View Poll Results: Would you support a JL with that lineup?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

30 69.77%
  • NO!

13 30.23%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

No. I have as much intrest in reading about an all-female League as I have in reading about an all-male League, which is, non at all. It's the mix of characters I enjoy.

Peace

I think it would be great, but have like 2 guys on the team. Black Lightning for sure. Also maybe Aquaman and Hawkman but in the passenger seat, while Mera and Shayera drive the plot.

But we would need a good set up for why these characters came together

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Laimbeer View Post
    I'm not really sure how to answer.

In and of itself, no. That's not something I'm looking for, in particular. However, if the comic was actually good, it wouldn't stop me from reading it. I like Sailor Moon and the Sailor Scouts are an all girl superhero group. I'm also somewhat fond of Totally Spies.

So, it would depend less on gimmick and more on content for me.
    Yeah the character list is fine.... it's just... why make an all-female team?

Needs a Bat. Batwoman would be my choice but I could see Oracle working well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    For me, it always depends on creative team but yeah, great line up... just needs some Big Barda. Honestly, though an all-anything Justice League would have an uphill battle gaining acceptance, I think, and not just being seen as a gimmick.
    My sentiments exactly. It's a good team and certainly worthy of a good JL story, but all female suggests (or actually screams) gimmick. The cast has a nice variety of personalities and powers. It provides the mix that makes team books work. But the creative team is of equal or greater importance to me.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

It would feel too gimmicky and exploitative to me. I also would have about as much interest in an all-female team as I would an all-male team, or an all-alien team, or any other sort of box-ticking formula.

One title that I really enjoyed in the mid-80s was New Mutants. It was mostly female members. Sunspot and Cannonball were the only two guys on the team.
    But attention wasn't brought to that. It's just sorta the way things developed. And folks were fine with it.
    The only box-ticking done with the book was that everyone needed to be from different cultures/locations of the world. Which was exactly the same approach they used for the New X-Men in 1975 and it made sense in the context of the story. Looking for mutants, you wouldn't just find five new mutants popping up in New York all at the same time. They'd be spread out. (Well, you probably would today.)

Not going to dis the idea, however, because we all have dream teams and ideas.
    I just wouldn't be interested in buying it.
    Unless it was something like Birds of Prey, which developed more naturally.
    But with that many members and being League-affiliated, it would need one long setup with a good reason why the women were being segregated away from everyone else.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It would feel too gimmicky and exploitative to me. I also would have about as much interest in an all-female team as I would an all-male team, or an all-alien team, or any other sort of box-ticking formula.

One title that I really enjoyed in the mid-80s was New Mutants. It was mostly female members. Sunspot and Cannonball were the only two guys on the team.
    But attention wasn't brought to that. It's just sorta the way things developed. And folks were fine with it.
    This. I would need a stronger hook than "look, it's all girls!", despite liking all of these characters. I can't afford to commit to any more books based on weak premises.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

No because I refuse to support gimmicks over just good storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah the character list is fine.... it's just... why make an all-female team?
    Perhaps we should ask ourselves "why *not* an all female team?"

I agree that such a thing *could* be gimmicky as hell. DC would probably make it that way. Or it could be a fantastic story where the roster simply happens to be women, much like many of our favorite classic stories had teams that just happened to be all men (or close to it). Or Ewing's Mighty Avengers, which was minority majority without feeling like it was pushing any particular agenda and was just bringing great characters together who happened to not be white.

That roster looks pretty badass; I can easily see a situation arising where these are the high powered, top end heroes who show up to save the day, and stick together as a group afterwards. Not because they're all women, but because they're competent and powerful professionals who get the job done. And I like everyone on that list, I'd read the hell out of this book...assuming the quality was there. I won't read a bad book for any reason, and I won't do it to support gender equality either; that's just pandering and not actually supporting equality.

But this team, with a halfway decent creative team, would be on my pull list immediately.

Just make it that; a quality book with a quality team. Don't make a point out of "girl power!" just tell a good story with great characters, and the fact that they're all women will be a distant, secondary consideration.

But sure, to avoid worries about this being some kind of gimmick, toss a dude or two in the mix. Not Batman, because DC writers wouldn't be able to resist making it Batman and his Harem. Make it someone else; Carter (Shayera is there, and I miss them being a two-for-one deal) or Wally (team needs a speedster) or Cyborg (who needs a good home).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Not my best work copy/paste wise, but this is a team I’d go w.

J’onn and Cyborg are the often overlooked seventh members of The Big Seven, and Green Arrow, well, I’d love to see how he’d mix w. so many female characters. Would he argue w. Hawkgirl the way he does w. Hawkman? And he’s usually the first to question the decisions of whoever’s in charge, which would be Black Canary in this case as I’d make her team leader w. J’onn as her SiC.

I dropped Vixen and Katana to keep the team at nine. Katana overlaps w. Black Canary and between Vixen and Jessica Cruz/Zatanna, Cruz has a more JLA feel and Zatanna has the magic covered.

Wonder Woman I dropped because I feel she’d overshadow the other female members, not in-story but in how fans would perceive things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I agree that such a thing *could* be gimmicky as hell. DC would probably make it that way. Or it could be a fantastic story where the roster simply happens to be women, much like many of our favorite classic stories had teams that just happened to be all men (or close to it). Or Ewing's Mighty Avengers, which was minority majority without feeling like it was pushing any particular agenda and was just bringing great characters together who happened to not be white.

That roster looks pretty badass; I can easily see a situation arising where these are the high powered, top end heroes who show up to save the day, and stick together as a group afterwards. Not because they're all women, but because they're competent and powerful professionals who get the job done. And I like everyone on that list, I'd read the hell out of this book...assuming the quality was there. I won't read a bad book for any reason, and I won't do it to support gender equality either; that's just pandering and not actually supporting equality.

But this team, with a halfway decent creative team, would be on my pull list immediately.

Just make it that; a quality book with a quality team. Don't make a point out of "girl power!" just tell a good story with great characters, and the fact that they're all women will be a distant, secondary consideration.

But sure, to avoid worries about this being some kind of gimmick, toss a dude or two in the mix. Not Batman, because DC writers wouldn't be able to resist making it Batman and his Harem. Make it someone else; Carter (Shayera is there, and I miss them being a two-for-one deal) or Wally (team needs a speedster) or Cyborg (who needs a good home).
    Heh, welll... you said it better than me,.... It works as a team setup... it's just, if there is no reason to make it all female.... then.... what in-universe reason is there?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    While I loved Birds of prey and hope we'll see them again, I can't think of a reason why we would need a female-only Justice league.
    Wouldn't it just be better if there were more female leads in the main JL?
    Depends on the story.

The "easy" way would be a story that would require only females-now in this case what on the planet Earth would require that versus something like we saw in animated Star Trek where women had to take over the Enterprise because of the planet they were visiting.

Or you just say SCREW it and do the store and let the usual suspects throw a fit. Who will probably be the ones who had ZERO issue the MANY teams that were nothing but straight white and male at various companies.

Eventually you get to the point and realize this fictional writing and trying to justify to some that POC and women can do stuff on their own including forming teams is NOT the end of the world.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Because it has to be justified for some.

Folks forget a version of Spider-Man was on Mighty Avengers while they were boycotting the book.

Nobody has to Justify Superman, Batman, Hal, Barry, Booster Gold, Ted Kord, Ollie and Aquaman did a book and it be Heroes in Crisis horrible-yet it will SELL.

And FYI for everybody something like this was done before over at Dynamite by a certain writer-Christopher Priest.

Sacred Six 12 issue series.

In fact Dynamite has been doing it for years with Vampi, Red Sonja, Sheena and other women of Dynamite. Minis or one shots.

Nobody threw a fit. So if that company can do it why should it be an issue for DC?

I think I'd prefer Power Girl with the JSA and Katana on a less large-scale team (like The Outsiders).

It was suggested using Big Barda, and she could be instead of Power Girl.
    Not sure who would be best in place of Katana. (Maybe Gypsy?)

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Depends on the story.

The "easy" way would be a story that would require only females-now in this case what on the planet Earth would require that versus something like we saw in animated Star Trek where women had to take over the Enterprise because of the planet they were visiting.

Or you just say SCREW it and do the store and let the usual suspects throw a fit. Who will probably be the ones who had ZERO issue the MANY teams that were nothing but straight white and male at various companies.

Eventually you get to the point and realize this fictional writing and trying to justify to some that POC and women can do stuff on their own including forming teams is NOT the end of the world.
    Only time I've seen someone make a female JL team work was in JL cartoon... and that team was WW, Hawkgirl and Hippolyta.... yes... WW's mother.... 'cause it was plot rooted in Themiscyra. Hmm.. might be able to come up with some sort of plot hook there.... but it still needs the question of why have a HQ on Themiscyra?