Page 231 of 833 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233234235241281331731 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,465 of 12488

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    That's the problem the book she was in was not hers it was black panther's. From what I understood the bp fans at least many of them, were getting upset that storm was stealing his shine or getting as much focus as she was. Something like hadari yao needs time and build and work. Like ewing said she has a history to be able to make this a thing you need an arc or two maybe an event to be able to go deep into it. Soo far the only hints we have of storms ancestors are;
    1) they are favoured by the elder goddess osthur and might share her likeness.

2) they have great magical potential and have that sorcerer supreme level potential within them.

3) they are a line of high priestess to whom we dont know maybe osthur but it could be gaea or someone else.

4) they were once in Atlantis.

All these four facts need exploration something in depth we cant get that in a book like red due to just how big the cast is and the sheer scope of the plot. Plus ewing isn't magically oriented he will try but it's not his ministry. Also I dont think storms godhead will be Kenyan in origin of explored. Remember her ancestors do not originate from Kenya they likely do not even originate from africa if the Atlantis thing holds true. They migrated there and lived in Egypt likely Nubia then settled in Kenya. It goes really deep and need care to be executed.

That's why Coates or maybe Eve should be allowed to develop a story like this for storm but I believe we wont get that unitil the x-men have been already introduced into the mcu and storm is getting a solo project in the works. But for now I am happy that her writer Ewing at the very least understand that her power is god level/ god tier. It means he will respect and elaborate on her omega elemental abilities which is a plus for us all. Yaaay.
    And i get all that which is why he never should have gone there and done it the way he did. Point blank if coates didn't have the space and he respected BP and it was his intent to make storm a true goddess it would have taken far less pages than to have all of wakanda falling to their knees, or exposition on what she knows of gods that basically said nothing. That advesary scene could have just happened with respecting Storm own history, it could have just been that issue, "It's your gift of godhood, past down from your line. Call it ororo" and BOOM she did that from within, from her ancestry and took out the adversary. All the rest was just pretension on top of pretension and in my opinion and a way to escape a character he couldn't write, Tchalla, with one he could least pontificate with and enjoyed, Storm. But her whole goddess thing could have been wrapped up in two issues and Tchalla could have gotten some actual storyline.

And i'm sorry it really doesn't need all that exposition and i feel that is a weak excuse. "We can't do it because we needs tons and tons of pages to do it to make it make sense" Like nike said, just do it and explain it later. Coates would have left more of a mark if that is what he did trying to turn storm into a goddess because then other writers could have worked with it. Than trying to make up some sort of history and connection to the wakandian gods.

We all know the history is there, we all know her line is favored, we all know she was worshipped as a goddess so literally all Caotes had to do was have her claim it in that scene and it would have been just as much as we ended up getting from him without all that other nothing.
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-18-2022 at 06:31 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    And i get all that which is why he never should have gone there and done it the way he did. Point blank if coates didn't have the space and he respected BP and it was his intent to make storm a true goddess it would have taken far less pages than to have all of wakanda falling to their knees, or exposition on what she knows of gods that basically said nothing. That advesary scene could have just happened with respecting Storm own history, it could have just been that issue, "It's your gift of godhood, past down from your line. Call it ororo" and BOOM she did that from within, from her ancestry and took out the adversary. All the rest was just pretension on top of pretension and in my opinion and a way to escape a character he couldn't write, Tchalla, with one he could least pontificate with and enjoyed, Storm. But her whole goddess thing could have been wrapped up in two issues and Tchalla could have gotten some actual storyline.

And i'm sorry it really doesn't need all that exposition and i feel that is a weak excuse. "We can't do it because we needs tons and tons of pages to do it to make it make sense" Like nike said, just do it and explain it later. Coates would have left more of a mark if that is what he did trying to turn storm into a goddess because then other writers could have worked with it. Than trying to make up some sort of history and connection to the wakandian gods.

We all know the history is there, we all know her line is favored, we all know she was worshipped as a goddess so literally all Caotes had to do was have her claim it in that scene and it would have been just as much as we ended up getting from him without all that other nothing.
    It's not exposition... I explained a while back that that story gives meaning to feats. There is a reason why rouge storm though stated to have power that rivals dark pheonix is not really considered because the story didnt truly match the scope of the feat. That is the reason why most of storms high end feats are discounted by most or even forgotten, why? Because most of the stories that accompany them are kinda not the best.

For a charchter like storm to introduce a very core concept like the godhead you need a good story added to it. Coates though a great writer didnt seem that motivated when writing black panther especially when he expressed plans that he wanted to write storm. Also if coates didnt make her a full blown goddess I dont think the xoffice would have made her omega level status official. He in a way forced them to admit she was limitless in her power on his terms for that i respect him greatly.

The thing is that you are thinking like a storm stan not even fan, we know more about storm than the average x-men fan most fans dont even know that storm has magic potential or that her family is favoured by the elder goddess herself. Most dont even know that her abilities encompass more than just "weather" and go deeper than that. To solidify the fact that storm is a god to them you need to build it in a story. And frankly that is what a charchter like storm and her ancestors deserve because two issues dedicated to the genealogy of ororo and how special they are wont cut it. Like take iron man and venom for instance both have achieved godhood or have the power of a god. Yet, that took multiple issues for iron man and a whole ass event for venom. Wanda has multiple events dedicated to just how stupidly op she is, jean has the pheonix saga and some other pheonix related events and legion has age of x which revolved around him altering reality on a universal scale. All these charachters well except jean without pheonix are considered by most causal fans to be godlike. Because the stories their feats are attached to are good.

All I am saying is the godhead plot shouldnt be a throw away line it should have meaning for not only the x-men but marvel as a whole and for that to happen it must be the focus of a story arc or two. All in all I just want storm to explore more of her omega level abilities, afterall it is what we her fans theorize the most about. Till this day I am still waiting on what it truly means to be an omega level weather manipulator we got atmosphere creation a miniature sun. But it can go away deeper than that. Let's get more creative feats which I believe ewing will give to us along with a good story.
    Last edited by Reigna; 04-18-2022 at 06:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

Coates didn’t tie Storm’s godhood to Wakanda, he showed the Wakandan perspective on Storm’s godhood. Storm doesn’t stop being a goddess when she’s outside Wakanda and Coates very clearly established in Ororo’s first appearance in his run that she was gaining power from worship long before she reconnected with T’Challa. It’s precisely because of those longtime flirtations with divinity that he reached out to her in the first place about the threat of the Originators.

What Coates did was show that Wakanda recognized the power and beauty of Storm’s bloodline in a way she had never previously explored. Wakanda has a population of 6 million, it makes a bunch of sense that Storm’s access to her divine powers would be greater and more emotionally affecting than when she was worshipped by a handful of villages. And obviously the Wakandans would frame her divinity in terms that align with their culture, hence why they gave her a Wakandan name and started worshipping her in their time of need. Just like how the Kenyan villages that worshipped her presumably gave her names from their language and called on her when they realized her ability to help them.

So what’s the issue? If the X-books wanted to make Storm a goddess to another group of people they easily could. Ewing’s interview seems to indicate that’s not the plan, because to him there doesn’t seem to difference between being “goddess-level” AKA really powerful and goddess (an actual one.) I think people should be more “upset” about the X-office’s refusal to explore that side of Storm than the BP office developing that aspect in their own context. But the idea her godhood is “tied to Wakanda” is simply wrong, the story never did that. If anything it did the opposite.

This new storm costume is a bdsm vibe

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Coates didn’t tie Storm’s godhood to Wakanda, he showed the Wakandan perspective on Storm’s godhood. Storm doesn’t stop being a goddess when she’s outside Wakanda and Coates very clearly established in Ororo’s first appearance in his run that she was gaining power from worship long before she reconnected with T’Challa. It’s precisely because of those longtime flirtations with divinity that he reached out to her in the first place about the threat of the Originators.

What Coates did was show that Wakanda recognized the power and beauty of Storm’s bloodline in a way she had never previously explored. Wakanda has a population of 6 million, it makes a bunch of sense that Storm’s access to her divine powers would be greater and more emotionally affecting than when she was worshipped by a handful of villages. And obviously the Wakandans would frame her divinity in terms that align with their culture, hence why they gave her a Wakandan name and started worshipping her in their time of need. Just like how the Kenyan villages that worshipped her presumably gave her names from their language and called on her when they realized her ability to help them.

So what’s the issue? If the X-books wanted to make Storm a goddess to another group of people they easily could. Ewing’s interview seems to indicate that’s not the plan, because to him there doesn’t seem to difference between being “goddess-level” AKA really powerful and goddess (an actual one.) I think people should be more “upset” about the X-office’s refusal to explore that side of Storm than the BP office developing that aspect in their own context. But the idea her godhood is “tied to Wakanda” is simply wrong, the story never did that. If anything it did the opposite.
    Cool even going with that the point is he was hired to write a bp book and didn't write a good BP book so why would I want him to write a storm book just because he expounded on her godhood in somebody else's book. That's my simple point. I'd rather a writer I think is going to write the character they are suppose to.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Well I don’t want to piss on anyone’s parade but I do think there is a difference between being a God and having the comparable power of one as a mere mortal. I don’t like this habit of dodging questions, it is just a way of leading fans by the nose when you know exactly you are never gonna deliver, I don’t doubt for a second he is gonna write storm as very powerful but it is pretty clear ororo’s status as a goddess it’s just a game of semantics to him.
    You felt that too huh...im five minute in digesting this and I need coke to dilute this nagging feeling that he wasnt gonna go all full Storm Goddess anyways...like you said dodgy...dont get me wrong...i hail him all that time he made her pop them eyes, and vader choke again in sword...but when its time for Storm to shine the brightest, first agenda he did was nope she aint a queen -- ahem....excuse me....who was it that made that decision btw wasnt it JDW who teased it so much we thought it was X-men's fighting for her between being in Wakanda vs Being in Krakoa (just sitting in that council chair) and yes havent we all fans been shouting that for decades and yes been rejoicing that -- months as in just months ago? -- and yes its just april guyths its not even a good one full year...whats the excuse now?

Ewing #We'llSee --

-- we better....so many build up for what? Magneto's palace grave? Or the illusion of Summer's Royalty Status again over Storm -- ugh smh sorry

Im just not really feeling it maybe because we've been in this road before with X offices almost dropping the ball too soon when it is Storm...thats basically where my doubt comes from -- Ewing on the other hand can be no doubt a good writer but the entire team (yes i still question the art dimension of her throne -- why its so fucking small vs Magneto's ugh!!! Im tired of this)...and its just book 1...for the love of Storm imma suck it (and yes my orders are already in place anyways)

But we better see better Storm progress than flaunting those toned abs...my goddess by all means
    Last edited by LadyXKerrigan; 04-18-2022 at 07:19 AM.

Astonishing Member

Cool even going with that the point is he was hired to write a bp book and didn't write a good BP book so why would I want him to write a storm book just because he expounded on her godhood in somebody else's book. That's my simple point. I'd rather a writer I think is going to write the character they are suppose to.
    Y’all know I don’t like the Coates run, I’m just trying to be fair lmao. I can talk all day about how he sidelined T’Challa in his own book and has a disturbingly pessimistic view of blackness and masculinity, but in terms of Storm he did try to do something different while being consistent with her history. And ultimately I think it’s because of his work that the X-books were forced to take her more seriously, even if his run did stop her from being used as much in the early shift to Krakoa.

Exactly, coates simply made the goddess moniker cannon. She has divinity with her, the qakandans see and recognise the divinity, the Kenyans also do see and recognize it presumably that is still out on the jury after the pak run.

But what I will say on ewing is this.... he is a cosmic thinker, he has worked with beings sooo vast and great they trump even traditional gods. Galactus, the living tribunals master order, lord chaos, the queen of nevers, the firmaments, one above all one below all... etc. All these charachters are above the traditional sense of a god. But to ewing these charachters are gods or god level. In his ultimates run he uses the phrase gods as a way to indicate a being that is extremely powerful. So to him saying storm is a god is different from god level doesnt really tally with him and his work. I mean he made star lord a god or at least gave him god tier power. To him that is the same thing.

Remember in the answer he repeats again that she has more than one card she can play and that her abilities essentially are that of a god. But she would be ruthless yet compassionate as she navigates all this. And frankly that's all I ever wanted he acknowledged her power and respects her charchter she is compassionate but can RIP out your heart if she needs to for the greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    This new storm costume is a bdsm vibe
    You know you ain't wrong.

Because I dont think coates wanted to write a bp book. I think he was given the bp book to write before he can get to what he really wants to write. Same with Claremont in the 70s he wanted to write the big titles but they gave him the x-men rather. It happens. then, they wanted Claremont to prove his stuff before going to something like fantastic four since he was still a rookie, but in coates case they wanted an acclaimed black writer to write the story of a black hero whose movie franchise was about to launch.

One thing I felt in the entire bp run was a lack of motivation. It felt like he didnt really enjoy doing what he was doing. Maybe his real goal was to write storm seeing just how much thought he had put into her as a charchter building up certain elements so that when he finally got that solo he can explore it. Which he never got to do.

Y’all know I don’t like the Coates run, I’m just trying to be fair lmao. I can talk all day about how he sidelined T’Challa in his own book and has a disturbingly pessimistic view of blackness and masculinity, but in terms of Storm he did try to do something different while being consistent with her history. And ultimately I think it’s because of his work that the X-books were forced to take her more seriously, even if his run did stop her from being used as much in the early shift to Krakoa.
    Without coates storm will still be at omega potential limbo.

Nevermind...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LadyXKerrigan View Post
    You felt that too huh...im five minute in digesting this and I need coke to dilute this nagging feeling that he wasnt gonna go all full Storm Goddess anyways...like you said dodgy...dont get me wrong...i hail him all that time he made her pop them eyes, and vader choke again in sword...but when its time for Storm to shine the brightest, first agenda he did was nope she aint a queen -- ahem....excuse me....who was it that made that decision btw wasnt it JDW who teased it so much we thought it was X-men's fighting for her between being in Wakanda vs Being in Krakoa (just sitting in that council chair) and yes havent we all fans been shouting that for decades and yes been rejoicing that -- months as in just months ago? -- and yes its just april guyths its not even a good one full year...whats the excuse now?
    Ewing #We'llSee

-- we better....so many build up for what? Magneto's palace grave? Or the illusion of Summer's Royalty Status again over Storm -- ugh smh sorry

Im just not really feeling it maybe because we've been in this road before with X offices almost dropping the ball too soon when it is Storm...thats basically where my doubt comes from -- Ewing on the other hand can be no doubt a good writer but the entire team (yes i still question the art dimension of her throne -- why its so fucking small vs Magneto's ugh!!! Im tired of this)...and its just book 1...for the love of Storm imma suck it (and yes my orders are already in place anyways)

But we better see better Storm progress than flaunting those toned abs...my goddess by all means
    Ewing had the perfect opportunity in his answer to hint at Storm’s mystical heritage or talk about how she’ll be exploring spirituality on Mars with her experiences from Africa in mind. The fact he didn’t tells me that’s not something he’ll be playing with for her character.

Questioning whether being really powerful is the same as being an actual goddess says “I don’t really care about the source of her powers and want to focus on Storm as a Regent/omega level hero.” Which is fine in my case, Storm’s godhood is a fun thing to theorize about and discuss but since it’s never been this foundational part of her character I’m fine with it not taking center stage here. There are still plenty of directions to go with her character as Regent of Sol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    Because I dont think coates wanted to write a bp book. I think he was given the bp book to write before he can get to what he really wants to write. Same with Claremont in the 70s he wanted to write the big titles but they gave him the x-men rather. It happens. then, they wanted Claremont to prove his stuff before going to something like fantastic four since he was still a rookie, but in coates case they wanted an acclaimed black writer to write the story of a black hero whose movie franchise was about to launch.

One thing I felt in the entire bp run was a lack of motivation. It felt like he didnt really enjoy doing what he was doing. Maybe his real goal was to write storm seeing just how much thought he had put into her as a charchter building up certain elements so that when he finally got that solo he can explore it. Which he never got to do.
    Coates is a guy that always straddled the line between academia and pop culture. Writing the biggest black solo hero before his cinematic debut gave him credibility in entertainment circles that would definitely help him transition into Hollywood. Which he’s now doing through novels, a screenwriting gig with Superman, etc.

I’d rather not question someone’s personal beliefs and fandom but the way Coates wrote BP he gave the impression he was more interested in the world of Wakanda and found T’Challa himself problematic. Storm seemed a much more comfortable fit for him but I suspect for a variety of reasons Marvel wouldn’t let him go all the way with her or the X-Men at large.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

This was a Goof Interview by Al Ewing. The Man knows what he’s doing. LOL Praises be to the Ale Ewing.

Also, I see we got a sneak peak to the Galactic Illuminati which I’m not surprised. It’s the people you expect.

This interview makes me feel like a Pantene girl. "Yes! Yes! Yes!" I also love his answer to the goddess question because storm is a living goddess so is there really a difference between having the power of a goddess at the level to take on a god and actually being one in name. I am so looking forward to the future of red. And that scene with storm walking away from the other galactic rulers tchalla and teddy as well as walking away from brand. Girl gathering her Intel. And some lenil yu art coming up. I'm not use to being spoiled. Lol
    Yes, I Agree.

His response to the Goddess Question makes absolute sense. It’s the very argument I’ve made here in this thread. Title of Godhood matters not when your power is that equal to a God.