Page 55 of 118 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I hope so. that was stolen from Hank McCoy!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Reckoning War reads like something that could have been a really interesting story if it had had more time to breathe.

A few more ties in, a focus on some of the side characters to expand their role and explain more why they are doing what they are.

It's not often I want a big event, but this feels like it could have really done with a few more one shots.

As it is, everything feels rushed, things just happen and there doesnt feel like we're getting enough to really connect with the story.

Which is a real shame when you consider how long Slott has gone wanting to tell this story and I really am convinced there is a good story there if it wasn't all just rush rush rush.
    I agree with this take. The Heralds assaulting Asgard to recover the body of Galactus should have been it's own one shot. Even if we are supposed to believe the individual heralds have enough power collectively to "revive" him (they don't).

There were very interesting components to this tale, but it was executed so amatuerishly that I guess we don't have to wonder why Marvel did not make it the premier Summer event.

BANNED

I guess, if nothing else, the herald assault absent mindedly resurrected Morg. Which is a win in my book.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I hope so. that was stolen from Hank McCoy!
    Maybe the next writer will have her say "Oh my garters!"

I agree this does feel a bit rushed. I am enjoying it but it could have been spread out better.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

Ok. I'm gonna say something that probably won't be loved. I want Reed to be dead and stay dead. Change it all up. Not DeFalco search for Reed, but he's gone. At least until the movie

More than any other comic book cast perhaps, the FF suffer from the meme or trope that says they will never die,

It seemingly has happened to all of them, if only in small doses. Reed was gone for over a year. I -ahem- wanted Sue to move on with Namor, but I've always wanted that, snicker.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Unless I am mistaken, Susan is the only one not to have one of these comic book "deaths" Ben died during Mark Waid's run, Johnny in Jonathan Hickman's run and both came back rather quickly. Reed is back already in the next issue but I guess we have to see how that plays out.

Yes, Sue has only 'died' in what ifs or the plot about a future Sue, that I barely recall.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Yes, Sue has only 'died' in what ifs or the plot about a future Sue, that I barely recall.
    I remember that one mostly from Bryan Hitch's art, his Thing was weird though. Mark Millar's writing was not the best to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    Ok. I'm gonna say something that probably won't be loved. I want Reed to be dead and stay dead. Change it all up. Not DeFalco search for Reed, but he's gone. At least until the movie
    I dont want Reed to stay dead but I do see what your saying.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I remember that one mostly from Bryan Hitch's art, his Thing was weird though. Mark Millar's writing was not the best to say the least.
    The story lost a lot of appeal once it was realized it was a future Sue who was going to die. While future versions of characters dying isn't at the expected trope level, it was very easy to get all "meh" on this. However, the reaction and respect given future Sue after her death was something we don't often see expressed in so much detail. Millar did cover that feeling fairly well. And Sue telling Val to cut the crap and come out as a super-genius was a nice touch and something I can believe given Sue and Valeria's relationship. Millar's run was underwhelming, but his style really isn't a good fit for FF.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    She (And everyone else) "died" during Hickman's Secret Wars.

I guess the only perk of being the only woman on the team is that it looks bad if you kill her off. Not like most writers use her anyway...
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    I dont want Reed to stay dead but I do see what your saying.
    "Stay Dead?" I don't think such a thing exists in comics.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I get wanting Reed to die after Reckoning War but it would be unfair to fans of the character - who only got him back 4 years ago - and it would be unfair for the next writer.

I just hope the next run has less emphasis on him and focuses on the others. Particularly Sue and Johnny.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!