Page 209 of 833 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259309709 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 12488
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeraldOfStorm View Post
    In king in black too but not that impressive like man thing and Power of light.
    oh yea i forgot about that one!! I think.for that one they actually combined their powers.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    we've seen them team up twice in the new era?? power of light and man thing?
    Oh yeah I'm aware. I just mean I want something from the two of them that's "destructive" for lack of a better word. You have two storm gods who's powers function in totally different ways but usually get the same end result.

What we saw in KIB was, if I'm being generous, pathetic. It was something both of them could do without blinking an eye. The Man-Thing storyline was nice but again it was a more passive application to their powers. As epic as power of light was it really didn't show them working together so much as showing Thor being aware of the limits of his ability over the elements and going to Storm. A good showing for Storm but again, not really showing what would happen if two storm gods act without restraint against a enemy. Admittedly, no such enemy perhaps maybe Knull has presented them with that opportunity which is why I'm hoping they team up in Judgement day.

Give me this type of energy but with Thor and Storm.

This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I’m still bummed by the various writers obsession with the idea of turning Ororo into some kind of alley rat or a thug, I hate the knife fights she has to cyclically endure and I find some of the implications very racist and unbearably stereotyped. It’s really annoying, every time One expects Storm to “ascend” the powers in charge have to drag her down into the lame overplayed narrative of the street urchin.
    I mentioned it elsewhere but i (jokingly) think she could just delegated the Arraki knife fight challengers to Marrow, who is practically an Arraki in spirit allready and character wise all about fighting people with knives, so she can spend more time with important business.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I mentioned it elsewhere but i (jokingly) think she could just delegated the Arraki knife fight challengers to Marrow, who is practically an Arraki in spirit allready and character wise all about fighting people with knives, so she can spend more time with important business.
    Haha a goddess is entitled to have a champion of her choice after all, next time someone decides to directly challenge ororo to another one of these lame duels I want her to wipe them off the face of the earth/mars without giving a second thought.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Thor and Storm kind of teamed up in the Demon Days alt-universe story. They were siblings, and were technically called Raijin and Fujin, the Japanese gods of Thunder and Wind, respectively.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Haha a goddess is entitled to have a champion of her choice after all, next time someone decides to directly challenge ororo to another one of these lame duels I want her to wipe them off the face of the earth/mars without giving a second thought.
    Champion of a goddess eh? Now i have to imagine Marrow going "Genichiro, Way of Tomoe" (a Sekiro boss fight) on an enemy in a duel for Ororo.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    Very interesting. Makes sense. They counter each other on many ways. You also said something that stirred my curiosity, sell two things one was the quantum implications of storm's powers and being able to mess with jaime, the other was she being teo sides of the same coin with mercator. Please could you elaborate on that?
    Umm, apologies to anyone who doesn't care about my theoretical rambles. This is insanely long even by my standards. But there was a lot of ground to cover, and hopefully some people find it interesting. If not....lol, I understand.

Okay, to explain my thinking here I'm gonna have to throw around a lot of theoretical concepts and phrases that might not mean much without context, so I'll try and break things down as I go along not because I'm assuming anything about what others might or might not be familiar with, but just because a lot of this just doesn't make any sense period without that context so might as well include it. And I'm gonna have to take some detours that focus on other mutants but don't worry, I'm bringing it all back to Storm and her powers specifically, in the end. Also, keep in mind that this is all highly theoretical and requires some intuitive leaps because there's just no way to directly correlate most of these powers to real world physics, and thus extrapolate based on that. Because as I've talked about before, a lot of these powers, particularly the omega level ones, just openly defy or contradict real world physics in a lot of ways, while in a lot of other cases they take highly specific physical phenomena and treat a mutant's ability to replicate them just with a thought as totally casual without thought to the implications.

Like yeah, Magneto's always been regarded as one of the most powerful people on Earth and can do a ton with his magnetism powers as is, but when you consider that he can basically reverse engineer a Meisner Effect with just a thought - with this being a phenomenon that's extremely hard to artificially create in the real world, and the whole basis of the superconductivity field of physics, like...there's sooooo much more that can be done with Magneto's powers that they've barely scratched the surface.

And like, we talk a lot about how Storm and Bobby's powers overlap in a lot of ways, or how Storm and Magneto's overlap or they can do a lot of the same things but just in different ways....but that 'just in different ways' thing is key.

The ways Storm and Bobby and Magneto's powers can create a lot of the same effects is symptomatic....the end results are similar but the processes take EXTREMELY different routes. The differences between their powers are so much more significant than the similarities, and rather than people seeing them as making each other redundant, like a lot of people go why do you need both Storm and Bobby or both Storm and Magneto on a team, since they do so much of the same stuff......personally, I'm of the opinion that if combined all three of them, like a circuit of Storm, Bobby and Magneto would be pretty much damn near unstoppable. They could rewrite laws of physics together in ways even reality warpers can only mimic....and with that superficial altering of physics without adjusting the underlying principles being the basis of what makes a lot of reality warps unstable and ultimately undone. Throw Lactuca into that circuit and use her powers to create a kind of quantum entanglement effect for the end result of Storm, Iceman and Magneto's retooling of basic physical principles, and they could make those effects galaxy wide.

The stuff revealed in Fantastic Four's Reckoning War right now? Where the Watchers created a near impenetrable Great Barrier that cut off the known universe from everything outside it? Storm, Bobby, Magneto and Lactuca could pretty much do something similar to an area, even to Arakko itself, turn it into a completely closed quantum system that literally could not be affected by anything outside its 'bubble' and that they could completely rewrite the laws of physics for inside it. That's how significant the implications of even just those four's powers are, when you stop trying to just use them to replicate physical phenomena and instead lean into the fact that the fictional mechanics of HOW they go about recreating those physical phenomena effectively turn a lot of omega mutants into like....the embodiment of the theoretical thought experiments that lie at the heart of so many sciences, including (and especially) quantum physics.

Like Jamie Braddock basically IS the many-worlds theory made flesh. Bobby is Maxwell's Demon in human form. Isca is Schrodinger's Cat. Lactuca's knowledge of where everything is basically is quantum information computing which in turn empowers her to be equally capable of quantum teleportation, quantum entanglement, etc.

And as for Storm....the quantum implications of her powers I was talking about are actually pretty myriad. There's her little acknowledged ability to perceive the world as patterns of energy, even on a subatomic level....which theoretically gets her around the uncertainty principle and makes the observer effect something she could consciously manipulate. Also add in the fact that her power is psionic in nature, which means her ability to manipulate anything at all is paradigm-based. Like a paradigm just in general is a specific way of viewing things that isolates those things as being a whole unto themselves. That says 'everything included in this particular concept is part of paradigm x' and in turn, referencing paradigm x brings everything that's part of that paradigm into reference, even if just implicitly.

And paradigms dictate or kinda frame how you as an individual perceive the world....and they're usually instilled on a subconscious level that makes them very hard to CONSCIOUSLY shift....but paradigm shifts absolutely can occur, and when they do, its usually very significant. We saw this being a very big deal in S.W.O.R.D. actually. Doom pointed out that framing mutant circuits as a literal form of 'mutant technology' perceived as a kind of technology on a society-wide level, was a perfect example of 'naming-as-magic' that had very real and very empowering repercussions for mutant technopaths like Wiz Kid.

Because technology is rooted in paradigms. A lot of us might think of technology as just stuff like cars, computers, etc.....we wouldn't necessarily jump to thinking of a slingshot as technology, even though technically it is. Its a manmade tool that exploits physics to achieve a specific desired effect that wouldn't happen naturally without someone making that tool in order to create that specific effect on cue. Similarly a gun is technology, it relies on chemistry and physics to make use of various scientific laws and principles in order to do what its intended to do.

But for a technopath to manipulate something with their power, first they have to PERCEIVE it as technology themselves. Their power relies entirely on paradigms....what a technopath CONSIDERS to be technology, and thus subject to their power, on an instinctive, subconscious level. Even technopaths like Wiz Kid who can control computers with a thought might be powerless against someone using a gun....because he doesn't think of that gun as being just as much an example of technology as a HIGH-technology device like a computer. But it is! That gun is just as technological at its core as a computer is....so theoretically Wiz Kid, assuming his personal paradigm for what constitutes 'technology' includes guns....could simply make that gun not fire. Render its technological function null and void. Just with his mind tell it to not do what it was designed to do, and his power on an unconscious level using that paradigm to create a physical effect that puts a stop to the gun's ability to function. Maybe it would make the trigger jam, maybe it would render the gunpowder inert, you could write it in a variety of ways, but the endpoint is, a technopath like Wiz Kid theoretically could use his power to stop a whole squad of gunmen in their tracks by making their tools inoperable.

What mutantkind did as a society, in building directly INTO their society a basic understanding and perception of any two or more mutant powers working together to achieve a specific desired effect neither could enact on their own....as being an actual, literal form of technology in their society-wide paradigm for what technology actually is and what it constitutes.....this single facet of Krakoan society was nothing short of brilliant and literally boosted all technopaths to a whole new level of power and made them some of the most important members of mutant society. Because now on an unconscious level they don't even have to think about or draw connections to, they view technology as including the very act of combining two mutant powers to create a gestalt of their powers as a 'tool' to create a specific end result....which makes any two or more mutant powers used in concert an example of technology that a technopath's powers can then manipulate, tweak or override in all kinds of ways.

Astonishing Member

And we saw this in S.W.O.R.D. #1, with Wiz Kid's inclusion in the Six's circuit. He was there specifically to make all of the combined mutant powers work together in ways they wouldn't naturally combine, just on their own. Like in general, two mutant teleporters can not just DECIDE to combine their individual teleportation powers into a single teleport that uses both of their powers to fuel it and thus make a longer jump. They could try but at best one could teleport the other to as far as they could go, with the other then taking over and teleporting them to the full range of their ability, and thus between the two of them reach a further destination than either could reach singularly. Adding a technopath to their circuit however, let them cut out the middle part of that and just achieve the end result....a further range for their teleport...via the technopath simply combining their powers in a more efficient design, making the teleporters as a group into a singular unit that drew on all of their powers to fuel a single teleport 'jump.'

And thus via a society-wide paradigm shift for what counts as technology, mutantkind added a whole new dimension to technopaths' existing powersets, making them now capable of consciously manipulating HOW mutant powers combine, and creating circuits that wouldn't otherwise be possible.

Now, to finally bring all of this back to Storm, as promised....

Storm's powerset at its most basic definition is described as atmokinesis. A psionic ability to control all forms AND MANIFESTATIONS of weather manipulation.

But in order for her power to function at all, her mind on an unconscious, primal level that she doesn't even think about, HAVE to think about.....must first define the parameters of what weather even is. Her powers stem directly from her personal paradigm for what counts as weather or as being under its purview. And a significant factor here is that the connections her mind draws in order to reach the conclusion that x is an example of weather, and thus subject to her manipulation....like with a technopath's power deciding what is and isn't an example of technology....those connections don't have to be obvious, and they absolutely can be abstract or conceptual at their core.

And we've seen this time and again in instances where she manipulates open systems that might not be considered weather in and of themselves, but are born of weather's effects, and thus a part of the phenomenon she considers weather. And a potentially HUGE opening in her already established paradigm for what constitutes weather...

Is that Storm is able to control and manipulate waves.

As in ALL waves. Because as we've also mentioned previously in thread, her powerset also at its core involves the manipulation of energy patterns to a variety of end results, so long as they can be construed as fundamental to the essence or existence of weather.....much like she's able to manipulate electricity and electromagnetism in ways that don't just include throwing lightning, she's absolutely able to frame 'waves' in her mind as at their fundamental core, being just oscillating vibrational patterns disturbing the 'at rest' state of any medium. And as such, she's at times been shown able to just manipulate anything with a wave-like nature or wavelength, that base oscillating pattern that MAKES it a wave as long as its vibrating....like that vibration itself is something she's able to take control of, manipulate, regulate. Force into another configuration, speed up or slow down or something she scrambles or interrupts entirely.

To be clear, it doesn't mean that she can by extension take mental control of the MEDIUM the wave is resonating through....like she doesn't suddenly become capable of manipulating water like a water-bender when she manipulates ocean waves, but it doesn't need to mean that for the implications to still be huge. After all, she doesn't need to be a water-bender to achieve huge results from manipulating just waves themselves....as shown just last week in this thread, she can manipulate the oscillating pattern of vibrations that MAKE oceanic waves and take even relatively mild waves and build them up into tidal waves in basically no time at all.

Now here's where we get to the punchline, and the really staggering implications that Storm being able to manipulate wave patterns has in terms of quantum physics, and why I think she's one of the omegas who would have the easiest time trouncing Jamie Braddock's weirdo ass:

One of the most basic underlying principles of quantum mechanics is wave-particle duality.

The understanding that ALL particles and quantum entities exist as BOTH particles and waves. With their ability to be both at the same time lying at the heart of how matter and energy are basically the same thing, and relying on things like the uncertainty principle and subject to the observer effect. The uncertainty principle, for example, states that its impossible to know both the speed and location of a particle at the same time. Because they require entirely different systems of measurement that can not observe any single particle at the same time. To know a particle's location, its precise positioning in space/time requires observing, measuring, interacting with that particle as a PARTICLE, something that exists at a singular fixed point. To know a particle's speed requires an awareness that the particle does not exist in isolation, but is at all times part of an open exchange of energy that GIVES it its speed and momentum and trajectory in the first place, and thus makes it inherently part of a wave pattern as the flow of energy to and from the particle is its own medium constantly 'disturbed' by the pattern that is the rate of energy exchange/loss to and from that particle.

This duality, this simultaneous existence as both a particle and a waveform, is in turn at the heart of quantum wave functions, solid state physics and the understanding that even solid matter has a waveform that energy can be distributed through, and the concepts that build into things like Schrodinger's Cat and the many-worlds theory. Because everything can only be observed from only one facet of its existence at a time, during which its other state and how it plays into any systems its a part of can ONLY be theoretical until the manner of observation is switched over....this, combined with the fact that this effect is being repeated simultaneously for every particle in existence at each and every moment in time, is what results in their being an infinite number of outcomes for pretty much every interaction between systems.

But here's the kicker....you don't NEED to know BOTH the location of a particle and the SPEED of it in terms of whatever waveforms its part of or also exists as......if you're an omega level mutant able to OBSERVE energy patterns at even a subatomic level and CONTROL the oscillating patterns of any waveforms. Essentially dictating what speed it oscillates at.

Now hopping over to Jamie Braddock for a second...what Jamie does is described as quantum reality manipulation. He perceives reality as having strings that he can seize hold of and twist and warp into whatever configuration he wants, resulting in alterations to reality. He's basically string theory, with the infinite outcomes stemming from any particle, any interaction of systems, with these infinite outcomes each being part of their own reality....and Jamie able to tug on these strings, move them around, weave them together, so that the outcomes they contain are made manifest here and now in his reality.

He creates his reality warps, IMO, by deciding on a desired outcome or image he wants reality to be reshaped into....and then he reaches out into the infinite possibilities that basically ARE quantum waves. Only he perceives them as each being their own individual string that he can grab hold of and stitch together with other threads that are each their own outcome. Until he has a tapestry where all of those individual strings, all of those outcomes combine to form the image he wants for reality, at which point he stitches that whole tapestry into the framework of his underlying core reality, on top of what was originally there and he wants to replace or supersede with his reality warp, his image for what he wants reality to look like.

Astonishing Member

Which is why I think he's one of the only ones who has a shot at beating Isca, incidentally. Her power also relies on quantum mechanics....like I said, she's essentially Schrodinger's Cat. The cat in that thought experiment exists as both dead and alive so long as its hidden from being observed in its closed system, the box its locked in....with the opening of the box and the observing of the system inside it being what collapses the quantum wave that is the two distinct possibilities for what could be inside into the singular 'solid' state that is either the cat is alive or the cat is dead. Isca's power effectively dictates that for every moment where she faces two outcomes, one where she loses and one where she wins, there is no question as to which of those outcomes will be realized. She's Schrodinger's Cat except defying the fundamental nature of physics same as Ororo, Bobby, Lactuca and multiple others all do each in their own ways....she's Schrodinger's Cat but with her mutant power guaranteeing that no matter how many times you open the box, there's no question what you'll find inside: the cat will always be alive. No matter how many times Isca faces a question of two possible outcomes, victory or loss....the outcome will always be victory.

Jamie can get around that on a technicality however, because he can stitch together outcomes from any of the infinite possibilities available. See, every time Isca faces a moment where she can either win or lose....its not that other outcomes where she loses just don't exist, period. Its just that none of them ever get realized in this reality. But if Jamie can just grab hold of any number of the outcomes where she loses and stitch them on top of the reality her power chooses, the outcome where she wins....his reality warp of her loss could supersede that outcome, just like his reality warps always supersede reality. Or theoretically its possible his reality warps don't get stitched on top of existing reality....he could also be snipping the thread of existing reality and discarding the piece of it he's trying to replace, and stitching the tapestry of his reality warp directly into this universe with the pieces of reality it replaces getting totally discarded. But either way, Isca's usual outcome would be layered over or snipped out.

(Sorry for the tangent, Isca's power is fascinating to me. I also have this theory for how Hope should definitely never challenge her for any reason unless she wants to give Isca the glow-up of the century. Because Hope's power instinctively reacts to the presence of other mutant powers, smoothing out wrinkles in them and making them work better just as a default state and with Hope then able to consciously direct how she manipulates or molds other mutant powers. If Isca were to fight her however, theoretically the mechanism by which her power finds the most expedient way to reach a 'victory outcome' like, the simplest and most direct route I can see for that is if it hijacks Hope's power and manipulates the probability her mere proximity might affect Isca's own power, altering it just enough to say....make Isca able to consciously pick outcomes).

Tangents on top of tangents. Whoops. My ADHD, let me show you it. Okay but back to Storm, let's try this again, lol. The very thing that makes Jamie a threat to Isca, makes him particularly vulnerable to Storm, when you consider that her ability to manipulate wave patterns could be utilized on a quantum level.

After all, the outcomes or strings he weaves together are essentially each all quantum waves on their own until he collapses them into singular moments in space/time. Moments, images of reality he consciously picks out for those waves to settle into. But enter Storm, who can send ripples through existing wave patterns like shockwaves...if Storm were able to frame in her mind the very act of Jamie warping reality as each of his alterations being a wave unto itself....she could just...vibrate that wave apart. Collapse it early, in ways Jamie DOESN'T intend, and thus disrupts every picture of reality he's trying to create. There's not much he can do if every time he grabs for a string, sets another wave in motion, Storm just goes nah, and tells that wave not to reach its intended destination or travel at its designated speed.

She may not be a reality warper herself, but she's at the very least an effective reality-warp collapser. Which is definitely a word. That I definitely did not just make up. I am definitely not gaslighting you right now.

Theoretically, I do think a case could be made for her at least being able to disrupt or alter the waveforms of even solid matter to basically collapse its solid-state framework and return it to its freeform energy state. The transition between physical and energy states is actually a lot more common than people think, due to how we usually frame the ideas of matter and energy in our heads. But its something Storm actually does all the time as part of her weather systems. There's tons of transitioning between solid and energy states that occurs naturally as just the end result of her manipulating temperatures and air pressures, let alone when she hurls ionic discharges aka lightning through an atmospheric medium. In fact, as to that last bit, we've seen her use electrolysis to breathe underwater. Discharging pulses of electricity specifically to break water molecules down into their component hydrogen and oxygen molecules.

This would just be more of that. Using the energies she CAN consciously manipulate, and her ability to change the oscillation patterns of waveforms, to disrupt the relatively delicate structures that most matter is comprised of, and nudging it to collapse back into its more free-flowing energy states, which are a lot 'easier' for things to exist as anyway, from a certain perspective. In practical terms, this would basically give her the ability to turn matter into energy, take a physical projectile and transmute it into energy that she can disperse into her weather systems.

And to wrap up, its this last bit which is why I raised the Absolom Mercator comparison, and why I think she could be a good parallel/contrast for him and his powers the same way Bobby and Vulcan are for each other. Tbh though, as I thought about it more last night, I think the more substantive perspective would be to see Storm as the centerpoint in a triptych that has Absolom on one side of her and Vulcan on the other side, with her as the transitional state in between. Basically what Absolom does is all just matter manipulation. He can rearrange physical matter on a molecular level, which of course gives him enormous power and versatility. But matter manipulation is a component of what Storm does as well. Air molecules, moisture, etc....those are ALL still matter, that she's been also shown to manipulate on a molecular level, just from a different perspective. Also, on at least one occasion Absolom has converted energy directly into matter, which is basically the inverse of what I was saying with Storm, and that's why I think they could make for a good juxtaposition. But then also, when you add Vulcan into the mix, what he does is full spectrum energy manipulation. Basically he does with all energy what Absolom does with matter. Theoretically, Vulcan might be able to transmute one form of energy into a wildly different form of energy not dissimilar to how Absolom can transmute matter. And then this would still posit Storm as the in between point between those two, someone who pretty much always straddles the realms of matter and energy and whose usual medium features and relies on regular exchanges and transitions between matter and energy.

Okay I'm done. I swear. LOL.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 04-08-2022 at 07:22 PM.

@Bobby

Please don't apologize! Personally find stuff like this extremely interesting and it's always nice to see folks deep dive into the science/theories of what could be when it comes to Storm and other characters.

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Post Deleted…but damn that post walllllllllll….???!!!!!
    Last edited by Wind Rider; 04-08-2022 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    People be in here typing novels that I just don't have the time or energy to read. Ever! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metalclouds View Post
    People be in here typing novels that I just don't have the time or energy to read. Ever! lol
    Lmao! Ya'll a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Which is why I think he's one of the only ones who has a shot at beating Isca, incidentally. Her power also relies on quantum mechanics....like I said, she's essentially Schrodinger's Cat. The cat in that thought experiment exists as both dead and alive so long as its hidden from being observed in its closed system, the box its locked in....with the opening of the box and the observing of the system inside it being what collapses the quantum wave that is the two distinct possibilities for what could be inside into the singular 'solid' state that is either the cat is alive or the cat is dead. Isca's power effectively dictates that for every moment where she faces two outcomes, one where she loses and one where she wins, there is no question as to which of those outcomes will be realized. She's Schrodinger's Cat except defying the fundamental nature of physics same as Ororo, Bobby, Lactuca and multiple others all do each in their own ways....she's Schrodinger's Cat but with her mutant power guaranteeing that no matter how many times you open the box, there's no question what you'll find inside: the cat will always be alive. No matter how many times Isca faces a question of two possible outcomes, victory or loss....the outcome will always be victory.

Jamie can get around that on a technicality however, because he can stitch together outcomes from any of the infinite possibilities available. See, every time Isca faces a moment where she can either win or lose....its not that other outcomes where she loses just don't exist, period. Its just that none of them ever get realized in this reality. But if Jamie can just grab hold of any number of the outcomes where she loses and stitch them on top of the reality her power chooses, the outcome where she wins....his reality warp of her loss could supersede that outcome, just like his reality warps always supersede reality. Or theoretically its possible his reality warps don't get stitched on top of existing reality....he could also be snipping the thread of existing reality and discarding the piece of it he's trying to replace, and stitching the tapestry of his reality warp directly into this universe with the pieces of reality it replaces getting totally discarded. But either way, Isca's usual outcome would be layered over or snipped out.

(Sorry for the tangent, Isca's power is fascinating to me. I also have this theory for how Hope should definitely never challenge her for any reason unless she wants to give Isca the glow-up of the century. Because Hope's power instinctively reacts to the presence of other mutant powers, smoothing out wrinkles in them and making them work better just as a default state and with Hope then able to consciously direct how she manipulates or molds other mutant powers. If Isca were to fight her however, theoretically the mechanism by which her power finds the most expedient way to reach a 'victory outcome' like, the simplest and most direct route I can see for that is if it hijacks Hope's power and manipulates the probability her mere proximity might affect Isca's own power, altering it just enough to say....make Isca able to consciously pick outcomes).

Tangents on top of tangents. Whoops. My ADHD, let me show you it. Okay but back to Storm, let's try this again, lol. The very thing that makes Jamie a threat to Isca, makes him particularly vulnerable to Storm, when you consider that her ability to manipulate wave patterns could be utilized on a quantum level.

After all, the outcomes or strings he weaves together are essentially each all quantum waves on their own until he collapses them into singular moments in space/time. Moments, images of reality he consciously picks out for those waves to settle into. But enter Storm, who can send ripples through existing wave patterns like shockwaves...if Storm were able to frame in her mind the very act of Jamie warping reality as each of his alterations being a wave unto itself....she could just...vibrate that wave apart. Collapse it early, in ways Jamie DOESN'T intend, and thus disrupts every picture of reality he's trying to create. There's not much he can do if every time he grabs for a string, sets another wave in motion, Storm just goes nah, and tells that wave not to reach its intended destination or travel at its designated speed.

She may not be a reality warper herself, but she's at the very least an effective reality-warp collapser. Which is definitely a word. That I definitely did not just make up. I am definitely not gaslighting you right now.

Theoretically, I do think a case could be made for her at least being able to disrupt or alter the waveforms of even solid matter to basically collapse its solid-state framework and return it to its freeform energy state. The transition between physical and energy states is actually a lot more common than people think, due to how we usually frame the ideas of matter and energy in our heads. But its something Storm actually does all the time as part of her weather systems. There's tons of transitioning between solid and energy states that occurs naturally as just the end result of her manipulating temperatures and air pressures, let alone when she hurls ionic discharges aka lightning through an atmospheric medium. In fact, as to that last bit, we've seen her use electrolysis to breathe underwater. Discharging pulses of electricity specifically to break water molecules down into their component hydrogen and oxygen molecules.

This would just be more of that. Using the energies she CAN consciously manipulate, and her ability to change the oscillation patterns of waveforms, to disrupt the relatively delicate structures that most matter is comprised of, and nudging it to collapse back into its more free-flowing energy states, which are a lot 'easier' for things to exist as anyway, from a certain perspective. In practical terms, this would basically give her the ability to turn matter into energy, take a physical projectile and transmute it into energy that she can disperse into her weather systems.

And to wrap up, its this last bit which is why I raised the Absolom Mercator comparison, and why I think she could be a good parallel/contrast for him and his powers the same way Bobby and Vulcan are for each other. Tbh though, as I thought about it more last night, I think the more substantive perspective would be to see Storm as the centerpoint in a triptych that has Absolom on one side of her and Vulcan on the other side, with her as the transitional state in between. Basically what Absolom does is all just matter manipulation. He can rearrange physical matter on a molecular level, which of course gives him enormous power and versatility. But matter manipulation is a component of what Storm does as well. Air molecules, moisture, etc....those are ALL still matter, that she's been also shown to manipulate on a molecular level, just from a different perspective. Also, on at least one occasion Absolom has converted energy directly into matter, which is basically the inverse of what I was saying with Storm, and that's why I think they could make for a good juxtaposition. But then also, when you add Vulcan into the mix, what he does is full spectrum energy manipulation. Basically he does with all energy what Absolom does with matter. Theoretically, Vulcan might be able to transmute one form of energy into a wildly different form of energy not dissimilar to how Absolom can transmute matter. And then this would still posit Storm as the in between point between those two, someone who pretty much always straddles the realms of matter and energy and whose usual medium features and relies on regular exchanges and transitions between matter and energy.

Okay I'm done. I swear. LOL.
    This was a great read. I'm surprised i understood it all and what i didn't after looking up the definition of paradigm it all sort of sank in to place and this was a very relaxing read. The sensing waves also makes me think of the onslaught story that Storm was in with Bobby and she was like "can you feel that." but he couldn't and she directed everyone to attack the world. So she did in some sense feel the vibrations of the altered world. A very fascinating read but so detailed i don't have to do anything but absorb it. Great post.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    @Bobby

Please don't apologize! Personally find stuff like this extremely interesting and it's always nice to see folks deep dive into the science/theories of what could be when it comes to Storm and other characters.
    I enjoyed it too read all three posts.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/