Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipitus View Post
    There is a post from the Colossus loving Bendis' account (looking for it, not sure what platform) in which he drew of the lamest/most hated X-Men that he sketched. He had Colossus as the most prominant member of his least favored X-Men. I will go back looking for it when I get out of work. If anyone else has it, or can find it, please do.

And Magik was not wracked with guilt about the whole Juggalossus thing. It was not even mentioned until that issue where Colossus was just randomly being his ol' climate change denier self and smashing trees for...reasons (sarcasm).

Until I find the "art" Bendis posted way back, I will admit Jason Aaron is a bigger Colossus hater than Bendis. And Jordan D. White is a bigger Colossus hater than both of them.

I envy them for getting into the comic industry, and give them props. But they all hate Colossus, and my favorite character in all fiction has suffered from it.
    all new x-men.jpg

All New X-Men issue 18. The same scene where Kitty phases when Illyana tried to hug her and she ends up rolling down the mountain. She's not constantly talking about it, but it's there, and it's presented as why Illyana doesn't seek Piotr out until Kitty says let's do it. She is still certain he won't forgive her even though she'd just met a future version of him who was overjoyed to see her. That's how badly she thinks she screwed up.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 02-02-2022 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    all new x-men.jpg

All New X-Men issue 18. The same scene where Kitty phases when Illyana tried to hug her and she ends up rolling down the mountain. She's not constantly talking about it, but it's there, and it's presented as why Illyana doesn't seek Piotr out until Kitty says let's do it. She is still certain he won't forgive her even though she'd just met a future version of him who was overjoyed to see her. That's how badly she thinks she screwed up.
    Yeah, he is given a line like "Da, little snowflake, no worries".

I will find that drawing by Bendis shortly.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Eh? White is on record about his hate for the character, so are Lobdell and Ellis. The common denominator with all 3 of them is that they have an unhealthy obsession with Kitty because they never grew out of their comic book crush. White hates Piotr because he broke up with Kitty in the 80s. Ellis because he wanted to bed her through his proxy Wisdom. Two of those creators also turned out to be creeps towards females. So yeah, in their cases we can absolutely say that they hate Colossus.
    Wow, I did not know about that. Thank for clarifying. I can't believe these sentences are absolute real.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Wow, I did not know about that. Thank for clarifying. I can't believe these sentences are absolute real.
    What sucks about it is, as has been shown in previous posts, oftentimes if a writer is working on a team book and does not like a character, the reader will not notice it. Sure, the spotlight may not be on said character that much. But there is not a glaring disdain from the writer that makes fans think "whoah, why is this character being such an a-hole, or goes crazy, or becomes a bad guy, etc."

Colossus is that character. Sure, more often than not, writers portray him with indifference and make him wallpaper, or the first character on the team to be taken out (jobbed) to show how dangerous the villian is, but they leave the moral integrity of Peter alone. However...

Scott Lobdell, Jason Aaron, Warren Ellis, Brian Michael Bendis, etc., and especially the current X-line editor Jordan D. White seem to have a bone to pick with Colossus. It shows with their work with the character. Even in the Ultimate line from 20 years ago (ugh, I am getting old).

Again, I cannot think of another character in all superhero comics where creators, and editors, had their say and showed how much they did not like the character. I mean, I guess Wally West from a few years ago, but even that eventually worked out. Not with Peter though.

Spectacular Member

What sucks about it is, as has been shown in previous posts, oftentimes if a writer is working on a team book and does not like a character, the reader will not notice it. Sure, the spotlight may not be on said character that much. But there is not a glaring disdain from the writer that makes fans think "whoah, why is this character being such an a-hole, or goes crazy, or becomes a bad guy, etc."

Colossus is that character. Sure, more often than not, writers portray him with indifference and make him wallpaper, or the first character on the team to be taken out (jobbed) to show how dangerous the villian is, but they leave the moral integrity of Peter alone. However...

Scott Lobdell, Jason Aaron, Warren Ellis, Brian Michael Bendis, etc., and especially the current X-line editor Jordan D. White seem to have a bone to pick with Colossus. It shows with their work with the character. Even in the Ultimate line from 20 years ago (ugh, I am getting old).

Again, I cannot think of another character in all superhero comics where creators, and editors, had their say and showed how much they did not like the character. I mean, I guess Wally West from a few years ago, but even that eventually worked out. Not with Peter though.
    Agreed.

Really pisses me off.

It’s like he’s in a 30 year long Clone Saga.

So… what is this supposed to be saying about bendis? I feel like I’m missing something, and perhaps I am. Did he draw this? Is this an actual book he wrote? Did he like the image somewhere?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    So… what is this supposed to be saying about bendis? I feel like I’m missing something, and perhaps I am. Did he draw this? Is this an actual book he wrote? Did he like the image somewhere?
    I think the joke was his idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    IIRC, this was Bendis' commentary (teamed up with Joe Quinones) on what a book's roster would look like if he listened to every rando on the internet about which characters he needed to add to increase sales.

It was from his Tumblr page. He said if he were to write a book about the most usless and lame X-Men, this would be it.

Extraordinary Member

That's 1 of a half-dozen gag covers that were part of the Marvel 75th Anniversary Celebration comic they released in 2014. In-between each story were 2 of these gag covers to 'the greatest Marvel comics never made.' This was also where the cover of everyone kissing with the blurb 'in this issue not event the pretense of a plot!' came from. Other covers included Squirrel Girl marrying Rocket Raccoon and a contest of champions of people blacked out because they weren't Marvel characters.

Just to clarify, how many writers have actually said they hate Colossus? Disliking their take is one thing - I've done my share of that - but putting a character through the ringer doesn't mean hating them. Joe Quesada is a Spider-Man fan and wrote the most infamous Spider-Man story of the 21st Century.

Extraordinary Member

I went into Bendis' tumblr page from 2014 when the 75th anniversary issue came out and all I could find were posts of him complaining about people asking about Colossus.

A writer can love a character and still write a horrible version of them. Guggenheim loved Kitty and Colossus but his Colossus was a creepy stalker and he turned many X-Men fans into Kitty Pryde haters because his writing was awful.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    IIRC, this was Bendis' commentary (teamed up with Joe Quinones) on what a book's roster would look like if he listened to every rando on the internet about which characters he needed to add to increase sales.
    Huh, I would have chosen Storm, Rogue, Emma and four different versions of Wolverine as the 'internet rando' team.

I mean, I rarely see someone agitating for more Colossus or Sage or whatever, and there's that one dude who likes Adam-X, but does Callisto or Forge or Spiral or Marrow really have that many internet fans?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I went into Bendis' tumblr page from 2014 when the 75th anniversary issue came out and all I could find were posts of him complaining about people asking about Colossus.

A writer can love a character and still write a horrible version of them. Guggenheim loved Kitty and Colossus but his Colossus was a creepy stalker and he turned many X-Men fans into Kitty Pryde haters because his writing was awful.
    Quite often, the worst writers of a character are his biggest fans- for example, Havok's worst writers in the last decade were Remender and Rosenberg, both big fans, because they decided to invest in the worst angle of the character- whiny little brother.