Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

There are so many options missing. Many professionals list Boys Ranch as the "perfect" comic book when evaluating the whole history of the genre. Certainly it stands out from the "superhero" predominance of so many of the choices listed. Shame it's missing from the list. It gets my vote as would other Simon/Kirby co-creations.

I picked the Fantastic Four. Also, the following were all spawned from that book, and would most likely not exist without the FF: Doctor Doom, Galactus & The Silver Surfer, and The Inhumans.

I feel like the Avengers and Black Panther would have happened eventually anyway, in some form.

And while I have enjoyed them over the years, I don't have the same affinity for his DC creations.
    Last edited by Kenozoic; 08-28-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    Top 6 Legionnaires: Wildfire, Timber Wolf, Polar Boy, Shadow Lass, Phantom Girl, Ultra Boy

Recent favorite books: Black Science, Five Ghosts, and LOW

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Alkyfore View Post
    There are so many options missing. Many professionals list Boys Ranch as the "perfect" comic book when evaluating the whole history of the genre. Certainly it stands out from the "superhero" predominance of so many of the choices listed. Shame it's missing from the list. It gets my vote as would other Simon/Kirby co-creations.
    Agreed. Fighting American is also missing. It was pure over-the-top superhero satire. You have to read the series imagining you are living in anti-communism 50's America to appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    That is where he started to refine his process of creation; those stories he created was the driving force of Marvel.
    I find that he put out a lot of ideas that bloomed latter on through other writers. X-Men and Thor are probably the best examples of this.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

The Marvel Universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I find that he put out a lot of ideas that bloomed latter on through other writers. X-Men and Thor are probably the best examples of this.
    I will give you X-men, but Thor? Not a chance. Simonson got close, but only because he stayed close to the Kirby formula.
    Kirby's stories in Thor were the genesis for the Fourth World saga.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Mr. Miracle & Big Barda
    OMAC
    The DNA Project
    The Demon
    Last edited by The Beast Of Yucca Flats; 08-29-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Forgot some.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I hit New Gods right away, but then I saw the FF. Maybe Stan only did word balloons and captions, but he must have collaborated somewhat? The Thing!

I know this is just opinion but if you voted for anything other than Dr. Doom you were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Had to go with the New Gods/Fourth World, but that's kinda stacking the deck because you're talking about Darkseid, Orion, Mister Miracle, and dozens of other memorable characters. Nearly went with Dr. Doom.
    Should have gone with Doom. I mean I know it is Kirby and the man is a legend but his god of death...skis? WTF!?! You do realize that if he had created them a decade later that guy would probably roller blade.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by senwolf View Post
    Should have gone with Doom. I mean I know it is Kirby and the man is a legend but his god of death...skis? WTF!?! You do realize that if he had created them a decade later that guy would probably roller blade.
    Even if you find the Black racer ridiculous-- and I don't-- there's still dozens of memorable characters from the 4th World that aren't. Darkseid, Orion, Mr Miracle, Dan Turpin, Big Barda, Desaad, Lightray, Highfather, the Forever People, Granny Goodness, and on an on. It's a remarkable blast of creativity from a master of the form. I don't think any one single character (as good as many of them were) really rivals to overall breadth of what Kirby did with the 4th World.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    the Forever People
    All my hate.
    BB

Astonishing Member

Captain America aka the only correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Captain America aka the only correct answer.
    Okay, this is strange coming from you.
    BB

Astonishing Member

Hard to expresss irony here.

On a serious note, it's either Etrigan or Mister Miracle.