Page 12 of 118 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He can't fly, so I'd imagine he's getting Alicia and the kids to safety.
    I was right. Of course the kids would rather fight the bad guys!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Reckoning War alpha was bland. I don't really care about the antagonists, nothing about them is interesting or new.

The scale of the threat is meant to be huge, but somehow it still feels unimportant. I think it's because we all know the universe won't be destroyed in the end, so big stories like this need to rely more on character interactions. Usually big events have an antagonist with personal history with the main hero so that there is more interest there than the scale. But this one doesn't have that. The bad guys are about getting revenge on the Watchers, who for the majority of Marvel have been aloof side characters.

What is interesting about this? Because it has not grabbed me at all.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Reckoning War alpha was bland. I don't really care about the antagonists, nothing about them is interesting or new.

The scale of the threat is meant to be huge, but somehow it still feels unimportant. I think it's because we all know the universe won't be destroyed in the end, so big stories like this need to rely more on character interactions. Usually big events have an antagonist with personal history with the main hero so that there is more interest there than the scale. But this one doesn't have that. The bad guys are about getting revenge on the Watchers, who for the majority of Marvel have been aloof side characters.

It was actually very good but I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Astonishing Member

Isn't that the cover to a one shot from the Earth X trilogy?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Isn't that the cover to a one shot from the Earth X trilogy?
    It IS Earth X related though I can't pinpoint which issue though. Maybe for a new Earth X collection/reprint in August.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

You are correct. However, it is a set-up issue so is basically putting most of the cards on the table time. I really doubt there are going to be many "permanent" or even long-term ramifications from this, but the important part of it for me is OG Nick Fury coming back.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    It IS Earth X related though I can't pinpoint which issue though. Maybe for a new Earth X collection/reprint in August.
    I think it was a one-shot or a special F4 issue.
    Universe X: 4 Vol 1 1

BANNED

The antagonists were easy to guess once it became clear that they were using the watchers technology. However they certainly didn't wage war on the other races but rather were reduced to rubble and visited by the watchers who viewing what they wrought through their interference swore their non interference oath. So you have another race like the cotati who were even pacific unlike this race that have been vilified and turned into a warlike race and the celestial bodies around the planet are once again threatened although this time the satellite actually does get destroyed. It also feels like Sport was hinting that the weapon used to stop the first war is the ultimate nullifier and perhaps at last we are getting the story behind how it was made and who made it and how it came into possession of Galactus. In other developments Reed has once again gained exponential knowledge and based on solicits it looks like he will become part of the problem due to the expository overload. Now all that remains is the mystery of how she Hulk is responsible for all this and what role is "zero energy" going to play in all this plus those entities seeking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wat View Post
    However they certainly didn't wage war on the other races but rather were reduced to rubble and visited by the watchers who viewing what they wrought through their interference swore their non interference oath.
    I remember the Watcher entry in the 80's Deluxe Handbook stating that the race did launch attacks on another world after it had its own planet-wide civil war. Slott expanding the mythos by spreading their warfare throughout most of the known universe, and the entire Watcher race quarantining them in a forgotten corner of the universe.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    G.I. Joe.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I remember that cover. That's from the Universe X series he did with Jim Kruegar. There were a lot of interlinking series...Paradise X, Universe X, Earth X.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-02-2022 at 10:19 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I remember the Watcher entry in the 80's Deluxe Handbook stating that the race did launch attacks on another world after it had its own planet-wide civil war. Slott expanding the mythos by spreading their warfare throughout most of the known universe, and the entire Watcher race quarantining them in a forgotten corner of the universe.
    Oh, but the original just had them fighting among themselves iirc.

I just checked my Handbook issue, it did say they fought another alien race. But just that one.
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.

Astonishing Member

In the current arc, the Moon has been destroyed. That certainly involves the destruction of Earth's ecosystems. Any idea about how it will be restored when this is over? I suppose that if the Watchers created a barrier to protect the world, I suppose they could restore the Moon too. And since this was their mess, their vow of "non interferance" can't apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    You are correct. However, it is a set-up issue so is basically putting most of the cards on the table time. I really doubt there are going to be many "permanent" or even long-term ramifications from this, but the important part of it for me is OG Nick Fury coming back.
    That, for me, is a HUGE deal. I just hope he grows his hair back again. He looks wierd bald with the eyepatch (and this comes from a follicaly challenged guy himself).

Peace