Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default The Human Target #3 Discussion/Spoilers

Aaaaannnnnddddd this is where King becomes King!

A new chapter has arrived where some of those so classic Tom King's bad tendencies start to appear, particularly the bad characterization. I saw this coming miles away because of how badly he portrayed Booster Gold in the past so the idea of him handling the Justice League International was a big red flag but believe it or not, this might be an even worse work than what he did with Booster.

Guy Gardner plays an important role in this issue and that "important role" is to be the toxic ex archetype. And when I say "toxic" I mean "EXTREMELY toxic", due that he's constantly picking up fights with Christopher for having a romance with Ice and constantly abusing his power as a Green Lantern to threaten the protagonist (So probably also representing bad cops). For anyone who is a fan of a character, this is a complete mess of a portrayal due that yes, Guy has been an ******* in the past and yes, he still kinda is but he has never done something as terrible as this and this is especially wrong because himself has an history of abuse because of his alcoholic father. Hell, I don't think Guy was even this bad during the early years of the JLI where he basically was a jerk stereotype.

Once again, King wanted really hard for someone to play a role that contributes the themes of the plot without taking into consideration the history of the character nor how damaging this is to them. Oh, and what plot? There wasn't much of it here so this characterization seems even more of a waste.

Greg Smallwood's artwork is fantastic though, very beautiful and distinctive style along with really creative storytelling.

Aside from that, yeah, I'm not expecting much from this now.

Incredible Member

Like the spot-on characterization of Ice as the classic femme fatale in the last issue, like she's been portrayed as historically? You mention yourself Guy plays the role of the "toxic archetype". King seems to be using all the characters (so far) to fill the classic noir archetypes. I don't think anyone is considering this to be an in-continuity story.

I don't have any anti/pro King sentiments. Loved Omega Men and Mr. Miracle, hated Heroes in Crisis, "meh" on Strange Adventures, and alternately loved/enjoyed/confused/bored by his Batman run.

To me, it just seems he is using the characters to fit the roles of the story. I don't have any issues with it, so far. I mean, I'm not going to tell anyone how to enjoy reading, I just think it's a stretch to view Guy's behavior through his historical, in-universe portrayal. I don't think it applies to anyone here.

I'm actually now more curious to see which "Noir" roles the JLI'ers fill going forward. I'm guessing classic stooge for Booster, plucky do-gooder for Beetle, Fire as the chanteuse, Rocket Red as the bad cop?, Batman as the anti-hero. Martian Manhunter and G'Nort... I've got nothin'.

See here’s the thing I think going to separate us on this because I don’t think Guy was written out of character. A little extreme but yeah I’ve read guy Gardner before and he can be a real handful when he wants to be. Disrespectful, Combative, Harassing, and causing problems that others have to clean up (looking back at his solo series when he got a yellow ring and became Warrior). Not saying he isn’t a good character and have his moments but I can’t exactly say that King mischaracterized him.

And this issue isn’t exactly the worst he’s done, here he picks fights with Chance and disassembled his car. The worst it gets is the end of the issue with the chai but Chance immediately get his revenge.

You know what does bug me? If this issue shows that Booster did silly stuff with time travel like get bagel ingredients why not go back in time, save Chance from poison, and make it so the JLi isn’t suspect for potential murder?
    Last edited by sifighter; 12-28-2021 at 06:58 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Amazing Member

Another issue, another case of King not understanding or not caring about JLI characters. Sigh.

Guy must have the glassiest jaw in the entire DC Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He must have a really good dentist on speed dial.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Amazing Member

Except that Guy beat this guy in a fist fight. The glass jaw thing is from 35 years ago and King doesn’t seem to have done any research on the character since then.

7DDF958D-CCFC-4EB9-8DB3-82291EED7EE4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bossofbam View Post
    Except that Guy beat this guy in a fist fight. The glass jaw thing is from 35 years ago and King doesn’t seem to have done any research on the character since then.

7DDF958D-CCFC-4EB9-8DB3-82291EED7EE4.jpg
    I don't disagree but the One Punch is too iconic and memorable. It's been adapted in media. He's never going to completely live it down .

I'm not really familiar with the JLI, so not a big issue for me.

I'm, however, really glady Hawkman wasn't a part of the team. He is the character I dread King putting his hands on the most, it would be JLU x1000.

Back to Human Target, it was a good issue all things considered. After what happened to Adam Strange, I think we can say Guy's treatment here was "cute".

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

And this is why I avoided the book.
    It looks AMAZING, but I suspected King's handling of characters I really enjoy such as Booster and Guy would piss me off.
    For everyone who's enjoying the title, more power to you. But it isn't my idea of a good time.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I'm not really familiar with the JLI, so not a big issue for me.

I'm, however, really glady Hawkman wasn't a part of the team. He is the character I dread King putting his hands on the most, it would be JLU x1000.

Back to Human Target, it was a good issue all things considered. After what happened to Adam Strange, I think we can say Guy's treatment here was "cute".
    I imagine King's Hawkman would either be Injustice Hawkman dialed up to 11 or he'd center it around the futility of his tragic romance with Hawkgirl with him dying a bunch of times in multiple lives.

Amazing Member

I imagine King's Hawkman would either be Injustice Hawkman dialed up to 11 or he'd center it around the futility of his tragic romance with Hawkgirl with him dying a bunch of times in multiple lives.
    I image he would write it as "surprise, Hath-Set was actually Shiera Hall soulmate this entire time and Carter has willingly been misleading her. The series would end with Shiera killing Carter as he pleads that he did it all because he loved her. After, Shiera would smoke a cigarette, say something quippy and walk away."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Wow, in just one book Tom King crowned himself the worst Guy Gardner writer of all time. He literally got everything wrong. Fucking wow.

I'm at an actual loss. I knew he was just ripping off DoA like he is True Grit for Supergirl, and Ice as a sultry femme fatale should have clued me in he doesn't get these characters at all, but wow that Guy Gardner.

Even at his absolute worst, he always had nice things to say about Ice.

This is way too far.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Wow, in just one book Tom King crowned himself the worst Guy Gardner writer of all time. He literally got everything wrong. Fucking wow.

I'm at an actual loss. I knew he was just ripping off DoA like he is True Grit for Supergirl, and Ice as a sultry femme fatale should have clued me in he doesn't get these characters at all, but wow that Guy Gardner.

Even at his absolute worst, he always had nice things to say about Ice.

This is way too far.
    Right on. These days, Guy should be written like this:

4C1D1DAC-F226-489C-A025-07941E2215C7.jpg
    BDA72884-08B2-4826-9DC1-0D45A9BF56BC.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bossofbam View Post
    I image he would write it as "surprise, Hath-Set was actually Shiera Hall soulmate this entire time and Carter has willingly been misleading her. The series would end with Shiera killing Carter as he pleads that he did it all because he loved her. After, Shiera would smoke a cigarette, say something quippy and walk away."
    Now that you mention it I could see King taking that plot point that Chay-Ara was cheating on Khufu from JLU and mine it for maximum drama.