Page 140 of 833 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190240640 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 12488

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    Wait what happened?
    Cyclone_Ablaze is right. But I mean after Ewing left, Cates took over the Hulk, and things got really bad. So I think storm will be treated badly again when XMR ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Reminds me that one of you good folk planned to argue on why they thought i was selling Marrow short, when i argued that the fight between her and Storm was not a great display of fighting prowess on the later part.

My arguement was mainly supposed to be that Marrow was at that point not meant to be very impressive (she was dangerous because she was unhinged and violent, not because she was a great fighter or very powerfull) and it was only after she was brought back and added to the X-men that writers expanded on her skills, physical state and powers. Compared to today, where she is practically a natural super soldier, she was just a scrawny teenager with knives, who didn't even had the implication of skill that Callisto got before her fight with Storm.

The reason this reminds me to it, is because with what was established later, their fight would need to look a lot different if it was done today, in part because of the difference in physical power….
    I agree with most of what you posted except for the first part. While we didn’t get her background expanded on when she was first introduced (not uncommon) I think she was always intended to be a ruthless competent fighter with enhanced stats. She spent most of her life on The Hill and not only survived she successfully fought her way to the top. A scrawny teen isn’t pulling that off through just being violent and extreme. She had to be able to defend herself and win, even when facing physically superior opposition. Yes, Storm has had more impressive competition but to say Marrow was a just scrawny teen at the time they fought is underselling both of them. Sarah knew how to fight but just wasn’t skilled enough to contend w/ Storm and, like Callisto, underestimated her willingness to kill.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StormBorn06 View Post
    Cyclone_Ablaze is right. But I mean after Ewing left, Cates took over the Hulk, and things got really bad. So I think storm will be treated badly again when XMR ends.
    Sadly, but TRUE.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I NEED X-Men Red to last at least 20 issues we need to milk Cosmic Storm for all its worth before she gets shunted off on some mediocre writer who just has her be Lightning Lass for some mediocre team.
    from your keyboard to the goddess' ears!!! we need this and badly.

Sandblasting the Arraki into a less rough shape perhaps? Sorry couldn't resist.

That being said, i wonder when the weather/nature and limitations of the planet might actualy start to affect her subconsciously?

Sure those pannels say she is molding and forming the environment of this planet to what she desires, but it's still a world created artificaly and in a massive hurry on a more than flawed soil. They created a magnetic field and added large amounts of water to the surface, but it's still primarily covered in rusted iron dust, with hard volcanic rock underneath. Which heavily limits what can be done with it, without years of carefull processing the surface first.

At some point a gardener has to face that fact that some plants they might desire for their garden will not fit the soil and environment they have and either need to chose from those that will still bloom even if they might be to their original vision or use artifical means to force them to fit in.

Combine that with constant stress, fighting and the likely persistent smell of the rusted sand (invoking blood) and i can't help but imagine her having to fight cracks showing up in herself as much as they might on the terraformed Mars itself.

So yeah could be exciting.

I would absolutely and unequivocally agree with you in your analysis especially when considering her mutant level abilities. however, after seeing what she did in power of light which was make an uninhabitable planet to one that was sustainable, im inclined to think otherwise.

the skrull man mentioned it would be sustainable for generations and generations to come. in this instance I think she was using her goddesss abilities and not her mutant powers, so if she has access to this I think she could arguably do the same with Mars.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 03-20-2022 at 09:26 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    I agree with most of what you posted except for the first part. While we didn’t get her background expanded on when she was first introduced (not uncommon) I think she was always intended to be a ruthless competent fighter with enhanced stats. She spent most of her life on The Hill and not only survived she successfully fought her way to the top. A scrawny teen isn’t pulling that off through just being violent and extreme. She had to be able to defend herself and win, even when facing physically superior opposition. Yes, Storm has had more impressive competition but to say Marrow was a just scrawny teen at the time they fought is underselling both of them. Sarah knew how to fight but just wasn’t skilled enough to contend w/ Storm and, like Callisto, underestimated her willingness to kill.
    Keep in mind that those details about The Hill were introduced in the Storm mini series by Warren Ellis (kinda dissapointing THAT had to be the story of her first mini series now that i think about it), written after Marrow was allready killed and involved several contradictions from how Scott Lobdell presented Gene Nation and their home in Uncanny X-men #325.

To quote a summary from uncannyxmen:
    "She (Callisto) informs them that, when Piotr’s brother, Mikhail, teleported the few surviving Morlocks from this plane of existence, he didn’t make it through; trapped in a world that made the tunnels beneath Manhattan seem like paradise. They adapted. Years passed at a more accelerated rate there and, despite the hard work, they actually came to enjoy the world they were forging for themselves; until the second generation came of age. (...)
    She continues to say that the young among them were disenfranchised, angry, consumed by rage that they, the elders had been driven from their original home on Earth. That they accepted their fates made them appear weak and pathetic so they rebelled against them and found a means to come back to Earth. Their leader is a girl named Marrow, a child of twisted vision who will stop at nothing to redress past wrongs."

This also reflects how in the Cable story which introduced Sarah, she actualy said that the Morlocks were too scared to come back and prefered it in the other world, hence also being willing to rejoin them rather than stay with Thornn.

The harshness of the place they came from at that point sounded more like having to live in a particular inhospital desert, cold climate area, swamp or even underground cave system.

The name The Hill, that it was a place ruled by Mikhail Rasputin, it's nature as death world (with acid rain, giant lizard monsters, techno-organic plants, weather which could easily kill people), that he forced everyone to constantly fight each other and climb the hill or breed stronger children who could and that he ideologicaly charged them to hate normal humans were all retcons introduced with that Storm mini series by a completely different writer after Marrow's "death" (which also retconned her into having survived).

Though, i have to admit, that an inhospital environment in fiction often means that the people who live there tend to be implied to be capable fighters and survivalist (see Fremen and Sardaukar from Dune), so i can't deny that the writer might have wanted people to see her as capable fighter on par with Storm, even if her previous "victories" were just a homeless guy, some party goers at a disco and a few secruity guards (and the later two might have been soley on Hemingway and Vessel).
    But the way it looks to me, i still feel the encounter was more about what Storm was willing to do to save innocent people, than how she would overcome an equal or greater hand to hand fighter.

Still i see your point and will keep it in mind next time the subject of Storms great martial victories comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I would absolutely and unequivocally agree with you in your analysis especially when considering her mutant level abilities. however, after seeing what she did in power of light which was make an uninhabitable planet to one that was sustainable, im inclined to think otherwise.

*pics*

the skrull man mentioned it would be sustainable for generations and generations to come. in this instance I think she was using her goddesss abilities and not her mutant powers, so if she has access to this I think she could arguably do the same with Mars.
    Ah, touché.

Though if the terraformed Mars is not going to last even one generation (the world of super hero comics is a fickle thing regarding anything not existing in the real world after all), i think it's good to have an explanation of why it wasn't meant to be, regardless of everyone's best effort (and why it won't be repeated right away).

Though that and an opposing godly force countering hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    He became a Cosmic Entity. And then destroyed the Universe.

Well, TECHNICALLY a Cosmic Entity called: “The One Below All” possessed the Body of the Hulk and essentially turned the Hulk into this ALL POWERFUL being and destroyed the Universe.
    Oh I see that is interesting.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Those panels feel like a bit of a test run for what she later did on Mars. Like, after that, she knew she was capable of it, so it was easier to recreate.

Though if the terraformed Mars is not going to last even one generation (the world of super hero comics is a fickle thing regarding anything not existing in the real world after all), i think it's good to have an explanation of why it wasn't meant to be, regardless of everyone's best effort (and why it won't be repeated right away).

From the panels I posted before: "The goddess marries the land and sea with winds that will nourish this mutant garden-world forevermore."

If her terraforming created winds that can sustain the planet "forevermore," the only thing that could really cause it to not even last one generation would be if something bad -- really bad -- happened to the planet. D:

And yeah, I also think it would be interesting if being connected to a new planet long-term started to show up in Storm somehow.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Fantastic Member

and there you have it. this isn't the Omega Mutant of Mars.... No.. this is the GODDESS of Mars. I think it is very nice that Ororo has this to distinguish her. Keep in mind all the great ring members are Omega Level so ororo being one wouldn't impress them. Her being a goddess however is something that distinguishes her from the rest which will give her more street cred to some of the Arrakki. Im just blown away guys seeing the xoffice fully embrace her godhead!!!

yes for remembering blink of an eye!!!!
    I agree, and that brings the “She’s the omega’s omega” comment by Duggan full circle.
    I am a woman, a mutant, a thief, an X-Men, a lover, a wife, a Goddess. I am all these things. I am Storm, and for me, there are no such things as limits.

Sandblasting the Arraki into a less rough shape perhaps? Sorry couldn't resist.

That being said, i wonder when the weather/nature and limitations of the planet might actualy start to affect her subconsciously?

Sure those pannels say she is molding and forming the environment of this planet to what she desires, but it's still a world created artificaly and in a massive hurry on a more than flawed soil. They created a magnetic field and added large amounts of water to the surface, but it's still primarily covered in rusted iron dust, with hard volcanic rock underneath. Which heavily limits what can be done with it, without years of carefull processing the surface first.

At some point a gardener has to face that fact that some plants they might desire for their garden will not fit the soil and environment they have and either need to chose from those that will still bloom even if they might be to their original vision or use artifical means to force them to fit in.

Combine that with constant stress, fighting and the likely persistent smell of the rusted sand (invoking blood) and i can't help but imagine her having to fight cracks showing up in herself as much as they might on the terraformed Mars itself.

So yeah could be exciting.
    I think that xilo fixed that when he changed the chemical composition of the soil and introduced micro organisms to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    This would be a really interesting take for like a one shot form Storm's PoV. On top of everything else she has to learn all the subtle nuances of being connected to a new planet.
    Yeah that will be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by StormBorn06 View Post
    Oh my god... that is terrible. Especially with all these mid writers being given books left and right.
    But what makes me unafraid of anything drastic happening to her is because unlike hulk her divinity comes from within not without. It's something they literally have to retcon years of her history and her ancestry to do that and knowing the bo office they wont allow that.

I am not going to throw shade but if marauders and excalibur could get over 26 issues for their first run. Then certainly x-men freaking red can get the same. I mean their sales weren't that good yet they kept going.

Maybe we will see something done with this.

RCO024_1607525695.jpg20220321_103644.jpg20220321_103609.jpg

Maybe this and ameneth has something to do with why her family Carry the gift of the godhead.
    Last edited by Reigna; 03-21-2022 at 04:42 AM.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

But what makes me unafraid of anything drastic happening to her is because unlike hulk her divinity comes from within not without. It's something they literally have to retcon years of her history and her ancestry to do that and knowing the bo office they wont allow that.
    So, I wouldn’t actually make a statement as that because anything could happen. New Directions, New Ideas are constantly being thrown around. It just takes 1 story to literally change all of that and BOOM Storm is no longer a Goddess.

Nobody, can escape the Retcon Demon. And god forbid it would even happen I wouldn’t be surprised.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Those panels feel like a bit of a test run for what she later did on Mars. Like, after that, she knew she was capable of it, so it was easier to recreate.

From the panels I posted before: "The goddess marries the land and sea with winds that will nourish this mutant garden-world forevermore."

If her terraforming created winds that can sustain the planet "forevermore," the only thing that could really cause it to not even last one generation would be if something bad -- really bad -- happened to the planet. D:

And yeah, I also think it would be interesting if being connected to a new planet long-term started to show up in Storm somehow.

ok interesting. I thought the panels from this evening came after the Mars terraforming but yea now that you say that I follow your logic here.

Keep in mind that those details about The Hill were introduced in the Storm mini series by Warren Ellis (kinda dissapointing THAT had to be the story of her first mini series now that i think about it), written after Marrow was allready killed and involved several contradictions from how Scott Lobdell presented Gene Nation and their home in Uncanny X-men #325.

To quote a summary from uncannyxmen:
    "She (Callisto) informs them that, when Piotr’s brother, Mikhail, teleported the few surviving Morlocks from this plane of existence, he didn’t make it through; trapped in a world that made the tunnels beneath Manhattan seem like paradise. They adapted. Years passed at a more accelerated rate there and, despite the hard work, they actually came to enjoy the world they were forging for themselves; until the second generation came of age. (...)
    She continues to say that the young among them were disenfranchised, angry, consumed by rage that they, the elders had been driven from their original home on Earth. That they accepted their fates made them appear weak and pathetic so they rebelled against them and found a means to come back to Earth. Their leader is a girl named Marrow, a child of twisted vision who will stop at nothing to redress past wrongs."

This also reflects how in the Cable story which introduced Sarah, she actualy said that the Morlocks were too scared to come back and prefered it in the other world, hence also being willing to rejoin them rather than stay with Thornn.

The harshness of the place they came from at that point sounded more like having to live in a particular inhospital desert, cold climate area, swamp or even underground cave system.

The name The Hill, that it was a place ruled by Mikhail Rasputin, it's nature as death world (with acid rain, giant lizard monsters, techno-organic plants, weather which could easily kill people), that he forced everyone to constantly fight each other and climb the hill or breed stronger children who could and that he ideologicaly charged them to hate normal humans were all retcons introduced with that Storm mini series by a completely different writer after Marrow's "death" (which also retconned her into having survived).

Though, i have to admit, that an inhospital environment in fiction often means that the people who live there tend to be implied to be capable fighters and survivalist (see Fremen and Sardaukar from Dune), so i can't deny that the writer might have wanted people to see her as capable fighter on par with Storm, even if her previous "victories" were just a homeless guy, some party goers at a disco and a few secruity guards (and the later two might have been soley on Hemingway and Vessel).
    But the way it looks to me, i still feel the encounter was more about what Storm was willing to do to save innocent people, than how she would overcome an equal or greater hand to hand fighter.

Still i see your point and will keep it in mind next time the subject of Storms great martial victories comes up.

Ah, touché.

thats fair. I dint see Mars and this new world of mutants going away anytime soon but with the orchis on Mars moon anything is possible.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Its wierd now that we know storm is definately going to be getting some goddess development.... I am just here just trying to wonder what she can be capable of now.

Like i dont thing we get how insane it is that storm is not only an omega level mutant but also a god. Or maybe yall do and I am just finding it hard to wrap my head around.

She is a god and an omega. The zenith of magic and science.

Its wierd now that we know storm is definately going to be getting some goddess development.... I am just here just trying to wonder what she can be capable of now.

Like i dont thing we get how insane it is that storm is not only an omega level mutant but also a god. Or maybe yall do and I am just finding it hard to wrap my head around.

She is a god and an omega. The zenith of magic and science.
    I watched this the other day. I feel like this would be a good starting point if we're going for a all out Storm.
    https://youtu.be/XeS9gABM3ZA?t=212
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    I watched this the other day. I feel like this would be a good starting point if we're going for a all out Storm.
    https://youtu.be/XeS9gABM3ZA?t=212
    Yeah I feel like what a god is has been cheapen by all these random ass humans ascending to godhood every event and a half. So it basically cemented the idea that a god is basically a very strong hero or person. But a god is literally a force of nature. Some even embody concepts and abstracts. Divinity is sooo potent and great that it is constantly inferred on the mightiest being in all of creation in any story and is the highest honour one can possibly be. A god is Impossibility made manifest. An absolute being.

There is nothing above a god no higher rank. That is the ceiling... now what matters is what you are the god off and how you fuel your existence and strength.

Galactus even said it that on their level combat is metaphor. Cause power level irrelevant. The one with the best "argument/metaphor" wins.

I just love this saying from mass effect about what a god really is.

A god — a real god — is a verb. Not some old man with magic powers. It's a force. It warps reality just by being there. It doesn't have to want to. It doesn't have to think about it. It just does.
    Emphasis on it is a force.
    Last edited by Reigna; 03-21-2022 at 03:00 PM.

ru referring to her being a goddess? how might it hurt her? has it Thor, ironbman, hulk, superman, wonder woman?
    Is this a trick question?

Superman and Hulk are notorious for being hard to write. Wonder woman has all of greek mythology , Thor has norse mythology.

most of African mythology if any goes straight to Black Panther wheel house and many people hated how Storm was taken from the X-men and put in those books.