Page 40 of 118 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Slott seems to be very busy with Spider-Man again. He's also writing a Peter/MJ story for the 60th anniversary anthology Amazing Fantasy#1000, and possibly a story in ASM 900 as I saw him listed there along with Wells and Daniel Kibbblesmith.
    I think this might be why we have a different writer for issues 47 and 48
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    47 variant by Dauterman

Got to say I love the DeFalco short sleeve one, Byrne, Onslaught, Jim Lee Reborn, Fourever 2018 and Claremont crop top.

Disappointed no 2099 version on show, loved that one as well.

The current dull one is relegated to behind the logo next to the heroes return suit.
    Larger version:

Funny, I didn't recall FF2099
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Lew Stringer, a British funny comics artist (Beano, Doctor Who Magazine, Viz, Buster) has bought a Dark Ages #1 blank variant, sketched Ben on the front and Sue on the back, and is selling it on eBay.
    http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.co...r-variant.html
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Larger version:

Funny, I didn't recall FF2099
    I remember buying that back in the day. It was written by Karl Kesel and Rick Leonardi was on the art for most of it. I thought it was pretty good and I have those issues packed away. I should pull them out since Marvel has never added the series to Marvel Unlimited. Unforunately it came out as the 2099 universe was at the beginning of the end. The editor of the line would get fired and lot of the talent quit, at least I recall Warren Ellis did.

BANNED

I really liked how they all had unique designs like the Torch has a flight/space suit.

26374427-A244-4972-A267-CB385D60EF28.jpg

The run is only 8 issues due to the cancellation of the line thanks to the firings and chaos but their story did continue in 2099 World of Tomorrow 8 issue mini series.

They haven’t shown up since but I’m hoping they return in the new Spider-Man 2099 mini series.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've barely read anything from the early years of Fantastic Four. Did Sue and Johnny have jobs before they went to space?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Did Sue and Johnny have jobs before they went to space?
    Sue tried her hand at acting. Johnny was still in (senior) high school and in Lee and Kirby's run later went to college where he met Wyatt Wingfoot.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I've barely read anything from the early years of Fantastic Four. Did Sue and Johnny have jobs before they went to space?
    Johnny worked in a mechanic shop souping up hotrods, but it was probably not a regular job. More of an association where Johnny would lend a hand on projects he was interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Sue tried her hand at acting. Johnny was still in (senior) high school and in Lee and Kirby's run later went to college where he met Wyatt Wingfoot.
    Lot of people talk about Sue deserving an academic qualification, like being a doctor or an archaelogist, or even some kind of scientist. But it seems as thoufh they are against a retcon. To me the facf that Sue apparently didn't have any aspirations before they went to space is a problem.

It's a huge thing missing in her characterization. Who would Sue be if she hadn't gained any powers? That should dictate what she does today outside the FF

Well, if she tried being an actress, maybe she'd have ended up following the same trajectory as Mary Jane Watson?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That's why I prefer the cartoon version where she did the team's PR.
    "Cable was right!"

I don't know how old Sue was supposed to be, but I'm guessing that Reed was at least in his late 30s right? Sue was probably old enough that she had to have some career goals right?

One of the interesting aspects of the Storm family is that Franklin Storm was a brilliant man but owed a lot of money before he went to prison. That should really be part of Sue's backstory before the Fantastic Four. That she had been trying to pay off their father's debts while also helping Johnny get through college. But all in all, it still seems like the disadvantage in status betwesn her and Reed is just way too big for modern society. In the 60s I understand the idea that maybe Sue didn't really have a career or aspirations, and she was just a pretty girl dating a successful and brilliant man. But I can't really cope with that.

Today she would certainly have been written as a scientist, but if it's too much of a retcon, I think her struggling with her father's debt kind of fills that whole

Fantastic Member

Finally showing Doom some respect.

Of course, that carelesss 'irrelevancy' verdict will do him in. But it was still cool to see the Doc hold his own.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

In the early days of the FF, we know that Johnny and Sue's parents weren't around. We never found out the whole story there until later in FF #32. Sue had to take care of her younger brother so she didn't go to college. I wish they would somehow fix that.

Sue and Johnny's father Dr. Franklin Storm was a well established surgeon. One evening while driving home from an evening out one of the tire's of their car had a blow out and crashed. They were taken to the hospital and Dr. Storm was able enough to perform surgery on his wife. But she didn't survive the operation. Feeling guilty of her death, he quit practicing medicine and started drinking and gambling. He got into debt with a gangster and one thing lead to another. When he couldn't repay his debt a hitman the loan shark threatened to kill the children. Dr Storm and the hitman fought and in the struggle the hitman ended up shooting himself with his own gun. Dr Storm was tried and found guilty of manslaughter and went to prison. As the oldest this left Sue in charge of her younger brother and they stayed in what people used to call a boarding house.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-18-2022 at 10:34 AM.