Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default President of Production at The Rock’s Seven Bucks Productions Wants To Adapt KC

You guys are in a unique position right now where I think if Dwayne decided he wanted to make whatever the movie was tomorrow, someone would come in and finance it. But if you could get the financing to make anything right now, what would you make and why?

GARCIA: Anything at all regardless of IP and so forth?

Yeah. What's the dream project?

GARCIA: Look, I think the dream project that's something we've always spoken about at Seven Bucks, we would love to make someday, which is a tougher ambition due to, obviously, IP and rules and so forth, but always been obsessed with Kingdom Come, the Mark Waid/Alex Ross joint that those guys did. I think that storyline was always so compelling. We've always envisioned it as kind of an epic, multi-film saga. I think that's something we've always dreamed of being able to do. If there was ever a dream project, and not trying to start a fire where it's like we're gunning after that, because it's just pie in the sky, you'd love to be able to tell the story, and I always admired that story of the juxtaposition of old-school heroes versus new-school heroes and how they clash and a world so divided in terms of how they view what is justice now and what was it and what should it be. It’s always just always something very compelling in the big, cataclysmic mash-up of old versus new. That's something that, look, in a perfect world, we could do it, would love to do it.
    Interview here

Imagine if the Krypto movie being a success led to WB green lighting an animated adaption of Kingdom Come. That would be a wild turn of events.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think Bruce Timm went on the record as saying they could never adapt Kingdome Come as a DTV because you'd need a movie-level budget to pull it off.

Live action KC would probably be easier than animation because to do it animated, you'd basically need to recreate the artstyle which I just can't see happening unless you turn it into a huge production

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Bruce Timm went on the record as saying they could never adapt Kingdome Come as a DTV because you'd need a movie-level budget to pull it off.
    Of course the animated division has long since abandoned trying to recreate the art styles of what they adapt…
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Live action KC would probably be easier than animation because to do it animated, you'd basically need to recreate the artstyle which I just can't see happening unless you turn it into a huge production
    Guess they could always bring back Routh for this and do it as an HBO Max series. Still think a big budget animated trilogy is more likely however. Aren’t their rumors WB is planning a bunch of animated DC adaptions? This could be one of them.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

You'd hope after the success of Into the SPider-Verse, WB would actually open their damned purse for it !

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The only way to do it would be animated. Simply because it would clearly be aimed at fans and not "normies". That having been said, there's no way they would be able to duplicate Ross's art style.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    You'd hope after the success of Into the SPider-Verse, WB would actually open their damned purse for it !
    Well, I think Super Pets might be a major step in that direction.

I have various issues with the story, but overall would welcome it. And if it does get made as a big-budget movie, that makes me even happier that Bruce Timm didn't adapt it himself as a 75-minute movie years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I have various issues with the story, but overall would welcome it. And if it does get made as a big-budget movie, that makes me even happier that Bruce Timm didn't adapt it himself as a 75-minute movie years ago.
    I think the future of Superman looks brightest in animation, not live action at this point. Blur Studio could probably make a kickass Kingdom Come adaption in CGI.

Well, I think Super Pets might be a major step in that direction.
    Feel like that’s going to be the project that determines whether WB invests heavily into animated movies for theaters/HBO Max or not

Extraordinary Member

Why would anyone want to adapt that? It was fine as is, doesn't need to be adapted, won't benefit by being adapted, and frankly is more than a bit of a downer. Honestly, the shadow of the MCU hangs over the DCEU like an albatross. Frankly, if I were the Rock, I'd be more concerned with getting enough people in to see Black Adam, which is by no means certain in a world where people are burned out by unoriginal, and frankly mediocre comic book movies, and expect movies on the level of the best of the MCU, which WB has yet to show it can do.

And, as an aside, I think we're approaching peak Dwayne Johnson. He's this generation's Arnold, wildly popular for a period of a bit more than a decade, and then he'll be over as the public gets bored with him and moves on. He's a decent actor with a ton of charisma, but he's not say a Tom Cruise or Harrison Ford, able to back it up with enough acting talent to keep people interested, and enough talent to reinvent himself as an actor as needed.
    Last edited by achilles; 01-02-2022 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Why would anyone want to adapt that? It was fine as is, doesn't need to be adapted, won't benefit by being adapted, and frankly is more than a bit of a downer. Honestly, the shadow of the MCU hangs over the DCEU like an albatross. Frankly, if I were the Rock, I'd be more concerned with getting enough people in to see Black Adam, which is by no means certain in a world where people are burned out by unoriginal, and frankly mediocre comic book movies, and expect movies on the level of the best of the MCU, which WB has yet to show it can do.

And, as an aside, I think we're approaching peak Dwayne Johnson. He's this generation's Arnold, wildly popular for a period of a bit more than a decade, and then he'll be over as the public gets bored with him and moves on. He's a decent actor with a ton of charisma, but he's not say a Tom Cruise or Harrison Ford, able to back it up with enough acting talent to keep people interested, and enough talent to reinvent himself as an actor as needed.
    …the same reason people want to see an adaption of anything? It’s cool to see a story you like in another medium where it can reach a wider audience?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    …the same reason people want to see an adaption of anything? It’s cool to see a story you like in another medium where it can reach a wider audience?
    You run into the same problem DC and WB have had since launching the DCEU; their reach exceeds their grasp. They're trying to do a story that worked for comic book fans because they knew in depth most things about the most important characters, even the lower tier ones. The emotional impact that story had on those who knew the characters is nothing like the one it will have for people who will look at it and wonder why Superman is such a mopey dork here, why Batman's a dick...er no, no one will wonder at that one by now, but you get the point. Captain Atom's fate will be meaningless to general audiences who don't know the character or care one bit about him because in this story he's only there to die. He hasn't been developed like the MCU was by the time they got to essentially their version of KC, Endgame. If Marvel had started with that movie, yeah, they would have still gotten a lot of money for the spectacle of it all, but not nearly what they did by taking the time to make general audiences get to know and care enough about characters like Tony Stark that his fate was genuinely gutting.

You could make KC work, but you'd have to set the table for it. The Rock's team seems to want to have their feast before even purchasing the ingredients, let alone cooking it.

I hope it’s adapted with all the love, care, consideration, and talent that went into The Killing Joke and Injustice

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    You run into the same problem DC and WB have had since launching the DCEU; their reach exceeds their grasp. They're trying to do a story that worked for comic book fans because they knew in depth most things about the most important characters, even the lower tier ones. The emotional impact that story had on those who knew the characters is nothing like the one it will have for people who will look at it and wonder why Superman is such a mopey dork here, why Batman's a dick...er no, no one will wonder at that one by now, but you get the point. Captain Atom's fate will be meaningless to general audiences who don't know the character or care one bit about him because in this story he's only there to die. He hasn't been developed like the MCU was by the time they got to essentially their version of KC, Endgame. If Marvel had started with that movie, yeah, they would have still gotten a lot of money for the spectacle of it all, but not nearly what they did by taking the time to make general audiences get to know and care enough about characters like Tony Stark that his fate was genuinely gutting.

You could make KC work, but you'd have to set the table for it. The Rock's team seems to want to have their feast before even purchasing the ingredients, let alone cooking it.
    So far the rock's seems to be the only one batting for superman these days.So,i think he might actually set up things..Kingdom come is like 4 issues.That's not nearly enough to build 2 hour movie.They will need to expand on things ofcourse and certain things will be changed,i am sure.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"