Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I thought so but others wouldn't have.
    BB

The big thing I have with Jack Kirby is how I think his work and style is like a shorthand or blueprint for what comics could be.

Like from the first time I'll have seen stuff of his there'll have been such attraction to it.
    A succinctness, or no-nonsense full-on-ness to it.
    Like for going: yes!

I think popular attraction along the vain of comics or illustrativeness would need to be self-explanatory, by experience, and all that.
    Like an excavation or exploration in reverse so to speak.

As if stuff like Kirby is made for pointing out: this is fun and cool so see where it boldly goes from here, onto wherever.
    Boldly, buffly and succinctly, like an in-the-face tale, starting and holding its course onto being but the most enticing, maximally.

The first ever drawing by Kirby will have been something with Fantastic Four's Thing in there. Or X-Men, maybe, but likely those would get drawn by others. Captain America I feel won't have been as commonly seen in my native surroundings, or at least he would play second fiddle to Thor for instance.
    But I voted for Kamandi.
    I haven't even read that yet, but I like the cover of him peddling past the Statue of Liberty, eventhough if Kirby wouldn't have drawn that cover I don't know I'd like it as much!
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-30-2014 at 11:36 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Black Panther
    Dr. Doom
    Blackbolt
    Last edited by Doc Omega; 08-31-2014 at 07:24 AM.
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by senwolf View Post
    Should have gone with Doom. I mean I know it is Kirby and the man is a legend but his god of death...skis? WTF!?! You do realize that if he had created them a decade later that guy would probably roller blade.
    I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Black Rider. The idea is just so out there, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    you'd think Jack Kirby has a unique fashion sense.
    Would he be drawing stuff to wear, or would everything to his designs be for creating graphical enticement most primarily? I'd think it'd be the latter.

I think Kirby was capable of merging what he himself could be to draw with whatever as being to suit reading entertainment most advantagiously. Plus he would incorporate any designs, even those of clothing or vehicles or objects, onto fitting within the graphical representation most advantageously just the same.
    Like one big string of butchness and effect and design, albeit as made for reading (graphically) at the same time.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-30-2014 at 12:47 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Funky Flashman.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Funky Flashman.
    Ha! Or like the kids say today, LOL!!

I've always had a special love for the Silver Surfer, and I've never completely understood why.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

Black Bolt.

Extraordinary Member

Jesus. The guy made so much!

Its gotta be Captain but I could easily say all of them!

The Silver Surfer is an interesting choice. We know Kirby created him without input from Stan in FF 48. But it was Stan and John Buscema that made the great Silver Age series with him. And did so portraying him in a different way than Jack intended, but making him a fan favorite.

Captain America would be #1 for me, and gets my vote, but darn it if the FF isn't a close second
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

For me, it's kind of like throwing darts at a dartboard, no matter where it hits, I will find a favorite Kirby creation. I think for sheer unadulterated Kirby, his 70s output shines, but his earlier stuff done mostly in some form of collaboration with either Joe Simon or Stan Lee is legendary. It's so hard to pick, but my dart landed on Kamandi this time. If I could vote each time I came to CBR, I would likely have a different vote each time, as there is so much that I love among his oeuvre.

-M

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    The Silver Surfer is an interesting choice. We know Kirby created him without input from Stan in FF 48. But it was Stan and John Buscema that made the great Silver Age series with him. And did so portraying him in a different way than Jack intended, but making him a fan favorite.
    I think that Jack's idea for the character was better, to be honest. Those Lee/Buscema Silver Surfer stories are very hard to read. The art looks great, but the scripting...bleh. Like a first year college student who discovered philosophy for the first time.

For me it's a tie between Black Panther and the New Gods.

I really don't think even Kirby knew what type of impact a character like Black Panther was going to have on black kids like myself. To see an African hero that is on the same tier as the greatest geniuses of Marvel, it was really inspiring. And I don't think another character would have appeared like that sooner or later.

Kirby's Fourth World were the first time I saw something in comics that really took me aback. Something I had not seen in any other medium. Really jumpstarted my imagination.