Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default ASM 83 Review and Spoilers (+ Timeless 1) -- Ben, wherefore art thou?

It's that time once again, fellow Spidey-Spectators! Let's review what I would consider the best Ben-less issue of Beyond yet!

1) We start with Janine wading in an infinity pool, staring out at (what is presumably) all the giant tvs of Times Square. She's talking with Beyond Lackey Langston, who makes sure she remembers that Ben is "theirs" and not just "hers." Seems like the kind of thing nobody would say unless they are part of an evil comic book corporation. Then Marcus texts her that Ben is in the field and will be home late; Janine can't help but wonder whether Ben really was too busy to text, of if something else is going on. All of a sudden, it's lights out! I guess Beyond gets to decide when Janine goes to sleep. Seems awfully controlling, yet all with a smile.

2) Now we're with Peter. He's in pain and refuses to do physical therapy despite the protests of his nurse*. But he seems to feel immediately better when checking out the text he got from MJ (though less enthusiastic about the message from Felicia). Peter also sees that he texted Aunt May last night, but doesn't remember doing it do to being drugged up. Is this the flimsy way we're going to brush away the fact that the hospital had a man-eating monster working there?! There were LOTS of skulls in a pile down in the basement. How many people did that dude eat?! And Peter and MJ have said nothing?

3) Instead we get an admittedly funny bit where Peter, still drugged up, bought some expensive Spidey merch online.

4) Uh-oh! Peter's spider-sense begins freaking out again! We get (literally) internal monologue in which Peter once again describes his spider-sense trying to warn him about something happening inside his mind. Somehow, the U-Foes attack has changed his spider-sense. But what's still left unclear is where the danger stems from: it SEEMS like the change in Peter's spider-sense is causing him great pain; and YET, despite the change being caused by the U-Foes attack, MIGHT it be that the change is actually good in the long run due to warning him of some obscure danger within his mind that he wouldn't have been able to uncover otherwise? Is Peter being HELPED by Beyond for some nefarious reason, and knowing he'd be out of action for a while, did Beyond approach Ben as a fill-in after all? Whatever the case may be, Peter says his spider-sense has "taken on a life of its own" and that it's "agony." And he's tired of fighting the pain, which we can read in two ways: both the literal pain of the moment and the overall pain of being Spider-Man.

5) Y'know what I hate? When a bunch of spider legs emerge from my head.

But seriously, at this point we really need to consider what is "real" and what is only happening in Peter's head. Because I'm not sure he actually rocketed from his bed, through the giant tvs in Times Square, grew spider legs out of his head, and then found himself laying naked in the snow.

6) For a moment, the creative team wants us to think Peter is dead: "At least you are no longer in pain," says the nurse. But it's because Peter is out of bed and sitting in a chair instead. He tells her the migraines are feeling better, and she gives him a package: the Spidey stuff he ordered!

7) Peter's outside now, wearing his "knock off tights" -- apparently because he believes he needs to "jump start [his] other senses and get back into the swing of things." Fun tidbit: Peter is surprised that the "toy webshooters" he bought might actually be "salvaged from an old Scarlet Spider costume."

8) "Who needs Beyond's fancy upgrades...?" asks Peter. HMMMMMMMM.

9) OKAY, FAVORITE PART OF THE ISSUE: Peter refers to Reilly as "Spider-Ben." Is this the first time Marvel has had anyone in-comic refer to him as such? On the one hand, I was stoked to see it. On the other, Peter still refers to himself in the same breath as "Spider-Man" instead of "Spider-Pete." Still seems to be some subconscious resentment or feelings of inadequacy regarding Ben's existence there, huh Peter?

10) Someone needs help! Time for Spider-Man's SENSATIONAL RETURN! (Are we just being #*$^ed with now? Everyone knows Ben is the Sensational Spider-Man!)

11) Peter makes up for that by telling some carjackers aka "stupid criminals" that there are two Spideys now and HE is the Amazing one. Unfortunately, when he tries to web himself out of the way of the stolen car, his webshooter just plays audio: GO WEBS GO indeed.

12) Peter gets the crap kicked out of him by the carjackers. It seems he doesn't have his spider-sense right now.

13) Luckily, Captain America is here to save the day! And also knock Peter unconscious while simultaneously saving him from being shot. Yay? Oops?

14) Cap apologizes to a Peter who is losing conscious. Funny gag: the webshooters poot out some webbing onto his costume.

15) DREAMTIME / MEMORY TIME: Aunt May checks in on Lil Petey, who is sick. She's mixed some medicine into his broth to take away his "sense of pain." She says, "It's still there. But you don't have to feel it if you don't want to." Outside his window is a Spidey made of webs. Lil Petey freaks out when he sees him.

16) Next it's time for Uncle Ben, who brought him the gum he stole and then confessed to stealing. Ben says people don't usually get rewarded for doing the right thing; that, instead, usually it costs something. Ben's speech gives Lil Petey a renewed sense of sense, and so he welcomes back the Personification of Spidey-Sense, which looks SO COOL.

17) Taking back control of his Spider-Sense transforms Lil Petey back into a fully-costumed Spider-Man, but in reality, Peter Parker is in his hospital bed, looking just as bad as ever, calling for his nurse. Does Peter need help, or is he finally ready for rehab? TO BE CONTINUED.

All in all, a really interesting issue. Janine wasn't given much to do, once again, but at least she wasn't standing alone in a weirdly-large room once again. It's not progress, but it's... something? It'll be interesting to see if and when she decides to work against Beyond, and if she does, how she goes about it. I also really enjoyed what we got with Peter in this issue, especially compared to the seemingly-irrelevant last issue: while it's still tough to know what exactly is going on, I did appreciate how this particular memory for Peter (and Ben) continues to have growing relevance in the Beyond storyline, and I liked how the memory was breached by Lil Petey confronting the VERY AWESOME Personified Spider-Sense.

I would've preferred some panel time for Ben in this issue, but I have been trying to remind myself that the Beyond storyline didn't even originally have Ben in it. Trying to be thankful for getting Ben at all, I guess is what I'm saying. And luckily, we get to what I'm guessing is going to be a highlight of Beyond: the confrontation between Spider-Ben and White Suited Doc Ock!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile, over in Timeless #1, Kang sees a potential near-future in which spoilers:
    we see Ben in his Beyond suit swinging in front of the Hollywood sign! So, it seems we may be getting a West Coast Spidey series spinning out of Beyond! Or, at the very least, a likely end to Beyond in which Ben lives. Why would he move though? Hopefully not due to some tragedy befalling Janine. (Would he still wearing the Beyond costume if that happens? I don't think so.) My guess is that Peter and Ben come to an understanding, but Ben decides to give Peter some space in an effort to make his life easier. They can be bros, but maybe it'll be easier for awhile if they chill in different area codes.
    end of spoilers Regardless, I can't wait to see what the outcome is!

-Pav, who hates the actual *Nurse Ratched more than any other fictional character (or real person for that matter)...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

I would've preferred some panel time for Ben in this issue, but I have been trying to remind myself that the Beyond storyline didn't even originally have Ben in it. Trying to be thankful for getting Ben at all, I guess is what I'm saying. And luckily, we get to what I'm guessing is going to be a highlight of Beyond: the confrontation between Spider-Ben and White Suited Doc Ock!!!!!!!!!

What? When and where was this stated?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Zeb Wells on some podcast supposedly said he pitched Beyond and Nick Lowe came back with "what about if you used Ben Reilly".

Been trying to track it down myself

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    Zeb Wells on some podcast supposedly said he pitched Beyond and Nick Lowe came back with "what about if you used Ben Reilly".

Been trying to track it down myself
    It seems like once again I am needed, so here you go!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000529804782

The Spider-Man Beyond convo starts around 38:00, if you just wanna skip straight to it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post

The Spider-Man Beyond convo starts around 38:00, if you just wanna skip straight to it
    Yeah I required it that other time, but Wells says it was pitched to Wells as a Ben story from the begining. Lowe pitched that to Zeb, but there's is no indication of Beyoind without Ben

Astonishing Member

And you sir, you're a gentleman

Even if Beyond originally wasn't gonna have him, it's no excuse for him to be sidelined like this.

Spider-Verse had a similar issue, where Slott originally planned for it to use Otto instead of Peter, and it shows, since Otto moves the plot along a lot, makes me wonder if Cindy and the whole pheromone nonsense would happen with Otto too lol.

Meanwhile, over in Timeless #1, Kang sees a potential near-future in which spoilers:
    we see Ben in his Beyond suit swinging in front of the Hollywood sign! So, it seems we may be getting a West Coast Spidey series spinning out of Beyond! Or, at the very least, a likely end to Beyond in which Ben lives. Why would he move though? Hopefully not due to some tragedy befalling Janine. (Would he still wearing the Beyond costume if that happens? I don't think so.) My guess is that Peter and Ben come to an understanding, but Ben decides to give Peter some space in an effort to make his life easier. They can be bros, but maybe it'll be easier for awhile if they chill in different area codes.
    end of spoilers
    How very Kaine of him, is Ben gonna get his own Aracely too? .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member

It's that time once again, fellow Spidey-Spectators! Let's review what I would consider the best Ben-less issue of Beyond yet!

1) We start with Janine wading in an infinity pool, staring out at (what is presumably) all the giant tvs of Times Square. She's talking with Beyond Lackey Langston, who makes sure she remembers that Ben is "theirs" and not just "hers." Seems like the kind of thing nobody would say unless they are part of an evil comic book corporation. Then Marcus texts her that Ben is in the field and will be home late; Janine can't help but wonder whether Ben really was too busy to text, of if something else is going on. All of a sudden, it's lights out! I guess Beyond gets to decide when Janine goes to sleep. Seems awfully controlling, yet all with a smile.
    I feel they are holding something over her head to keep her around as a leash on Ben.And since we know Ben's fate I'm afraid for her.

4) Uh-oh! Peter's spider-sense begins freaking out again! We get (literally) internal monologue in which Peter once again describes his spider-sense trying to warn him about something happening inside his mind. Somehow, the U-Foes attack has changed his spider-sense. But what's still left unclear is where the danger stems from: it SEEMS like the change in Peter's spider-sense is causing him great pain; and YET, despite the change being caused by the U-Foes attack, MIGHT it be that the change is actually good in the long run due to warning him of some obscure danger within his mind that he wouldn't have been able to uncover otherwise? Is Peter being HELPED by Beyond for some nefarious reason, and knowing he'd be out of action for a while, did Beyond approach Ben as a fill-in after all? Whatever the case may be, Peter says his spider-sense has "taken on a life of its own" and that it's "agony." And he's tired of fighting the pain, which we can read in two ways: both the literal pain of the moment and the overall pain of being Spider-Man.
    Loved how they did Spider-sense but I hope we get more to the "danger inside" bit

Would be cool if he didn't get steamrolled, I hope Peter whips up a suit of his own to compensate for his health.

9) OKAY, FAVORITE PART OF THE ISSUE: Peter refers to Reilly as "Spider-Ben." Is this the first time Marvel has had anyone in-comic refer to him as such? On the one hand, I was stoked to see it. On the other, Peter still refers to himself in the same breath as "Spider-Man" instead of "Spider-Pete." Still seems to be some subconscious resentment or feelings of inadequacy regarding Ben's existence there, huh Peter?
    Tbf he's the THE Spider-man, everyone else has an asterix on their name except Peter and for someone so much trauma and low self-esteem I'm glad he knows he's still Spider-man.No matter how bad it turns out

10) Someone needs help! Time for Spider-Man's SENSATIONAL RETURN! (Are we just being #*$^ed with now? Everyone knows Ben is the Sensational Spider-Man!)
    That was... weird, maybe a funny gag of Peter and Ben talking each other's titles and while IIRC Peter has been amazing a lot has Ben been called Sensational?Seems like a gag but maybe it's more

16) Next it's time for Uncle Ben, who brought him the gum he stole and then confessed to stealing. Ben says people don't usually get rewarded for doing the right thing; that, instead, usually it costs something. Ben's speech gives Lil Petey a renewed sense of sense, and so he welcomes back the Personification of Spidey-Sense, which looks SO COOL.
    Ben(Uncle Ben) has been fantastic in this.Love Uncle Ben's character how did they treat the old man better than our alive Ben.

17) Taking back control of his Spider-Sense transforms Lil Petey back into a fully-costumed Spider-Man, but in reality, Peter Parker is in his hospital bed, looking just as bad as ever, calling for his nurse. Does Peter need help, or is he finally ready for rehab? TO BE CONTINUED.
    Was he calling for his Nurse?That would make sense, I guess he's ready to start his "work".
    That moment was insane btw, and Spider-sense looks fantastic

Yeah looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Lined below, while it's no excuse Ben being so out of place really adds up w/ this.

You're amazing btw

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    You're amazing btw
    I get the feeling Luke would prefer "Sensational" .

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

Come on, Janine. DO something.

I thought we’d get some more faceless dream people in this one.

With great remorse comes great bubble gum!

Astonishing Member

Thanks, but he says Lowe wanted to do a Ben Reilly story. Where are people getting the notion it was originally about Peter? I’m not even sure where that originated from now.

Astonishing Member

2) Now we're with Peter. He's in pain and refuses to do physical therapy despite the protests of his nurse*. But he seems to feel immediately better when checking out the text he got from MJ (though less enthusiastic about the message from Felicia). Peter also sees that he texted Aunt May last night, but doesn't remember doing it do to being drugged up. Is this the flimsy way we're going to brush away the fact that the hospital had a man-eating monster working there?! There were LOTS of skulls in a pile down in the basement. How many people did that dude eat?! And Peter and MJ have said nothing?

3) Instead we get an admittedly funny bit where Peter, still drugged up, bought some expensive Spidey merch online.

5) Y'know what I hate? When a bunch of spider legs emerge from my head.

But seriously, at this point we really need to consider what is "real" and what is only happening in Peter's head. Because I'm not sure he actually rocketed from his bed, through the giant tvs in Times Square, grew spider legs out of his head, and then found himself laying naked in the snow.

6) For a moment, the creative team wants us to think Peter is dead: "At least you are no longer in pain," says the nurse. But it's because Peter is out of bed and sitting in a chair instead. He tells her the migraines are feeling better, and she gives him a package: the Spidey stuff he ordered!

7) Peter's outside now, wearing his "knock off tights" -- apparently because he believes he needs to "jump start [his] other senses and get back into the swing of things." Fun tidbit: Peter is surprised that the "toy webshooters" he bought might actually be "salvaged from an old Scarlet Spider costume."

11) Peter makes up for that by telling some carjackers aka "stupid criminals" that there are two Spideys now and HE is the Amazing one. Unfortunately, when he tries to web himself out of the way of the stolen car, his webshooter just plays audio: GO WEBS GO indeed.

12) Peter gets the crap kicked out of him by the carjackers. It seems he doesn't have his spider-sense right now.

13) Luckily, Captain America is here to save the day! And also knock Peter unconscious while simultaneously saving him from being shot. Yay? Oops?

14) Cap apologizes to a Peter who is losing conscious. Funny gag: the webshooters poot out some webbing onto his costume.

15) DREAMTIME / MEMORY TIME: Aunt May checks in on Lil Petey, who is sick. She's mixed some medicine into his broth to take away his "sense of pain." She says, "It's still there. But you don't have to feel it if you don't want to." Outside his window is a Spidey made of webs. Lil Petey freaks out when he sees him.

All in all, a really interesting issue. Janine wasn't given much to do, once again, but at least she wasn't standing alone in a weirdly-large room once again. It's not progress, but it's... something? It'll be interesting to see if and when she decides to work against Beyond, and if she does, how she goes about it. I also really enjoyed what we got with Peter in this issue, especially compared to the seemingly-irrelevant last issue: while it's still tough to know what exactly is going on, I did appreciate how this particular memory for Peter (and Ben) continues to have growing relevance in the Beyond storyline, and I liked how the memory was breached by Lil Petey confronting the VERY AWESOME Personified Spider-Sense.

end of spoilers Regardless, I can't wait to see what the outcome is!

-Pav, who hates the actual *Nurse Ratched more than any other fictional character (or real person for that matter)...
    spoilers:

The spider is centered on Ben in that ‘Timeless’ panel, so it looks like the OG Spider-Ben suit from the 90s. I’ll have to check it out again to confirm.
    end of spoilers

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

This story had a lot of parallels to Spider-Man 2 lol. Beautiful art by Gleason as always, and on the last page it almost looks like Peter uses some sort of reverse Spider-sense jammer. Side note, I really wish Peter re-revealed himself to May, I think it would strengthen her role in ASM if she knew Peter was Spider-Man again. I like that Steve still knows Peter’s identity ever since Avenging Spider-Man. I like how Steve still calls Peter “kid” even though he’s around 31 right now (or mid 20s according to Spencer, which does not work at all with previously established timeline. No hard feeling Spencer I still loved your run.)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    This story had a lot of parallels to Spider-Man 2 lol. Beautiful art by Gleason as always, and on the last page it almost looks like Peter uses some sort of reverse Spider-sense jammer. Side note, I really wish Peter re-revealed himself to May, I think it would strengthen her role in ASM if she knew Peter was Spider-Man again. I like that Steve still knows Peter’s identity ever since Avenging Spider-Man. I like how Steve still calls Peter “kid” even though he’s around 31 right now (or mid 20s according to Spencer, which does not work at all with previously established timeline. No hard feeling Spencer I still loved your run.)
    Marvel's timeline doesn't work in general, so it's okay .

Also, did Spidey reveal his identity to Cap on-panel? When he re-revealed it to the New Avengers, I don't think Cap was in it, and I know Avenging Spider-Man shows that Cap knows:

(Avenging Spider-Man#5)

But I'm not sure when the reveal happened on-panel, if it even did.

To think I only remembered that Avenging Spider-Man shows that Cap knows Spidey's identity 'cause of this page, and I only remember this page 'cause Spidey's ass is, noticeable lol.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Marvel's timeline doesn't work in general, so it's okay .

Also, did Spidey reveal his identity to Cap on-panel? When he re-revealed it to the New Avengers, I don't think Cap was in it, and I know Avenging Spider-Man shows that Cap knows:

(Avenging Spider-Man#5)

But I'm not sure when the reveal happened on-panel, if it even did.

To think I only remembered that Avenging Spider-Man shows that Cap knows Spidey's identity 'cause of this page, and I only remember this page 'cause Spidey's ass is, noticeable lol.
    You are correct, the re-reveal was never explicitly shown, it is just revealed to us in this issue of Avenging that Peter did in fact let Steve know who he was again some time after OMD. I think the last time Peter’s age was ever explicitly stated, not counting the “mid twenties” bit, was where during Zdarsky’s run on Spectacular during the time travel storyline, it is stated it has been 15 years since the bite, putting Pete at 30 during that storyline. I know Pete’s age is never concrete, as is the same with most of the Marvel characters lol. Can’t wait for Pete’s recovery!