Thread: Kang

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Kang

So I find it almost criminal no-one has really been talking about the Kang Mini that just came out. I thought it was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    So I find it almost criminal no-one has really been talking about the Kang Mini that just came out. I thought it was fantastic.
    I agree. And the Timeless follow-up was even better.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

BANNED

I didn't find the mini as good as the one shot namely because you can see from a mile off that the younger Kang is going to become the adult Kang and also it retcons Ravonna"s origin pointlessly making it more convoluted and making her a plot device for kangs motivation and for the plot to occur without much of an agency or say in her fate much like Kang himself. It almost makes me think that Kang wouldn't have been satisfied with any one Ravonna. but would have created a harem of them but he was **** out of luck as not even a single one would give herself to him. It also neglected to include the bit about the Ravonna who was Kang and had killed all of the council of kangs to get at him and ended being the one who looked after Kang who this time got injured saving her which was a disappointment to say the least.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

This series made me a Kang fan. A friend and I (who doesn't really read comics) really loved it. I hope there's some chance "Never love" becomes one of Kang's catchphrases or at least makes it in the MCU...

Quote Originally Posted by Wat View Post
    I didn't find the mini as good as the one shot namely because you can see from a mile off that the younger Kang is going to become the adult Kang and also it retcons Ravonna"s origin pointlessly making it more convoluted and making her a plot device for kangs motivation and for the plot to occur without much of an agency or say in her fate much like Kang himself. It almost makes me think that Kang wouldn't have been satisfied with any one Ravonna. but would have created a harem of them but he was **** out of luck as not even a single one would give herself to him. It also neglected to include the bit about the Ravonna who was Kang and had killed all of the council of kangs to get at him and ended being the one who looked after Kang who this time got injured saving her which was a disappointment to say the least.
    I thought it was a back-story that had already played out before his first appearance in Avengers #8 - a reason behind Kangs firm loss of empathy and why he never does anything else but have contests in the time stream, endless, and pointless. Because he has no love, which is what his duel with Ravonna was about in the time stream. I think it, Kang the series, was supposed to give us an insight into the motivation of Kang post-failure to obtain Ravonna. He is this pathetic, unmotivated, bully.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Well, I'm not quite as negative on it but essentially that seems to be what the story is about. Kang is constantly trying to prove his worth over and over again. When you think about it, Kang's big boost into this life was when he came across Doom's time machine.

Over the years, other writers expanded on his origin so that these days he's called Nathaniel Richards. Other writers weren't so quick to latch on to this as the final word, as in Roger Stern and Kurt Busiek's Avengers Forever #9. I prefer to always go back to what Stan and Jack came up with. They don't name his ancestor but it's clear from Kirby's drawing that we are looking at the ruins of a castle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I thought it was a back-story that had already played out before his first appearance in Avengers #8 - a reason behind Kangs firm loss of empathy and why he never does anything else but have contests in the time stream, endless, and pointless. Because he has no love, which is what his duel with Ravonna was about in the time stream. I think it, Kang the series, was supposed to give us an insight into the motivation of Kang post-failure to obtain Ravonna. He is this pathetic, unmotivated, bully.
    Not to mention a deluded poor sore loser.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Well, I'm not quite as negative on it but essentially that seems to be what the story is about. Kang is constantly trying to prove his worth over and over again. When you think about it, Kang's big boost into this life was when he came across Doom's time machine.

Over the years, other writers expanded on his origin so that these days he's called Nathaniel Richards. Other writers weren't so quick to latch on to this as the final word, as in Roger Stern and Kurt Busiek's Avengers Forever #9. I prefer to always go back to what Stan and Jack came up with. They don't name his ancestor but it's clear from Kirby's drawing that we are looking at the ruins of a castle.

Not to mention the additional wrinkles supplied by young avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

What comic was the Kirby extract from?