Page 4 of 833 FirstFirst 123456781454104504 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This! and that's why it's hard to think of Storm in terms of solo now because she is regent of a solar system so when i think in terms of solo i'm thinking 50% storm 50% her cast of characters that include her staff, her people, etc etc. Storm for all intents and purposes is at the point where she could truly become a franchise and that's part of the reason i don't think Claremont would be the right writer to move her forward.

Or even a true modern royal in the MU. Storm is the first character in forever that when i think of i now think in terms of Doom/Tchalla/Thor/Namor because for all intents and purposes with Arrako and Sol she is basically at that level now for mutants. It's kind of cool to see.
    Two things with your post.

One I would love for Clermont to continue writing Storm. He just seems to get her. But I agree with making her more modern and freash.
    I say it would take a team of two writer. Clermont to lay down the Script and another writer(Ghost writer) to jazz it up and add modern elements.

Two

"in terms of Doom/Tchalla/Thor/Namor because for all intents and purposes with Arrako and Sol she is basically at that level now for mutants. It's kind of cool to see."

Is there another Women in the MU that's in the position Storm is in now or has been. Cause I couldn't help but notice all the name you mentioned were men.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post

One I would love for Clermont to continue writing Storm. He just seems to get her. But I agree with making her more modern and freash.
    I say it would take a team of two writer. Clermont to lay down the Script and another writer(Ghost writer) to jazz it up and add modern elements.

Two

"in terms of Doom/Tchalla/Thor/Namor because for all intents and purposes with Arrako and Sol she is basically at that level now for mutants. It's kind of cool to see."

Is there another Women in the MU that's in the position Storm is in now or has been. Cause I couldn't help but notice all the name you mentioned were men.
    That is also what is so exciting about it. She is the first female from Earth in this role. To see another queen of an empire or goddess you have to go to some abstract planet like the Shiar or the Skrull home world and that's also what i mean by the power behind the idea that Storm is more than a solo now in that sense. I think the biggest mistake writers make imo with characters like Thor, Tchalla, Doom, basically kings and figures is thinking a solo should be all about them. No they are rulers we want to see them rule and we want to see what they are ruling and who is helping just as much as we want to see them react to those things and outside threats so that's why i say 50% storm and 50% the world that influence her decisions and those in it when it comes to a solo. Like game of thrones no one would want to just follow the story of the king or queen we need to know what they are surrounded by and what they surround themselves with and how that reaches out and reverberates back in, jmho. If a normal character needs a supporting cast a king or Queen needs triple.

I think while Claremont could do a great job with a ghost writer perhaps an encyclopedia on storm where it culminates what there is now with his ideas on how he would have gotten there with some art and stuff. Maybe like a Grand Design: Storm.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm going to miss this outfit.
    Voices Olivier Coipel.jpg
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Agreed. Ewing planted a very interesting scene of a clearly challenging fight Ororo endured to become Regent, but I am curious what happened that lead up to that. What was said and with whom that lead her to pursue the role, and what does she plan to do with it.

Gorgeous! What I would give for him to hanle the interior for a Storm focused story.

Great response. I love your ideas. We align on many of them. The points I most agree on:

- Storm needs some credible rogues that are unique suited to challenge her. Orbis Stellaris and the Lethal Legion could be a nice start, and I think we will see how Orbis used their last battle to prep for the next one. But one thing I would add that other team book and solo heroes outside of the X-Verse get that she and X-Men rarely do - is get tested against rogues that have been battle-tested/proven. A rogue is respected in terms of power, skill, tactics, etc. that can compete in ways that would push Storm. It's like we've seen IW take on Doom solo (even the Avengers) or Monica Rambeau prove herself against olympian gods. Storm needs some match up along those lines.

- Use her agency in a way that has impact. Storm is 'involved' in events in varying degrees, but it has been decades since she has been an agent of change. She is the former Queen of Wakanda and a clear political and protective ally. She is a member of both the QC and The Great Ring. She is the Regent of Arakko and the Voice of Sol. She is a highly respected hero on earth and respected diplomatic ally of the Shiar. I don't see Storm wasting all of these connections by not using them in ways that matter to her. If she is to lead the defensive forces of the Sol System I want to see her make use of her agency and connections that shows that is not only a powerful and skilled warrior in the combat arena, but she is also just as capable as a visionary leader.

This is of course in addition to what we get from Red whenever Brand's betrayal comes to light, but speaking more for where these titles she holds takes in her in the long term.

- Power Development - More defensive applications mainly. I love the powerful and deadly displays of power, especially when applied skillfully and with strategic intelligence (Orbis Stellaris did not see Storm manipulating air pressure to cause their army of cyborgs to explode, which was epic). But I would also like to see Storm's electric shield or compressed air shield become a standard part of her combat use. I don't want to see it offset her prowess in combat like a crutch, but as an augmentation to her overall effectiveness.

I also hope for more combat intelligence, like we saw in SWORD, being a standard application for all X-Men writing. I feel like Ewing demonstrated that well in the Last Annihilation. Like I hate seeing seasoned combat veterans dumbed down/nerfed to play out a fight a specific way for story purposes vs characters showing they know how to use their powers and skills intelligently, even if they still lose (someone can always have a bad day/moment but not because they're an idiot).

LMAO on the bold. 100% agreed and we need a LOT MORE of that PLEASE!
    I have been thinking about orbis Stellaris and as an intelligent villain I expect him to really test storm's abilities and capabilities. For example take her to a planet where there is no atmosphere or star so he can deal with her. I wonder how storms abilities would respond seeing as omega powers are very prone to rapid evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post

Two

Storm is for all intended prurposes the most powerful mutant and woman politically and economically in marvel with her only rivals being xandria who basically worships her and well I can't think of any other. Her currency the Sol is the backbone of intergalactic economy and she is literally at the helm of power. This is good for not only mutants but women and black people. Seeing one of their own soooo elevated above all others must be refreshing. Like even the intergalactic empire of wakanda who rejected her currency have her as part of their pantheon the Hadari Yao. The conflict and potential charachter build up this has for storm is insane. Hope they make excellent use for itm also now she is the top dog I expect her to be just as powerful looking forward to xmen red, immortal xmen not soo much still think it would be a "white" feminism book. But hey who knows.

Also it's beautiful how storm is a legend and a defacto god for a planet of skrulls. They would forever speak of her name and deeds with upmost reverence.
    Last edited by Reigna; 01-03-2022 at 07:18 AM.

Astonishing Member

Was randomly thinking about some new power uses I've never seen Storm do but are well within her capabilities.....

- Sound Cancellation (using control of air molecules, currents and pressure to cancel out the vibrations of sound, thus masking her presence, keeping guards from alerting her enemies to her presence, erecting shield bubbles that keep anyone on the other side of them from overhearing what she's saying inside one, or even negating sonic attacks)

- Thunder generation (the inverse of the above, using the same properties that make thunder but without the accompanying lightning strike, in effect using a thunderclap itself as a weapon, creating a shockwave or sonic boom at close quarter range)

- Breath control (the opposite of like when Invisible Woman creates globes around a person's head to starve off their oxygen supply and knock them out, Storm could similarly create a vacuum of air around a person and redirect the oxygen away from them - even most superstrong opponents still need to breathe)

- Toxic cloud generation (have Manifold take her on quick jaunts to other planets to study their non-hospitable atmospheres and how they're generated....theoretically, as long as the necessary elements are all hanging around in SOME quantities, Storm should be more than capable of drawing them together via winds and air pressure and combining them to form clouds of methane or chlorine gas)

- manipulate auroras as a weapon or display of power (Auroras are generated by the impact of cosmic radiation, solar winds and a planet's magnetic fields all combining and interacting in the upper atmosphere, thus with the proper atmospheric control or fine tuning, Storm could manipulate the shape and intensity of these natural light shows for a variety of effects)

- EM Spectrum and radio wave manipulation (by manipulating the atmosphere between points A and B, Storm could hack, intercept or interfere with radio transmissions and many other types dependent on transmitting wavelengths through an atmospheric medium)

- Neural knockout (attuning her senses to picking up the minute instead of the infinite, feeling for the electrical discharges happening within a person's brain activity and nervous system and just rapidly ionizing the air around them just enough to overload their natural bio-electric rhythms, without requiring any kind of visible attack like a lightning strike)

- creating unique and wholly stabilized/self-sufficient weather phenomena (on Mars, the atmosphere is Storm's to mold....the very newness of it and lack of pre-existing ecological patterns allows her to fine tune the weather patterns in ways she doesn't have the luxury of doing on Earth, providing room for her to tailor specific weather systems or areas to achieve specific, engineered effects for the Arakkii's purposes. For example, in Venezuela, there's a place called Catatumbo River where at the place where the mouth of the river empties into a lake, due to the specific geography of the area and the way it traps/enables near constant stormclouds, there are regular lightning storms a good half the year. In the past, its been at times a nearly year round phenomenon, and Storm could literally mold the atmosphere to match up with the geography in various places to achieve specific effects like this in order to say, create areas that can literally supercharge energy-dependent machinery or mutant powers year round)

- the face from The Mummy Returns (look I don't know how else to describe it but if anyone else has seen The Mummy Returns with Brendan Fraser and that part where the villain chases their air ship with a wall of water that forms his face as it pursues them - picture Storm concentrating so intently on shaping clouds and winds she sends after her enemies that her mind and will essentially become merged with them to such an extent that the clouds and winds themselves appear to be her face, basically a giant storm elemental of wrath)

Stuff like that.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 01-03-2022 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Was randomly thinking about some new power uses I've never seen Storm do but are well within her capabilities.....

- Sound Cancellation (using control of air molecules, currents and pressure to cancel out the vibrations of sound, thus masking her presence, keeping guards from alerting her enemies to her presence, erecting shield bubbles that keep anyone on the other side of them from overhearing what she's saying inside one, or even negating sonic attacks)

- Thunder generation (the inverse of the above, using the same properties that make thunder but without the accompanying lightning strike, in effect using a thunderclap itself as a weapon, creating a shockwave or sonic boom at close quarter range)

- Breath control (the opposite of like when Invisible Woman creates globes around a person's head to starve off their oxygen supply and knock them out, Storm could similarly create a vacuum of air around a person and redirect the oxygen away from them - even most superstrong opponents still need to breathe)

- Toxic cloud generation (have Manifold take her on quick jaunts to other planets to study their non-hospitable atmospheres and how they're generated....theoretically, as long as the necessary elements are all hanging around in SOME quantities, Storm should be more than capable of drawing them together via winds and air pressure and combining them to form clouds of methane or chlorine gas)

- manipulate auroras as a weapon or display of power (Auroras are generated by the impact of cosmic radiation, solar winds and a planet's magnetic fields all combining and interacting in the upper atmosphere, thus with the proper atmospheric control or fine tuning, Storm could manipulate the shape and intensity of these natural light shows for a variety of effects)

- EM Spectrum and radio wave manipulation (by manipulating the atmosphere between points A and B, Storm could hack, intercept or interfere with radio transmissions and many other types dependent on transmitting wavelengths through an atmospheric medium)

- Neural knockout (attuning her senses to picking up the minute instead of the infinite, feeling for the electrical discharges happening within a person's brain activity and nervous system and just rapidly ionizing the air around them just enough to overload their natural bio-electric rhythms, without requiring any kind of visible attack like a lightning strike)

- creating unique and wholly stabilized/self-sufficient weather phenomena (on Mars, the atmosphere is Storm's to mold....the very newness of it and lack of pre-existing ecological patterns allows her to fine tune the weather patterns in ways she doesn't have the luxury of doing on Earth, providing room for her to tailor specific weather systems or areas to achieve specific, engineered effects for the Arakkii's purposes. For example, in Venezuela, there's a place called Catatumbo River where at the place where the mouth of the river empties into a lake, due to the specific geography of the area and the way it traps/enables near constant stormclouds, there are regular lightning storms a good half the year. In the past, its been at times a nearly year round phenomenon, and Storm could literally mold the atmosphere to match up with the geography in various places to achieve specific effects like this in order to say, create areas that can literally supercharge energy-dependent machinery or mutant powers year round)

- the face from The Mummy Returns (look I don't know how else to describe it but if anyone else has seen The Mummy Returns with Brendan Fraser and that part where the villain chases their air ship with a wall of water that forms his face as it pursues them - picture Storm concentrating so intently on shaping clouds and winds she sends after her enemies that her mind and will essentially become merged with them to such an extent that the clouds and winds themselves appear to be her face, basically a giant storm elemental of wrath)

Stuff like that.
    These are all really cool but as i'm reading them im honestly thinking when is she going to use all of that. i mean in theory all of that is great but i think what works for storm is she can do all those things so what is most important is what does the story call for or i would rather someone take a list like this and think what scares someone with this kind of power because that's a villain i definitely want to see. lol. When i think of feats i think of a reason behind it. Like in greg pak her tearing the solar system open was great not because it was just a feat but why, the water was rushing towards the people, storm had seconds to react and it was choice between current life and later life and she came up with a 3rd and evaporated all the water. It wasn't a feat just for the sake or at least it didn't feel like it.

Like fine tuning the planet in particular, i think it would be cool to see her going around talking to the people and them perhaps telling her what they need in that area climate wise to sustain their community. That would be a good reason for her to explore sustainable mini climates.

Sound cancellation i believe she has done before when she snuck up on Rachel and Psylocke and she also did it in her min with cable when she was thought to be dead. She has also used thunder as an attack before as well as straight heat in bob woods run when she raised the tempature.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

I would like to see here create sentient monsters out of the elements. Something like a storm chuthulu would put the fear of God in almost anyone.

cthulhu.jpg
    Cthulhu's_Descent.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    These are all really cool but as i'm reading them im honestly thinking when is she going to use all of that. i mean in theory all of that is great but i think what works for storm is she can do all those things so what is most important is what does the story call for or i would rather someone take a list like this and think what scares someone with this kind of power because that's a villain i definitely want to see. lol. When i think of feats i think of a reason behind it. Like in greg pak her tearing the solar system open was great not because it was just a feat but why, the water was rushing towards the people, storm had seconds to react and it was choice between current life and later life and she came up with a 3rd and evaporated all the water. It wasn't a feat just for the sake or at least it didn't feel like it.

Like fine tuning the planet in particular, i think it would be cool to see her going around talking to the people and them perhaps telling her what they need in that area climate wise to sustain their community. That would be a good reason for her to explore sustainable mini climates.

Sound cancellation i believe she has done before when she snuck up on Rachel and Psylocke and she also did it in her min with cable when she was thought to be dead. She has also used thunder as an attack before as well as straight heat in bob woods run when she raised the tempature.
    That's fair. I think its more that I don't really think of power uses in terms of feats because the power uses that stick out in my mind are always innately the ones that serve a story purpose to begin with, y'know? So its kinda implied to me that a power usage should serve the story first and foremost rather than just exist for its own sake, but I definitely should have made that clarification, sorry. Honestly this was more just me thinking about diversifying Storm's portfolio similar to the way the air pressure attack in the last SWORD issue added to it, so that its not always just her hurling lightning bolts and hurricane winds as a default. Personally, I think the more interesting power usages and displays of power are the ones that showcase precision and an intimate awareness of all the things one can do with their own power, and I def think there's a lot of interesting story possibilities that arise from using her atmokinesis to manipulate sound, radio waves, auroras, EM spectrum and stuff like that in a sci-fi setting such as SWORD/X-Men Red, so I was just kinda brainstorming interesting avenues to explore there rather than just lightning for its effect on machinery.

For instance, I've heard people argue enough in the past about Storm being limited on spaceships because of the absence of weather that I kinda took Ewing's last SWORD issue as a subtle refutation of that like, look, she doesn't need anything other than air pressure to take down an army, and even spaceships have that.

Also something I was thinking of along similar lines is just how many mutants there are who only have like....a finite slice of Storm's power.....like wind manipulators like Wind Dancer or electricity generators or hydrokinetics......I would love to at some point see some acknowledgment of how Storm's powerset encompasses so MANY different mutant abilities under one single umbrella that like, she as a single individual can teach more mutants about the ins and outs of their specific powers than most anyone else out there.

Like how Brand had back-ups listed for most of her major SWORD personnel, people who could sub in for various individuals in a crisis or lack of availability.....I don't know if anyone here reads DC, but there's a famous story where Batman has a box containing his contingency plan for every major DC hero in case they ever go Rogue. And then it gets to Wonder Woman and her box is empty, and when asked why, Batman says 'because Wonder Woman doesn't HAVE a Kryptonite.'

It could make for kinda a cool moment I think for something similar to happen in X-Men Red or somewhere else.....the point hammered home that there is no back-up, no sub for an omega like Storm....omega isn't just a barometer for how powerful she is, its also a measure of the breadth of her abilities.....it'd take a whole circuit of a dozen other TYPES of mutants to even come close to doing a lot of what she does herself. Something like that, if that makes sense?
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 01-03-2022 at 08:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Hickman reveals that an initial plan for Storm in "Giant-Size X-Men" was gonna be that she's pregnant with T'Challa's baby and said baby was gonna be raised in The World. An heir of 2 Kingdoms who would unify them. Start around the 1h38 mark to listen:

https://www.xplainthexmen.com/2022/0...ze-special-10/

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Hickman reveals that an initial plan for Storm in "Giant-Size X-Men" was gonna be that she's pregnant with T'Challa's baby and said baby was gonna be raised in The World. An heir of 2 Kingdoms who would unify them. Start around the 1h38 mark to listen:

Hahaha i am so happy this did NOT happen. lol. Let storm do the unifying she is in her 20s why would they need a whole new character to come in and basically replace it's parent's at the start of their legacies.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

The Cloud Face feat was in an X-Men Annual (just before she got married to T'Challa.
    The Sound Barrier feat was in Extreme X-Men so she and Yukio could talk in private.
    Air/Breath Vacuum she's done a few times once against Magneto using a vortex around him. And directly on Wakandan soldiers in her World Apart mini.
    She threatened to give Sinister a brain aneurysm by manipulating his synapses.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

OMG like i can't unsee it now, we really dodged a bullet. Even thinking of the scenes now it fits that narrative. The fainting at the beginning, Jean and Emma coming out the room and instead telling Cyclops/Wolverine that Storm was pregnant. Whoo! Thank whoever got in front of this one. lmao. like the draft was done.

And technically the story did end with Storm having a baby but it's a technobaby mixed with whatever it got from her, that is being raised in the world and Douglas said he would see later. LOL. i definitely prefer half robot techno organic virus baby. lol
    Last edited by jwatson; 01-03-2022 at 09:04 AM.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Yupp. Sometimes bad things happening behind the scenes are for a really good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post

I don't know what to say to that, as much as I'd want to see a child of the Storm, I think it's too early now, and considering it would be at the beginning of the Hickman Era, some things now could change or even delay...