guy who just makes ice slides and ice beams and basically resets his character back to basics because they think THAT'S all he's capable of, which is what usually gives the next writer that comes along the impression that they're the first one to try and grow him past that.

Anyway. That's my overlooked/unexplored feat for Iceman. Just all the ones that get reinvented every few years as though its the first time we're seeing him do something like grow to giant size or make a new body from scratch.

/rant
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 12-23-2021 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Blatant irrational Iceman stan rant forthcoming! LOL.

My greatest wish is for every writer who thinks the only thing worth exploring about Bobby's character is 'the untapped potential of his powers' to like....actually READ enough of his stories to know what is actually new territory for him. Versus a wheel that's literally been reinvented a dozen times by a dozen writers who each think they're the first to come up with a particular use of his powers. The most recent example of this was in Marauders #26, where Duggan clearly thought he was having Bobby do something new and impressive given the reactions every other character had to him growing to giant-size to fight Fin Fang Foom....except um:

Bobby first did that when Chuck Austen had him absorb a lake and grow to giant size to fight the Collective Man.

And AOA Bobby fought Remender's X-Force lineup as a giant multiple times.

And Sina Grace had Bobby create multiple giant golems the size of Sentinels to fight them.

And Marjorie Liu had Bobby grow big enough to dwarf skyscrapers.

Etc, etc, lol. Its just really frustrating that not only do writers constantly reduce Bobby's character down to just being all about his powers and his untapped potential, but the only reason he never moves PAST that is because none of them bother to notice that writers before them had the exact same idea and have already had him explore the exact same feats they now 'invent' for him!

Like X-writers, please understand......Bobby's been able to come back from being shattered, blown up, or otherwise destroyed in either ice form OR flesh and blood form since before Mike Carey made that a fairly regular feature of his power usage back in his X-Men run ten years ago. The Draco is the first time he built a new body from scratch and he's been coming back from having holes blown through the center of his body since Onslaught. Its not new.

Writers have LONG-since established or explored the idea that he can teleport by stepping into any body of water like the ocean or even just sublimating into water vapor and recreating his body (and those of anyone he teleports with him) from moisture elsewhere like....going back to when Emma hijacked his body and did it in the early nineties. His alternate self did it regularly to transport the whole team in the original Age of Apocalypse, he did it in the X-Men Forever mini that established him and Jean as omegas, and Liu did it in the Dark Iceman arc. Its not new.

He's been making golems of all sizes and shapes for over five years now. Not new. Sina Grace and even Bendis with Battle for the Atom established that they're not always mindless, that he can actually put his consciousness in a second golem body even while remaining in his main one. Claremont's had him freezing the air so cold it basically acts as liquid nitrogen and flash freezes any attack sent his way so bullets and metal shards literally just shatter under their own weight. Austen had him kill someone in the Brimstone dimension by yanking all the moisture out of her body and using it to build his new body. All the way back in Uncanny #300 he was adding mass and spikes to his ice form to go toe to toe with Frenzy and taking out Acolytes by literally just forming vehicle sized chunks of ice way up in the air and dropping them to take out super durable enemies on the ground. Writers still occasionally act like fire is somehow a threat to him and can melt him despite his history of using the fact that his power isn't so much 'freeze things' as 'stop/take energy away' to prevent fire and plasma powered mutants like even SUNFIRE from activating their power at all. Fire and plasma can't melt him when he keeps the the energy of ambient molecules so low they never even get a chance to ignite. And there's like, a ton more because Bobby's powers are actually versatile as hell and every writer who thinks they're the first one to realize this simply never bothered to read some of his most key stories.

LOL. Sorry to be a stereotypical stan obsessed with their fave being the MOST POWERFUL BLAH BLAH BLAH, because tbh, as much as I like Bobby's powers, I reeeeeally hate that they're basically the only thing a lot of writers consider interesting about him, as it limits his characterization so so much. But its like, if you're going to make that the only thing you focus on at least do something NEW with it, instead of just repeating what a dozen people before you have already done. Its like this endless series of writers being like look! A new and shiny gift for Iceman fans! And its the same damn thing regifted over and over again with identical wrapping even lol. We're like yeah no, we've already seen this. We got this already.

And then the rest of the time, writers just treat his character as this guy who just makes ice slides and ice beams and basically resets his character back to basics because they think THAT'S all he's capable of, which is what usually gives the next writer that comes along the impression that they're the first one to try and grow him past that.

Anyway. That's my overlooked/unexplored feat for Iceman. Just all the ones that get reinvented every few years as though its the first time we're seeing him do something like grow to giant size or make a new body from scratch.

/rant
    I love it ALL. You rant away as much as you want!

This is one of my favorite Bobby feats. Untouchable. Literally.

Storm carried the weight of air on mars and dropped it on people.

Air on earth is defined as- Air refers to the Earth's atmosphere, which is about 300 miles thick and weighs 5 quadrillion tons.

I wonder how heavy the air on mars was that Storm collapsed on them.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Storm carried the weight of air on mars and dropped it on people.

Air on earth is defined as- Air refers to the Earth's atmosphere, which is about 300 miles thick and weighs 5 quadrillion tons.

I wonder how heavy the air on mars was that Storm collapsed on them.
    Enough to kill frenzy that's for sure and that is saying something cause freenzy can tank basically almost anything hulk blows, atomic chainsaw that sliced through a singularity like hot knife through butter, super skrull punches, she hulk punches...etc. and storm was really holding back.

Extraordinary Member

This was a one-off that was forgotten, but it has been brought back thanks to Savage Avengers being a sequel to its story and getting it reprinted: Magik's mutant power to manipulate time itself.

magik time maipulation.jpg

Honorable mention to her psyshields which were so prominent and important in the Claremont era and have been completely ignored since she came back. No telepath, whatsoever, could read anything in her mind. Not Xavier, Not Emma. No one, not matter how hard they tried.

Meggan casually growing to the size of Galactus, a feat that was starting to make the world collapse since she draws energy from Mother Earth.

2D4DCA44-E1D1-48FA-9BB4-BEE7329BD887.jpg

Spectacular Member

Colossus being immune to magic.

Well he used to be.

Extraordinary Member

Uncanny X-Men #273...after the X-Tinction Agenda story line there is a scene where Wolverine and Gambit are fighting in the Danger Room and somehow the Lady Deathstrike simulation starts and attacks Wolverine and they close up on Gambit with one of his eyes doing a glowy thing...they never really said what happened there. Did he somehow cause it to happen with some power or just sneak in beforehand and preset the program to start for an advantage in the fight.

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Jubilee’s resistance to mental scans- early on, Jubilee was practically undetectable to scans and probes. I’m her first issue, Uncanny 244, Psylocke tries to locate her and is unsuccessful… even though Jubilee is right around the corner in the mall. When she makes it to the Australian Outback base… The X-Men fail to notice that Jubes is hiding out right under their noses- swiping food, clothing, and exploring the mansion. Some of the strongest telepathic minds are unable to detect that their is someone hiding among them.
    Jubilee was later undetectable to Donald Pierce and the Reavers, while she was trying to help Wolverine recover from being crucified by them. She was hiding out in ceiling panels, right above the Reavers, without them being able to locate her.

The last noticeable time Jubilee’s mental resistance was used was during Operation: Zero Tolerance. Bastion kidnapped Jubilee while she was in Generation X… in an attempt to gather intel on the X-Men. She was bound in a straight jacket and had a large helmet attached to her head in order to probe her mind. While Bastion attempted to locate info on the team, Jubilee was shown as highly resistant to his tactics. He then showed her a clip of Logan being tortured to the point of giving up… causing her to laugh hysterically, knowing that Wolverine would never give up and identified that it was a farce. Furious, Bastion again attempted to scan her mind. This backfired on Bastion, as Jubilee’s mental resistance kicked in, causing the probes to show Bastion’s memories instead.

While it may not be the most powerful ability… it would further help round out Jubilee’s skill set. She’s more offensive in nature- this would increase her use as a stealth-based hero when the need arises.

Incredible Member

1. Wolverine regenerated from a single drop of blood (adamantium included, I think).

2. Nightcrawler becomes "invisible" in the dark and Nighcrawler's teleportation having a physical strain on him and his passengers.

3. Havok got dropped in a star and got a super boost. Also consumed a living sun creature.

4. Gambit's persuasion ability. Writer probably thought it was too close to Starfox and ignored it existed at all.
    Last edited by raidensix; 12-23-2021 at 08:46 AM.