Page 105 of 833 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205605 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 12488

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    SkyBreaker was the single biggest let down in the xos event to me. Like it was such a cool name and the blade was wonderful, but it didnt need to be a wakanda relic. There could have been a story about how she needed vibranium to create it and she going to wakanda to get it forged. And with that have conversations with several royal family members and wakandains about their perspective on krakoa. This could have also given us insight into who storm is and how she truly perceives the krakoan age and how her relationship with her identity as African and American has evolved in this age. Instead we got mission inpossible:storm.
    But I did like the moment when Storm returned the sword.

I just don't get the concept of punishing a character by taking away from them because writers aren't using their imagination. Now i would agree if being on the council somehow barred one from appearing anywhere else but that has not been the case. Emma has been all over the place, as have Xavier, Apocalypse, Magneto and so on so i think we should look to the writers to rise to the task on a book about seated council members rather than shunt that character off into a corner.

I mean it's a book about twelve characters and Storm is in red i'm really not expecting the Storm show. Even if it is say one issue for each and it last 12 issues how many panel appearances can one realistically expect. But no voice at all or one that has no meaning when heard that is more of a issue but only time will tell. Gilien's diplomatic Storm may work well hell it may not.
    Last edited by jwatson; 03-09-2022 at 03:04 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by StormBorn06 View Post
    But I did like the moment when Storm returned the sword.
    It was basically rihanna throwing the money at the guy at the award show. Sooo iconic. But still kinda contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I just don't get the concept of punishing a character by taking away from them because writers aren't using their imagination. Now i would agree if being on the council somehow barred one from appearing anywhere else but that has not been the case. Emma has been all over the place, as have Xavier, Apocalypse, Magneto and so on so i think we should look to the writers to rise to the task on a book about seated council members rather than shunt that character off into a corner.
    If Storm didn't have the ROS position and she wasn't in the hands of Ewing( who I think has shown real promise with her) I might feel the same about wanting to keep her on the QC. But so far it looks like IMX is where the bulk of the QC action is going to take place and again its written by a writer whose take on Storm I didn't care for, and who has already said she possibly won't feature much. At the end of the day I really don't actually care if she stays on it. I am just satisfied with her new bigger role as the Voice of Sol.

I am just more worried it can damage the character if she once again window dresses in the background in IMX. Obviously I hope I am wrong and my doubts can be quelled but I am not holding my breath. But I won't harp on it any longer. It's great if others are excited about her future QC prospects and I too want to be in that group someday as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    I wanted to come back to this. The reason I am against Storm being on The Quiet Council is its because it is a meaningless position. The X architects always give Storm token positions because they know she is A list, but they have no substance behind it. And they ALWAYS do this. I want to apologize in advance because I have said these things before in the past so I am being repetitive, but I just want people to understand my reasoning.

I think it was around last year during black history month where the creators were talking about Xmen leaders. Every character featured got an explanation about why they thought said characters was a good leader. When it came to Storm, they literally just said "She just feels like one." That's it. No deeper reasoning. It was just sad. It was especially dumb because Storm has relinquished leadership TWICE to Kitty, when she did lead it was constantly questioned, and she herself felt like a failure. That was her theme for nearly a decade. The creators may think she is an important leader but that wasn't being reflected in the pages of the comics at all, and once again just made it seem like they were giving her token adulation. At the end of the day an interview is inconsequential though, it's what gets to the page that matter and those things did not line up at all. So their barely there praise felt disingenuous.

Then of course there is the Regent of Sol position. I am glad she is in the position but again, in an interview when they asked why Storm was right for the position, all they could muster was, "We just felt it needed to be Storm." That's it. AGAIN no reasoning or thought process behind it. Storm became Regent of Sol in July of last year and we still do not know why she wants the position or why others think she is qualified for it. It looks like we will get this in Xmen Red but quite frankly it should not have taken this long to get some insight into that.

All of this is just to say that the X creators are very lazy. They'll slap labels and positions on her all day long but will not do any work in trying to develop it. This has been her track record and it can clearly be seen with her Quiet Council position. Gillen is a writer that does not do a good Storm. He has already said she won't play a big part in IMX since she is doing things elsewhere( where does that sound familiar?) Everytime that line is trotted out it's an excuse to not develop her in a title. Storm has tread water enough. It's been 3 years, she's done nothing on the Council, and you combine that with a writer who does a bad job with her and who has already given out reasons why she won't be used much, I just say why bother? One of the reasons Storm has suffered so much as a character is because of this very thing. She's everywhere but still not DOING anything of note. Her QC seat is where they can trim the fat.

I'll give credit to Ewing though. He was the FIRST person in the Hickman era to actually have some substance in his interviews about Storm that weren't just meaningless fluff, demonstrating a real understanding of the character. Even better, it was actually reflected in the pages where it really matters!
    Ohk first of I feel you. And I agree in the sense that the titles are becoming a bit too much, I mean she is the regent of arakko, the voice of the solar system on the intergalactic stage, she is also a qc member and is also the goddess hadari yao. Storm is all these things but of all of them it seems like the qc title is the weakest link... which is an achievement considering hadari yao hasn't gotten any development in years.

The thing is that many writers tokenise storm, it is the respectable negro stereotype which has been inferred onto her due to the perceived but not executed importance of storm to the x-mythos. They feel she is important, they know she is important but cant tell you why she is important. And many of them will be like because she led the xmen or had a punk phase or beat calisto hence she is important. But not many can pin point why exactly she I'd sooo vital to the entire story.
    Ewing on th other hand has a very strong sense of what and who the chatachter is. He understand her very well and one can tell from his interviews. He talks always of her chatadvhtervand her duality as not only a street fighter but a literal goddess. And all the shades inbetween she occupies. Its honestly very comforting knowing he will be writing her as his central character.

It was basically rihanna throwing the money at the guy at the award show. Sooo iconic. But still kinda contrived.
    Lol Such an exact description.

For many of us who dont know storm is the very reason the x-men was founded by xavier in the first place. After his encounter with her as a child and his fight with Farouk he resolved to build a better life for mutants all over, a safe heaven for mutants to hone and build their gifts fit the betterment of mankind. She was the first xman second if you count sage that he encountered, third if you count wolverine. Her arc in the Claremont books is the very spirit and essence of why and what really makes the xmen great. And it's this feeling that has left a huge impression on most fans that storm is important and vital to any and all incarnations of the xmen but many dont know why she is soo vital because they haven't really read the Claremont books. So they have diminished her role to the place where it is tokenised.

But in a very spirited essence storm is for all intended purposes one of the very cores of the x-men. A groundbreaking thing for it's time seeing a dark skin african woman be this vital to at the time the most popular superhero team kn the world and being its leader.

If Storm didn't have the ROS position and she wasn't in the hands of Ewing( who I think has shown real promise with her) I might feel the same about wanting to keep her on the QC. But so far it looks like IMX is where the bulk of the QC action is going to take place and again its written by a writer whose take on Storm I didn't care for, and who has already said she possibly won't feature much. At the end of the day I really don't actually care if she stays on it. I am just satisfied with her new bigger role as the Voice of Sol.

I am just more worried it can damage the character if she once again window dresses in the background in IMX. Obviously I hope I am wrong and my doubts can be quelled but I am not holding my breath. But I won't harp on it any longer. It's great if others are excited about her future QC prospects and I too want to be in that group someday as well.
    I think you are right to be worried. The only hope I see is that Gillen is friends with Ewing and he should at least respect the storm his friend is writing.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post

I mean it's a book about twelve characters and Storm is in red i'm really not expecting the Storm show. Even if it is say one issue for each and it last 12 issues how many panel appearances can one realistically expect. But no voice at all or one that has no meaning when heard that is more of a issue but only time will tell. Gilien's diplomatic Storm may work well hell it may not.
    I love your perspective it is really refreshing. It is 12 issues one for each council member yes. But storm is not going to play a big part in the larger plot or narrative. He himself said so in his numerous interviews.

I think many people are kinda tired of storm being there just because she is storm. And like many have said maybe gillen will surprise us. We dont know yet. But from all his interviews and from the characters he has stated he is in love with storm is not on that list.

The main characters he said were: Emma, sinister, mystique, destiny, exodus, xavier, selene. The rest will not be as involved and yeah that makes sense storm is in red, kate in marauders, kurt in legion of x. But the difference is that these two aside storm have agency in the council meetings they talk! They give their opinions about decisions we know their headspace so even if they are absent we know exactly what they are going to do in that setting. Storm on the other hand just votes and goes home. Oh there is collosus who is being controlled by his brother for russia.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I wanted to come back to this. The reason I am against Storm being on The Quiet Council is its because it is a meaningless position. The X architects always give Storm token positions because they know she is A list, but they have no substance behind it. And they ALWAYS do this. I want to apologize in advance because I have said these things before in the past so I am being repetitive, but I just want people to understand my reasoning.

I think it was around last year during black history month where the creators were talking about Xmen leaders. Every character featured got an explanation about why they thought said characters was a good leader. When it came to Storm, they literally just said "She just feels like one." That's it. No deeper reasoning. It was just sad. It was especially dumb because Storm has relinquished leadership TWICE to Kitty, when she did lead it was constantly questioned, and she herself felt like a failure. That was her theme for nearly a decade. The creators may think she is an important leader but that wasn't being reflected in the pages of the comics at all, and once again just made it seem like they were giving her token adulation. At the end of the day an interview is inconsequential though, it's what gets to the page that matter and those things did not line up at all. So their barely there praise felt disingenuous.

Then of course there is the Regent of Sol position. I am glad she is in the position but again, in an interview when they asked why Storm was right for the position, all they could muster was, "We just felt it needed to be Storm." That's it. AGAIN no reasoning or thought process behind it. Storm became Regent of Sol in July of last year and we still do not know why she wants the position or why others think she is qualified for it. It looks like we will get this in Xmen Red but quite frankly it should not have taken this long to get some insight into that.

All of this is just to say that the X creators are very lazy. They'll slap labels and positions on her all day long but will not do any work in trying to develop it. This has been her track record and it can clearly be seen with her Quiet Council position. Gillen is a writer that does not do a good Storm. He has already said she won't play a big part in IMX since she is doing things elsewhere( where does that sound familiar?) Everytime that line is trotted out it's an excuse to not develop her in a title. Storm has tread water enough. It's been 3 years, she's done nothing on the Council, and you combine that with a writer who does a bad job with her and who has already given out reasons why she won't be used much, I just say why bother? One of the reasons Storm has suffered so much as a character is because of this very thing. She's everywhere but still not DOING anything of note. Her QC seat is where they can trim the fat.

I'll give credit to Ewing though. He was the FIRST person in the Hickman era to actually have some substance in his interviews about Storm that weren't just meaningless fluff, demonstrating a real understanding of the character. Even better, it was actually reflected in the pages where it really matters!
    beautifully said my friend!!!

SkyBreaker was the single biggest let down in the xos event to me. Like it was such a cool name and the blade was wonderful, but it didnt need to be a wakanda relic. There could have been a story about how she needed vibranium to create it and she going to wakanda to get it forged. And with that have conversations with several royal family members and wakandains about their perspective on krakoa. This could have also given us insight into who storm is and how she truly perceives the krakoan age and how her relationship with her identity as African and American has evolved in this age. Instead we got mission inpossible:storm.
    that trainwreck of a story was solely written to create conflict between ororo and Wakanda when there was none. you see the story was completely ignored in the current black panther run. will probably be the last time that sword is ever used again.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StormBorn06 View Post
    Lol Such an exact description.
    I know my moments.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I think its a blessing in disguise she won't be featured much in gillens book. he's proved he doesn't write the character well so the less he does the better off we are.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I think its a blessing in disguise she won't be featured much in gillens book. he's proved he doesn't write the character well so the less he does the better off we are.
    Me I am.happy for one reason she will get more numbers added to her appearances. At this point with how much she has appeared unpublished comics she is quiet literally the most published female comic superhero in the world. Only followed by wonder woman.

What I do hope is that red comes to dispel all our anxieties or apathy of imx. I really dont care for that book or the writer. But I do want to support the krakoa era books because I believe that it is the best thing to happen to the xmen in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    What I do hope is that red comes to dispel all our anxieties or apathy of imx. I really dont care for that book or the writer. But I do want to support the krakoa era books because I believe that it is the best thing to happen to the xmen in a long time.
    I feel the same. At least in regards to Storm's role in IMX. But I actually am really looking forward to IMX. I've been dying to get a book about the QC since the first few meetings of it back in 2019. I knew it was rife with potential so I am happy to see it come to fruition. It's a great time to be an XFan.