All-New Member

Default Do i need to read or know anything before reading the Omnibuses?

I've never read any comics from the Hellboy universe before. But i would like to, especially the B.P.R.D. titles. Recently while browsing the wiki page i came to know that there are a few B.P.R.D. omnibuses. Can i jump right into them? ... If i start reading them without reading the hellboy issues first, then will i miss out on anything?
    ... I think there was a run in the past in which Hellboy and the members of the B.P.R.D. appeared together in the same books ... Do i need to read those first before reading the B.P.R.D. omnibuses?

What about the Abe Sapien omnibuses and Witchfinder omnibuses. Do i need to read any other series before jumping into Abe Sapien and Witchfinder titles?

Also are there any crossovers between these titles (Hellboy, Abe Sapien, Witchfinder, B.P.R.D. etc.) and do i need a reading order ... or can i just pick up any of these omnibuses and start reading them?

Thanks.

Most of these series work without the context of the others. You don't need to read Hellboy to read B.P.R.D., but you get more out of it if you have. The exception to this is the Abe Sapien series, which is very dependant on other series, and the final B.P.R.D. omnibus, The Devil You Know.

Or you can just follow this list:
    1. Hellboy – Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
    2. Hellboy: The Complete Short Stories – Volumes 1–2
    3. Hellboy – Volume 2: Strange Places
    4. B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs – Volumes 1-4
    5. Hellboy – Volume 3: The Wild Hunt
    6. Sir Edward Grey: Witchfinder – Volumes 1–2
    7. Lobster Johnson – Volume 1 (coming out March 2022)
    8. Hellboy Universe: The Secret Histories
    9. B.P.R.D.: 1946–1948
    10. Hellboy – Volume 4: Hellboy in Hell
    11. B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth – Volumes 1-3
    12. Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible – Volume 1
    13. B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth – Volume 4
    14. Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible – Volume 2
    15. B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth – Volumes 5
    16. Frankenstein Underground (not yet in an omnibus)
    17. Koshchei the Deathless (not yet in an omnibus)
    18. B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know
    19. Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1952–1954
    20. Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1955–1957 (probably coming out 2023)

All-New Member

So if i don't read any other series and only stick to B.P.R.D., including the final omnibus "the devil you know" (which you said depends upon other series), then will i be left with many questions in the end? Does "the devil you know" crosses over to other series?

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Most of these series work without the context of the others. You don't need to read Hellboy to read B.P.R.D., but you get more out of it if you have. The exception to this is the Abe Sapien series, which is very dependant on other series, and the final B.P.R.D. omnibus, The Devil You Know.

Or you can just follow this list:
    1. Hellboy – Volume 1: Seed of Destruction . . .
    If nothing else, you may want to read the Seed of Destruction issues early on, just because those four issues of Hellboy were the first ones published and things were introduced in those issues that would play a part in everything later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Drag0n View Post
    So if i don't read any other series and only stick to B.P.R.D., including the final omnibus "the devil you know" (which you said depends upon other series), then will i be left with many questions in the end? Does "the devil you know" crosses over to other series?
    B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know is the ending for Hellboy, Abe Sapien, and B.P.R.D., and sort of a continuation of Witchfinder. Without at least reading Hellboy, large portions of B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know will not mean anything.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know is the ending for Hellboy, Abe Sapien, and B.P.R.D., and sort of a continuation of Witchfinder. Without at least reading Hellboy, large portions of B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know will not mean anything.
    Thanks. I recently collected the two Baltimore Omnibus volumes as well, after knowing that Baltimore is a standalone/separate story and has nothing to do with the other titles. I'm very happy with the purchase.

Btw, do you think i need to read the very first novel that came out in 2007 - "BALTIMORE AND THE STEADFAST TIN SOLDIER AND THE VAMPIRE" before reading the two baltimore omnibuses? ... The sad part is, it is not available on amazon at a reasonable price. If i don't read it and directly start with the Baltimore omnibuses, will that be ok?
    Last edited by Red_Drag0n; 01-03-2022 at 05:41 AM.

Baltimore comic can be read without reading the novel. The important plot stuff from the novel is recreated in the comic. Though you’ll be missing a little bit of fun character background. But the comic was made to stand alone

Btw, do you think i need to read the very first novel that came out in 2007 - "BALTIMORE AND THE STEADFAST TIN SOLDIER AND THE VAMPIRE" before reading the two baltimore omnibuses? ... The sad part is, it is not available on amazon at a reasonable price. If i don't read it and directly start with the Baltimore omnibuses, will that be ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Baltimore comic can be read without reading the novel. The important plot stuff from the novel is recreated in the comic. Though you’ll be missing a little bit of fun character background. But the comic was made to stand alone
    Yeah, you can launch straight into the comic. That said, when you can, circle back to the novel... It's good!

All-New Member

I've already ordered all the Hellboy omnibuses and i'm planning to grab the rest of the titles but the problem is, Abe Sapien omnibus volume 2 and 3 have become unavailable on amazon. The B.P.R.D. Vampire issue also is not available for purchase. They've been out of stock for more than two weeks now. I've noticed that once comics go out of stock, they don't easily become available again. And even if they do, the prices go high.

Do you guys think there are any chances of the omnibuses to become available again ... or will i be left with an incomplete collection?

Amazon is the only place from where i grab my comics. Their shipping charges are pretty reasonable and ship overseas too. I'm from Asia btw. Not sure if any other comic site ship in Asian countries, that too at a decent price.
    Last edited by Red_Drag0n; 01-25-2022 at 02:45 PM.

I’d imagine the Abe Sapien ones will come around. In paperback at least. The omnibuses are meant to stay in print. But unfortunately right now the schedule on that is hard to predict. As for Vampire it was reprinted a year or two ago due to its rarity. I wouldn’t expect it again too soon, but I hope it does as it’s a favorite

All-New Member

Thanks Skinkie.

All-New Member

i'll start with the hellboy omnis first (as i was recommended by you guys) and then i'm thinking of jumping right into the Witchfinder omnis ... Can i do that?

... User @middenway said above that BPRD: The Devil You Know is the ending of titles like hellboy, abe sapien, bprd and a continuation of witchfinder. And since the Abe Sapien omnis are unavailable ATM and some of BPRD omni prices have gone up, i was thinking of jumping right into Witchfinder series after reading hellboy. Do you think i can do that?

i'll start with the hellboy omnis first (as i was recommended by you guys) and then i'm thinking of jumping right into the Witchfinder omnis ... Can i do that?

... User @middenway said above that BPRD: The Devil You Know is the ending of titles like hellboy, abe sapien, bprd and a continuation of witchfinder. And since the Abe Sapien omnis are unavailable ATM and some of BPRD omni prices have gone up, i was thinking of jumping right into Witchfinder series after reading hellboy. Do you think i can do that?
    Sir Edward Grey: Witchfinder stories are set in the 19th century (1800s) during Queen Victoria's reign, so you should be okay with that.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Sir Edward Grey: Witchfinder stories are set in the 19th century (1800s) during Queen Victoria's reign, so you should be okay with that.
    Ah, its a relief to hear that. :=)