Page 756 of 833 FirstFirst ... 256656706746752753754755756757758759760766806 ... LastLast
Results 11,326 to 11,340 of 12488

Coates was the Storm greatest writer.

Quote Originally Posted by skyking View Post
    I guess what I meant is that we’ve been shown the Omega application of spoilers:
    Vulcan’s powers
    end of spoilers in just a few panels but what we’ve gotten so far in X-Men Red from Storm is still very much basic and not a good showing of her omega level capabilities
    Tbf that's true. Because the whole issue is with the marketing of the book we got a lot of promises about how we are going to get new and exciting omega level storm feats and sooo far vulcan has had more omega feats than storm. What has she done, be a glorified defirbirator? And sadly many people who are storm fans that are reading the book mainly want epic omega storm moments and I am like yeah that was a big selling point for the book. But I also realize that we ain't gonna get that, so you have to adjust your expectations and the book will be flawless because it is. We have to understand that this is not a storm solo. And the vulcan fight might very well disappoint certain people myself included tbh. But the book is sooo good and has honestly garnered enough praise from the larger comic fanbase that I think its will do fine without us being told to expect storm feats in interviews. Something I think I realized ewing was getting kinda annoyed at with the whole goddess question. So yeah to keep enjoying the book i will suggest you adjust your expectations.
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

Astonishing Member

Okay new question for people, if anyone wants a different topic, here's something I was thinking about ever since the Morlocks were referenced in thread a few days ago:

For those who don't like looking back on Storm's time as leader of the Morlocks because of what ultimately happened to them, and thus don't like constant associations between her and the Morlocks - I'm curious, how would you feel if for example they started appearing more in X-Men Red, but like....as members of SWORD?

I mean....the X-Men made many offers to host the Morlocks at the Institute over the years, but they always turned them down because to the Morlocks it felt like conforming to Upworlder presumptions of how life should be, but without life actually being any better or safer for them than they were down in the tunnels. Basically, they felt like it was an empty gesture that wouldn't actually change much about their lives. Whether they felt confined just to the tunnels where they were safe from people who'd do them harm just because of how they looked, or felt confined to the Institute but afraid to venture beyond it for fear of the exact same thing....to the Morlocks, it seemed like a lateral move, it wouldn't actually offer them any more opportunities than they currently had.

So I was thinking the other day though, how SWORD could be a perfect fit for Morlocks, and offer them all kinds of opportunities they DIDN'T have before....because as members of SWORD, (especially once Brand is ousted from its leadership), able to rise through the ranks themselves, having access to its resources.....that'd be as far from confined or limited as its possible to get. The whole universe would be open to them at that point....even with ongoing threats to mutantkind like Orchis or in the event of another crisis like Judgment Day, they'd be better positioned to get away to safety on some other planet or spaceship than they would be even on Krakoa or in their Arizona community.

But on top of that.....as members of SWORD, their different appearances would be an asset, never something that gave them reason to fear for their safety. Because no Morlock is likely to ever be uncomfortable with new alien races' appearances or cultures the way even other mutant 'Upworlders' might be....making them well suited to first contact situations and ambassadorships. Similarly, Morlocks who are regularly meeting and interacting with alien representatives and civilizations wouldn't have their usual reasons to fear for their safety - specifically because of how 'freakish' or not they look.....because to other alien races, any individual Morlock isn't going to appear any more or less alien to THEM than even the most 'normal' appearing human (by OUR standards)....because aliens aren't using human standards. To them an inhuman appearing Morlock and the average human are both going to be equally alien, so there's no reason that Morlock would be in any more or less danger than anyone else would be, when interacting with aliens.

Like....when being from the Sol system makes YOU the alien to the people you're interacting with....your appearance doesn't matter! You're still from Mars either way! (Often literally now, in the case of mutants, lol).

And of course, as the Regent of Sol...Storm's uniquely positioned to help Morlocks get positions as members of SWORD if any of them want that.

So my question is.....especially for fans who dislike the callbacks to Storm's connections with the Morlocks because she (and others) see it as a stain on her reputation, that she was never able to do right by them, at least not in lasting ways....could something like this work as Storm finally finding a way to make good on all her best intentions and hopes for the Morlocks, actually offering them actual opportunities and directions they never had before? Especially when you consider that the associations between Storm and the Morlocks are never going to go away for good at this point, that they might get downplayed by different writers or runs but they're too ingrained by now to ever be separated from each other in readers' eyes completely? Or do you think that there's just nothing good that can come out of Storm's time/connections with the Morlocks, that its just a non-starter, and so it would be better if writers stuck to just trying to ignore or downplay those things anyway?
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 12-06-2022 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean Sun View Post
    Tbf that's true. Because the whole issue is with the marketing of the book we got a lot of promises about how we are going to get new and exciting omega level storm feats and sooo far vulcan has had more omega feats than storm. What has she done, be a glorified defirbirator? And sadly many people who are storm fans that are reading the book mainly want epic omega storm moments and I am like yeah that was a big selling point for the book. But I also realize that we ain't gonna get that, so you have to adjust your expectations and the book will be flawless because it is. We have to understand that this is not a storm solo. And the vulcan fight might very well disappoint certain people myself included tbh. But the book is sooo good and has honestly garnered enough praise from the larger comic fanbase that I think its will do fine without us being told to expect storm feats in interviews. Something I think I realized ewing was getting kinda annoyed at with the whole goddess question. So yeah to keep enjoying the book i will suggest you adjust your expectations.
    This is nobody's solo, however magneto and vulcan were glorified. Sincerely? They use Storm only for marketing, to promote sales. I don't even give visibility anymore, we reached the end, and the promised "goddess of mars" nothing. I won't stop criticizing just because it's Ewing.

Ohk so this is important.
    No shade and I love ewing down. easily the best x-men writer up there with peak Claremont and morrison and hox pox hickman. But this is kinda true for the modern post uncanny x-men era currently. Simply because Coates actually built on what was already established and gave the charchter new life and direction. Basically put her on the path of godhood. And that's sadly something I still havent seen from any writer. Ewing gets the storm voice though, his storm talks and acts like you would expect storm to act. But Coates simply changed the game for many storm "scholars" and actually put her on a path to be an independent force outside the mutant community in an organic way, unlike the whole marriage mess, the whole avengers mess. Which is something that should have happened a long time ago. Storm has outgrown the mutant schools of thought. I simply dont take any threat against the x-men seriously when storm is involved because I just feel like she too grown for this. Something Claremont realized so he de-aged her, And I think it's something even Hickman realized hence why he didnt use her that much and something many of the writers struggled with hence why she was sooo weirdly written for soo long after Claremont and even Claremont couldnt get back the 80s magic of storm with xtreme. Also why evolution made her a grown woman whilst her "peers" were all kids. Because it feels like she is repeating the year over and over and over again.

And do you know why? It's because in the 80s storm went through one of the single greatest arc I have ever personally witnessed in a fictional medium. She underwent the heroines journey even before such a thing was a thing. This aged her out of the whole simplistic binary of Xavier and magneto's points of arguments which is soemthing the other xmen simply havent aged out of, even grown man wolverine. That's why Coates to me is the best #storm writer from a conceptual point of view in the modern age aka post uncanny. Because he finally was realizing the potential of the charchter ripened by her arc in the uncanny issues. It was going to turn her from a part of a verse aka the xverse to a nucleus of her own verse. Something that has happened for charachters like spiderman, for hulk, thor even in dc superman, wonder woman...etc. it's a very rare thing that a charchter can get to and especially getting there without being introduced as a solo charchter. The only problem? Storm is black and a woman. So yeah that ain't happening. And her her popularity has been severely damaged from her very lackluster adaptations. So that is really never happening. As I dont think the MCU will fix that.

And that is the problem, She should have broken out and gone solo or built a "family unit" by now. But that's why I think they put her on mars because it is such a natural fit. Just that we havent gotten to the whole aspect of her actually meeting challenges that actually challenge her. Hickman said the story with storm will take a while and so we have to wait. But I believe when all is said and done Ewing will take storm as a charachter to heights we cant even imagine. Because I think that is what duggan and the xoffice realized needs to happen that is why they made her the focal point for xmen red narratively.
    Last edited by Taurean Sun; 12-06-2022 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazona dos ventos View Post
    This is nobody's solo, however magneto and vulcan were glorified. Sincerely? They use Storm only for marketing, to promote sales. I don't even give visibility anymore, we reached the end, and the promised "goddess of mars" nothing. I won't stop criticizing just because it's Ewing.
    Eh that is why I was a bit iffy, because the marketing gave us one thing and the book is giving another. Which tbf is what marketing does. And I get not wanting to adjust and frankly more power to you. But I personally enjoy the story being told so I am gonna stick with the book. I have understood what it's going to be giving and meet it where it's at. Because as much as I love storm I also love x-men and the arakkii. So I cant really complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    That's Ok....you'll see.

Most Definitely 100%

Yes, and then those Vulcan Fans will get their Dreams CRUSHED in the Next Issue. I'm definitely predicting they will Slug it Out with some cool Energy Feats and what Not.

Storm Fans to crying Vulcan Fans

I mean that will be great if that happens but if that doesnt happen well sure. More interested in the manifold situation tbh. Talking universes how is that not an omega power? And also that will give what we expect it will give.
    Last edited by Taurean Sun; 12-06-2022 at 09:52 PM.

That's why Ewing got pissed off when Butterflykyss asked him about "goddess" development of Storm, and he answered her by saying he had more to do. At the time I didn't say anything, but I thought he was a lot of arrogance and disrespect towards a fan who just wanted to know more about the story of the book he's writing.

That's why Ewing got pissed off when Butterflykyss asked him about "goddess" development of Storm, and he answered her by saying he had more to do. At the time I didn't say anything, but I thought he was a lot of arrogance and disrespect towards a fan who just wanted to know more about the story of the book he's writing.
    I dont think its was arrogance. More or less not wanting to feed an online "debate" was it kinda weird? Yeah and the is this very passive aggressive tone to the way he answers questions about the concerns storm fans have about her. And thts is why I am saying that you have to adjust to enjoy the story. I dont you understood me when I meant by that. I personally do not expect anything from storm. With arakko and with the other charchters yeah but with storm? Yeah I am going in blind. And that has served me well.
    Last edited by Taurean Sun; 12-06-2022 at 10:52 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

wish I could like this a billion times
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 12-06-2022 at 11:53 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Mighty Member

Yeah if you want to ignore like 5 other writers before him. Claremont is the GOAT. McDuffie, and a few others but if you like purple lightning one shoting adversary, please enjoy.

Ohk so this is important.
    No shade and I love ewing down. easily the best x-men writer up there with peak Claremont and morrison and hox pox hickman. But this is kinda true for the modern post uncanny x-men era currently. Simply because Coates actually built on what was already established and gave the charchter new life and direction. Basically put her on the path of godhood. And that's sadly something I still havent seen from any writer. Ewing gets the storm voice though, his storm talks and acts like you would expect storm to act. But Coates simply changed the game for many storm "scholars" and actually put her on a path to be an independent force outside the mutant community in an organic way, unlike the whole marriage mess, the whole avengers mess. Which is something that should have happened a long time ago. Storm has outgrown the mutant schools of thought. I simply dont take any threat against the x-men seriously when storm is involved because I just feel like she too grown for this. Something Claremont realized so he de-aged her, And I think it's something even Hickman realized hence why he didnt use her that much and something many of the writers struggled with hence why she was sooo weirdly written for soo long after Claremont and even Claremont couldnt get back the 80s magic of storm with xtreme. Also why evolution made her a grown woman whilst her "peers" were all kids. Because it feels like she is repeating the year over and over and over again.

And do you know why? It's because in the 80s storm went through one of the single greatest arc I have ever personally witnessed in a fictional medium. She underwent the heroines journey even before such a thing was a thing. This aged her out of the whole simplistic binary of Xavier and magneto's points of arguments which is soemthing the other xmen simply havent aged out of, even grown man wolverine. That's why Coates to me is the best #storm writer from a conceptual point of view in the modern age aka post uncanny. Because he finally was realizing the potential of the charchter ripened by her arc in the uncanny issues. It was going to turn her from a part of a verse aka the xverse to a nucleus of her own verse. Something that has happened for charachters like spiderman, for hulk, thor even in dc superman, wonder woman...etc. it's a very rare thing that a charchter can get to and especially getting there without being introduced as a solo charchter. The only problem? Storm is black and a woman. So yeah that ain't happening. And her her popularity has been severely damaged from her very lackluster adaptations. So that is really never happening. As I dont think the MCU will fix that.

And that is the problem, She should have broken out and gone solo or built a "family unit" by now. But that's why I think they put her on mars because it is such a natural fit. Just that we havent gotten to the whole aspect of her actually meeting challenges that actually challenge her. Hickman said the story with storm will take a while and so we have to wait. But I believe when all is said and done Ewing will take storm as a charachter to heights we cant even imagine. Because I think that is what duggan and the xoffice realized needs to happen that is why they made her the focal point for xmen red narratively.
    you're speaking a lot of truth in this post my friend!!!!! beautifully said!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

right I was genuinely curious as he said he was going to write storm with the goddess cred she got in black panther. I thought the answer could have been handled differently but it is what it is.

I dont think its was arrogance. More or less not wanting to feed an online "debate" was it kinda weird? Yeah and the is this very passive aggressive tone to the way he answers questions about the concerns storm fans have about her. And thts is why I am saying that you have to adjust to enjoy the story. I dont you understood me when I meant by that. I personally do not expect anything from storm. With arakko and with the other charchters yeah but with storm? Yeah I am going in blind. And that has served me well.
    I think your approach is very wise. at this point I've pretty much given up on them elevating her in the way Coates wanted and I just now have accepted they want her depicted in a way that limits her much to being just a mutant. storm should be given the treatment WW has over at DC and I believe Coates was setting the stage for that to happen but yea the xoffices dont want that.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    Yeah if you want to ignore like 5 other writers before him. Claremont is the GOAT. McDuffie, and a few others but if you like purple lightning one shoting adversary, please enjoy.
    why do those who like coates' work bother you so?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    why do those who like coates' work bother you so?
    Because there is no substance or depth. Making her a goddess has nothing to do with growing Ororo as he didn't tie it back to Oshtur and chose not to develop it. It's a shiny trinket that doesn't mean anything. He's not a good storyteller. What does it mean that she's a goddess of balance? Since storm doesn't care about it and she doesn't why should fans?
    Last edited by OG Storm; 12-07-2022 at 12:31 AM.