Page 361 of 833 FirstFirst ... 261311351357358359360361362363364365371411461 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,415 of 12488
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    Because she isnt his cup of tea? Sane with bandis, who made her like rocket. She is not that important to him or else he would have put his back into into it.

Ohk so I have to confess an anxiety about the mcu. I feel like of all the x ladies they have to actually try to do right by storm or else she wont blow up as much as they want to or think she can. They have to really take their time and find the right actress and train her very well for the physicality the role takes when it comes to her combat. They have to put their whole pussy into it as the bird heads will say. Because and I dont mean to be rude but the mcu has demonstrated that being just white is enough to make you blow up. So they should put their actual effort into the poc cast not only just storm but yes storm most if all since sfe is the most high profile.
    I remember reading there stories back in the day and being so frustrated. I created an entire thread on the topic called the miseducation of ororo because I felt it was a concerted effort by writers to nerf her. I get the impression a lot of readers were not fans of Claremonts depiction of Storm. When they grew up and could write for marvel they had every intention of bringing to life the version of storm they perceived her to be. Imagine writers showing super man not being super powered or batman not having gadgets to get him kit of any situation? The same is true with Ororo in how they tried to make her just a weather manipulator.

Im actually a bit encouraged that they will do more for Storm. This will be their premiere black female superhero introduced to the world and I think they would do it in an unforgettable fashion that will wipe away all memories of foxmen storm.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

does anyone have links to the interview where it is mentioned that Jean was given phoenix to put her on the power levels of Ororo? The link i had now has dead images. if so you can dm me.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Jason Aaron is the reason. he was also the writer who said because there was no weather in hell she became powerless. absolute and utter trash.
    We need writers that know storm abilities. Storm controls the weather, but her power's main objective is the forces that govern the weather itself, which means fundamental sources of existence itself.

She is an energy/matter manipulator

Also, Firestar uses her power which is EM manipulation which means Hell has an EM spectrum as a part of its physical boundaries. Hell Iceman manipulating the temperature to freeze hell.

And the writers want us to believe Storm was powerless in hell. Her powers adapt where ever she is.

Quote Originally Posted by KLY360 View Post
    We need writers that know storm abilities. Storm controls the weather, but her power's main objective is the forces that govern the weather itself, which means fundamental sources of existence itself.

Also, Firestar uses her power which is EM manipulation which means Hell has an EM spectrum as a part of its physical boundaries. Hell Iceman manipulating the temperature to freeze hell.

And the writers want us to believe Storm was powerless in hell. Her powers adapt where ever she is.
    Well said and great points. We need Claremont, Ewing, Sumerak, Gray, Pak, Okarafor, Wilson, Yost, Fawkes, or Hickman give a class on Storm’s powers. These are the writers I felt did the best with her power usage/explanation on panel.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by KLY360 View Post

yups agreed. storm has been tremendously hurt by bad writers this is why I think why some had issue with ewings depiction of the her fight with vulcan.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Well said and great points. We need Claremont, Ewing, Sumerak, Gray, Pak, Okarafor, Wilson, Yost, Fawkes, or Hickman give a class on Storm’s powers. These are the writers I felt did the best with her power usage/explanation on panel.
    Is it up to these writers though to properly inform and educate the masses?
    One can argue that, just by their previous works they've already done so and it's now up to the fans and interested persons to do some homework. And I'm almost certain that most comic-book readers just don't care about her that much to make the effort...hence the recent stupid and ignorant rants and arguments. You are basically arguing for a character with someone who doesn't give a **** about the character.
    No.
    If some want to wallow in ignorance go right ahead...I personally don't have any fucks or time to give to them.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Lol I just rewatched that scene! Like why would she literally hit him with more lightning if it didn't work the first time? especially after homeboy literally just gave her ass a science lesson! And she hit that brick wall hard
    thats what she gets for not listening lol

Lol I just rewatched that scene! Like why would she literally hit him with more lightning if it didn't work the first time? especially after homeboy literally just gave her ass a science lesson! And she hit that brick wall hard
    That's what she gets for not listening lol

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post
    Personally I don't want Storm to be over claustrophobia. Maybe not every single time be completely overwhelmed. It's truly one of few things that makes her human to me.

I saw it on the cartoon first and was shooked. And when I read clearmont first showing of claustrophobia , I was floored. I was like " oh yeah , she really isn't a Goddess she really is flesh and blood."

I was just reading Sam Humphreys run and there's a scene, where Storm and pslocke are underground in a subway and Storm is visibly struggling with it but is in control and moving the mission forward.

But of course we all know she is a true flesh and blood goddess waiting to ascend.
    Well mutants are humans but yeah she's pretty much a God. Lord knows how Storm fans would react if we saw her lose a battle she should never lose cause of claustrophobia.

does anyone have links to the interview where it is mentioned that Jean was given phoenix to put her on the power levels of Ororo? The link i had now has dead images. if so you can dm me.
    Firstly, the interviews you are referencing were part of an article and retrospective in The Comics Journal #50 (1979) and Fantagraphics Books' 1982 volume The X-Men Companion [TXC], respectively. Both interviews were referenced in Back Issue! #54 (2013). I have copies of the latter (i.e., Back Issue! #54), which I will post relevant scans of below, and will be getting access to the former (i.e., The Comics Journal #50), though I also have the relevant quotes from that article on hand and will share a link to them below. As for The X-Men Companion, I am in the process of searching for it.

Now that clarifying the sources is out of the way, neither Claremont nor Cockrum ever stated or implied that "Jean was given Phoenix to put her on the power levels of Ororo." In fact, Claremont made quite the opposite clear: Phoenix was meant to be the X-Men's first female cosmic superhero. (NOTE: There is some evidence that suggests she was actually Marvel's first female cosmic superhero, but I'm still researching that.) However, after he was met with resistance from the editorial staff—they weren't keen on having a female cosmic superhero—he was forced to reduce Phoenix's powers to Storm's levels. In The Comics Journal #50 (this is referenced in the Back Issue! page posted below), Claremont admitted:

"Dave and I kind of liked the idea that we had a female character who was cosmic. No one else did...Len Wein objected strenuously to our using Firelord if Phoenix beat him. We couldn’t have a lady character who’s cosmic, because – well, his argument was that it made the rest of the X-Men superfluous. We got around it by having the fight be a draw.”
    Not only does the above quote confirm that Jean/Phoenix was intended to be the X-Men's first female cosmic superhero—again, I'm not yet sure if she would've been Marvel's first—but it also makes it implicitly clear that, at the time, Storm was not considered a cosmic superhero. Additionally, during the same interview for The Comics Journal, Claremont continued:

“So anyway, we were told, Dave and I, that Phoenix could not be cosmic...And when the editor passes down an edict, you’re stuck with it. We had to cut her back. So we decided to cut her down to roughly where Storm is, which is fine.”
    He also expounded:

“Phoenix is actually Marvel Girl at her ultimate extent...Phoenix in [Uncanny] X-Men #108, when she saved the universe, was Jean Grey achieving her fullest potential as an entity.”
    (NOTE: As I noted above, the last two quotes from The Comics Journal are not included in the Back Issue! article. Instead, a quote from The X-Men Companion is referenced. As soon as I get access to the direct scans of The Comics Journal article, which should be within the next 1-2 days—I subscribed to their archives subscription—I will post them, too. Here is the source for the last two The Comic Journal quotes: http://secretsbehindthexmen.blogspot...x%20beat%20him.)

Frankly, the above quotes speak for themselves. Now, the quote from The X-Men Companion, which was published in 1982—three years after The Comics Journal interview above—and referenced in the second Back Issue! page posted below, is as follows:

"We had originally envisioned that [Jean/Phoenix] had a power level that was equivalent to Storm's [another of the new X-Men], and that the saving the universe was a one-time-only stunt, that it was Jean achieving her full potential for that one moment...she was drawing on the X-Men for help."
    In the quote above, Claremont claims that he and Cockrum had "originally envisioned that [Jean/Phoenix] had a power level...equivalent to Storm's," which slightly contradicts what he said three years earlier when he noted, "We had to cut [Jean/Phoenix] back. So we decided to cut her down to roughly where Storm is." In either case, the same applies: Not only was the creation of Phoenix not influenced by Storm but Jean/Phoenix at her full potential was considered more powerful than Storm. Moreover, Jean/Phoenix's M'Kraan Crystal feat was meant to showcase her abilities at their fullest potential, which Cockrum confirms, substantiating Claremont's claims above:

“Actually, when we introduced Phoenix I don’t think we intended for her to keep super cosmic powers, because the rest of the group becomes superfluous then...Chris had said something about using the power to save the universe in X-Men #108 (in 1977), but that wiped it to such a degree that it reduced her powers. And after that, theoretically, she was not supposed to be that super-cosmic person.”
    In either case and to reiterate, it is clear that the introduction of Phoenix was 1) not influenced by Storm's power levels; 2) meant to be the introduction of the first female cosmic superhero; 3) meant to represent Jean's full potential as a psi; and 4) was conceived as being more powerful than Storm.

Before I share the Back Issue! pages, I also want to note the following: Jean was categorized by a highly-advanced, bio-sensor-equipped A.I., which were not prone to hyperbole at the time, as having "infinite mental powers" in Uncanny X-Men #48 in 1968. Incidentally, in that same issue she was able to use her telepathy to psi-scan and track an "electronic [robot] brain," which was unheard of then and is rare even now.

This was all nearly a decade before Claremont became the writer for X-Men and introduced Phoenix, or as some of you so affectionately refer to it as: "the burnt chicken." I point this out to underscore the fact that Jean's abilities being referred to as "infinite" far predates Claremont and his Phoenix stories. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is why Jean, as Louise Simonson noted, was his "total favorite." (Here is the video source for Simonson's quote: https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...32186242916357)

Last edited by Mercury; 05-24-2022 at 04:21 PM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    One can argue that, just by their previous works they've already done so and it's now up to the fans and interested persons to do some homework. And I'm almost certain that most comic-book readers just don't care about her that much to make the effort...hence the recent stupid and ignorant rants and arguments. You are basically arguing for a character with someone who doesn't give a **** about the character.
    No.
    If some want to wallow in ignorance go right ahead...I personally don't have any fucks or time to give to them.
    Yeah, you can't wake someone pretending to be asleep.
    Al Ewing made Storm great again! Storm greatest challenge might not be a matter of destruction, but creation.

tchalla fans love him but every instance he's written her he shows he has no clue how to write her powerwise.
    As a T'Challa fan myself, I think Aaron has overall been good to him. He definitely knows how to write a very capable and multifaceted T'Challa. I would just like that same energy for Storm lol.

But in Ewing I trust. I've enjoyed everything I've read from him even before I picked up Red. His Immortal Hulk and Mighty Avengers were great. I think he has Storm's voice down so far and he seems like he has a firm grasp of her powers and abilities.

No thrones on Arakko!
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

As a T'Challa fan myself, I think Aaron has overall been good to him. He definitely knows how to write a very capable and multifaceted T'Challa. I would just like that same energy for Storm lol.

But in Ewing I trust. I've enjoyed everything I've read from him even before I picked up Red. His Immortal Hulk and Mighty Avengers were great. I think he has Storm's voice down so far and he seems like he has a firm grasp of her powers and abilities.

No thrones on Arakko!
    Yeah, the best thing Aaron can do for Storm is stay away from her. Let him keep playing with his cosmic Turkey.
    Al Ewing made Storm great again! Storm greatest challenge might not be a matter of destruction, but creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    No.
    Lol well I agree on the last part of your comments, but I’m not worried about or referring to her detractors (they’ll always do it no matter what facts they get slapped with). My point is specific to writers who clearly struggle, don’t care enough to research, or don’t have the ability to handle her powers for their stories so they at least have points of reference from writers who do vs re-writing her canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Firstly, the interviews you are referencing were part of an article and retrospective in The Comics Journal #50 (1979) and Fantagraphics Books' 1982 volume The X-Men Companion [TXC], respectively. Both interviews were referenced in Back Issue! #54 (2013). I have copies of the latter (i.e., Back Issue! #54), which I will post relevant scans of below, and will be getting access to the former (i.e., The Comics Journal #50), though I also have the relevant quotes from that article on hand and will share a link to them below. As for The X-Men Companion, I am in the process of searching for it.

Now that clarifying the sources is out of the way, neither Claremont nor Cockrum ever stated or implied that "Jean was given Phoenix to put her on the power levels of Ororo." In fact, Claremont made quite the opposite clear: Phoenix was meant to be the X-Men's first female cosmic superhero. (NOTE: There is some evidence that suggests she was actually Marvel's first female cosmic superhero, but I'm still researching that.) However, after he was met with resistance from the editorial staff—they weren't keen on having a female cosmic superhero—he was forced to reduce Phoenix's powers to Storm's levels. In The Comics Journal #50 (this is referenced in the Back Issue! page posted below), Claremont admitted:

Not only does the above quote confirm that Jean/Phoenix was intended to be the X-Men's first female cosmic superhero—again, I'm not yet sure if she would've been Marvel's first—but it also makes it implicitly clear that, at the time, Storm was not considered a cosmic superhero. Additionally, during the same interview for The Comics Journal, Claremont continued:

He also expounded:

(NOTE: As I noted above, the last two quotes from The Comics Journal are not included in the Back Issue! article. Instead, a quote from The X-Men Companion is referenced. As soon as I get access to the direct scans of The Comics Journal article, which should be within the next 1-2 days—I subscribed to their archives subscription—I will post them, too. Here is the source for the last two The Comic Journal quotes: http://secretsbehindthexmen.blogspot...x%20beat%20him.)

Frankly, the above quotes speak for themselves. Now, the quote from The X-Men Companion, which was published in 1982—three years after The Comics Journal interview above—and referenced in the second Back Issue! page posted below, is as follows:

In the quote above, Claremont claims that he and Cockrum had "originally envisioned that [Jean/Phoenix] had a power level...equivalent to Storm's," which slightly contradicts what he said three years earlier when he noted, "We had to cut [Jean/Phoenix] back. So we decided to cut her down to roughly where Storm is." In either case, the same applies: Not only was the creation of Phoenix not influenced by Storm but Jean/Phoenix at her full potential was considered more powerful than Storm. Moreover, Jean/Phoenix's M'Kraan Crystal feat was meant to showcase her abilities at their fullest potential, which Cockrum confirms, substantiating Claremont's claims above:

In either case and to reiterate, it is clear that the introduction of Phoenix was 1) not influenced by Storm's power levels; 2) meant to be the introduction of the first female cosmic superhero; 3) meant to represent Jean's full potential as a psi; and 4) was conceived as being more powerful than Storm.

Before I share the Back Issue! pages, I also want to note the following: Jean was categorized by a highly-advanced, bio-sensor-equipped A.I., which were not prone to hyperbole at the time, as having "infinite mental powers" in Uncanny X-Men #48 in 1968. Incidentally, in that same issue she was able to use her telepathy to psi-scan and track an "electronic [robot] brain," which was unheard of then and is rare even now.

This was all nearly a decade before Claremont became the writer for X-Men and introduced Phoenix, or as some of you so affectionately refer to it as: "the burnt chicken." I point this out to underscore the fact that Jean's abilities being referred to as "infinite" far predates Claremont and his Phoenix stories. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is why Jean, as Louise Simonson noted, was his "total favorite." (Here is the video source for Simonson's quote: https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...32186242916357)

I think Claremont was very clear. Jean was set to Storm's level on Earth and Storm would have eventually reached the level of phoenix as she explored space now. Storm was not cosmic at first but once she went into space she learned she could control the cosmic storm a new aspect of her power. When Jean got phoenix she skipped the earthly stuff and went right to cosmic but had to be brought back down and as such was settled at the high level storm already was on earth. The two's journey was suppose to mirror each other. Jean to show Storm the cosmic world and Storm to explore Jean's will and inner strength on earth. At least that's how i read it. Shame it didn't happen that way. But i'm still hoping Ewing. ^_^
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by LadyXKerrigan View Post
    Lols someone asked me the other day how do I still need to post storm feats in a storm fan group -- and he cant believe that storm feat is still in question --- 35 minutes later someone from the same group disagreed about the vulcan storm fight to the point -- i retagged the person and have him experience explaining to clueless "storm fan" himself and the clueless one was firm in his beliefs like seriously -- its a continuous battle....while I do enjoy this thread for being all legit about storm -- some medium has them members who are basically clueless about her energy manipulation -- i guess this fight is for life - not every storm fan even read comics some of them reacts only when I post about fox movie verse -- and some bandwagon on it with their dear life even -- thats why canon is important imho - some facts were actually based on opinion -- seriously clueless guy even got back stating that since writer is inexperienced blah blah --- thats why he is considering it non canon -- even if it was already print -- like seriously where was he basing his "fact" even -- and I am not yet even starting with tiktok people who give out "facts based on opinions" on Storm like come on....now i like people with guts but people who create fake news nope -- not with my favorite character
    i have honestly never been to tik tok but yeesh you guys scare me. It sounds like ya'll are dealing with people that would make my brain sweat and give me hives. lol. I just don't have the energy to defend most times a lone storm. lol. I know when i've reached a point not one can change my view, i don't need to say anything else after that. lol That could be quiet pigheadedness though now that i think about it, but it works for me. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/