Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Default Anyone insured your collection?

I have a decent sized collection with some fairly good books in them and have been thinking about insuring the collection. Any of you out there in CBR-Land insured yours? Was it difficult, who did you go through?

Mine is insured. You can simply make it a rider on your policy. "I have a comic collection I've been collecting for over 20 years, I estimate the value to be X with Y number of comics." You pay a bit more every month. I did not need to document the comics or anything like that.
    Do I have a few key issues, sure. But I don't think I have any one comic worth over a few hundred dollars. I have a lot of dogs too, so overall, it balances.

Now, if you have Amazing Fantasy 15, worth a lot more. You most likely would need to document that specifically.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

If you had Amazing Fantasy #15 or Action Comics #1 you'd have to be crazy not to insure them. I checked at the Heritage Auction site and got a range of prices for Incredible Hulk #181 depending on the grade of the comic. One that was graded as 9.8 was sold for $84,000 and even one graded just 3.3 went for $3360. You could try doing a little research there of some of your collection. You just have to create an account there for logging in. I just use it to look things up and never dealt with them. But they do hold auctions on the site. For any comic in that category of importance you should pay for the grading process because it will help in getting the market value for it if you chose to sell. I don't know if the insurance company would charge you differently for insuring a collection of graded comics. I suppose some insurance agents wouldn't even know what you were talking about if you mentioned graded comic books. I've never gone through the trouble myself and my brother has all of the old comics that my Dad bought for us in the Silver Age.

There could be even some comics of recent vintage that could be valuable but I don't know which those would be. Comics are constantly getting relaunched these days.

BTW, has anyone else ever wondered just how a comic as old as Action #1 can have white pages when there was no such thing as bagging and boarding comics?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-27-2021 at 09:18 PM.

Unless you have a book worth over 10K I would not bother.

And I would avoid a private sale unless you meet with the interested party in person. I'd be leery of an exchange via mailing, etc. A good place to meet up might be at a comic book convention.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-29-2021 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Unless you have a book worth over 10K I would not bother.
    Considering that my collection has a greater value than my house, I think I might want to lol.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Considering that my collection has a greater value than my house, I think I might want to lol.
    Nice! Bravo on some nice acquistions.

Anything you'd care to brag about? Now's the time to put em up!

Nice! Bravo on some nice acquistions.

Anything you'd care to brag about? Now's the time to put em up!
    I have no interest in selling them right now, the point is to insure them in case of accident. However, after collecting for almost fifty years, I have quite a few nice books in my collection on top of picking up some signatures along the way (signed New Mutants 98 first appearance of Deadpool, signed New Teen titans 1, Wonder Woman 1, Uncanny X-Men 171 among others.)

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I have no interest in selling them right now, the point is to insure them in case of accident. However, after collecting for almost fifty years, I have quite a few nice books in my collection on top of picking up some signatures along the way (signed New Mutants 98 first appearance of Deadpool, signed New Teen titans 1, Wonder Woman 1, Uncanny X-Men 171 among others.)
    Oh yeah, never sell unless it's a necessity of course.

Those are some nice keys. Are they still raw or rated? Who signed the New TT #1?

Astonishing Member

My home insurance dropped me because I used it three times in the span of five years. Now I have to go with an insurance that's charging almost twice. What's the point of insurance if they don't want you to use it.

Oh yeah, never sell unless it's a necessity of course.

Those are some nice keys. Are they still raw or rated? Who signed the New TT #1?
    Both Marv and George. (I also have Uncanny X-Men 171 signed by Chris Claremont and Walt Simonson...the issue where Rogue comes to the X-Men for help.)

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    My home insurance dropped me because I used it three times in the span of five years. Now I have to go with an insurance that's charging almost twice. What's the point of insurance if they don't want you to use it.
    Exactly that. Having to pay out cuts into their profits...insurance companies are a for profit company and if they have to pay out to you, especially multiple times, you represent a risk to their profits therefore you are the liability.

That is cool that you have some signed pieces. I did get Stan Lee to sign a comic for me a few years before he passed away. He was at the Chicago C2E2 and they had this line where you had to pay and he's sign a comic for you. I could tell his health with failing him and his vision was pretty poor. He had to hold the comic real close to see it.

I also got Mike Mignola to sign my copy of the GN Triumph and Torment

I don't think these would draw that big of a price to need insuring though.

This is a rare one. I found this book in a local book store that sold new and some resale books. I found this book in a slipcover box called the Art of Jack Kirby. When I got it home, I saw that it was actually signed and numbered by the King himself! I only paid about $90 for it.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-11-2022 at 10:21 PM.

Wow, those are awesome. Only my Wonder Woman 1 is graded and slabbed. I really should get some of the others as well.

DragonCon 2019 was my first convention, so I have been relatively behind on signatures sadly.