Page 1 of 118 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default World's Greatest Comic: The Fantastic Four Appreciation 2022

Marvel's First Family the Fantastic Four debuted in issue #1 of their self-titled comic in November of 1961 the same year that saw John F. Kennedy take the oath of office of President of the United States. Their origins are intricately tied to the birth of the Marvel Universe that we know today. From the depths of Atlantis to the Watcher's home on the Blue area of the Moon and to the fabled kingdoms of Latveria and Wakanda, the Inhuman's city fortress of Atillan and the antimatter universe of the Negative Zone, we saw the grand tapestry unfold through the eyes of these four adventurers, or Imaginauts as Mark Waid would later call them.

When Stan and Jack weren't busy creating new characters for the FF to meet, they also made sure that any new Marvel character from another fledgling title had to make their acquaintance with Reed, Ben, Johnny and Sue. Spider-Man wanted to try out for the team. The founding members of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four joined forces to try and hunt down a wayward Hulk. Reed and Ben's former Empire State University classmate Victor Von Doom would become arguably one of Marvel's, if not comicdom's greatest villain. Johnny would have a chance meeting with a bearded stranger in a New York flop house that would lead to the return of the Golden Age anti-hero known as the Sub-Mariner. Cosmic entities like The Watcher and Galactus are on speaking terms with the Fantastic Four. Oh, and as for my mentioning JFK earlier, even President Kennedy made a cameo appearance in FF #17.

Now on the eve of the publication of FF #587, we are told that the old order shall changeth. Not that it hasn't happened before...Ben was on the verge of giving up for good quite often before he became comfortable in his rocky skin. Reed was considered dead and was absent from the title for two years. Sue was estranged from Reed and left the team when Reed had to put power dampeners on their son Franklin. She Hulk, Luke Cage, Medusa were some of the more notable replacement members. But it always came back to the original four....until now. According to Marvel, one of them will die and the Fantastic Four title, dubbed by Stan Lee as "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine" will make way for the enigmatically titled "FF" in March of 2011. Roster changes are nothing new to titles like the Avengers or the X-Men but with the FF it's always different, more personal. It will be a loss of a family member.

Well, I guess I will just end this opening post with a little contribution paying tribute to the work of Jack Kirby, who along with Stan Lee co-created the FF. If a picture is worth a thousand words, I think Kirby has about 10 thousand or so packed in to this ...

-- Iron Maiden's first post of the original World's Greatest Comic Magazine thread.

Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2021 at 10:35 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

FAVORITE FANTASTIC FOUR RUNS!
    According to 5717 voters

1 John Byrne 28.0% 1599
    2 Jonathan Hickman 24.8% 1417
    3 Stan Lee and Jack Kirby 17.4% 995
    4 Mark Waid 10.1% 579
    5 Stan Lee 6.7% 383
    6 Mark Millar 2.5% 145
    7 Walt Simonson 2.1% 119
    8 Matt Fraction 1.8% 103
    9 Chris Claremont 1.2% 67
    10 Tom DeFalco 1.1% 65
    11 J. Michael Straczynski 0.9% 50
    12 Roy Thomas 0.7% 41
    13 Karl Kesel 0.6% 33
    14 Carlos Pacheco and Rafael Marin 0.5% 29
    15 Steve Englehart 0.4% 23
    16 Marv Wolfman 0.4% 21
    17 Gerry Conway 0.3% 16
    18 Carlos Pacheco and Jeph Loeb 0.3% 15
    19 Scott Lobdell 0.2% 14
    20 Doug Moench 0.1% 3

READING LIST: The Greatest "Fantastic Four" Writers, Ever by Marc Buxton@CBR

Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2021 at 10:34 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

COLLECTED EDITIONS

Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v01
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v02
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v03
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v04
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v05
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v06
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v07
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v08
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v09
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v10
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v11
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v12
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v13
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v14
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v15
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v16
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v17
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v18
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v19
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v20
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v21
    Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four v22

Epic Collections FF v1: The World’s Greatest Comic Magazine: FF #1-18
    Epic Collections FF v2: The Master Plan of Doctor Doom: FF #19-32 & Annual 1-2
    Epic Collections FF v3: The Coming of Galactus: FF #33-51 & Annual 3
    Epic Collections FF v4: The Mystery of the Black Panther: FF #52-67 & Annual 4-5, material from Not Brand Echh (1967) #1 & 5
    Epic Collections FF v5: By Ben Betrayed: FF #68-?, pending full issue range

Epic Collections FF v17: All in the Family (ISBN 978-0785188650): FF #296-307 & Annual 20
    Collects Fantastic Four (1961) #296-307 & Annual 20 and Fantastic Four vs. The X-Men #1-4
    Epic Collections FF v18: The More Things Change…: FF #308-320 & Annual 21
    Collects Fantastic Four (1961) #308-320 & Annual 21; Incredible Hulk (1968) #350; and Marvel Graphic Novel: Hulk/Thing – The Big Change

Epic Collections FF v20: Into the Timestream: FF #334-346 & Annual #23
    Also includes Days of Future Past material from New Mutants Annual 6, X-Factor Annual 5, and Uncanny X-Men Annual 14.
    Epic Collections FF v21: The New Fantastic Four: FF #347-361, Annual 24, and material from Marvel Holiday Special #1.

Epic Collections FF v25: Strange Days: FF #403-416
    Also collects Fantastic Four: The Legend, Onslaught: Marvel Universe, and material from Tales of the Marvel Universe

Fantastic Four Omnibus v1 Lee & Kirby
    Fantastic Four Omnibus v2 Lee & Kirby
    Fantastic Four Omnibus v3 Lee & Kirby

Fantastic Four Visionaries: George Perez v1
    Fantastic Four Visionaries: George Perez v2

Fantastic Four Omnibus v1 John Bryne
    Fantastic Four Omnibus v2 John Bryne

Fantastic Four Visionaries: Walt Simonson v1
    Fantastic Four Visionaries: Walt Simonson v2
    Fantastic Four Visionaries: Walt Simonson v3

Fantastic Four Omnibus Waid & Wieringo

Fantastic Four Omnibus v1 Jonathan Hickman
    Fantastic Four Omnibus v2 Jonathan Hickman

Fantastic Four Omnibus Matt Fraction

The X-Men vs. The Fantastic Four
    Classic Thing v1
    Classic Thing v2
    Thing () by Dan Slott
    Thing Freakshow
    Fantastic Four Unstable Molecules
    Fantastic Four 1234
    Fantastic Four True Story
    The World’s Greatest Comic Magazine
    Fantastic Four: Foes

Marvel Knights Fantastic Four v1: Wolf at the Door
    Marvel Knights Fantastic Four v2: The Stuff of Nightmares
    Marvel Knights Fantastic Four, v3: Divine Time
    Marvel Knights Fantastic Four, v4: Impossible Things Happen Every Day
    Marvel Knights Fantastic Four, v5: The Resurrection of Nicholas Scratch

Crushing Krisis Guide to Collecting Fantastic Four comic books as Graphic Novels
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2021 at 10:33 PM.

RECOMMENDATIONS

Fantastic Four #4 - the introduction of Namor the Sub-Mariner into the Silver Age
    Fantastic Four #5 - first appearance of Doctor Doom

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fantastic
    John Byrne, who, in addition to helming unarguably one of my utmost favorite FF creative runs, also penned and illustrated what I, about 95% without hesitance, proclaim to be the finest FF issue and story ever conceived in FF #236/"Terror in a Tiny Town." I can't express this enough: Read FF #236 asap. You won't thank me enough when you do...it is that thoroughly splendid an issue/story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Besides the Lee/Kirby/Romita/Buscema and the Byrne run.
    A very underappreciated run is the Thomas/Wein/Wolfman run from the late '70s.
    FF #160 - #220
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2021 at 10:32 PM.

Happy New Year, fellow FF fans!

First posts are still under construction. Iron Maiden has some cool things to add, and I've some updating to do, again.

But we are starting 2022 out with hopefully a bang in Slott's FF Reckoning War event!

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-preview-pages

Reckoning War looks so epic!

*settles into the new home thread for this board*

I miss my old chair. (Name that quote)

I look forward to the Reckoning War, and also getting a couple more Epic collections this year. The only backlog one I’m missing is the Black Panther one (v5 I think) and it’s finally getting reprinted this year.

Happy New Year to the FF and their fans .

I hope Johnny keeps his power boost and instead of being cured, he learns to control it.

He should be Iceman levels of power but with fire.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenXXX View Post
    Reckoning War looks so epic!
    I do like that last image. I think it is by Carlo Magno, who really does put an amazing amount of detail into his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    *settles into the new home thread for this board*

I miss my old chair. (Name that quote)

I look forward to the Reckoning War, and also getting a couple more Epic collections this year. The only backlog one I’m missing is the Black Panther one (v5 I think) and it’s finally getting reprinted this year.
    It really does feel that way for the appreciation thread reboots, doesn't it? Resettling in.

Hmmmm. Doesn't quite sound like Ben Grimm.

Been holding off on most of the FF Epic Collections. At some point, I need to sit down and map out what issues I have in what trades. I have a bunch of the Masterworks, and most of the Omnibus, so I'm sure I've got some double dipping going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I hope Johnny keeps his power boost and instead of being cured, he learns to control it.

He should be Iceman levels of power but with fire.
    I feel like he already was...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like he already was...
    Iceman is freezing planets and practically can't die in ice form.

Johnny by comparison has been less impressive. He usually goes nova, which isn't as effective as it was decades ago, and then faints from it. It's said that he has the power of a sun, but it's never really shown. I want to see that explosive, immense power not told he has it. He was honestly more impressive in the silver age than he is in modern Marvel, which is weird considering he should be getting stronger like the other members of the FF.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Yes. But Ben was more impressive too back then. It seems that he is never quite as strong in fights with various foes.

Conversely Sue is more powerful today than previously but

I think all of these characters are subject to device and thus their powers range to fit the story.
    I always thought that Sue's saving of them from a nuke, way back around v.1 # 40 (?) was way awesome. Some other things happened in the 10 or so years from that.
    Making Attilan invisible around # 159, but with a device on her head, which accounts for an increase in these abilities afterwards.

So I mostly now think that cosmic rays/whatever has slowly mutated them more over years. Why Ben is 'immortal' perhaps. Doom's device must have accelerated what the cosmic was doing to Johnny, and it did happen before too during the Englehart era.
    I have this weird idea that Reed's consciousness and all it's intellect are embedded or within each and every molecule of his body
    so in addition to being elastic (and he has perhaps more slowly advanced those abilities ... but) his being is enfused with his superior mind.
    Just more of what he is.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Iceman is freezing planets and practically can't die in ice form.

Johnny by comparison has been less impressive. He usually goes nova, which isn't as effective as it was decades ago, and then faints from it. It's said that he has the power of a sun, but it's never really shown. I want to see that explosive, immense power not told he has it. He was honestly more impressive in the silver age than he is in modern Marvel, which is weird considering he should be getting stronger like the other members of the FF.
    I feel like it's probably a case of seeing ice powers as more non-lethal and solid and not necessarily as destructive as flame powers can be if left unchecked. Like, maybe Johnny has enough skill and finesse to not go over that line, but it might be hard to depict that without giving him an excuse or stuff to burn or go all out against.