Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    But is that true for Thor? I don't think so
    I believe it is as per the scans I've seen regarding this particular topic. But I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    when has Thor directly control solar radiation? I thought his powers were basic weather thunder, lightning, wind etc.
    Here you go

Transmutation

I think one of the reasons why people don't like Thor and Storm/etc. being lumped into the same category of godhood is because Thor's feats are on another level consistently.I urge you to read the answer by Ankit which has dozens of scans showing what Thor can do and he doesn't need the faith of people like Storm vs Adversary feat

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-...-in-the-comics

Thor literally survived being inside the Godbomb which was going to kill all gods across space and time becoming the God of Gods

Another shorter read

https://www.quora.com/How-powerful-i...hattacharya-19

Thor is just on another level

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    The only thing I would add to this is that from that worship you are empowered beyond your normal levels, whatever that may be. I'm pretty sure the young mutants on Krakoa worshiped/has faith Magneto and even for all his power he does not gain further power from their worship.
    Yeah, that's one way to define God I think.

I think people who get power from worship can ascend into godhood when they get said worship, while some "Gods" don't need it.Also aside from TOAA/TOBA we don't have the GOD, they are all aliens in a way.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 12-30-2021 at 10:46 PM.

Amazing Member

Warning jumbled thoughts incoming...

Thor and Storm are both very powerful gods: Thor being the "God of Thunder" of the Norse Pantheon and Storm being the Hadari-Yao (Sky Walker who preserves the balance of nature) of the Wakandan Pantheon.

They both preside over the domain of controlling, manipulating and generating the forces of weather and the elements. Over the years we have seen that their shared dominion has vast capabilities allowing them to control even the underlying processes that make up the individual elements or the individual components of a storm.

Both also have magical abilities although Storm's are mostly unexplored.

But in my opinion what separates the two of them is the nature of and the acceptance of their godhood.

Thor regardless of who his mother is (ugh, stupid ugly retcon) was a god from birth his parents themselves being either a god, an elder goddess or a fiery cosmic entity.

Storm was born a human a genetic mutant with the potential to ascend to godhood being apart of her ancestry. Her father was human her mother was a royal princess and a sorcerous priestess dedicated to the elder goddess Oshtur. Her mother was also a descendant from a long line of Rain Queens at least one who also served as Earth's Sorceress Supreme.

For most of her life Storm was unaware of what she had the potential to be as the one person able to tell and teach her was dead. It wasn't til she broke in to one of Apocalypse's temples that she discovered a small part of what her future and potential held.

She would go on to be worshipped by a small village serving as their "rain goddess" but she was still very human and when recruited by Xavier he told her that she was only human only a mutant and she believed him for years afterward leading to an internalized battle within herself.

So we get the conflict being what she thought she was with what she was told she was.

And that was pretty much her story back and forth between the two poles until Black Panther and the Adversary. T'Challa reveal to her the true nature of ancestry well at least the part in particular her role within the Wakandan Pantheon she acended to godhood shortly after.

Within the Marvel Universe you can ascend to godhood through the process of apotheosis this will at sometime in the future happen to Franklin Richards and Wiccan. We have even seen it in the pages of X-Men happen to Jean Grey when she became White Phoenix of the Crown.

However, Storm still has the central conflict of how she sees herself the Goddess vs Human/Mutant and this naturally limits herself.

She is at times reluctant to except the responsibilities of being the Hadari-Yao. We seen parts of that internal struggle within the pages of Black Panther and in even in the last few issues of SWORD in her battle with Tarn.

IMO Tarn basically to her to "Know your Worth".

Thor is a god who lives as a god.

Storm is a goddess who lives as a human.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Warning jumbled thoughts incoming...

Thor and Storm are both very powerful gods: Thor being the "God of Thunder" of the Norse Pantheon and Storm being the Hadari-Yao (Sky Walker who preserves the balance of nature) of the Wakandan Pantheon.

They both preside over the domain of controlling, manipulating and generating the forces of weather and the elements. Over the years we have seen that their shared dominion has vast capabilities allowing them to control even the underlying processes that make up the individual elements or the individual components of a storm.

Both also have magical abilities although Storm's are mostly unexplored.

But in my opinion what separates the two of them is the nature of and the acceptance of their godhood.

Thor regardless of who his mother is (ugh, stupid ugly retcon) was a god from birth his parents themselves being either a god, an elder goddess or a fiery cosmic entity.

Storm was born a human a genetic mutant with the potential to ascend to godhood being apart of her ancestry. Her father was human her mother was a royal princess and a sorcerous priestess dedicated to the elder goddess Oshtur. Her mother was also a descendant from a long line of Rain Queens at least one who also served as Earth's Sorceress Supreme.

For most of her life Storm was unaware of what she had the potential to be as the one person able to tell and teach her was dead. It wasn't til she broke in to one of Apocalypse's temples that she discovered a small part of what her future and potential held.

She would go on to be worshipped by a small village serving as their "rain goddess" but she was still very human and when recruited by Xavier he told her that she was only human only a mutant and she believed him for years afterward leading to an internalized battle within herself.

So we get the conflict being what she thought she was with what she was told she was.

And that was pretty much her story back and forth between the two poles until Black Panther and the Adversary. T'Challa reveal to her the true nature of ancestry well at least the part in particular her role within the Wakandan Pantheon she acended to godhood shortly after.

Within the Marvel Universe you can ascend to godhood through the process of apotheosis this will at sometime in the future happen to Franklin Richards and Wiccan. We have even seen it in the pages of X-Men happen to Jean Grey when she became White Phoenix of the Crown.

However, Storm still has the central conflict of how she sees herself the Goddess vs Human/Mutant and this naturally limits herself.

She is at times reluctant to except the responsibilities of being the Hadari-Yao. We seen parts of that internal struggle within the pages of Black Panther and in even in the last few issues of SWORD in her battle with Tarn.

IMO Tarn basically to her to "Know your Worth".

Thor is a god who lives as a god.

Storm is a goddess who lives as a human.
    This pretty much sums it up perfectly.

Thread has just been shut down. lol

Though i would add thor was raised as a god from birth and for millennia so that in of itself also is a big difference but it again ties directly into your point of a goddess who lives as a human. For all intents storm was an orphan goddess as we know her godhood was a birthright, another important distinction between just being a powerful being who transcends on faith only so in that sense, like thor, storm was always a goddess/demi-goddess which may explain her excellent coordination and memory recall from as early as 6 months. and the rest is how you say.
    Last edited by jwatson; 12-30-2021 at 11:09 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Both STORM I LOVE IT!!!
    The Nile is a major north-flowing river in northeastern Africa. It flows into the Mediterranean Sea. The longest river in Africa, it has historically been considered the longest river in the world.

Not just a River in Egypt.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Why are people so fixated on the goddess thing? Being a god in just like being an Eternal, an Inhuman or a Mutant in the MU... the character is a member of a race/species with innate powers...
    Because the divinity is part of her heritage, her ancestral heritage. It's an inheritance passed down on the matrilineal side of her family. So ys as a storm fan I believe it logical to fixate on it. if you do not like that why are you here then? You people like to complain for complaining sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    And only one is a God.
    You are right the other is a demi god whose mother has red hair and a proclivity for destruction.

In which fans argue over which terrible retcon is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    Because the divinity is part of her heritage, her ancestral heritage. It's an inheritance passed down on the matrilineal side of her family.
    ^^^so it’s an affectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    if you do not like that why are you here then?
    ^^^posters w. differing opinions are allowed to post in/on the same topics.

That said, my opinion is Thor is a god, Storm isn’t, this horse is dead and I won’t beat the poor thing, bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^so it’s an affectation.

^^^posters w. differing opinions are allowed to post in/on the same topics.

That said, my opinion is Thor is a god, Storm isn’t, this horse is dead and I won’t beat the poor thing, bye.
    You don't say

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    It's an interesting question because a "god" is a a god if and when others worship them.

Storm is worshipped so to me she is most definitely a god.

Thor is god because in the past people worshipped him, if they didn't he would be no different then a Beta Ray Bill or any other powerful alien.

Don't forget in the past royalty claimed divinity as their right to rule and once people stopped being scared that the royals were divine they were quickly overthrown.

Godliness comes from worship.
    Not really. Worship isn't enough. Gods are a species on their own right.

The gods thenselves think they are descended from Elder Gods like Gaia, Oshtur, C'thon, Set or Knull, beings similar to Cosmic Entities that helped shape the universe.

But Loki claims that gods are created and empowered by stories and belief.

The Deonists/Soul Survivors aliens claim that gods are a species that feeds on the latent psionic energies of their worshipers, adopting the guise of figures from their myths and religion in order to secure that worship.

It seems divinity itself is a specific mutation: The X-Men once fought a group of scientists that after being exposed to radiation mutated into duplicates of the Hindu pantheon, and Red Hulk fought a group of mutates who had become duplicates of the Mayan pantheon after consuming diluted terrigen mists during generations (they even got power from human sacrifice...).

So worship isn't enough. Ororo would need the special ability to absorb psionic power from worship.

It seems Coates intends her to have that power, but for other writers she's just a mutant whose family is favored by Oshtur or Gaia.

I would rather not have her be a true goddess unless she puts Wakanda first and above all other concerns... I wouldn't like is Wakandans became just a battery of sorts to strenghen her power while she spends all her efforts serving Krakoa...
    Last edited by Habis; 12-31-2021 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Before this turns into a vs battle I'd just pitch in and say this seems like a good breakdown

I don't think Thor has the versatility, sustainability or the nuance Storm has, whereas she doesn't have his sheer power and physical stats.

Thor could actually control Solar radiation and transmute stuff in comics, and usually holds back massively(1/3rd of his full power against mortals at best of smth) because he's afraid to hurt them.Kinda like Spidey of all people lmao
    Considering Thor lives in a world where everyone might as well be made of paper, makes sense he holds back lol.

when has Thor directly control solar radiation? I thought his powers were basic weather thunder, lightning, wind etc.
    When he's being written poorly then he can do little more than the basic of the basics of weather manipulation, I think under Aaron he generally does little more than thunder attacks.

The impression I get is that both Thor and Storm share the same basics of weather manipulation, but Storm is more flexible about it while Thor is more about brute force, I also don't think he's as limited about "rules" of weather manipulation.

But then again, since Storm got buffed to be an Omega level mutant, and Thor got thormented by being written by Aaron, I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up looking stronger than him, unless Cates' run on Thor buffed him a lot, which, if his run on Venom is any hint, he probably did lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Here you go

Transmutation

I think one of the reasons why people don't like Thor and Storm/etc. being lumped into the same category of godhood is because Thor's feats are on another level consistently.I urge you to read the answer by Ankit which has dozens of scans showing what Thor can do and he doesn't need the faith of people like Storm vs Adversary feat

Thor literally survived being inside the Godbomb which was going to kill all gods across space and time becoming the God of Gods

Another shorter read

I think people who get power from worship can ascend into godhood when they get said worship, while some "Gods" don't need it.Also aside from TOAA/TOBA we don't have the GOD, they are all aliens in a way.
    obviously Thor is on another level and is infinitely more powerful, while one is a real god, the other ( ororo) although powerful is the daughter of humans.

Thor has more merits of power and being also a class 100 flying brick in addition to being God is almost impossible to kill, storm is as easy to kill as with a simple stone on his head or a shot, easily assassinated something that would not happen with Thor.

Also, they have already met a couple of times and we know who wins and extremely easy, and it's odinson.

Also Storm in all future previews dies, old or in concentration camps, really to be a "goddess" is too deadly lol.
    but let's not kill their illusion.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    This surprises you? You have people who, if you followed their logic, characters like Emma Frost (diamond form) or Nezhno would be considered gods because they can take a punch from Hulk.

It's amazing how reading comprehension for some is so bad on a comic book forum. Even though it was flat out stated in the OP that this was not a VS thread by any means, you still have those rabid in their hate for Storm that they'd turn it into one just because they know in an out and out fight Storm would not win due to physicals.

In any case, whether people want to believe it or not, Storm is a Goddess. This is established canon and has been recognized by Marvel both pre-Hickman and current as well an official Marvel endorsed handbook. Whether people want to accept it or not is on them. As the saying goes "Facts don't care about feelings".

@Butterfly - Nice breakdown oh how their powers differ.
    Thank you very much sub as always you are stating the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    yes the red haired girl from 1,000,000 years ago there was awhole story. So thor mother is a mutant cave woman that phoenix empoweres 1,000,000 bc in aaron's avengers. Though i guess since his birth thor has died a few times so he could have transcended to full god but yes, he is a demi god otherwise.

edit: oh and he also has an external powerup. The odin force and mjonoir.
    thank you very much so this would make Thor a demigod.

Here you go

Transmutation

Another shorter read

thanks spider but I think you are missing the point of the op. Thor early on was not limited in the way ororo was in weather abilities as he could create it from nothing. however, as of recent as 2021 Thor in two instances has expressed some limits to his abilities where he has had to call on ororo. Perhaps Thor sees or senses something within ororo and he is seeking to pull it out of her. as I mentioned power of light shows one area where she excels is creating life sustaining weather/environments for dead planets. This is why thor called her to aid him.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Mighty Member

Well in thinking about the questioned that the op raised..

Using Hickman's terms, Storm is a weather manipulator, she psionically manipulates energy to produce weather effects... where as Thor under Hickman's classification would probably be called a Weather manifester. He manifest different weather patterns.

Its interesting that folks keep bringing up Thor's brick status when the op did not ever detract from the fact that thor is a powerhouse. They are curious about his weather abilities not the other abilities that he has.

Further, for me Storm is a swiss army knife. She can use and apply her powers in so many ways.. She is a scalpel, a laser, a wrench, a pliers, a sledge hammer, etc etc where as Thor seems to be very much about sheer force and powerful.. Like thor powers are like a jackhammer or bulldozer for me.

Further, if we think about Storm power wise. Weather is a really a by product of what her powers do as she basically gets in synch with environments and then manipulates the dominate forces of those environments. Thor doesn't do that.. He goes to space.. there is gonna be a tornado, he goes to another dimension with different laws.. its still gonna be wind, rain and lighting where as storm abilities adjust and are reformatted to do what ever. So for me the biggest differences in their powers is adaption, fluidity, and flexibility.