Page 3 of 118 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenXXX View Post
    https://www.gamesradar.com/fantastic...review-covers/

I would like to understand what role Franklin is in all this, all of his incarnations are on the cover, but the story is not about him at all.
    I thought it would be a story about Franklin's identity crisis or something, we're heading for that, but it doesn't look like it will be in this issue.
    Wow Johnny's written like a giant jackass...
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Just because he's not on the preview pages, it doesn't mean anything resembling the cover won't happen later in the issue.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Oh Johnny, you shove your dick in crazy who answers to someone even crazier AND 10 times more vain, put everyone's lives at risk by thinking sleeping with someone who knowingly and willingly answers to Doom is a good idea, and you proceed to whine about being trapped like that 24/7.

Our hero, everyone

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Just because he's not on the preview pages, it doesn't mean anything resembling the cover won't happen later in the issue.
    exactly. the preview even shows that the kids have to speak their truth in the custody hearing so i assume franklin will have his moment then

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenXXX View Post
    https://www.gamesradar.com/fantastic...review-covers/

I would like to understand what role Franklin is in all this, all of his incarnations are on the cover, but the story is not about him at all.
    I thought it would be a story about Franklin's identity crisis or something, we're heading for that, but it doesn't look like it will be in this issue.
    I wasn't expecting a Sue slap, but okay.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Oh Johnny, you shove your dick in crazy who answers to someone even crazier AND 10 times more vain, put everyone's lives at risk by thinking sleeping with someone who knowingly and willingly answers to Doom is a good idea, and you proceed to whine about being trapped like that 24/7.

Our hero, everyone
    I think I had a dog like that once...except the Doom part.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I think Johnny's Nova flame doesn't live up to it's name. I mean, if is as hot as an exploding sun, then ... well, he certainly couldn't use it while standing on Earth. But I agree. I think alot of the problem is due to writer's not wanting to deal with Johnny or doing so with the least amount of thought.

Iceman is now classified as an Omega Level Mutant, and by definition, that means his power is practically limitless -- it has an "undefinable upper limit of that power's specific classification." If that was the level of Johnny's flame, or even if was was powerful as it is now, then no, I don't think the Annihilus moment could have happened. Nothing could get close enough to hurt him without melting. He could have melted the entire asteroid / planet they were on.

That's my point. When you have characters that are so super-powered, they are LIMITED to fighting only OMG Extinction Level threats. My own personal preference is I don't usually enjoy books where every threat they face is EXTREME and escalating from there. But again, that's just me.
    I get what you're saying, and I agree. There is an aspect of fan's creating "darlings" out of their favourite characters, which is how you get a nigh-invincible Wolverine or a "Bat-God". The problem with Johnny, and the Thing for that matter, is that the rest of the MU has continually grown in power while they seem to be standing still. The Thing is hopelessly outmatched by a modern Hulk, when it used to be an exciting match-up when they met back in the day. (you and I know Namor suffers from this as well) Johnny's flame powers have always been portrayed as less than they should be, imo. We get a silly cartoon idea of a "fire-guy" that can just be "put out" with a strong wind or throwing water on him of something. People don't seem to really get a sense of how horrifying a flaming man who can control fire would really be, both us as readers and people in-universe. Plus Johnny has had these powers for so long now he should be an absolute master and terrifying to anyone coming up against him. I often get more of a sense of the real scope of this power when I read stories with the original Human Torch, Jim Hammond.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

My apologies to those who despised this change, but I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post

I loved it too. I wish it would happen again.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Although if he mutates past that it could be problematic lol

82826100-75C4-456E-8F54-C07BB48569C0.jpg
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I can't remember a more significant upgrade to his strength and invulnerablity. I liked this time too.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I definitely agree with the Thing needing a power up but I didn't like the physical change. It was too off putting to me. Just give him the power up.

I have to find the issue but I remember when he was in the New Avengers, somehow it was implied that Luke Cage was stronger than the Thing which IMO made no sense. But it was Bendis. I doubt Luke can lift in the 100 ton range like the Thing is ranked. I think Ben may be above Namor except under water. But Luke Cage is definitely in a level below theirs but I'd say just above Spider-Man.

I wasn't crazy about it when it happened, but honestly, it doesn't seem like that big of a different from his previous state. The increase in strength and toughness was welcome, though. The Thing should be a powerhouse who may not be exactly Hulk or Thor level, but with grit, he's certainly able to give them a run for their money. Also with so many Marvel characters all being class 100 strength, Ben should be a bit above that level. I'm pretty sure it's tougher to draw but since I'm not an artist, I'm cool with it.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Thanks for posting this, I was starting to think this Ben Grimm look above was something I imagined, as I couldn't find any reference to it online!!! It's different to the spikey Thing, with the rocks on his body smooth again, but with weird rock "suspenders." What issue did this look first appear in, and was the change explained?

Also, I dunno why, but as a kid I always referred to the spikey Thing form as "Pineapple Thing."
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

A lot of people called him Pineapple Thing. I'd heard that one myself back in the day.

That's definitely Walt Simonson on the art so it has to be from his brief run. The Time Variance Authority shows up at the end of the fabled time duel between Reed and Victor in FF#352, which had drawn their attention. Prior to that, Ben was using the Thing suit and was in his human form. In issue #350 he subjects himself being transformed into the Thing again, but his transformation looks different from both the original and Spikey thing. I don't know if it has an official name. But he did it so that Sharon Ventura wouldn't feel as miserable if he transformed back into the Thing too. I guess Reed just happens to have a device just laying around that can do it because he just goes to their lab and subjects himself to it's effects.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-14-2022 at 02:31 PM.