Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    One thing I came to learn over time is that if I'm looking for a reason to drop a title (new creative team, ending arc, etc) I've probably already lost interest without realizing it.

If I loved the book and had no interest in dropping it, it never would cross my mind as a potential cut in the first place.
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind. what about books you get and read it and sorta enjoyed but then you go online on forums trashing the book and they made valid points that said book is bad. you realized, "maybe they have a point" then again it depends, I know people in CBR forums trash Thor no matter who's on the book whether Aaron or Cates athough I genuine enjoyed it.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

One thing I came to learn over time is that if I'm looking for a reason to drop a title (new creative team, ending arc, etc) I've probably already lost interest without realizing it.

If I loved the book and had no interest in dropping it, it never would cross my mind as a potential cut in the first place.
    That's a real good point, in the past I've stuck on titles simply to complete it and was just begging for a relaunch so I could stop nowadays I could give a damn I will drop a title without a moments hesitation.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind. what about books you get and read it and sorta enjoyed but then you go online on forums trashing the book and they made valid points that said book is bad. you realized, "maybe they have a point" then again it depends, I know people in CBR forums trash Thor no matter who's on the book whether Aaron or Cates athough I genuine enjoyed it.
    If I'm enjoying a book, no one can convince me it's bad - not even my fellow CBR posters!

Where I sometimes have a problem is trying new books based on rave reviews, disliking them, but continuing to buy because I figure I must be missing something; I convince myself the next issue will be the one that clicks and makes me a fan! I've gotten better at not doing that too. My severely limited space has also limited that option.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    That's a real good point, in the past I've stuck on titles simply to complete it and was just begging for a relaunch so I could stop nowadays I could give a damn I will drop a title without a moments hesitation.
    If I know a book is being canceled, the completionist in me won't let me drop it, even if I'm not particularly enjoying it lol! I mean, if I love it that's a bummer, but if I don't I can't imagine only having #1-12 knowing that #15 was the final issue. I'll stick it out and sell off the whole set on eBay once the series ends.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Astonishing Member

I'm gonna follow your advice about dropping books whenever a storyline or arc ends reading from trade synopsis. I might drop Robin once the Lazarus Tournament arc ends since they might be changing artist I loved the artwork there. Im dropping Miles Morales and my jumping off point would be when Miles switch to his new costume which from I see around here, is not well-liked and I think the same as well. as much as I'm a fan of PAD Hulk run, I'm not that interested in the Maestro mini's and shouldn't feel obligated to buy those issues which as much as it builds the awesome Future Imperfect story, I don't think I'm that motivated to spend money on it. As much as I'm almost done with the Slott Amazing run getting the back issues, I don't think I should be in a rush to get the gaps or even start in Slott pre-big time BND especially since I'm not a really big fan of the BND era Spidey.

Spectacular Member

I have had a love/hate relationship with comics since DC rebooted Action Comics and Detective. I have gutted my 83 long box collection of both Marvel and DC because of it. I admit that I am buying out of habit moreso than enjoyment, and I am 4 plus years behind in reading most of my monthlies, an example being I have not read a single Hickmann X-book yet. I have them all, just have other things to distract me. Though I have to stipulate that in those 4 years, I got divorced, moved twice, and had my collection in storage for most of that time. I ought to stop. I’m wasting money on stories that are largely ‘been there, read that’. I enjoy the work of Ed Brubaker and his Image stuff. Hama’s GI JOE. I’d rather read my old Robin Dixon back issues than the current version though. I can’t bring myself to purchase the next Aquaman book, and I like the character. So while I’m still ‘in’, I’m pretty much out especially with the Big Two.Every year for the last 5, I think, ‘this is the year, end it..’ No current Captain America ongoing so far in 2022 is pushing me towards end it. My favorite character. I will be driving The Flash and Wonder Woman to their 800th issue as I believe all these books deserve their legacy numbering, but I’m old school I know, and that will be it for them. Marvel and their constant renumbering makes it easy. I’ve been at this hobby since 1974. Dont know what will fill the void. We’ll see…
    Last edited by Jely4me; 01-10-2022 at 09:28 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

For many years comics were the one thing cheering me up but to me they are a very passive thing and I started looking towards activities that made me interact with people more which sounds healthy. That would be my advice (take it with a grain of salt from someone who is still struggling). Do I really need all those Batman books even when I don't have the time to actually read them? I could be outside riding my bike or just get some writing done (always was a groupie of writers). It is an easy fix just buying something and the act of it is cheering you up. I stopped following characters but I still buy if I enjoy the writing and that's cutting loose a lot of titles. In general for my tastes there are few good writers at Marvel and DC while the art keeps getting better.

Astonishing Member

The thing is I still do really enjoy reading my weekly books and every once a while i go back to reading my back issues whenever I'm in the mood. Getting my weekly books and coming home to read which is something I take pleasure and joy in every week. its that I have to control my impulse, i dont have to get every book. my love for comics and reading manga chapters weekly is still there, athough I had become less into anime/manga and been following only the ones I really into like My hero, Kimetsu, black clover, and despite its flaws, Fairy tail and Eden zero(in comics version, I feel the same way with Aaron's writing with Avengers, something that is very flawed, reviewed bomb compare to other works but I still really enjoy reading)
    Last edited by Rzerox21xx; 01-11-2022 at 11:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

If I know a book is being canceled, the completionist in me won't let me drop it, even if I'm not particularly enjoying it lol! I mean, if I love it that's a bummer, but if I don't I can't imagine only having #1-12 knowing that #15 was the final issue. I'll stick it out and sell off the whole set on eBay once the series ends.
    I recently had this example apply to me.
    I was ready to drop Savage Avengers at #25. I then found out it was concluding at #28 anyway.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I recently had this example apply to me.
    I was ready to drop Savage Avengers at #25. I then found out it was concluding at #28 anyway.
    Exactly! I wouldn't have been able to sleep knowing there were only 3 orphaned issues floating around out there, preventing me from owning a full run...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Astonishing Member

So Update, I gone almost a month without spending online, i still face with expenses so I decided to sell my anime blu-rays, most of them, going to put them up on ebay, dropping books, probably gonna drop getting DC physical books altogether with Tynion final issue of Joker(1 less 5.99 book), with maybe Tom Taylor Nightwing, even if I'm tempted by DC hyping up Dark Crisis. outside of the Spider-titles and X-titles, not gonna add anymore Marvel books. I dropped Maestro despite being a fan of PAD Hulk because that story gone on too long, 3 mini-series is too much athough PAD new Fantastic Four book is a for sure. right now the goal is to lessen to spending a 20-30 dollar week, my manga intake decreases. sold my DR Stone manga collection due to losing interest. as much as the 2 Cap books coming is great, i'm not familar with the writers and it might be best to lessen 2 3.99 books. I'm already invested Percy Wolverine Ghost Rider, Kieron X-men, Al ewing Sword, athough im done with Tini x-books. Donny cates thor Im invested and his Hulk a guilty pleasure, too much of a fan of Aaron and his Avengers is improving. not sure on Zeb Amazing, I'll go til 900 but lets see where it goes especially regarding Peter relationship with MJ. gonna turn in my softcovers and dropped issues on my local comic store for cash, lets see. Have to live more responsibility.

So Update, I gone almost a month without spending online, i still face with expenses so I decided to sell my anime blu-rays, most of them, going to put them up on ebay, dropping books, probably gonna drop getting DC physical books altogether with Tynion final issue of Joker(1 less 5.99 book), with maybe Tom Taylor Nightwing, even if I'm tempted by DC hyping up Dark Crisis. outside of the Spider-titles and X-titles, not gonna add anymore Marvel books. I dropped Maestro despite being a fan of PAD Hulk because that story gone on too long, 3 mini-series is too much athough PAD new Fantastic Four book is a for sure. right now the goal is to lessen to spending a 20-30 dollar week, my manga intake decreases. sold my DR Stone manga collection due to losing interest. as much as the 2 Cap books coming is great, i'm not familar with the writers and it might be best to lessen 2 3.99 books. I'm already invested Percy Wolverine Ghost Rider, Kieron X-men, Al ewing Sword, athough im done with Tini x-books. Donny cates thor Im invested and his Hulk a guilty pleasure, too much of a fan of Aaron and his Avengers is improving. not sure on Zeb Amazing, I'll go til 900 but lets see where it goes especially regarding Peter relationship with MJ. gonna turn in my softcovers and dropped issues on my local comic store for cash, lets see. Have to live more responsibility.
    sounds like solid improvements.
    btw if you buy your monthly issues from the LCS you could try to turn in your softcovers for store credit instead of cash cause most places give more in store credit than cash, and just use that credit to pay for the floppies?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    sounds like solid improvements.
    btw if you buy your monthly issues from the LCS you could try to turn in your softcovers for store credit instead of cash cause most places give more in store credit than cash, and just use that credit to pay for the floppies?
    Actually the store I buy my comics and the store i turn in my softcovers are different and very far away, I live in Miami Dade and the store I turn in the stuff is Broward County. too far of a drive, my friends are taking me for my birthday. so I would follow that advice if they are one the same store but yeah. I have too much anxiety to drive that far away in a regular basis and im planning on taking advantage of my birthday to turn those books in on a store i can get more money on. But thank you for the advice I wish I could follow it but different store credits wont work on my nearby store.
    Last edited by Rzerox21xx; 02-09-2022 at 02:40 PM.

Actually the store I buy my comics and the store i turn in my softcovers are different and very far away, I live in Miami Dade and the store I turn in the stuff is Broward County. too far of a drive, my friends are taking me for my birthday. so I would follow that advice if they are one the same store but yeah. I have too much anxiety to drive that far away in a regular basis and im planning on taking advantage of my birthday to turn those books in on a store i can get more money on.
    gotcha! Hopefully you'll still get a decent amount back on them tho + a fun bday!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    gotcha! Hopefully you'll still get a decent amount back on them tho + a fun bday!
    Thank you, I'm gonna see how much I can make with my physical anime blu-rays too, tempation to see a announcement of a series and decided if the character, team, or writer/artist team make my money worth it, yeah its alot of mental gymnastics