Page 54 of 118 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Have not been following Cantwell's Iron Man, but he sounds like a possibility.
    I noped out of that run early when he made Hellcat into a nagging harpy.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Well, as a BIG event, the Reckoning thing didn't resonate well with other tie ins or other comics, right? Just too contained for a big-touted event.

As fate had it, I actually showed up at my LCS yesterday and they could not sell me today's comics sniff.

Will anyone write a spoiler ish review (I never mind the spoilers, btw) ?
    Haha, yes please.

All-New Member

Worst ending EVAH! WHEN will we get over Sloots jive? Reed ,Doom, et. all get defeated ? Jack Kirby must be rolling in his grave. WOW! The next thing is , Making the Watchers the " Bad Guys" is lame. What did Super Galactis do anyway ? Johnny gets beat fast, Sue shows up great , and Ben goes down swinging . So now Reed is " Dead" , Ben is dying, Johnny is still supernova , and Sue is in pain. The Kids ? Yipes! Reed making that gate and him being a unfeeling asshole is NOT Reed. "The Reconning" should be more about Sloots Failure to Rep the FF!

Reed has been written as a giant a-hole and the villains are so dull.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I'm curious about this run because I just finished Infamous Iron Man and I love reading finished runs, is Slott's run worth digging into?

For example does Slott go into the FF rebuilding the multiverse and their time away from the 616?

Does Franklin and his Galactus connection grow?

What about Thing's annual humanization?

I don't really care about spoilers so feel free.

Also I generally really enjoy Slott, so would I enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I'm curious about this run because I just finished Infamous Iron Man and I love reading finished runs, is Slott's run worth digging into?

Personally, I think the first 5 issues are good and the wedding issue is the highlight of the entire run. Past that it's pretty mediocre imo.

As for your questions:

For example does Slott go into the FF rebuilding the multiverse and their time away from the 616?
    Only for the first 3 issues, after that it's not really brought up again

Does Franklin and his Galactus connection grow?
    Not brought up or explored in any way

What about Thing's annual humanization?
    Yes it is used and leads to decent confrontation with the Immortal Hulk

Also I generally really enjoy Slott, so would I enjoy it?
    If you enjoy his writing then you will probably at least like the first 5 issues, after that I don't know. Depends on what you're looking for in an FF book.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Personally, I think the first 5 issues are good and the wedding issue is the highlight of the entire run. Past that it's pretty mediocre imo.

As for your questions:

Only for the first 3 issues, after that it's not really brought up again

Not brought up or explored in any way

Yes it is used and leads to decent confrontation with the Immortal Hulk

If you enjoy his writing then you will probably at least like the first 5 issues, after that I don't know. Depends on what you're looking for in an FF book.
    Thanks for the response.

It sucks that it was only the first handful of issues where the fallout of Secret Wars is explored.

I don't have any expectation for the First Family I enjoy them simply because they are truly different from the rest of the "team books" because they are a family and I enjoy their interactions. My first foray into the FF was Hickman and then I worked my way backwards, I didn't like Millar, but I enjoyed Waid and JMS.

I may check it out simply because it is a pretty lengthy run and I enjoy closed runs, hopefully it has a stellar ending.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 06-15-2022 at 09:47 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Thanks for the response.

It sucks that it was only the first handful of issues where the fallout of Secret Wars is explored.

I don't have any expectation for the First Family I enjoy them simply because they are truly different from the rest of the "team books" because they are a family and I enjoy their interactions. My first foray into the FF was Hickman and then I worked my way backwards, I didn't like Millar, but I enjoyed Waid and JMS.

I may check it out simply because it is a pretty lengthy run and I enjoy closed runs, hopefully it has a stellar ending.
    I wouldn't count on it....I found the current issue pretty lackluster for what is supposed to be part of this grand finale to his run. It pales in comparison to Hickman's arc that began in Fantastic Four and then had to continue in New Avengers leading to a finale in Secret Wars. It was cancelled because of CEO Ike Perlmutter's decisions to close things down when negotiations were not going so well between Fox and Marvel/Disney and trying to get the movie rights back.

I think Reckoning War has been a missed opportunity for both Marvel and Slott. I think this storyline has everything to make a big summer event and if this had passed instead of AXE Judgment Day I think most of the tie-in issues in other series would make much more sense as I can see Slott had plans for many characters' role in this story.

The latest issue (#44), some of our characters took their turns against the main villain and some of them felled against him off panel. Johnny's hooray was cutted pretty abruptly, in the middle of dialogue even. Slott tried to show most of his ideas in only one monthly publication and this sadly resulted in very problematic pacing. Still, I cannot say I didn't enjoy reading Reckoning War issues.

No one can convince me that Slott was in a very big hurry. RW had great ideas, scale and potential but haste and fragmentation brought it all to naught

BANNED

Read 44

What a mess of ideas, bad dialogue and limp end.

I knew Slott wrote like a guy mimicking someone from the 60s living in 2022 but this was tough to read.

“This is the worst thing you’ve done”

Don’t think so pal.

Bring on the AXE tie ins and relaunch.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Reckoning War reads like something that could have been a really interesting story if it had had more time to breathe.

A few more ties in, a focus on some of the side characters to expand their role and explain more why they are doing what they are.

It's not often I want a big event, but this feels like it could have really done with a few more one shots.

As it is, everything feels rushed, things just happen and there doesnt feel like we're getting enough to really connect with the story.

Which is a real shame when you consider how long Slott has gone wanting to tell this story and I really am convinced there is a good story there if it wasn't all just rush rush rush.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    Read 44

What a mess of ideas, bad dialogue and limp end.

I knew Slott wrote like a guy mimicking someone from the 60s living in 2022 but this was tough to read.

“This is the worst thing you’ve done”

Don’t think so pal.

Bring on the AXE tie ins and relaunch.
    I agree. I had a hard time reading it too and it just was a chore to read it. I can't wait for this to be over.

The dialogue was the biggest problem IMO. All the Reckoning characters were interchangeable and none of them had a distinct persona. It wouldn't bother me if they never appeared again.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Reckoning War reads like something that could have been a really interesting story if it had had more time to breathe.

A few more ties in, a focus on some of the side characters to expand their role and explain more why they are doing what they are.

It's not often I want a big event, but this feels like it could have really done with a few more one shots.

As it is, everything feels rushed, things just happen and there doesnt feel like we're getting enough to really connect with the story.

Which is a real shame when you consider how long Slott has gone wanting to tell this story and I really am convinced there is a good story there if it wasn't all just rush rush rush.
    Tie ins would have helped.....especially if they weren't done by Slott

Do you think they'll drop "Oh My Stars" when Slott leaves ?