Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Seems like I'm so tempted to get Mark Waid Dan Mora Batman Super World's Finest even though I said I dropping most of the DC titles and no new titles. Damnit, this is hard? lol its on my comic retailers pull list and i have till the end of the night to decide to reserve a copy. oops. I wasn't gonna get Sabretooth but then I heard nothing but good things about it and got the first issue and enjoyed it and its a 5 issue mini series. As much as I'm loving RAM V Venom, i'm not gonna get the companion Carnage series since not interested as Carnage as a main character. definitely not gonna the Forever one shot as it goes back to Cletus origin and theres a chance you see him carving up animals before moving to humans and that's triggering to me as a animal lover(especially cats)

Incredible Member

I'm 45 right now and with collecting comics for nearly thirty seven years I feel like I've got pretty much all the comics and collections I need, I'm nearly done with credit card debt but now I've car payments. A few years back because of space I gave away tons of comics to my LCS mostly junk from the 90's that I bought without thinking.

Right now I'm focusing on just saving money and buying just the necessities but on occasion I will buy the tpb that collects classic material. I realized had I never had such an expensive hobby I would have had lots of money in the bank.

Astonishing Member

My sick elderly cat Felicia that I was struggling with vet bills and taking care of her? Had to say goodbye to her, she got worse and well took her to the vet and the decision was made to euthanize, I hug her as she get her shot. well I gave her a good life since 2012. I still got about 6 cats and my mom/sister 2 dogs. still got to live responsibly and save while I can, been almost a month since I made a order on ebay, mercari, or anything besides printer ink carts so I can start putting anime blu-rays for sale and see how much I can make put on my savings. I still face temptation on adding a new title, or atleast drop a title to make up for the new title I want on my pull list. its not just that, also healthy habits, healthy eating, drinking water mostly, eating less fast food, and use my weights in the garage and exercise. I just turn 38 and as I get older, it will get harder so lifestyle changes have to be now. Thank you for your encouragement.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

So sorry about your cat. I only have one, but she's getting quite old herself (13), and I dread the day I have to say goodbye.

Glad to hear you're staying strong in your financial commitments though!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Well I been selling my anime, made some good money, but relapse and brought a 50 dollar ebay purchase, not too bad, but it happens during anxiety and stress and trying to get my mind off things like the Russia situation, the anxiety I wonder is what my parents felt during the Cold War. Another cat of my mind Katrina is having health problems and turn out to be worse and looks like its her time to go anytime soon from days, weeks or even months, lets see. I was going to drop DC completely but man that Chip Zdarsky Jorge Jimenez Batman announcement(admit one of the only good news I saw on twitter this morning with Ukraine) has my attention. well I guess ill balanced it by seeing what books I can get by without. I did make good money on the longbox of softcovers and floppies, but yeah, need to step up despite the mental health problems, and yeah. Its not just money, its my health, I gotta stop drinking soda constantly punishing my kidney and eating junk food, have to go back to exercising and weight lifting, I used to be in great shape in the early 00s, and I allow myself to get obese, and also make new personal friends that would influenced me and are not assholes(some of them are pretty terrible trump-loving people that belittle my disability and mental health even if I been friends with them since high school)

Astonishing Member

Had to put down 2nd cat this week, my Katrina the other sick one. I gave them good lives, I'll take comfort in that. I'm going to try to be more responsible with my surviving cats. first step getting flea meds which I just gave to my indoor. things in Europe getting scary that its getting to my mental health. I wish I have half the courage of the Ukrainians that are fighting. as much as I'm tempted to live for the moment if things seem fleeting and buy as much as I want of comics and stuff, I shouldn't give up hope and live long term. I mean comon, my parents lived through the heights of the Cold War. those were scary times. Sorry to open up about my personal stuff here. I'm taking advice for getting out of my bad spending habits, but also I need to get into healthier eating habits like eliminating Soda(to the point I could be punishing my kidneys), drinking Water, not eating cheap fast food all the time. I just turn 38 and it will get harder when I get older, so I can do this. Save money, Eat healthy, get into a form of exercise, try not to let Depression and Anxiety get to me that it prevent from doing what needs to be done. Get new positive friends, Be a better person. Believe me, I wasn't that good of a person, even as a comic collector, I did used to buy into that comicgate bs that complains about diversity and sjw. Thank God I grew up, end up loving the comics those youtuber grifters complain about. I read through All New Wolverine as it came out and recently a 2nd time in Omnibus form. lol.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Had to put down 2nd cat this week, my Katrina the other sick one. I gave them good lives, I'll take comfort in that. I'm going to try to be more responsible with my surviving cats. first step getting flea meds which I just gave to my indoor. things in Europe getting scary that its getting to my mental health. I wish I have half the courage of the Ukrainians that are fighting. as much as I'm tempted to live for the moment if things seem fleeting and buy as much as I want of comics and stuff, I shouldn't give up hope and live long term. I mean comon, my parents lived through the heights of the Cold War. those were scary times. Sorry to open up about my personal stuff here. I'm taking advice for getting out of my bad spending habits, but also I need to get into healthier eating habits like eliminating Soda(to the point I could be punishing my kidneys), drinking Water, not eating cheap fast food all the time. I just turn 38 and it will get harder when I get older, so I can do this. Save money, Eat healthy, get into a form of exercise, try not to let Depression and Anxiety get to me that it prevent from doing what needs to be done. Get new positive friends, Be a better person. Believe me, I wasn't that good of a person, even as a comic collector, I did used to buy into that comicgate bs that complains about diversity and sjw. Thank God I grew up, end up loving the comics those youtuber grifters complain about. I read through All New Wolverine as it came out and recently a 2nd time in Omnibus form. lol.
    Sorry to hear about your cat my guy.

Aw man, sorry about the cats!

Dunno if I mentioned anything like this before but you could try to channel your energies into health stuff instead of comics.
    What I mean is, for example, I tend to hyperfocus on stuff and for a long time it used to be comics. Then one day I had enough and diverted my attention into doing my flat up, so instead of buying books I was buying stuff for the place, even if it was just cleaning supplies etc.
    So you could do the same thing with researching healthy meals, making some fun green smoothies. Instead of buying a buncha books, do a grocery run and try to make it as fun as possible (looking up new recipes and getting stuff for it).
    It's not a perfect solution but it helped me personally. (That said I still eat a lot of junk food but it got me out of a really bad streak when I spent all my money on comics and only bought other stuff when I really needed it). It's basically just treating the symptoms instead of the core of the problem but it could help.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Aw man, sorry about the cats!

Dunno if I mentioned anything like this before but you could try to channel your energies into health stuff instead of comics.
    What I mean is, for example, I tend to hyperfocus on stuff and for a long time it used to be comics. Then one day I had enough and diverted my attention into doing my flat up, so instead of buying books I was buying stuff for the place, even if it was just cleaning supplies etc.
    So you could do the same thing with researching healthy meals, making some fun green smoothies. Instead of buying a buncha books, do a grocery run and try to make it as fun as possible (looking up new recipes and getting stuff for it).
    It's not a perfect solution but it helped me personally. (That said I still eat a lot of junk food but it got me out of a really bad streak when I spent all my money on comics and only bought other stuff when I really needed it). It's basically just treating the symptoms instead of the core of the problem but it could help.
    I understand where you coming from and what you mean, however, I think some of your advice would be great to follow but I don't think I can quit on comics completely. Believe me that for the sake of my mental health, I get super excited going to the shop and pick up my books every Wednesday which I considered one of the highlight of my weeks. I love it, however there should be a balance. I can't overspend. I think a 20 to 30 dollar week would be healthy and not to surpass it when things get tough. I definitely shouldn't be buying stacks of back issues from ebay, mercari or anything. I dropped physical anime media and decided to do streaming through Crunchyroll(used to be Funimation but they merged now). the same way I don't buy physical media of the MCU movies I loved which I just watched in Disney Plus, So I think in some form I would like to continue going to the shop, buying my weekly comics, going home and read them and then read about people reviews and opinions on the issues I read. I really need the escapism especially with the war, climate and economic hardships coming. what I need to do definitely is take in healthy habits. I actually spoke to my Therapist for the first time since the Pandemic through Whatsapp and it was good, I need to start my works out, quit soda and junk food, or work slowly on that, take steps. I still have my surviving healthy cats, my supportive parents. I actually edited my social media with apps where I don't see World news so often with the Russia Ukraine war for the sake of my mental health, I really don't want my heart to beat faster and faster when I read about possibilities on how much closer we are Putin using nukes. thats not a good sign for a overweight late 30s man like me who need to work on his health.

I understand where you coming from and what you mean, however, I think some of your advice would be great to follow but I don't think I can quit on comics completely. Believe me that for the sake of my mental health, I get super excited going to the shop and pick up my books every Wednesday which I considered one of the highlight of my weeks. I love it, however there should be a balance. I can't overspend. I think a 20 to 30 dollar week would be healthy and not to surpass it when things get tough. I definitely shouldn't be buying stacks of back issues from ebay, mercari or anything. I dropped physical anime media and decided to do streaming through Crunchyroll(used to be Funimation but they merged now). the same way I don't buy physical media of the MCU movies I loved which I just watched in Disney Plus, So I think in some form I would like to continue going to the shop, buying my weekly comics, going home and read them and then read about people reviews and opinions on the issues I read. I really need the escapism especially with the war, climate and economic hardships coming. what I need to do definitely is take in healthy habits. I actually spoke to my Therapist for the first time since the Pandemic through Whatsapp and it was good, I need to start my works out, quit soda and junk food, or work slowly on that, take steps. I still have my surviving healthy cats, my supportive parents. I actually edited my social media with apps where I don't see World news so often with the Russia Ukraine war for the sake of my mental health, I really don't want my heart to beat faster and faster when I read about possibilities on how much closer we are Putin using nukes. thats not a good sign for a overweight late 30s man like me who need to work on his health.
    nah I get it absolutely. We need our escapism. (btw I'm also a crunchy subscriber and was just thinking about getting Funimation when the merger happened)
    I'd like to add that I didn't completely quit comics when I was doing my flat up. I did stop for a few months then slowly eased myself back in (after I sold a chunk of my collection). and now I think I've hit a steady streak.
    The most books I bought was when I went to a trip to Edinburgh but that's just holiday spending and not what I do regularly (and I was buying the books I had on my wishlist if I found them in shops)

Astonishing Member

Well, I gave in to temptation. Sorry to disappoint. I was a in a trip in Seattle, and while there I jumped into the rabbit hole of collecting Walter Simonson Thor on floppies when I got a really good deal from a VF + Thor 337, first Beta Ray Bill and watching videos talking how great that run is and how it was the definitive 80s Marvel run alongside Claremont X-MEN and Roger Stern Amazing. I ended up getting most of the other Thor issues firsts like First TVA and Frog Thor. Sorry. I'm a good place right now, things calmed down but I can't let that be a excuse. I also got back in some books on my pull list out of a whim. I was going to drop DC completely but man Chip Zdarsky Batman coming soon and Nightwing by Taylor been so good. Athough reading about whats could be going on in the new volume of Amazing coming this week, I might as well use this as a excuse to drop this athough I already made the commitment with my retailer as he ordered me a copy of the first 2 issues when he put up the pull list, and well he ordered limited amount. I'm not going to tell him, nah i don't want it anymore after reading leaks. That will be Jerkish. I want to support my local LCS. I have started my committed to taking better care of myself in terms of eating, as I been trying to cut down candy, junk food, and working to get fast food out. I need to get in the habit on exercise, and not say I do it, just do it. Nostalgia is something I still wrestle with which leads me to buy things not to mention things in the news been giving me anxiety so I need escapism which I need to get under control. anyway, sorry to disappoint you about my relapse but picking myself up. Thanks, wish me luck

Astonishing Member

Well, I gave in to temptation. Sorry to disappoint. I was a in a trip in Seattle, and while there I jumped into the rabbit hole of collecting Walter Simonson Thor on floppies when I got a really good deal from a VF + Thor 337, first Beta Ray Bill and watching videos talking how great that run is and how it was the definitive 80s Marvel run alongside Claremont X-MEN and Roger Stern Amazing. I ended up getting most of the other Thor issues firsts like First TVA and Frog Thor. Sorry. I'm a good place right now, things calmed down but I can't let that be a excuse. I also got back in some books on my pull list out of a whim. I was going to drop DC completely but man Chip Zdarsky Batman coming soon and Nightwing by Taylor been so good. Athough reading about whats could be going on in the new volume of Amazing coming this week, I might as well use this as a excuse to drop this athough I already made the commitment with my retailer as he ordered me a copy of the first 2 issues when he put up the pull list, and well he ordered limited amount. I'm not going to tell him, nah i don't want it anymore after reading leaks. That will be Jerkish. I want to support my local LCS. I have started my committed to taking better care of myself in terms of eating, as I been trying to cut down candy, junk food, and working to get fast food out. I need to get in the habit on exercise, and not say I do it, just do it. Nostalgia is something I still wrestle with which leads me to buy things not to mention things in the news been giving me anxiety so I need escapism which I need to get under control. anyway, sorry to disappoint you about my relapse but picking myself up. Thanks, wish me luck
    I don't see anything bad in buying that Thor run for a good price. If you like it, and it gives you a good feeling to own it, why not? And a side effect is, the run will never get cheaper, so you will get at least your money back, when you want to sell it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I don't see anything bad in buying that Thor run for a good price. If you like it, and it gives you a good feeling to own it, why not? And a side effect is, the run will never get cheaper, so you will get at least your money back, when you want to sell it.
    Thanks I owned all of that, JMS run and Aaron's run. athough I can't go that rabbit hole of getting Jurgens or Gillens run. lol. Now in books I currently get in pull list, I need to cut down and I did brought the first Amazing issue since I committed to my retailer who order limited copies. I feel like the frustration and anger by fans are justified and how annoying Marvel keep playing with the fans like that, I enjoyed Wells Hellions and hoping to give it a shot but maybe it times I call it quits. Especially with Chip Zdarsky Batman coming in in July, but alas I'm a creature of habit, I didn't stop collecting Amazing during Slot run even though I like how Spencer run, Peter MJ felt like old friends I haven't seen in a while.

Astonishing Member

Well took my first step and turn in 3 longboxes of comics containing, whatever I can depart that i already own in Omnibus form(like Brubaker Cap). got 300 real cash from it on Tates comics in South FL. feel good, I think i may have another box to give for later not sure, I don't drive there, too far but yeah I also turn in a entire manga series that mostly been scratched up from my cat and got 130 store credit which would be useful I guess. I been trying to find excuses to drop certain titles that don't interest me as much which I get out of blue. I need to save. but yeah took the first step.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Good for you! I'm in the process of trimming my own collection, so I know it can be hard. I feel like I'm parting with my paper and ink children!

And $300 cash for 3 long boxes?! You must have had some high-grade key issues in there. My local shops would probably give me $50 cash or $75 store credit for that many books!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES