Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What Are Spider Man Fans' Opinions on Trouble?

An attempt by Bill Jemas and Joe Quesada to revive the romance genre in comics, Trouble sparked controversy when the last issue implied that Aunt May was Peter Parker's biological mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    An attempt by Bill Jemas and Joe Quesada to revive the romance genre in comics, Trouble sparked controversy when the last issue implied that Aunt May was Peter Parker's biological mother.
    I mean, now in a post-Spider-Verse world, it's perfectly acceptable as a kooky teen soap drama-esque alternate universe.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Like OMD and Sins Past. Trouble should should never be spoken of again.

With a creep like Mark Millar as the author, the whole thing is trash.

probably explains 616 Aunt May sex drive
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I never heard of this, but I cannot think of anyone ( Dan Slott included) who I hate around Spider-Man more then Joe Quesada. Besides I thought they had stuff like Archie for those who like Romance comics. I would sooner root for the Red Sox then read anything by Quesada.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    With a creep like Mark Millar
    I don't really spend my time looking into the lives of celebrities, authors, musicians, actors or people in entertainment so I don't keep up with "news" so i have to ask... what makes Mark Millar a creep?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    I don't really spend my time looking into the lives of celebrities, authors, musicians, actors or people in entertainment so I don't keep up with "news" so i have to ask... what makes Mark Millar a creep?
    I am the same way. I looked up Millar on Wikipedia and did not find anything objectionable about him. To be honest, the main thing I am concerned with is content not someone’s political opinions ( regardless if I agree with them or not). Obviously there are exceptions like those individuals who abuse women and ( or) children.

I enjoyed it for what it was. It was in the final issue we find out it’s intended to be the Ultimate universe, so regardless of any acknowledgment later on, in my mind that’s canon for Ultimate Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am the same way. I looked up Millar on Wikipedia and did not find anything objectionable about him. To be honest, the main thing I am concerned with is content not someone’s political opinions ( regardless if I agree with them or not). Obviously there are exceptions like those individuals who abuse women and ( or) children.

Just look at his writing and count how many times rape, incest and various types of sex come into his stories. Dude has issues.

I'll list some of his "greatest hits".

Trouble: Aunt May is hoe, who is sleeping with two brothers at the same time. Ben is her boyfriend and Richard is his brother. Richard is also dating May's sister, Mary.

Old Man Logan: Incest between Hulk and She-Hulk and their brood of mentally handicapped hulk children.

Ultimate Quicksilver and Ultimate Scarlet Witch: Jamie and Cersei Lannister incest relationship.

Wanted: The character Rictus rapes and murders women.

Kick-Ass: The character Chris D'Amico/Red Mist/the Motherf*cker rapes Kick-Ass's girlfriend, Nightbitch. The scene was altered from the movie, because none of the actors felt comfortable doing this. Even off screen.

Kingsman The Secret Service: The main character Eggsy has a skeevy scene with the princess at the end of the film.

Nemesis: The Pièce de Résistance! The rape and incest baby, with a womb that is wired to explode if an abortion is attempted.

I'm sure there are more examples, but you get the idea. Creep is an understatement.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 12-29-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Astonishing Member

Just look at his writing and count how many times rape, incest and various types of sex come into his stories. Dude has issues.

Trouble: Aunt May is hoe, who is sleeping with two brothers at the same time. Ben is her boyfriend and Richard is his brother. Richard is also dating May's sister, Mary.

Old Man Logan: Incest between Hulk and She-Hulk and their brood of mentally handicapped hulk children.

Ultimate Quicksilver and Ultimate Scarlet Witch: Jamie and Cersei Lannister incest relationship.

Kick-Ass: The character Chris D'Amico/Red Mist/the Motherf*cker rapes Kick-Ass's girlfriend, Nightbitch. The scene was altered from the movie, because none of the actors felt comfortable doing this. Even off screen.

Kingsman The Secret Service: The main character Eggsy has a skeevy scene with the princess at the end of the film.

Nemesis: The Pièce de Résistance! The rape and incest baby, with a womb that is wired to explode if an abortion is attempted.

I'm sure there are more examples, but you get the idea. Creep is an understatement.
    Thank you for letting me know I was unaware of this. Nemesis sounds particularly offensive. I cannot imagine the kind of sick mind necessary to create such a story. I guarantee I will NOT be reading Trouble I do not find those kind of storylines to be the least bit entertaining ( in fact, they would make me even more angry then OMD made ( and still makes me)).

I mean, those are just stories, and while Millar may do stuff in poor taste, eh, hardly means he's a creep to people in real life.

You forgot about how cannibalism is weirdly consistent by the way, I think OML has cannibalism around, and Ultimate X-Men has Magneto implying he ate people before, then says that humanity will basically be food for mutants, and Ultimate Hulk is infamous for being a cannibal.

Anyways, Trouble is a whatever story by itself from what I've read, really questionable if it's part of 616, so eh...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Spectacular Member

It's... one of those Marvel related "things" I like to pretend never happened. Not only for the Peter Parker's cringeworthy connection, but reading of teens having random and cheating sex because they are bored is not my idea of great content.

Millar is more of an edgelord than a real creep. He does shocking stuff for the sake of being shocking.

Astonishing Member

Let’s put it this way; Millar has the odd distinction of writing one of the best Spidey stories ever with his Marvel Knights 12 issue run, and one of the worst stories ever with Trouble. Quite a resume there.

Despite my dislike for some of his work, anyone calling him a “creep” or claiming without evidence that he has “issues” should probably keep his uninformed opinions to himself.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 12-29-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Let’s put it this way; Millar has the odd distinction of writing one of the best Spidey stories ever with his Marvel Knights 12 issue run, and one of the worst stories ever with Trouble. Quite a resume there.

Despite my dislike for some of his work, anyone calling him a “creep” or claiming without evidence that he has “issues” should probably keep his uninformed opinions to himself.
    Sure thing, mate.

I think Millar’s overuse of rape, incest and sex in his stories is creepy. I’ve listed and detailed explains as to why I think so.

Lukemendes pointed out that cannibalism is also a recurring element Millar uses. Didn’t hit my radar. Just like Millar’s penchant for over the top ultra-violence doesn’t hit my radar. It comes with the territory with writers like Mark Millar, Frank Miller and Tarantino.

None of the aforementioned stories that I listed are improved or elevated because rape, incest and other disturbing content. Why he goes back to the same well of sexual content for his stories, is certain to raise some eyebrows and get people thinking about what goes on inside his head.

Remember, all opinions are valid. Except the ones you disagree with.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 12-29-2021 at 06:05 PM.